• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Thanks Dopey!!

RACE - 10K
NAME - Sheena, DH Dan, DS Matthew 13
DIS'er name - AZMermaid
Costume/Clothing -loosely bound in athletic wear as Daisy, Donald and Huey
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration -10mm on registration, that was optimistic šŸ˜¬
Club runDisney Platinum? -
(Yes or No) no
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) probably not
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - early-ish
Expected Race Pace -12mm

RACE -Half
NAME - Sheena
DIS'er name -AZMermaid
Costume/Clothing - loosely bound as Goofy in athletic wear
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 2:30
(Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes- hopefully
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group -middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - early-ish
Expected Race Pace - 12-13mm

RACE - 5k
NAME - Sophia
DIS'er name -StarGirl11
Costume/Clothing - Bright Orange Camp half blood shirt though your more likely to realize who I am based on the bright red wheelchair Iā€™m in
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - I honestly donā€™t remember and tbh it doesnā€™t matter as much in my case. I think I told the rd people 40 minutes when I needed to give them the info.
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) no
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) no could change depending on the info from the race people about how our morning is going to go but most likely no
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Back of chairs
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early Bird
Expected Race Pace - 12 min/mile between stops. 15 min/mile with stops

RACE - 10k
NAME - Sophia
DIS'er name -StarGirl11
Costume/Clothing - Undecided right now though might do Barbie again though again your more likely to realize who I am based on the bright red wheelchair Iā€™m in
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - I honestly donā€™t remember and tbh it doesnā€™t matter as much in my case. I think I told the rd people 70 minutes when I needed to give them the info.
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) no could change depending on the info from the race people about how our morning is going to go but most likely no

RACE - Half Marathom
NAME - Sophia
DIS'er name -StarGirl11
Costume/Clothing - Bright red dress that will probably have a layer of a shirt I donā€™t know about what color yet under it depending on the weather. Probably red too. though your more likely to realize who I am based on the bright red wheelchair Iā€™m in
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - I honestly donā€™t remember and tbh it doesnā€™t matter as much in my case. I think I told the rd people 2:30 half when I needed to give them the info.
The start of figuring out pre-race meetup locations and the Disneyland DIS List:

5k - Friday

View attachment 821185

Race starts inside Disneyland just to the southeast of the castle. The last time I was able to find a race starting inside the Disneyland park was in 2013. Here's a youtube video for reference.

I can't tell if there were corrals that year either, but it doesn't look like it based on the bibs.

Based on the event guide, the staging area and corrals open at 4:00am with a race start at 5:00am. There doesn't appear to be a queueing area other than the corrals themselves. So maybe meeting up outside one of the Main Street USA buildings from like 4:00-4:20am and then people can be on their way if desired. Maybe Plaza Point which is the last building on Main Street USA before you reach the main circle area.

View attachment 821184

Tortilla Joe's meetup - Friday at 2pm

Putting this here, but it was previously discussed about doing a Hurricane Hannah's like meetup outside of the race mornings on Friday at 2pm at Tortilla Jo's.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/tortilla-jos/

Is there an outdoor bar area that's accessible without reservations like Hurricane Hannah's?

10k/HM - Saturday/Sunday

Here is the pre-race map for the 10k/HM. The timing is the same for both events:

3:30am staging area opens
4:00am corrals open
5:00am race starts

View attachment 821186

I wasn't able to find any Google Maps images from inside that particular parking lot, but I was able to find an image from Disney Way. The following image is taken roughly where the letter "B" appears on the above image.

View attachment 821188

So again, the above image would be like if I were standing in the "B" corral for the 10k/HM and looking back at the staging area. The entrance to the parking lot makes a natural pinch point for checking bibs entering into the corrals.

If I zoom in on the parking lot and looking dead center from this entrance on the right side, you can see three tall light poles.

View attachment 821199

Comparing this image to the pre-race staging area and I think I can determine with some confidence that the stage is going to be setup along the covered fence and by those trees on the northside of the parking lot. That's where the three light poles are. The one marked in red is the furthest north and closest to the stage. The second one marked in yellow is in the middle of the line of them and doesn't have a security camera attached at the top. The third is marked in green and does have a security camera attached. To the west of those three tall light poles are three others that are south of what I'm calling "Entrance A". One by Entrance A, one by the portas on the other side of that hedge, and the one in the middle. I'm proposing we meet at the one in the middle. If all else fails, just keep visiting the middle light poles and eventually you should find us. Best I can tell, there's only two middle ones to choose from as the third looks like it should be in the finisher area. For a staging area map, I'm thinking it looks something like this:

View attachment 821198

I'm planning on being at Entrance B at 3:30am and will head straight to the meet up location. I'll probably be there from 3:30-3:45am if possible. But I need to be towards the front of the corral A, so I'll probably make my way over towards the corrals around when they are scheduled to open at 4:00am. Although others are certainly welcome to stick around there longer.

Once we get a consensus as to whether these meetup ideas will work, I'll put something together.

Additionally, as requested, @The Expert would like something like Marathon Weekend's DIS List for this Disneyland race. So if you want to be on the DIS List, please give me the following information for each of the races you are participating in. Either myself or @The Expert will compile the list and send it out:

2024 DISNEYLAND DIS LIST

Alright everyone, as promised I will put together a spreadsheet that has everyone that wishes to participate in the spreadsheet's information on it. We do this as a means to help people find each other on race day at either the pre-race/post-race meet-ups, in the starting groups, or just by chance on the course. I will ask for information and you can choose to provide or not provide any information as you desire (or not participate at all). The only key parts are Dis name, estimated pace/POT from registration, and expected pace. All others are optional. This will also be helpful to your family and spectators because it provides "time of day" markers for when you should reach different milestones based on your estimated pace and starting time (starting group).

So for every race that you (or friend/family member) plan to participate in (so Dumbo people I need each race separately, 5k, 10k, HM) please provide me the following:

RACE -
NAME -
DIS'er name -
Costume/Clothing -
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration -
(Yes or No)
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No)
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group -
Early Bird or Late Arriver -
Expected Race Pace -

I will compile everyone's response into a single spreadsheet and then distribute this when we get closer to race day. As for the optional items, the following reasons have been given for why someone may choose not to provide:

NAME - Because I want internet anonymity. Just first name or initials are fine. Or nothing at all is fine too.
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration: If you know now that you will be starting in a different group than assigned, then give me the group you plan to start in. The estimate for the M/HM should be the estimated finish time you selected (for instance 4:30-5:00 for a M or Dopey). I will assume one starting group on a single HM/M bib for Dopey runners. So whatever your M assignment will be the same as your HM assignment.
Pre-Race Meet-up? - Not required to attend or not attend the meet up. Just gives us an idea of who to look out for morning of.
Early Bird or Late arriver just means whether you think you'll arrive to the meet-up/starting group early in the race morning or late in the race morning.
Front, Middle, Back of corral just means where you plan on lining up when the race starts. This helps people find you easier in a crowd if say two people are in C, that are early birds, and front people. Then I'd look for your costume on race day. As well it helps with timing to know whether you're closer to the front of your group or back.

Once I "like" your post with the above information in it I have added you to the compiled list.

I will include timing information about the races based on past history but no guarantee they follow the same system as before.
Just a note Tinkerbell was doing in park starts all the way up until the final year in 2017. I should have some photos give me a minute

Apparently supposedly the 5k is supposed to have formal corrals. Iā€™m not sure how thatā€™s going to work because from what I remember from the multiple years doing the in park 5ks was it was basically a free for all. Where you lined up is where you started basically regardless of corrals. And based on a conversation I had with rD it sounds like wheelchairs will be going backstage to get to the front to avoid that. So it doesnā€™t seemed to have changed.

The fact they have the AWD placement right under a light pole is already giving me not the best vibes. Thereā€™s people in that group that are sensitive to bright lights. Guess thatā€™s going to be a conversation to have on things not to do going forward for future races

On the bright side considering how close everything is I might actually make the meetup for once depending on how they have the start planned for us.

Tortilla Joe's meetup - Friday at 2pm

Putting this here, but it was previously discussed about doing a Hurricane Hannah's like meetup outside of the race mornings on Friday at 2pm at Tortilla Jo's.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/tortilla-jos/

Is there an outdoor bar area that's accessible without reservations like Hurricane Hannah's?

I know there is outdoor seating, including a bar, but it is fenced off iirc. I dropped them a note on social media and if they don't respond, I'll give them a call.

UPDATE: we're good!
Screenshot_20231229_174530_Messenger.jpg

Last edited:
So no guarantees that this will be the same for Disneyland because of different theming. But they have done Tink flybies before

2017:

IMG_2403.jpegIMG_2411.jpeg
2015 (no 2016, either I didnā€™t take photos or I skipped. Considering other health issues going on could be either one):

IMG_0162.jpeg
IMG_0179.jpegIMG_0166.jpeg

Unfortunately donā€™t have anything before 2015. I know I did Tink every year. But these are the only years for in park start photos I have

I know there is outdoor seating, including a bar, but it is fenced off iirc. I dropped them a note on social media and if they don't respond, I'll give them a call. Other options:

1. Pick an area in Downtown Disney to just hang out. People could visit a walk-up counter, booth, Starbucks, or to-go window and get what they want. Most (all?) seating is somewhat limited and uncovered.
2. The pool at DL hotel or GC -- both have bars but they (or their seating) may be inside a fenced area.
3. Try the Hearthstone Lodge at GC and hope they aren't full at 2pm on a Friday. It's indoors with food and drink available. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/hearthstone-lounge/
2 just flat out doesnā€™t work for anyone not staying on property. I donā€™t know about GC. But I know DL is behind a fenced area you need a room key to get in. And Iā€™m checking out but still I donā€™t think most people would not want to be the one to potentially get in trouble with Disney security by letting a large group into that area.

If weā€™re talking about meeting up around the hotels though. Technically Trader Sams is right there. But thatā€™s usually pretty popular so I would rely on that even less than Hearthstone Lounge

So should I wait till 4am get food then go to stage area or go to stage area right at 3:30 so I can get all the character pics. What are guys thoughts and what are u guys doing in the morning?
At previous Disneyland races, there were no characters before or after the races. There were a few large displays that you could get a photo in front of, but no characters. At the expos, they may have had photo backgrounds, but I don't recall ever seeing characters.

Characters were inside the theme parks, but no characters outside the parks. I would anticipate that characters will be near their respective lands. So princesses in Fantasyland or near the castle, Star Wars if applicable in Galaxy's Edge, Marvel in Avengers Campus, and so forth. In 2012, I got a photo with Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip in front of the castle and Darth Vader and some stormtroopers in Tomorrowland. It's worth also noting that sometimes the Disneyland race character photo waits are insanely long. As in 20-30 minute waits especially if the character is rare.

For Star Wars and Avengers races, there were some cosplay groups out along the city streets, but I do not anticipate that being the case this time.

I would not plan on character photos before or after the race outside the parks until we see it actually happen. As can sometimes be the case with Disney World races, there might be parade floats and such out along the course.

And while I think that most people here already know this, I want to repeat it in case anyone reading does not know. Your per mile time absolutely includes all stops during the mile for whatever reason. So if you run a mile in 6 minutes, but spend 20 minutes for character photos, you ran a 26 minute mile. If that places you behind the balloon ladies, you will be swept. I have overheard disappointed runners express surprise at being swept because while they were running 10 minute paces when running, they did not know that 10-15 minutes in line also counted towards their per mile pace.

If you're going to the parks afterwards, there will be plenty of opportunities for medal photos with characters. And they quite often make a huge deal out of your medal(s).

Side note, but something to think about:

1703888573585.png

If you have equal accessibility to Entrance A and B, I think Entrance A is a straight shot into the pre-race staging area. Entrance B likely has to continue north on that road, the turn west onto the road labeled "To Corrals E-F" to head towards the Entrance A. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing strongly that you won't be able to scoot past Corrals E, D, and C to get into the orange arrow area where I think they'll be doing a bib check. Don't know this for sure, but that's how I see them logistically designing the above image.

RACE - Half
NAME - Martin
DIS'er name - marty3d
Costume/Clothing - Likely the race shirt - or the MW Half shirt
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 2:00 to 2:15 (POT is 58:58 10k and was in B for W&D)
(Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes - hopefully!
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early (depending on food!)
Expected Race Pace - 12mm

I know there is outdoor seating, including a bar, but it is fenced off iirc. I dropped them a note on social media and if they don't respond, I'll give them a call. Other options:

1. Pick an area in Downtown Disney to just hang out. People could visit a walk-up counter, booth, Starbucks, or to-go window and get what they want. Most (all?) seating is somewhat limited and uncovered.
2. The pool at DL hotel or GC -- both have bars but they (or their seating) may be inside a fenced area.
3. Try the Hearthstone Lodge at GC and hope they aren't full at 2pm on a Friday. It's indoors with food and drink available. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/hearthstone-lounge/
oooohā€¦.. We think weā€™ll get in Friday around 2, but Iā€™m gonna try.

2 just flat out doesnā€™t work for anyone not staying on property. I donā€™t know about GC. But I know DL is behind a fenced area you need a room key to get in. And Iā€™m checking out but still I donā€™t think most people would not want to be the one to potentially get in trouble with Disney security by letting a large group into that area.

If weā€™re talking about meeting up around the hotels though. Technically Trader Sams is right there. But thatā€™s usually pretty popular so I would rely on that even less than Hearthstone Lounge
The Craftsman Bar at GCH is not fenced in and is poolside. My old lifeguard self cringesā€¦ But I think itā€™s table service during lunch so probably wouldnā€™t work.

We're good at Tortilla Joe's!

Screenshot_20231229_174530_Messenger.jpg

At previous Disneyland races, there were no characters before or after the races. There were a few large displays that you could get a photo in front of, but no characters. At the expos, they may have had photo backgrounds, but I don't recall ever seeing characters.

Characters were inside the theme parks, but no characters outside the parks. I would anticipate that characters will be near their respective lands. So princesses in Fantasyland or near the castle, Star Wars if applicable in Galaxy's Edge, Marvel in Avengers Campus, and so forth. In 2012, I got a photo with Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip in front of the castle and Darth Vader and some stormtroopers in Tomorrowland. It's worth also noting that sometimes the Disneyland race character photo waits are insanely long. As in 20-30 minute waits especially if the character is rare.

For Star Wars and Avengers races, there were some cosplay groups out along the city streets, but I do not anticipate that being the case this time.

I would not plan on character photos before or after the race outside the parks until we see it actually happen. As can sometimes be the case with Disney World races, there might be parade floats and such out along the course.

And while I think that most people here already know this, I want to repeat it in case anyone reading does not know. Your per mile time absolutely includes all stops during the mile for whatever reason. So if you run a mile in 6 minutes, but spend 20 minutes for character photos, you ran a 26 minute mile. If that places you behind the balloon ladies, you will be swept. I have overheard disappointed runners express surprise at being swept because while they were running 10 minute paces when running, they did not know that 10-15 minutes in line also counted towards their per mile pace.

If you're going to the parks afterwards, there will be plenty of opportunities for medal photos with characters. And they quite often make a huge deal out of your medal(s).
I got great photos with Stitch after my first marathon, and Merida signed my 10K medal the year she was the race theme!

I did do Disneyland run in 2016 10k. It was my first rundisney run and my only Disneyland run. I thought I just did not see the characters before the race. I did not realize there was just no characters. That run I was able to eat at the Earl of Sandwhich it was open before the run and I got a yummy breakfast sandwich. Earl of sandwhich is not even opening up early enough to get it before the race this time... bah... (6am or 7am). Why are they even opening up early if it is not before the race? Useless.

Here is some fun pics of me with my food that morning. I sat in the stands and ate it.
FB_IMG_1703892750895.jpg
FB_IMG_1703892755013.jpg
And watched the show. The stage
FB_IMG_1703892743393.jpg
I wonder if they will continue the no characters thing ahead of the race... if there is no characters out for the 10k... I will probably put a priority of breakfast then on half.

Hi!
@DopeyBadger thanks for the research and guidance.

This is my info:

RACE - 5K
NAME - Diana
DIS'er name - DianaMB333
Costume/Clothing - race shirt
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - the slowest one in the list
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) Yes
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - hopefully front
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - Walking

RACE - 10K
NAME - Diana
DIS'er name - DianaMB333
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - the slowest one
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front
Expected Race Pace - Walking most likely

RACE - Half
NAME - Diana
DIS'er name - DianaMB333
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - the slowest one
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front
Expected Race Pace - 15/16mm

Iā€™m not doing the 5K to save a little money (and sleep) so Iā€™ll be glad to hear about how the race morning goes before the 10k!

I hope everyone has their park reservations. It sounds like Sunday is sold out across the board. I know multiple people who waited and now cannot get reservations, I hope more open. I fly in on Monday the 8th and Iā€™m limited to 4 reservations with my magic key. I have Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday, and a one day PH ticket (which was astronomically expensive) for Saturday since Iā€™m blocked out. Iā€™ll have to pick up Wednesday and Thursday as I go, hopefully. Iā€™m just going in after work on the weekdays so itā€™s not the end of the world if I canā€™t get in but it would be pretty sad!

Last edited:
RACE - 10k
NAME - Marcea
DIS'er name - DisneyMountainWomen
Costume/Clothing - Small World costume
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - what ever the first one without pot
(Yes or No) no
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) no
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - front
Early Bird or Late Arriver - early
Expected Race Pace - 14 to15 min

RACE -Half
NAME - Marcea
DIS'er name - DisneyMountainWomen
Costume/Clothing - Dumbo costume
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - what ever the first one without pot
(Yes or No) no
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) no
Expected Race Pace - 14 to15 min

Iā€™m not doing the 5K to save a little money (and sleep) so Iā€™ll be glad to hear about how the race morning goes before the 10k!

I hope everyone has their park reservations. It sounds like Sunday is sold out across the board. I know multiple people who waited and now cannot get reservations, I hope more open. I fly in on Monday the 8th and Iā€™m limited to 4 reservations with my magic key. I have Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday, and a one day PH ticket (which was astronomically expensive) for Saturday since Iā€™m blocked out. Iā€™ll have to pick up Wednesday and Thursday as I go, hopefully. Iā€™m just going in after work on the weekends so itā€™s not the end of the world if I canā€™t get in but it would be pretty sad!
That would be me. But thanks to seeing this message, I just bought tickets and reserved the other days. I hope that Sunday becomes available, or else I'll have to make a quick 10-minute trip into a park on Wednesday before I leave.

RACE - 10K
NAME - Kevin
DIS'er name - fatmanatee
Costume/Clothing - No idea, maybe I'll break out one of my MW shirts depending on the temperature
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 8-10 min per mile
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Hoping for front, will prob end up somewhere in the middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Eh lol
Expected Race Pace - 9-10 min per mile

RACE - Half
NAME - Kevin
DIS'er name - fatmanatee
Costume/Clothing - Likely a blue shirt which is my go-to for longer races
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - POT between two hours and 2:15
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Hoping for front, will prob end up somewhere in the middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Another eh lol
Expected Race Pace - 10-11 min per mile

RACE - 5K
NAME - Maureen
DIS'er name - Naomeri
Costume/Clothing - Daisy Duck
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration -10-12 min/mile
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group -front
Expected Race Pace - 12-13 min/mile

RACE - 10K
NAME - Maureen
DIS'er name - Naomeri
Costume/Clothing - 50ā€™s outfit with Pluto skirt
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 12-14 min/mile
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group -front
Expected Race Pace - 12-14min/mile

RACE - Half
NAME - Maureen
DIS'er name - Naomeri
Costume/Clothing - Minnie Mouse
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 12-14 min/mile
Expected Race Pace - 12-14 min/mile

I also plan to be at the Friday afternoon meet-up, hopefully with my grandma in tow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter