Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I always loved the monorails and hope they don't go away.

That said, I am looking forward to the gondolas. I hope Disney is planning on extensions to other parks and resorts. Appears they will be very efficient. Do have a concern about if they will have AC or not. I understand that one would be on-board for a relatively short time and the ventilation should be fine, however as someone mentioned, if there is a problem and you are stuck on-board for a significant length of time due to a breakdown/incident and you're without AC, it could become an issue.

I also think Disney should partner with Waymo or other company and bring in autonomous vehicles. Should be less difficult than what they are doing out here (AZ) as would be a smaller geofenced area when confined to on-property. If could go all electric, even better.

Yes, costs would be high, but if a true partnership, and along with the publicity, it could work out.

I always loved the monorails and hope they don't go away.

That said, I am looking forward to the gondolas.

Yea I can't wait to try them, sounds peaceful/relaxing and likely more private than a monorail-depending on party size of course, but mostly I am hoping the visuals are better than a monorail, buses are even worse. I am the one standing looking out of the monorail windows (forced to choose a side), a monorail looses 1/2 of it's potential view being connected one car after another, or I enjoy the back/front of boats to see whats up. The Skyliners appear to be 360 for all on board.

Last edited:
Again it’s a similar principle to the monorail whizzing by your room. Maybe it’s just me, but it wouldn’t bother me that much

Where does a monorail whiz by a room? At the Contemporary it goes inside,where the interior hallways are. At the Poly, there are two longhouses, but there's plenty of vegetation between the monorail and the balconies, and one is set back pretty far. At the Grand Floridian, the section that gets really close to one of the buildings comes up to a wall with no windows (?). So I don't see where monorail cars are whizzing by windows? Is there a section at GF where this happens? It's the only area I couldn't get close in on google maps. And at least the monorail is fast, and not unending. But to constantly have people overhead just seems tacky to me, and not something I'd expect at a costly resort.

Not only would it not bother me, I would be the Silly Lady on the ground waving at the people in the gondolas as they go by. :wave2:

You're going to be standing there forever then, as they are going to run for hours and hours, in a continuous loop. Hopefully the gondolas are closed, so no one can throw stuff out of them.

That would be a huge mistake. Riding in 100+ degree weather high in the sky with no way to get out if you overheat. Yeah it would be a incredibly dumb decision not to have A/C

I agree - only so that they have to be enclosed - otherwise some less classy guests will throw stuff out the windows.

Where does a monorail whiz by a room? At the Contemporary it goes inside,where the interior hallways are. At the Poly, there are two longhouses, but there's plenty of vegetation between the monorail and the balconies, and one is set back pretty far. At the Grand Floridian, the section that gets really close to one of the buildings comes up to a wall with no windows (?). So I don't see where monorail cars are whizzing by windows? Is there a section at GF where this happens? It's the only area I couldn't get close in on google maps. And at least the monorail is fast, and not unending. But to constantly have people overhead just seems tacky to me, and not something I'd expect at a costly resort.

You're going to be standing there forever then, as they are going to run for hours and hours, in a continuous loop. Hopefully the gondolas are closed, so no one can throw stuff out of them.

I agree - only so that they have to be enclosed - otherwise some less classy guests will throw stuff out the windows.
The MK view rooms at bay lake tower are right up against the track

He'll have to put "facts" in quotes because most of what we "know" has been assumed - in lieu of Disney releasing actual hard info on a lot of the details.

Well, I know that one hard fact not being revealed is the opening date for what should be an easy system to construct. (compared to similar lines around the world). We just received an e-mail concerning our arriving June 16th at Pop Century:

"We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's Pop Century Resort!

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on creating a new transportation system, Disney Skyliner, which will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World® Resort while traveling via gondolas. This transportation system will connect future Guests of Disney's Pop Century Resort with Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, the International Gateway at Epcot® and other Resorts.

While we work our magic, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available to you, including our dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that you may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am. We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-939-7805 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).

General Manager Jeff Korte and the team at Disney's Pop Century Resort look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC "

Them decreasing or cutting out buses would be bad for me. My wife is afraid of heights and would not get on a Gondola! She can't be the only one. I would think a good bit of people would still rather take a bus. But hey, that might be more money for Disney with their Minnie Vans, very sneaky Disney!!!

Them decreasing or cutting out buses would be bad for me. My wife is afraid of heights and would not get on a Gondola! She can't be the only one. I would think a good bit of people would still rather take a bus. But hey, that might be more money for Disney with their Minnie Vans, very sneaky Disney!!!

This has been mentioned multiple times. If someone is that afraid, I suspect renting a car would be the best option, or just give it a shot to see before judging!

I just came back from a stay at POP and I was surprised to see how many poles are actually up between there and CBR. It looks like there should also be at least 3 poles in the lake before reaching the station at the bridge. The 5k and 10k this past weekend also went through the IG station construction site, but there really was not much to see there yet.

I just came back from a stay at POP and I was surprised to see how many poles are actually up between there and CBR. It looks like there should also be at least 3 poles in the lake before reaching the station at the bridge. The 5k and 10k this past weekend also went through the IG station construction site, but there really was not much to see there yet.

This spur looks like it'll definitely be the first one completed. The question is, would they operate it if the other two spurs aren't finished? I still can't figure out how the CBR station will function as the hub for 3 lines, it only appears to orient in two directions.

This spur looks like it'll definitely be the first one completed. The question is, would they operate it if the other two spurs aren't finished? I still can't figure out how the CBR station will function as the hub for 3 lines, it only appears to orient in two directions.

I doubt they will be able to open the lines separately. The last step in building a line is to pull the cables and since all three lines go through the hub I don't see how they could be pulling cables from one line while another is running. As for the hub, it is basically T-Shaped so it look like this:

upload_2018-2-28_12-24-27.png

Here is a piece of art showing the who buildings. Line at the top goes to Riviera, bottom to AOA/Pop, left to DHS.

upload_2018-3-3_6-48-3.png

This has been mentioned multiple times. If someone is that afraid, I suspect renting a car would be the best option, or just give it a shot to see before judging!
I totally get what you are saying but if someone is afraid of heights they aren't going to try it. I could understand decreasing the buses but totally cutting them out wouldn't be good I don't think. And renting a car may not be their best option with the parking fees at the parks, their best option would be to stay somewhere else I guess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter