Disney Springs discussion on today's Dis Unplugged

Disney springs is boring to me I don’t like shopping.
I definitely enjoy shopping a lot less as I've gotten older. I think that's natural because at this point in my life, I have everything I need. When we were younger, just starting out, furnishing our home, raising a kid, there were always things we needed or wanted. Now, other than occasionally having to replace something that wears out, I hardly ever have to buy anything. That's part of why I said we aren't the target demographic for DS.

After reading this thread I went and looked at the Stores at DS. Out of all the stores at DS we only have maybe 3 within an hour of my house. Our mall is so sad they have some stores that look like they have a yard sale in them. Our Disney Store left maybe early 2000s. Now there is no Disney Store in our state or in the state of Maine. We do have 2 Disney Outlets each about an hour away. The closest Disney Store in MA closed this summer too. I think the closest Disney Store is now 2 hours away. Our mall has no real good stores left. I hardly ever go to it anymore. Since this is the case for my area I probably would like walking around DS and looking at all the shops we don't have. Also don't people use DS as a place to get their keepsakes from their trip?

After reading this thread I went and looked at the Stores at DS. Out of all the stores at DS we only have maybe 3 within an hour of my house.
I can see where that might make a difference to someone. I see nearly 30 stores that I have within 30 minutes of my house (most within 15 minutes).

I don't shop much. I rarely if ever shop while on vacation other than the occasional souvenir. We're not going to buy regular clothing, shoes, housewares, etc. while traveling.

I actually do like strolling through Disney Springs just for the heck of it. I think parts of it are pretty. I like the live entertainment. I think when DW and I go there without DD, we would be more likely to try some of the dining options (I really want to check out Polite Pig but can't do that with DD) or maybe have a drink at one of the many bars. But strictly where shopping is concerned, other than World of Disney, I'm unlikely to ever buy anything there.

Totally agree @disneysteve - if these were stores I couldn’t otherwise access, I might be more excited, so mostly, I stay at the Disney stores. That said, most of the other places aren’t too far from where I live and I don’t shop there because they’re too pricey for me so... there’s that. However, I highly recommend boathouse! DH and I had a fantastic splurge meal there, though it is loud. And strolling the area is nice when it isn’t too hot.

I just listened to this discussion today.

Disney Springs is absolutely beautiful and it sounds like Disney is creating a really cool place to visit. However, if my mother didn't love it so much, I would skip it all together.

For those of us in the Philadelphia area, it reminds me %100 of the updates the King of Prussia Mall has gone through the past few years.

This would be fine, except I find the trend of everything in WDW being high end (i.e. increase in DVC resorts and villas and more restaraunts becoming two table service, ect.) quite troubling.

I get Disney needs to make money, but the Disney Village was BEAUTIFUL and really epitomized older Disney. I'm sure they made there fair share of money off it it.

I will be there to dine a couple of times next trip, and will enjoy it, but like the new resort refurbishments, the 'Disney' is being lost in favor of plainer, luxurious, money making machines (loaded opinion I know)!

I just listened to this discussion today.

Disney Springs is absolutely beautiful and it sounds like Disney is creating a really cool place to visit. However, if my mother didn't love it so much, I would skip it all together.

For those of us in the Philadelphia area, it reminds me %100 of the updates the King of Prussia Mall has gone through the past few years.

This would be fine, except I find the trend of everything in WDW being high end (i.e. increase in DVC resorts and villas and more restaraunts becoming two table service, ect.) quite troubling.

I get Disney needs to make money, but the Disney Village was BEAUTIFUL and really epitomized older Disney. I'm sure they made there fair share of money off it it.

I will be there to dine a couple of times next trip, and will enjoy it, but like the new resort refurbishments, the 'Disney' is being lost in favor of plainer, luxurious, money making machines (loaded opinion I know)!
Very eloquently stated, and I sadly agree, even if I haven't yet seen Disney Springs in person. Seen enough of it in vlogs/pics, and totally get (and feel) the underlying sentiment in your post, to all things Disney, in the last say 5 years or so, sadly. :(

Last edited:

As someone who grew up going to Orlando for a month, once a year, (we’re from upstate NY, my parents pulled me out of school every February) who LOVED Downtown Disney.... I was disappointed with Disney Springs.

I missed two years of going to Disney during the transformation of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs and came back going “where am I?”

Perhaps I am feeling, as pointed out in the podcast, nostalgic. However, I agree, it feels like a glorified shopping mall now. (To the member that said it was like King of Prussia mall, I agree 100%). My fiancé and I LOVE shopping malls but Disney Springs didn’t do it for us because that’s not what we wanted on our Disney vacation

This would be fine, except I find the trend of everything in WDW being high end
I totally agree. And I'm familiar with KoP mall. I used to go there all the time in the mid-80s when I lived on City Avenue. Now, we almost never go there because it's just one high end designer store after another. We don't need a $10,000 watch or $600 handbag or $200 shirt. I don't even enjoy window shopping there now.

My family and I enjoy all the disney shopping. Co-op , basin, world of disney Christmas store , disney legos etc. Also all the dinning options are fantastic. The entertainment on the stage by world of disney is also fantastic. .But the new part by uniqlo and under armour is just a greatly themed shopping mall with no interest to the typical disney shopping on vacation.

But the new part by uniqlo and under armour is just a greatly themed shopping mall with no interest to the typical disney shopping on vacation.
Except for Uniqlo. They actually have a great selection of Disney shirts that you can't find anywhere else. My wife bought a tshirt and sweatshirt last time we were there. And their prices are way lower than Disney's.

Except for Uniqlo. They actually have a great selection of Disney shirts that you can't find anywhere else. My wife bought a tshirt and sweatshirt last time we were there. And their prices are way lower than Disney's.
I think they have a decent size selection at least they did in September but I didn't like the majority of their style--perhaps they update that every now and then though. However, I found a cute Maleficent shirt for under $5 so I was happy about that :)

I'm hoping they have that partnership still going when I go back to WDW years down the road.

Good point @mcd2745 - Never thought about that. And with mobility issues, I would have to consider that too! I even have to keep that in mind around me, as some of the malls are much more "mobility friendly" than others!

Can anybody tell me - are there lots of places (benches, planters, etc.) to sit if you're at one end of Springs, but have to rest making it all the way back to the other end to catch a bus? And if weather was not conducive, this could present a real issue for me!

I have a question re: mobility issues, actually. The one thing about Disney Springs that I don't like is that for a family member that has trouble walking, but who is not necessarily in a wheelchair, navigating can be hard. Does anyone have any advice on that? Generally, my thought process is to park on whichever side we want to spend the most time. Are there other handicap parking options besides the two giant garages? (Wish there was something in the middle - you kind of have to pick which side you want to explore when you're with someone who can't comfortably walk the entire thing.)

I have a question re: mobility issues, actually. The one thing about Disney Springs that I don't like is that for a family member that has trouble walking, but who is not necessarily in a wheelchair, navigating can be hard. Does anyone have any advice on that? Generally, my thought process is to park on whichever side we want to spend the most time. Are there other handicap parking options besides the two giant garages? (Wish there was something in the middle - you kind of have to pick which side you want to explore when you're with someone who can't comfortably walk the entire thing.)
Great question, very interested to see answer(s). I also usually use an ECV in the parks, but walk (with cane, and slow!) at Springs when there in past. You're right - stinks if nothing "central". I would most probably be taking a bus there anyway, since I don't drive, and if I don't travel alone, my usual "travel buddy" does not drive at WDW.

I think it's great but I'm from U.K and the majority of the stores in Disney Springs we don't have in my city. It's kind of good because international guests can get a taste of a typical mall without venturing too far. Also the view from Boathouse is great.

They need a few more shops but it's got enough to build on. A couple of late night bars wouldn't go a miss either.

Okay, I just checked out the DS website(I've never been), and I have a couple of questions....

1. What is Uniqlo? I looked at their description and I still don't have a clear understanding of what the place is. Something about Japanese clothes?
2. Is everything that's offered in the Christmas store also offered in the Christmas section at World of Disney, or does it have unique stuff?

I have a limited window of time for shopping there next month, and I don't want to waste time checking out stores that either aren't up my alley, or have the same stuff as WoD(which I know I'll be stopping in).

1. What is Uniqlo? I looked at their description and I still don't have a clear understanding of what the place is. Something about Japanese clothes?

It is a clothing store. It is best known as a "fast-fashion" store, where they have the "latest trends" before other, larger mass-market shops do.

But really, it isn't that different from The Gap or whatever. It is just clothes, marketed mostly toward teenagers and college aged people.

They do have a neat selection of Disney tee shirts that you can't get other places. And they price them very reasonably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!