Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I am just saying based on most other Gondola systems and rumors I have read/heard it's shaping up as if these won't have AC.

Kind of just like backlot tour, K safaris, people mover, jungle cruise, and every other ride that is outside? Some of them don't even have roof coverings....

How long can people walk around the parks in the sun with out AC-- certainly as long as a gondola ride.....

Kind of just like backlot tour, K safaris, people mover, jungle cruise, and every other ride that is outside? Some of them don't even have roof coverings....

How long can people walk around the parks in the sun with out AC-- certainly as long as a gondola ride.....

I get that. But I tend not to do those things in the afternoon Florida heat if I can help it. Sometimes I need to travel from my resort to a park in the afternoon and the air conditioned bus was fine. If the gondolas have no A/C, it's going to be interesting to see how it affects bus service.

I get that. But I tend not to do those things in the afternoon Florida heat if I can help it. Sometimes I need to travel from my resort to a park in the afternoon and the air conditioned bus was fine. If the gondolas have no A/C, it's going to be interesting to see how it affects bus service.

Well I guess that's why there are other options of getting around that DO have AC people can choose from.

I for one would NEVER get in that gondola in the middle of August crammed with 30 people with no ac. I would pass.

As was mentioned several dozen pages back, the water launches don't have A/C and run in the heat, cold and rain. Here's Disney's own spin on the "open air" boats.

"Take in the scenery and relax with welcome breezes as you sail around"

Kind of applies to a gondola too.

j

The Friendship Boats have AC. However, the MK resort launches do not. Neither does the Ferry. I'm not saying these need AC unless they're enclosed which leads me to believe they will somehow be open air.

If I remember correctly, 1 of the reasons the old skyway system was removed from Magic Kingdom was for the safety of the people below it. People would throw various items, cups and other assorted trash etc. down onto the people below. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes just to get rid of it but sometimes it was a major safety issue. That would be the same problem with any new system if the cabins were not completely enclosed. Especially going over highways etc. I could imagine people trying to see how well they could hit a vehicle below.

If for no other reason, that's why I think the new campus will be completely enclosed with AC.

You can vents with some sort of screening that would prevent people from throwing things out but also let the air in. They could also use a fan to circulate air.

You can vents with some sort of screening that would prevent people from throwing things out but also let the air in. They could also use a fan to circulate air.

99 degrees and 90% humidity, that fan circulating will do nothing at all.

Let's see what they will do. It should come out very soon what type it will be

Which part were you confused about?
Besides the fact that "source with knowledge of the situation" have reported that it will be a gondola, the turn at boardwalk is to sharp for that, only a gondola makes sense with that small a turning radius.

You confused me because you said a source said "it will be a gondola" then said the boardwalk is too sharp for that (I'm not sure what you mean here) and then said only a "gondola makes sense"

Can you help me understand what you meant?

Besides the fact that "source with knowledge of the situation" have reported that it will be a gondola, the turn at boardwalk is to sharp for that, only a gondola makes sense with that small a turning radius.

You confused me because you said a source said "it will be a gondola" then said the boardwalk is too sharp for that (I'm not sure what you mean here) and then said only a "gondola makes sense"

We have a set of permits and notices of commencement (which means construction begins soon). They show structures in various areas throughout the DHS/Epcot area. Between sources and people familiar with transportation system it was narrowed down that the most likely option for this is a gondola system. This can be backed up by the shape of the turn buildings near the Boardwalk and at CBR.

We have a set of permits and notices of commencement (which means construction begins soon). They show structures in various areas throughout the DHS/Epcot area. Between sources and people familiar with transportation system it was narrowed down that the most likely option for this is a gondola system. This can be backed up by the shape of the turn buildings near the Boardwalk and at CBR.
Right, I get that. I guess what's missing here is the "that" in "too sharp for that" So Im guessing someone else suggested something else and Dan is indicating why it can't be "that"?

Right, I get that. I guess what's missing here is the "that" in "too sharp for that" So Im guessing someone else suggested something else and Dan is indicating why it can't be "that"?
Based on Dan and others who have discovered these permits and such a building like that is really only meant for a gondola type system. It is too sharp of a turn for something like a monorail or other tram types.

Well I guess that's why there are other options of getting around that DO have AC people can choose from.

I for one would NEVER get in that gondola in the middle of August crammed with 30 people with no ac. I would pass.

Others have claimed that bus service between gondola based resorts and parks will be discontinued once this system is up and running. I'm not buying that.

And no, I'm not getting in a gondola crammed full of people in the middle of the day in August either. No chance at all, no matter how excited the Disney fanboy community is.

Others have claimed that bus service between gondola based resorts and parks will be discontinued once this system is up and running. I'm not buying that.

And no, I'm not getting in a gondola crammed full of people in the middle of the day in August either. No chance at all, no matter how excited the Disney fanboy community is.
I've seen that mentioned a few times as well regarding removal of the buses at those resorts. Sure they have the opportunity to get rid of the buses but something just tells me they wouldn't do this. Maybe they would limit the number of buses going so you could have to wait longer for one if that was the mode of transportation you wanted to use. Buses are a well-known fairly tame (compared to those with fears of boats/monorails/gondolas) mode of transportation.

You can only walk from bay lake and the comtempory not from poly or grand

Those are all open air, not acrylic solar boxes with little airflow. No matter how good ventilation is, if it is 95 outside, it will be over 95 in the gondola without AC. The ventilation will almost definitely not be good enough to provide a windchill effect, especially in the FL humidity. I just don't see how they could make this system successful without AC or operational windows.

I have ridden in plenty of gondolas without AC, but they were either at high altitude or partially open air.

Those are all open air, not acrylic solar boxes with little airflow. No matter how good ventilation is, if it is 95 outside, it will be over 95 in the gondola without AC. The ventilation will almost definitely not be good enough to provide a windchill effect, especially in the FL humidity. I just don't see how they could make this system successful without AC or operational windows.

I have ridden in plenty of gondolas without AC, but they were either at high altitude or partially open air.

No kidding. That's why I referenced the open air rides which would directly compare to open air gondolas. If they enclosed them people would bake.

No kidding. That's why I referenced the open air rides which would directly compare to open air gondolas. If they enclosed them people would bake.

Not sure if this is helpful, but below are some pictures I took from a gondola I was in when I went to Hong Kong -figure it can give an idea of the loading area (which was very slow moving, so plenty of time for loading and taking pictures and stuff), how many cars were being run at once, the size of the cars, etc.

Also, they had no AC but did have vents at the top that could be opened or closed - Hong Kong isn't the same as Florida but it can get pretty hot and humid there as well

Oh, and these had a glass floor - not sure if Disney would go that route

Hong Kong gondola.jpg

Not sure if this is helpful, but below are some pictures I took from a gondola I was in when I went to Hong Kong -figure it can give an idea of the loading area (which was very slow moving, so plenty of time for loading and taking pictures and stuff), how many cars were being run at once, the size of the cars, etc.

Also, they had no AC but did have vents at the top that could be opened or closed - Hong Kong isn't the same as Florida but it can get pretty hot and humid there as well

Oh, and these had a glass floor - not sure if Disney would go that route

View attachment 231239

That style with the vents at the top is what I'm afraid they're talking about when they say it will have ventilation. I just don't see that being adequate in Florida most of the year.

Sorry, I may not have worded it correctly. I was responding to your question asking if there is any reason to believe that it would not be a the suspended monorail as described in the podcast. One of the reasons I don't believe it will be a suspended monorail is that the turn at Boardwalk is to sharp for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter