Disney School Trip-Sick Child-School Policies ??

sunb75

Mouseketeer
So, my daughter's dance team is at DW as they competed in Nationals this past weekend. Yesterday, my daughter woke up sick, throwing up. I am also on property, but staying in a different resort. Kids were allowed a park day and dd said she felt better and wanted to go to Magic Kingdom with me. We went and stayed a couple of hours until she started feeling bad again. We left the park and went to my room at another resort on the property. She took a nap and said she wanted to try the park again. We did and the same thing happened (sick). Around 7:00 pm, DD sent a text to her coaches and asked if she could leave with me, her mother, and I sign her out from the trip. She was told no. I then texted coach. I was told no, that is was school policy she stay with the team, but she could stay with me or I was welcome to stay with her until 10:00pm. Unfortunately, I returned the rental car and staying in a room together was not an option. Our only option was to stay in the park and wait until a group the proper size (4) or an adult was going back to DD's resort. Finally, a couple of hours later, a dance mom was able to take DD back to her resort. I find it unacceptable that my daughter was made to sit, feeling extremely bad, and wait at a crowded theme park instead of being able to be in the care of her mother in a quiet hotel room. This meant she went back to a tiny room with four girls, slept in a small bed with someone, and risked getting them all sick. Not only that, but when someone is sick, laying in bed with someone they are not totally comfortable with is not something they'd like to do, especially when there is the option of being with their parent and sleeping in a bed of their own.

I have requested the school policy on this and will not allow my child to travel with the school in the future if I find the policy unacceptable.

Disclaimer: I'm a teacher, different district and this is my third child so I'm not new to all the politics surrounding this kind of mess.

That’s unacceptable to me. What would have been the consequences of breaking “school policy”. She’s your child. You should have the right to do what is best for her! And I agree she exposed all those ppl in the park & the kids she was traveling with!

So, my daughter's dance team is at DW as they competed in Nationals this past weekend. Yesterday, my daughter woke up sick, throwing up. I am also on property, but staying in a different resort. Kids were allowed a park day and dd said she felt better and wanted to go to Magic Kingdom with me. We went and stayed a couple of hours until she started feeling bad again. We left the park and went to my room at another resort on the property. She took a nap and said she wanted to try the park again. We did and the same thing happened (sick). Around 7:00 pm, DD sent a text to her coaches and asked if she could leave with me, her mother, and I sign her out from the trip. She was told no. I then texted coach. I was told no, that is was school policy she stay with the team, but she could stay with me or I was welcome to stay with her until 10:00pm. Unfortunately, I returned the rental car and staying in a room together was not an option. Our only option was to stay in the park and wait until a group the proper size (4) or an adult was going back to DD's resort. Finally, a couple of hours later, a dance mom was able to take DD back to her resort. I find it unacceptable that my daughter was made to sit, feeling extremely bad, and wait at a crowded theme park instead of being able to be in the care of her mother in a quiet hotel room. This meant she went back to a tiny room with four girls, slept in a small bed with someone, and risked getting them all sick. Not only that, but when someone is sick, laying in bed with someone they are not totally comfortable with is not something they'd like to do, especially when there is the option of being with their parent and sleeping in a bed of their own.

I have requested the school policy on this and will not allow my child to travel with the school in the future if I find the policy unacceptable.

Disclaimer: I'm a teacher, different district and this is my third child so I'm not new to all the politics surrounding this kind of mess.

I am kind of baffled that you , her parent, just went along with it. I 'm sure it was a stressful, shocking situation, so that probably played into it. But it is ok to defy their "authority" and keep your child with you. What on earth could they possibly have done if you refused to send her back? They had no ground to stand on.

(to the bolded) No, that was not your only option. I wouldn't care what the school policy was, the only option for me would have been to take my daughter, sign or not sign what I had too, and leave.

That is crazy that they wouldn't let you. I am a teacher and parents are always welcome to sign their child out from a field trip. We don't do overnight trips, but if the class goes to the zoo and at the end of the day wants to take their child home with them straight from the zoo instead of having the child ride the bus back to school, they are welcome to. They have have to sign a "check out" form that the teacher has.

Once you are back home from your trip, I would call the principal of the school, explain what happened and double check on this "policy."

I guess I am confused. Your daughter was sick and she was with you, her mother. What could the coach have done? I mean I guess he could have somehow not allowed your daughter to compete (or some other punishment) for breaking rules, but I think I would have tested that. I mean as a parent you are the ultimate guardian? It isn't like they were letting the daughter leave with a stranger? What if she kept getting sicker. I would think they would have called you anyway. I would have thought the coach and other chaperones would have been relieved. Who really wants to deal with chaperoning a sick kid while travelling staying in tight quarters with classmates.

Who was the coach going to report you to exactly? My comeback would have been that the coach was doing nothing the care for the sick kid anyway. I can hardly see school administration following that logic.

My sister went to Disney with her high school band. My dad "followed" the bus there and got his own room at the hotel. He was not part of the trip but because my sister has severe allergies, he wanted to be close. He did sign her out of the trip towards the end as she was not feeling well and she rode back with him and not on the charter bus. I guess every school is different. Personally, if a child is sick and their parent is there to take the child, I am all for that. That relieves the Chaperones and as you stated, lowers the risk of the other kids getting ill.

parents are always welcome to sign their child out from a field trip. We don't do overnight trips
So this isn't the same situation.

OP, what would your daughter have done if you hadn't been around? How old is she? Is there a reason you didn't go to First Aid while you waited?

m was able to take DD back to her resort. I find it unacceptable that my daughter was made to sit, feeling extremely bad, and wait at a crowded theme park instead of being able to be in the care of her mother in a quiet hotel room. This meant she went back to a tiny room with four girls, slept in a small bed with someone, and risked getting them all sick. Not only that, but when someone is sick, laying in bed with someone they are not totally comfortable with is not something the

Were you there as a chaperone?

If so, then the coach's decision makes sense. Parents would come, chaperone during the event or until the parents were ready to go, then take their kids and leave; leaving the event short handed.

For example, my DD#2's band trips required one parent for every 10 students. Students couldn't leave with parents after the trip, they had to ride the bus with the other students. It helped the band teacher keep track of who was where. The only times he made an exception were when one of the students parent (who was not chaperoning, just attending) received a call at the game that the other parent was in a car accident, and it was looking bad, so the teacher allowed the student to leave with the parent and once when DD#2 was injured while performing and we needed to go to the ER. In our case, I was chaperoning (in fact, I was in charge of the volunteers), but I had another parent who was just attending step into my spot and take over while we left.

The coach is in charge of the kids on these trips, and is responsible for what happens to them, even if the parent is there. That being said, he could have talked to you and made an exception with her being ill, but only to return to the hotel and not to go anywhere else. As far as having to stay in the room with the others, that is the coach trying to maintain control over the entire situation, not just the ill child.

You did 2 things wrong. First, you took her to the parks in between vomiting episodes. That wasn't fair to any of the other guests. Second, you should have gone with your motherly instinct and told the coach you were taking her to stay with you.

I think they do it for safety if not any wanna could say they were a parent trying to run off with a child. I'd image it's break a rule for one break a rule for all type of thing

She was sick to the point where she was vomiting. No matter what the situation (OP was a chaperone, school policy, who is responsible for who) an exception in this case should have been made. That would be the reasonable thing to do.

I’m reminded of our school’s policy regarding leaving with your child from a field trip. We aren’t allowed to do that if the child traveled with the school. If they traveled together then they have to return together. If we transported the child ourselves(which some parents choose to do) then they can leave with the parent.

I don’t know how that would work in this situation though.

I think they do it for safety if not any wanna could say they were a parent trying to run off with a child. I'd image it's break a rule for one break a rule for all type of thing
Sure. But I think they should draw the line at vomiting. Plus it would have been nice to get the other girls away from it.

Sure. But I think they should draw the line at vomiting. Plus it would have been nice to get the other girls away from it.

Exactly, and it wouldn't be breaking a rule. The school should have some provision for when this happens on trips where parents are there.
If the girl was at school they would call the parent to come and get her for her health and the health of the rest of the students. Same should apply here then (since mom was already there).

She was told no. I then texted coach. I was told no, that is was school policy she stay with the team, but she could stay with me or I was welcome to stay with her until 10:00pm. Unfortunately, I returned the rental car and staying in a room together was not an option.

I find it unacceptable that my daughter was made to sit, feeling extremely bad, and wait at a crowded theme park instead of being able to be in the care of her mother in a quiet hotel room.

Why couldn't you take a bus to your resort then take her with an Uber to hers?

Or take her to your resort and text the coach that your daughter was sleeping and ill and that you'd meet them somewhere in the morning if she was feeling better.

I would have taken her to a Disney on site medical care station and then on to an urgent care site nearby; too much vomiting for me but of course I've no idea if this is a regular problem for your DD or if she was just eating too much junk food.

Why didn't you take her back to her resort and remain with her there? You were not forced to stay at the theme park, it was a choice that you made.

Many groups/schools have requirements that students cannot leave to stay with relatives. Imagine someone goes with the relatives and then misses transportation back home. Too many risks for school districts to control.

Hope your daughter is feeling better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter