Disney Magic to Alaska?

JM_97

DIS Veteran
I'm just now looking at the 2026 sailings and noticed that the Magic is going through the Panama Canal in April, and the Wonder is still sailing the Mexican Rivera in May. Usually the Wonder is up in Alaska by that time. So does this mean they are putting the Magic in Alaska? Or are they just moving both Classic Ships out West?

Speculation I know, but just thought that part of it was interesting.

Interesting...the calendar for the Wonder lines up with its last cruises in Mexico in 2025, so no longer than usual. I was assuming Wonder keeping normal itineraries, but Magic staying in SD year round. Will be interesting to see what they do.

I'm also assuming the Wonder will keep to Alaska for Summer 2026 (although I'd love to take the Magic to Alaska).

But I am really curious what the Magic will be doing! If it sails along the Pacific coast I hope it does some more exciting sounding itineraries than the Wonder does currently (we just can't get excited for Ensenda and Catalina Island and the 7-night sailings always conflict with the school year).

I did complete a DCL survey after my cruise earlier this month where they were asking about different ports and my level of interest. The only one on the Pacific side was Puntarenas, Costa Rica. They also asked about Cartagena, which I see on the Panama Canal sailing.

When we sailed the Wonder last year we had a chanced to speak with the Captain and his speculation is that the classic ships will be decommissioned once more of the new ships were out. I hope that isn't the case as we loved the Wonder and are looking forward to sailing the Magic in the next few years.

I'm also assuming the Wonder will keep to Alaska for Summer 2026 (although I'd love to take the Magic to Alaska).

But I am really curious what the Magic will be doing! If it sails along the Pacific coast I hope it does some more exciting sounding itineraries than the Wonder does currently (we just can't get excited for Ensenda and Catalina Island and the 7-night sailings always conflict with the school year).

I did complete a DCL survey after my cruise earlier this month where they were asking about different ports and my level of interest. The only one on the Pacific side was Puntarenas, Costa Rica. They also asked about Cartagena, which I see on the Panama Canal sailing.

When we sailed the Wonder last year we had a chanced to speak with the Captain and his speculation is that the classic ships will be decommissioned once more of the new ships were out. I hope that isn't the case as we loved the Wonder and are looking forward to sailing the Magic in the next few years.
Noooooooo! Don't say that, I hope the classic ships are not decommissioned! They are our favorite ships! Along with Dream/Fantasy, they truly have classic ocean liner feel. We have no interest in the Wish/Treasure and that theme park on the water thing is not for us.

Noooooooo! Don't say that, I hope the classic ships are not decommissioned! They are our favorite ships! Along with Dream/Fantasy, they truly have classic ocean liner feel. We have no interest in the Wish/Treasure and that theme park on the water thing is not for us.
Agreed. I sure hope the captain was just speculating and is totally wrong as I love the classic ship as well. We just sailed the Fantasy and it felt too crowded for my tastes. Even my tween was missing the Wonder! (which he complained previously that it didn't have enough water slides).

I'm hoping the Magic does the Mexican Riveria and Hawaii. I know going to Hawaii from San Diego has some legal and logistical hurdles but it could still be done.

Agreed. I sure hope the captain was just speculating and is totally wrong as I love the classic ship as well. We just sailed the Fantasy and it felt too crowded for my tastes. Even my tween was missing the Wonder! (which he complained previously that it didn't have enough water slides).
I think they still have a few more years in them, but they are coming to an end sooner than later.

I don't think that Disney would have spent so much money adding short-side power, new satellite Internet systems, and new lounges to the Magic and Wonder if they planned to retire them soon. All of their corporate speak has been about doubling the size of the fleet, not replacing old ships.

Edited: no meaningful input as I was working out overlap.

Any chance of a DVC cruise on the Magic in S Cali / Mexican Riviera?

Last edited:
I'm hoping the Magic does the Mexican Riveria and Hawaii. I know going to Hawaii from San Diego has some legal and logistical hurdles but it could still be done.
Agreed. I would love to see the Magic do more frequent 7 night (or even longer) Mexican Riveria cruises. We've considering doing these on the Wonder but they overlap with the school year for us and we really want to try different ships for now (been on the Wonder and the Fantasy).

We weren't able to catch the Magic the last time it came to San Diego because it arrived right after our fall break and left right before winter break. It would be so amazing to be able to drive to a port to get on a cruise (San Diego is only 6 hours for us).

Unlikely, as I don't think Magic has proper weatherization for the pools to hit Alaska. Work was done on the Wonder for that.

Magic might do Vancouver to Hawaii or go Pacific.
I thought the Magic sailed in Europe before the Dream and did the Norwegian Fiords. If so then it would be weatherized as well.

It's very intriguing that there are cruises listed out of SD into May on the Wonder but nothing listed for the Magic after its arrives in SD in mid April 🤔

I thought the Magic sailed in Europe before the Dream and did the Norwegian Fiords. If so then it would be weatherized as well.
I did the 7 Night Norwegian Fjords on The Magic in 2022. It is not weatherized. The ship went deep into the fjords at the end of summer, so the weather was not cold. Well to me it wasnt cold, as I am from Ireland and our climate is very similar to Washington State. The water wasnt icy and we didnt go far enough north to the really cold parts which are similar to Alaska.

I noticed that too, which makes me think they are doing something new-ish with the Magic.
I think either the Magic is going to Alaska and the Wonder will come back east, or the Wonder will return to Alaska and Disney will sail Mexico and Hawaii in the summer.

By that time, they probably have enough ships to where they can do two West coasts ships for the first time ever, and with a push towards the new bells and whistles in the Bahamas and Caribbean, they'll put the classic ships out west.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter