Disney World Hot Takes

Most of the food at DLP is pretty meh, which is ridiculous with it being in France with so much great food in the area.

That's disappointing. I have wanted to go, and yeah, considering it's France, you'd think the food would be above board! Are there at least some good pastries/desserts?

Epcot is probably my least favorite park. Not because I hate it because I don’t. It’s just lower than the other 3 for me.

ROtR is overrated to me. The hype online was nuts but when I rode it I was like ummm ok? But I’ve also never watched a Star Wars movie. My kids thought it was amazing. This is why I stay away from reviews and I don’t watch YouTube videos of rides. I don’t read any spoiler threads or read any blogs about rides.

I like G+ and got so much out of it. It’s better than FP+.

I miss the citizens of Hollywood so much!!!

Homecoming is overrated. I think a lot of people come from places with bland food or not much diversity in foods so when they try something they think it’s amazing. I’ve had amazing fried chicken and HCs was just ok.

I used to dislike AK but some days it’s my favorite park. I just love it especially at night. MK will probably always be my favorite by default but AK and DHS flip for #2 depending on my mood lol.

I think people need to set realistic expectations when it comes to theme park food. They are making millions of meals a day and trying to please everyone at the same time. It’s not going to be gourmet. We’ve honestly never had an awful meal. The only meal I can say I didn’t like was San Angel Inn but that was my liking. I just didn’t care for their food but it wasn’t inedible.

We *like* Tony's Town Square.

I’m in NJ and about 10-15 minutes from South Philly and actually just ate Italian there a few weeks ago so I know good Italian. But the more better reviews I’ve been seeing about Tony’s is making me want to try it especially during parade time and hoping for an outdoor seat.

I think we would enjoy it since can still enjoy a dish Carrabbas or Olive Garden if needed. I know what I’m getting into and set my expectations realistically.

The quick service at Disneyland has always been bettet - lots of really good choices. I will say, some WDW places have elevated it a bit, like Satu'li is a pretty above-average quick service place. Mostly though, it's not great, but also not "bad" - unless you count the littel round pizzas - those are in fact bad.
I've always heard Disneyland's quick service is better, but IMO they're pretty comparable. WDW has some gems, like Satuli or Katsura Grill. And those little round pizzas are rightfully hated.

Maybe add to my list that the Jolly Holiday grilled cheese and soup combo is overrated.

That's disappointing. I have wanted to go, and yeah, considering it's France, you'd think the food would be above board! Are there at least some good pastries/desserts?
Even the snacks weren't great. I haven't been since 2017, so maybe they've improved some of it since then.
The restaurant hours were really weird, too. Most of the park table service restaurants closed at like 4pm even when the parks were open pretty late.

Most of the food at DLP is pretty meh, which is ridiculous with it being in France with so much great food in the area.

That is exactly why it is just fine. Because in Paris there are tons of great options. They didn't try to compete.

In my opinion the food in DLP is on par with other themeparks in Europe. It is that the quality in WDW is much higher. But in themepark land, that quality is not really the norm.

What probably also doesn't help is that dining out in Paris/France is an experience that can last a few hours. That is not the thing in themeparks. Even when in DLP in the parks table service takes longer than in the US parks, it is not like dining in Paris.

Table service in the DLP parks is overpriced. Table service in the village is much better price/quality.

We were surprised during our recent visit that the fast food places such as the Commisary were heavily slanted to people ordering by app. Turning up in person to peruse the menu was definitely deemed old fashioned!

ford family

I didn't like Spectromagic. I thought the floats were weird and didn't understand what most of them had to do with Disney.

I have never forgiven WDW for ditching Off-Kilter at Epcot, and never will. They were so fun and gave me a reason to want to go to Epcot, and stay longer so I could catch several shows. Since then I've walked past the Canadian Pavilion with some contempt for Disney in my heart, and loved the lumberjack show barely made it a year.

We were surprised during our recent visit that the fast food places such as the Commisary were heavily slanted to people ordering by app. Turning up in person to peruse the menu was definitely deemed old fashioned!

ford family
The food-order system is pretty much the only pandemic-era change that I think was a success. It's nice to be able to order food while in a ride-line and then go pick it up without wasting any time standing in a food line, too.

-I think all of the food at Disney is meh. We’ve dined pretty extensively in lots of different caliber restaurants and I have yet to rave about anything. I do believe that Victoria and Albert’s would be amazing but other than that, I always have the mindset that a restaurant’s theming and vibe are going to be more rewarding than the actual food.

-I really miss the Electric Umbrella. In line with what I said above, the food was not good but we loved the nostalgia and location. My family ate there a lot in the 90s and in 2018 I got really into eating outside and watching the fountains, especially while listening to the instrumental Christmas music they play in December.

-My “hottest” take is that I wished it was hotter in August lol. Only at night!!! In the late evenings it would get into the 70s and it felt cool enough outside that I would get very chilly walking indoors into an AC blast. My kids wanted to go night swimming and I made DH take them because it was “too cold outside” for me haha.

I don’t get the hype over Grand Floridian. We stayed there once, it was on my Disney bucket list. The resort was frantic, rooms were tiny, dark, and dated (pre renovations), people came out to watch resort guests swim in the pool, the hotel is a tourist attraction, and I didn’t enjoy the monorail. I found it stinky, water was dripping in and we were the last stop and it was packed. I also thought it took forever to get to Epcot.

It actually started before the pandemic. I remember mobile ordering food on a family trip in 2019.
The food-order system is pretty much the only pandemic-era change that I think was a success. It's nice to be able to order food while in a ride-line and then go pick it up without wasting any time standing in a food line, too.
It was there in 2017. They released it to only a few places at first and then shortly thereafter it exploded. The below link is more towards NotUrsula but you can see in August 2017 they expanded to 15 locations. We went to WDW in September 2017 and used it multiple times.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-to-15-locations-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

It def. isn't a pandemic change but certainly during the pandemic they would say you needed mobile ordering to enter certain QS places. I think many people are just used to mobile ordering. It's been around for nearly 7 years now at WDW and it's just part of normal park experiences these days.

Here goes!!!

1. Staying at the Polynesian doesn't live up to the hype.

2. In that same vein, I LOVE THE CONTEMPORARY!

3. I hated the Great Movie Ride and celebrated its closure.

4. I didn't mind Stitch's Great Escape.

5. The macaroni and cheese at Homecomin' was a letdown.

6. Photopass Pictures are often (not always) a waste of time and money.

7. The much loved school bread in Norway is disappointing.

8. I prefer MSEP over Spectromagic.

9. Animal Kingdom is still a half day park.

10. While I get that it was the first park and it's the only one Walt touched, I'd feel a lot more magic at Disneyland if it had a more prominent castle like MK.

Star Tours is easily the second best Star Wars ride, and is closer to first than most people give it credit for. We can ride it at least 10 times during a weekly trip. I also keep track of what we see and if we get different versions of the scenes, or all of the characters in the middle of the ride. Smuggler's Run is boring.

I Love the Enchanted Tiki Room.
Same here! Sometimes if I want a bit of Disney I'll pull up youtube and watch it there. And I'll say the lines at random moments. "Because of their claws? No! Because they're macaws!" "All this celebrating has angered the gods!"

I think it's because when the kids were really little, one of them fell asleep in the stroller near there, and I took the older one into Tiki room about 3 times in a row so we could just kind of stay right there, and it was a fun memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter