Disney Wonder- Room for Family of 4?

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of taking a Disney Alaskan cruise next July. Which room would be best for a family of 4 (13 year old son and 8 year daughter)? We are hoping for the most room but not the largest price if that makes sense.

Do you mind an Inside cabin?
Is ocean view enough (you can always go up on deck)?
Do you need a balcony again, you can always go up on deck, or Deck 4.
Those are the main 3 choices you need to decide, to begin with. A cabin that sleeps four will have a double bed and then bunk beds.

Do you mind an Inside cabin?
Is ocean view enough (you can always go up on deck)?
Do you need a balcony again, you can always go up on deck, or Deck 4.
Those are the main 3 choices you need to decide, to begin with. A cabin that sleeps four will have a double bed and then bunk beds.
We would at least need two queen beds or one queen and at least two doubles. Is that possible?

We would at least need two queen beds or one queen and at least two doubles. Is that possible?

The staterooms on the Magic and Wish are some of the largest sea. Most have split bathrooms (toilet in one, shower in the other). They’re reasonably comfortable for a family of four. You won’t spend much time in your room anyways.

Standard staterooms on DCL have a queen bed. It cannot be separated. The third bed is the convertible sofa and the fourth bed pulls down from the ceiling above the sofa. No second queen bed.

Sadly, those hotel type bedding options are only found in Concierge level cabins - pretty much any cruise line.

So, no, you won’t be getting the bed options you’d like.

Disney has one very nice, but fixed configuration, queen in all cabins but a two-bedroom Concierge.

Most other cruise lines have the main bed that can be separated into singles.

Disney’s sofa bed in standard cabins (non-Concierge) has a real mattress in the back of the sofa. When you flip the back forward, it is revealed. It is a comfortable twin, without the annoying bar you feel on fold-out sleeper sofas.

The upper bunk (berth) is tucked in the ceiling during the day (the room steward takes care of both these supplemental beds). There is a ladder in the room to access this.

If you need a regular-height access to an extra bed, instead of the upper berth, you can book one of the family cabins that have a fold-down Murphy bed, which is out of the way, in the wall, during the day.

Here is a standard configuration on DCL

IMG_7648.jpeg

and a family cabin with the extra Murphy bed (ignore the red circle; this is from an article about the weight limit on the upper berth).

IMG_7647.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7647.jpeg
    IMG_7647.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
We have booked the cheapest cabin several times - besides the cost savings (which gets eaten by excursions), we find it feels roomier.

It’s a sideways layout, being wide left to right upon entering. The rest of regular cabins are deep as you enter and a little wider than the length of the bed (enough to pass, but no extra).

The (possible) drawbacks are it is an inside (but also means no 4:30 am sun coming through the crack in the curtains) and it has a single unit bathroom (toilet, sink, and shower tub in one room) versus the two unit, split bath in most cabins (toilet & sink in one, tub shower & sink in the other).

We like Deck 5, as it has easy access to elevators, stairs, kids club, movie theater. And the hallways are short and not heavily trafficked.

The cabins on the Wonder may be a little bigger than industry standard, but it will feel dinky compared to many modern hotel standard rooms.

Here are old photos found on Flicker. Decor and furnishings have been updated since this.

The cabin door would be on the left side of the photo. You walk right in (other cabins, you enter a narrow hall between closets and bathrooms.

The bathroom door is located across from the closet. This particular room looks like it only sleeps 3, as no upper berth looks to be above the sofa (when stored, it’s a box hanging down ~ 4-6 inches).

IMG_7650.jpeg

The head of the bed is the same wall as the sofa.

IMG_7651.jpeg

Does the above cabin sleep 4?

220# - I think that means I won't be inviting Goofy to 'sleep over' . . . .
I don’t think the one in the photo does, but I just checked next July’s 7-night sailing and the Cat 11c (sideways) do hold 4 - and there are 5 of those cabins available for the July 28, 2025 cruise.

But, yikes, the price in July.

For 4 people, you have several options:

Several cabin types have a bed that sleeps 2, a sofa that converts to a bed for 1, and a bunk bed for 1:
Inside "sideways" cabins as described above
Inside cabins
Oceanview cabins
Veranda cabins
The indoor size of the Oceanview and Veranda cabins is about the same. The price tends to increase from inside to oceanview to veranda, but not by much on some sailings.

There are also Family Veranda cabins that have an additional wall bed, as shown above, which are more expensive but have more storage space. When the bed is not set up, there's extra floor space by the veranda door. When the bed is set up, though, it is difficult to access the veranda. We stayed in Family Veranda cabins to separate my kids a bit -- my daughter slept in the bunk, my son slept in the wall bed, and we could use the sofa even when the bunk was down.

220 is much lower than I would have guessed they'd want to design it for, but it makes sense when you see the picture....

My dream is they would configure some cabins with two real beds - so singles traveling together could both get one. It’s not doable with the desk.

I was happy with the split bed concept, but the current fixed queen is a very nice sleep for the one who gets it. The sofa back is just too low for me. Great for short kids to get into.

The split beds were extremely close together. I share with a friend and she does fine on the flip over couch. The room divider curtain gives us each our own space - she gets the view in the morning and midnight deck access if she sleep walks . . .

The split beds were extremely close together. I share with a friend and she does fine on the flip over couch. The room divider curtain gives us each our own space - she gets the view in the morning and midnight deck access if she sleep walks . . .
Glad you are able to have a positive take in this. It hasn’t stopped us from cruising Disney. The twin set-up is not much different than being in the same bed, other than not fighting over covers. And the personal space with the curtain is nice. I just find an inequity in halving the cruise fare when one gets (what I consider) the better bed.

I know my dream cabin of two fixed beds just isn’t feasible. But I can send my psychic messages out, hoping it comes to fruition. 🤭

We are thinking of taking a Disney Alaskan cruise next July. Which room would be best for a family of 4 (13 year old son and 8 year daughter)? We are hoping for the most room but not the largest price if that makes sense.
Most DCL staterooms will sleep 4. There are a few that only sleep 3. Posts above have described the bed situation -- queen, pullman-style sofa bed, drop-down bunk. Cabin size increases slightly from interior to oceanview to verandah, though not considerably. For a slightly larger stateroom, the "deluxe family" (oceanview or verandah) rooms; many have the murphy bed for a 5th passenger but some have just a chair in that space -- so we're talking the stateroom is about the width of a twin bed longer. These can be booked by a party of 4, you'd have to do a little research to find which staterooms. Of course will usually be higher the larger the stateroom, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

How long is your cruise? You can even things out by switching beds halfway through so you each get a turn with the “better” bed.

The couch bed does get the view, sunlight, and with the curtain closed, a better view of the TV.

On a cruise, the bed type is such a small part of the whole experience. Some ships (not Disney) have tiny “solo” cabins where for the same price, you could each get your own cabin - maybe look into that?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter