Disney Magic Kingdoms

I haven't watched Bambi for decades. The problem I've always had with the movie is that it isn't really a movie. There's no story, no plot, no anything. Just a series of sequences that they fit together to somehow create a 60 minute "film". "A deer makes friends and grows up in the woods" is a weak attempt at giving a plot line, and yet, that's the whole damn thing. If I asked anyone to tell me the story of The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers, or Robin Hood, I'd get a totally different answer from "tell me the story of Bambi".

Hey, at least we're only going to get 4-5 characters.

That's another problem I have with Bambi - which Bambi do we get? We see him throughout his whole life, so do we get baby Bambi, adolescent Bambi, or adult Bambi? I'm assuming baby since that's his most recognizable design, but since the game takes place after everyone's movies he should be an adult.

Mulan was an event and only had 3 characters as was Nightmare Before Xmas which gave 4.

Mulan was kind of a mini-event though, wasn't it? I seem to remember it being only two weeks long and not really having any plot. Nightmare Before Christmas was only the game's second event, so I think they were still figuring things out. The last years worth of events have had 7 or more characters each.

Mulan was kind of a mini-event though, wasn't it? I seem to remember it being only two weeks long and not really having any plot.
Mulan was merely Disney in full on P.C. mode, where they felt that they had to recognize the Lunar New Year for whatever reason. Plus, it gave them an excuse to try and sell us five costumes.

Mulan was merely Disney in full on P.C. mode. They had to recognize the Lunar New Year for whatever reason, and it gave them an excuse to try and sell us five costumes.

I figured it was more Disney trying to bring Mulan back into the spotlight since they were announcing all of the live action news then, and clearly Disney thinks everyone forgot Mulan was a movie since they thought they could cut out the music, Li Shang, and the Huns without anyone noticing.

I was irritated that the tappers didn't have a personal event rewards like usual. I didn't play any of them b/c the rewards weren't worth the hassle, I would rather get the event tokens vs competing for a dumb prize.

I figured it was more Disney trying to bring Mulan back into the spotlight since they were announcing all of the live action news then, and clearly Disney thinks everyone forgot Mulan was a movie since they thought they could cut out the music, Li Shang, and the Huns without anyone noticing.
Not so sure about that. The event was a little while ago and the movie is still no where to be seen.

That's another problem I have with Bambi - which Bambi do we get? We see him throughout his whole life, so do we get baby Bambi, adolescent Bambi, or adult Bambi? I'm assuming baby since that's his most recognizable design, but since the game takes place after everyone's movies he should be an adult.

Mulan was kind of a mini-event though, wasn't it? I seem to remember it being only two weeks long and not really having any plot. Nightmare Before Christmas was only the game's second event, so I think they were still figuring things out. The last years worth of events have had 7 or more characters each.

If it’s another time based event (hope it’s not, but who am I kidding, it will be) and they are going to force 7 more characters into it, why not have all 3 versions of Bambi? Sure, it would be the first time we’d have multiples, but it might make more sense than adding characters who shouldn’t be included. Or maybe 1 Bambi, and have 2 “costume” versions of the other ages?

Bami would be fine, as long as it isn't TIMED!! I NEED A BREAK!!!!!! I kind of hope it is Bambi though. I love Thumper and Flower

I agree, I need a break too. Also, I’d like the time to max out a few more characters. If they’re gonna Force another time event at us, make it a smaller event with 3 or 4 characters. Maybe have it run a shorter time, or same length, but much more relaxed pace.

Adolescent Bambi. These are the ages the audience likes the best, and Disney knows this, as you never see any of the characters in their adult form as merchandise. Simba and Nala has to be adult because, with the exception of Lion King 1/2, they are both stuck in that age due to Lion King 2, Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable, and the success of the Lion Guard. Every time I see kid Simba merchandise, every young child ends up calling him Kion.

Mulan was merely Disney in full on P.C. mode, where they felt that they had to recognize the Lunar New Year for whatever reason. Plus, it gave them an excuse to try and sell us five costumes.

I thought that was odd too, especially since I was at WDW at the time, but when they brought her back this year, I finally understood. They have a big Lunar New Year celebration at Disneyland. Or, rather, DCA. I think it’s odd that they would have an event, to promote a local festival, which is relatively unknown to not only the majority of its global players, but the country itself. While in SoCal, I learned that it’s not just Disney that does this. Universal, Sea World, and many others host their own Lunar New Year events.

I thought that was odd too, especially since I was at WDW at the time, but when they brought her back this year, I finally understood. They have a big Lunar New Year celebration at Disneyland. Or, rather, DCA. I think it’s odd that they would have an event, to promote a local festival, which is relatively unknown to not only the majority of its global players, but the country itself. While in SoCal, I learned that it’s not just Disney that does this. Universal, Sea World, and many others host their own Lunar New Year events.
Theme parks can't afford to not cater to every nationality and special interest group out there. Especially with THREE Disney parks in the far east. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Adolescent Bambi. These are the ages the audience likes the best, and Disney knows this, as you never see any of the characters in their adult form as merchandise. Simba and Nala has to be adult because, with the exception of Lion King 1/2, they are both stuck in that age due to Lion King 2, Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable, and the success of the Lion Guard. Every time I see kid Simba merchandise, every young child ends up calling him Kion.

Who the **** is Kion???

This may just be a California thing, but this is statewide and has absolutely nothing to do with theme parks. Most cities have a lunar day parade and its a big deal in schools too, it just makes sense for the theme parks to do bigger and better ones to draw the crowds on days they may be inclined to go elsewhere for free entertainment. Honestly until this moment I had no idea this wasn’t 100% normal so thanks for educating me on that lol

Who the **** is Kion???
Ding ding ding....

This may just be a California thing, but this is statewide and has absolutely nothing to do with theme parks. Most cities have a lunar day parade and its a big deal in schools too, it just makes sense for the theme parks to do bigger and better ones to draw the crowds on days they may be inclined to go elsewhere for free entertainment. Honestly until this moment I had no idea this wasn’t 100% normal so thanks for educating me on that lol
My sister is a first grade teacher in the NYC public school system, and all of a sudden a couple of years ago, she started getting off for Chinese (now Lunar... whatever) New Year. Apparently it's now an official day on the school calendar for them.

Who the **** is Kion???

LMAO! “Who is Angel?” Like her, he has his roots in an animated series. He is Simba’s son. Kiara is still around, but has her own royal responsibilities since she is the heir to the throne. It is set in between the Lion King 2, since they’re all kids. Kovu, Vitani, Nuka, and Zyra also appear in an episode, confirming the timeline.

It’s actually a pretty good show. Great animation and the few songs are pretty good too. Don’t let being on Disney Junior fool you. I am 35yo and enjoy it. I didn’t much care for the Timon and Pumba animated series, even when I was a kid, so to me, this is a million times better.

At the parks and the Disney Store, not much Lion King merch can be found, but you’ll find a ton of Lion Guard. It’s on it’s 3rd season. They know they have a hit.

Theme parks can't afford to not cater to every nationality and special interest group out there. Especially with THREE Disney parks in the far east. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But why DL and not WDW? The Chinese pavilion at EPCOT was enough? They could very easily bring out the old Mulan floats, if they were stored properly.

We don’t have such a thing at Six Flags. ...of course, they’re also closed during that time, but various other places don’t. We have a large Hispanic population where I live, but even though it’s open then, Six Flags doesn’t have a Cinco De Mayo festival. I guess they figure that since this particular location has had a Mexico land, they don’t need to. Riding a giant sombrero is all you need.

Yeah, I figured that having festivals at theme parks is just an excuse to bring in the locals with a belief of something new. As for being a CA thing, I never realized this was an actual large culture. Where I’m from, I have to venture out of my suburban bubble to find people who aren’t Caucasian. It’s not hard to do, but within, they’re pretty rare. But outside, Asians are still extremely rare, which is pretty amazing, because one of the biggest anime distributors is minutes from my house. Of course, the CEO is Asian. (Yea! I found one!)

So, anyway, a couple months ago we decided to go to SoCal and do the DL thing. DL, DCA, Legoland, and Sea World. Not sure how to express this without sounding super racist, but I was amazed at how many Asians I saw. I was like a secluded African tribe seeing a white person for the first time... ...so cool. Don’t stare! Don’t stare! Don’t stare! I mean, I guess it makes sense, Big Hero 6, was sort of a living form of this. With its many ports, and even preUS history, why wouldn’t there be that many?

Anyway, I was wondering if there really were that many Asians living there or if they were all simply on vacation, visiting the US. I remember in the parks seeing so many Tokyo DL merch, and seeing Duffy and friends. I remember having to correct my husband “No dear, that’s not Duffy. That’s Shelly May.” And then schooling him on who Gelatoni and Stella Lou were. But I’m sure the majority actually lived there. Otherwise the festival would just be plain weird. Like going to Disney Sea and them having an American festival.

But why DL and not WDW? The Chinese pavilion at EPCOT was enough? They could very easily bring out the old Mulan floats, if they were stored properly.
Most likely for the same reason there are no attraction holiday overlays at WDW. The Florida park gets hundreds of thousands of first time visitors or folks who haven't been back for years. The California park gets the same 10,000 people year in and year out. I guess the figure if local west coast residents somehow find vapid Tron or Alice in Wonderland dance parties entertaining, they're going to love a Lunar New Year celebration.

Most likely for the same reason there are no attraction holiday overlays at WDW. The Florida park gets hundreds of thousands of first time visitors or folks who haven't been back for years. The California park gets the same 10,000 people year in and year out. I guess the figure if local west coast residents somehow find vapid Tron or Alice in Wonderland dance parties entertaining, they're going to love a Lunar New Year celebration.

Do they really need to put in such an effort though? I was there Jan 22-24 (weekdays) and it was super busy. They were still setting up for Lunar NY, and soooooo many things were closed for maintenance or retheming. If there was a time NOT to go, that would’ve been it. Yet, despite this, everyone in purchasing lines ahead of me got their AP discounts. Such an expensive luxury. I can see that they want to get their moneys worth, but to be a local, who not only can afford CA’s cost of living, AND afford an AP, AND be able to not work during the weekday, and for them to be THAT many... ...wow.

Disney could go full on #ThanksEuroDisney across all of the US parks just as they did in the 90s and still do pretty well until the next 9/11. Just look at EPCOT. Lots of things closed due to costs and staffing. ...still pretty busy, even without the festivals.

Quick turnaround on the tappers, good thing I'll be up before the sun tomorrow to watch the royal wedding!
Zero interest in giving these outdated irrelevant "royals" even a second of my precious time. Listen up, England... you have a fully functioning Parliament now. It's perfectly OK to boot those sham figureheads the hell out of your nation. Bulldoze over that centuries-old dilapidated palace and build a McDonald's. Or a parking lot. Or a petting zoo. Something worthwhile. Of course, we're talking about a nation that has lost its collective mind over that human baby factory Kate Middleton (and yes, I had to look up her name).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter