Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Alien Swirling Saucers is playing holiday music. Does this happen during regular park hours too? Or is this a new addition for the party?
Alien Swirling Saucers has had a holiday overlay since it's first Christmas season in 2018. It is NOT a Jollywood Night exclusive. Every third song will be Christmas music. If you want a dedicated Christmas song just tell a CM and you can wait a few rides.

Snow White and Dopey near Muppet Vision, Jiminy and Stitch look to be around Echo Lake, Duffy was at the Shorts Theater area just going off the photos and what’s been reported.
Mary Poppins is also in grand Ave/muppets area per X
Alien Swirling Saucers is playing holiday music. Does this happen during regular park hours too? Or is this a new addition for the party?
They had a holiday layout for Alien and Slinky in the past weather it’s JUST under the jollywood paywall this season is uncertain

Reed as a sociopath is 'The Maker' ... I think we'll see a classic Reed, but also a recent take on Richards as The Maker.

There are a TON of rumors floating around the future of the MCU dropping Jonathan Majors and Kang as the next big bad. After watching Loki S2, I do think they pivoted and will be dropping Kang. We'll know for sure when there's no longer a Kang Dynasty film. The recent MCU work has been based on Jonathan Hickman's multi-year comic runs ... multiverse / incursions / Illuminati / Secret Wars ... all Hickman's stuff. Comic fans tend to either love or hate Hickman (I love his stuff), but he primarily focuses on 'world building'.

My wild swing is that they'll use the F4 and the 'Council of Reeds' in place of the Kang Dynasty. The new big bad in place of Kang will be The Maker, evil Reed Richards from the same universe as Miles Morales (earth 1610)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_(Reed_Richards)

Personally I'd love to see Disney to keep Krasinski in the Reed role since it's a multiverse, But Mr Pascal is a great choice as well.

The MCU is a pretty big mess right now, but if Secret Wars does end up being a reboot ... and Hickman is currently rebooting the 'Ultimate' universe in the comics ... I'm leaning towards Evil Reed being swapped out for Kang meaning Disney will need big name in the Reed role.
The less Hickman influence the better. Count me amongst the hate crowd.

Blog post with a listing of where the added characters are:

Disney Scrambles to Add Characters for Second Disney Jollywood Nights Event

Here’s a list of new characters that were at Disney Jollywood Nights tonight:

• Santa Duffy Bear (Mickey Short Film Theater)
  • Snow White & Dopey OR Mary Poppins & Penguin Waiter (Grand Avenue)
  • Jiminy Cricket OR Pinocchio (Center Stage near Chinese Theater)
  • Santa Stitch (Center Stage near Chinese Theater)

The less Hickman influence the better. Count me amongst the hate crowd.

I totally get it ... While I love his stuff, I don't think it translates very well to the MCU. In my opinion it's a darker and possibly 'more cynical' take and could lead the MCU down the same path as the DC Snyderverse. There are so many more 'classic' Marvel stories to mine before relying on what Hickman has done. He's usually brought in to resuscitate titles, and in the MCU there are still decades of stories to adapt.

I think Disney is counting on Hickman's stuff to reboot the same way they designed the MCU on the 'Ultimate' universe ... which is not the same thing.

But for a F4 MCU run, I've had many a debate at my comic shop that Mark Waid's 2002-2005 run would be the best modern/classic mix of inspiration.

I totally get it ... While I love his stuff, I don't think it translates very well to the MCU. In my opinion it's a darker and possibly 'more cynical' take and could lead the MCU down the same path as the DC Snyderverse. There are so many more 'classic' Marvel stories to mine before relying on what Hickman has done. He's usually brought in to resuscitate titles, and in the MCU there are still decades of stories to adapt.

I think Disney is counting on Hickman's stuff to reboot the same way they designed the MCU on the 'Ultimate' universe ... which is not the same thing.

But for a F4 MCU run, I've had many a debate at my comic shop that Mark Waid's 2002-2005 run would be the best modern/classic mix of inspiration.
Cynical describes Hickman exactly, and I hate cynicism. To be fair, I didn't hate his Avengers run, at least at first, but I hate his X-Men with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, and because of that I will never touch his stuff ever again.

Last edited:
I have seen Wish. I highly recommend it, especially to Disney fans. The animation is gorgeous!

Also, they ran a nice, special happy birthday to Mickey beforehand.
Rotten Tomatoes has been pretty meaningless for me for years, I figured this time would be no different! I'm buying our tickets for the Dolby theater closest to us 😁

Blog post with a listing of where the added characters are:

Disney Scrambles to Add Characters for Second Disney Jollywood Nights Event

Here’s a list of new characters that were at Disney Jollywood Nights tonight:

• Santa Duffy Bear (Mickey Short Film Theater)
  • Snow White & Dopey OR Mary Poppins & Penguin Waiter (Grand Avenue)
  • Jiminy Cricket OR Pinocchio (Center Stage near Chinese Theater)
  • Santa Stitch (Center Stage near Chinese Theater)
Duffy and co. on the way to the event after the first Jollywood Nights:

200w.gif

Anyone know if the gingerbread houses in CR & GF will still be up the weekend of 1/6? I assume the Christmas trees in the parks will still be there?

Anyone know if the gingerbread houses in CR & GF will still be up the weekend of 1/6? I assume the Christmas trees in the parks will still be there?
Looking through my pics from Jan 8-12, 2022, the Christmas tree was still up at AK and Gertie still had the Santa Hat at HS. Our AK day was the 8th, and we also hopped to HS that same day. We attended an AH at HS on the 11th, and I don’t see any Christmas items in the background, but it was at night so it’s not too defined. I don’t have any pics of MK or Epcot that aren’t ride pics, but I doubt two parks would still be decorated and two wiped clean.

Looking through my pics from Jan 8-12, 2022, the Christmas tree was still up at AK and Gertie still had the Santa Hat at HS. Our AK day was the 8th, and we also hopped to HS that same day. We attended an AH at HS on the 11th, and I don’t see any Christmas items in the background, but it was at night so it’s not too defined. I don’t have any pics of MK or Epcot that aren’t ride pics, but I doubt two parks would still be decorated and two wiped clean.
I think they started taking down the Epcot decorations first to get ready for the Festival of Arts.

Rotten Tomatoes has been pretty meaningless for me for years, I figured this time would be no different! I'm buying our tickets for the Dolby theater closest to us 😁

I am actually really surprised by the reviews. It tries to be such a "classic Disney movie" and it largely succeeds at doing so. For once, we don't get a surprise, twist villain. It's refreshing. And, again, the animation is spectacular. It's leaps and bounds beyond what others are doing. It borrows a lot from Paperman, but really expanded.

Maybe the movie is just something the Disney fans will get - but, man, Dinsey fans will get it!

I do not really care about the percentage of Rotten Tomatoes. However, I do like that it is one place to have all the reviews and I can read what they are actually saying. Some reviews pay attention to things I do not care about, so their opinion matters less. And sometimes they do say things I think are relevant for how I would experience a movie.

One thing I find it interesting when a movie gets around the 60% mark. That is usually worse, you can better be a bad movie than a meh movie.

I had already heard some commotion on social media about the songs. This is by fans, who love Disney movies. But that it is also a point in reviews is interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter