Disney Hilton Head

sissy1

Mouseketeer
Who has been to Hilton Head? Please give me some feedback on whats there besides the beach. Thinking about bringing my 9 year old grand daughter

We just went this past September. It was my husband and I, my two daughters (7 & 8) and my mother. We all had an amazingly wonderful time. The beach was a big part of the trip, but we also spent a lot of time just around the resort taking part in the campfire activities and lounging. There's also some really great food around Hilton Head Island. There are also plenty of bikes to rent if you want to ride around the island. This seemed to be a very popular pastime for lots of people (we didn't do it this time). We also spent some time checking out the light house in Sea Pines (costs $6/day per car to hang out in Sea Pines).

LOVE Hilton Head. We go every spring. We do spend a lot of time on the beach, but there are some really amazing restaurants, miles of bike paths, and tons of shopping. Make sure you visit Salty Dog if you go! :)

We went to Hilton Head this year for the first time. We are DVC members and had only stayed at WDW DVC resorts previously. After this trip we took over the summer, we will now be making this an annual trip as all of us fell in love with the resort and the location.

The resort grounds are beautiful, with huge trees that provide shade across the entire resort. There are paved walking/biking paths that wind and meander around all of the buildings and facilities. The pool area is nice with a slide that is themed in the likeness of a water tower. This location also has shuffle board, table games, equipment rental, the community center and a small store. What is really great is this long wooden walkway that goes out into the bay side that ends in a small, covered fishing pier. This was a very enjoyable time for us as we rented fishing equipment at high tide and went out fishing as the sun was setting. The kids LOVED it, and we didn't even catch anything.

IMG_3033.JPG

Something else that we took advantage of are the grills that are placed at random locations within the resort grounds. We grilled steaks and even made pizza one night outside as opposed to leaving the resort to go out to eat. There are also hammocks at certain spots and there were always some that were available (there are a few that are right by the bay with great views of the water).

Most people in Hilton Head rent bikes, and this seems to be the favorite mode of transportation for everyone on the island. And there are literally bike paths EVERYWHERE. And the bike paths themselves are fun as they wind in and out of trees and go up and down berms instead of just taking a straight path. They even make it easy to cross the main road by having the path go underneath, avoiding having to wait and cross through traffic. Each day we went to the beach we took our bikes, although there is also a resort shuttle that will take you from the main resort to the Beach House, located right along the beach (the resort is located on the 'bay side' and the resort's beach house is about a mile away). The beach house is great though, as it provides a really nice place to relax when not on the beach itself. It has an air conditioned space that is nicely decorated with a TV and tables/chairs, as well as nice sofas. The Beach House itself also has a pool, as well as a bar, a Quick Service eatery, as well as pool tables, ping pong, and a small kid's splash and play area. We were there one day when a small thunder storm came rushing through. We didn't have enough time to ride our bikes back to the resort and this provided a nice place for us to stay during the storm. Additionally, there are bathrooms there, and they are the nicest bathrooms I have ever visited when staying at a beach (my main point of reference is New Jersey beaches and some of the beach side bathrooms there are frightening).

IMG_2994.jpg

And of course, the beach is the beach, and it is gorgeous. As I hinted at earlier, we have mainly gone to Jersey beaches; Cape May, Avalon, Ocean City, and we do like them. But this beach was just different as it was never even close to crowded, the water was warm enough to just walk right in, and it was so clean.

IMG_2963.JPG

I also forgot to mention that the resort itself is located right next to a marina, and there is a walkway way all along the side. Everyday we would walk or ride along this and it was always filled with boats, some were yachts (that I imagine were filled with money due to their size).

IMG_3001.JPG

Finally, one great thing about this island are the number of great places to eat. On the other side of the marina are at least 3 different restaurants alone, and we decided to eat at one of them and it was really nice as we sat by the water and the weather was absolutely perfect. We ate at 3 really nice places, and also grilled and ate in several times so you spend a bit some of nights, while eating in your resort to save a little on food some of the other nights. The nights out were fun, just some research ahead of time on the local restaurants and you will definitely find some great places.

IMG_2971.JPG

Hope that this has been helpful.

IMG_2934.jpg

We LOVE Disney HHI and go every summer. Along with all the good stuff mentioned above, their are tons of activities all day long: campfire and sing along, capture the flag, pirate treasure hunts, Mickey tie dye and many other crafts. You can't miss BLou doing magic, telling stories, teaching juggling etc and definitely catch him with Shadow. The Pirate pool party is always a ton of fun.

It's such a relaxing chill atmosphere. We ride bikes, read in hammocks, grill out and eat on the balcony, go fishing and crabbing, play pool, checkers and ping pong. We've borrowed movies and games. The pool and slide are fun (even for adults) and sometimes we even shuttle to the beach pool and swim there for something different even if we skip the beach.

The brown buildings are not Disney. They are the condos on the marina across the bridge. It looks like the pictures were taken from the walkway along the marina side of the Disney "island"

Our family loved our stay at Disney's HHI. We had a 2 bedroom condo and it was clean and spacious with a gorgeous view of the marsh. My husband thought it was one of our best vacations ever. Great pool, beautiful marsh views, and lots of fun family activities. It really felt like very upscale camping. There were lots of family games like ping pong and shuffle board, bingo nights, outdoor movies, campfires, and arts and crafts. We rode our bikes (we rented from a local company rather than Disney and it was cheaper) to the beach and enjoyed the special dinner they had at the beach house. The beach is gorgeous. You just have to ride about a mile or so to get there. We also took a private dolphin tour that left from the marina in front of the resort. It was a great experience. There is so much to do at the resort alone, you won't need to do anything else on HH. But if you like, there are many non-Disney activities as well.

Highly, highly recommend.

We loved HHI! We haven't stayed at the Disney resort so I can't speak for those activities (family owns a different timeshare close by) but we always find new things to do on the island! We always take a day and eat/shop around Sea Pines, there are different dolphin/wildlife cruises and kayak trips you can take. Definitely rent bikes and just take in the sights. You are also really close to Savannah, GA where there is even more to do. We always take a day to spend over there as well. They offer different city and historical tours and we always shop on River Street.

We went to Hilton Head this year for the first time. We are DVC members and had only stayed at WDW DVC resorts previously. After this trip we took over the summer, we will now be making this an annual trip as all of us fell in love with the resort and the location.

The resort grounds are beautiful, with huge trees that provide shade across the entire resort. There are paved walking/biking paths that wind and meander around all of the buildings and facilities. The pool area is nice with a slide that is themed in the likeness of a water tower. This location also has shuffle board, table games, equipment rental, the community center and a small store. What is really great is this long wooden walkway that goes out into the bay side that ends in a small, covered fishing pier. This was a very enjoyable time for us as we rented fishing equipment at high tide and went out fishing as the sun was setting. The kids LOVED it, and we didn't even catch anything.

View attachment 132801

Something else that we took advantage of are the grills that are placed at random locations within the resort grounds. We grilled steaks and even made pizza one night outside as opposed to leaving the resort to go out to eat. There are also hammocks at certain spots and there were always some that were available (there are a few that are right by the bay with great views of the water).

Most people in Hilton Head rent bikes, and this seems to be the favorite mode of transportation for everyone on the island. And there are literally bike paths EVERYWHERE. And the bike paths themselves are fun as they wind in and out of trees and go up and down berms instead of just taking a straight path. They even make it easy to cross the main road by having the path go underneath, avoiding having to wait and cross through traffic. Each day we went to the beach we took our bikes, although there is also a resort shuttle that will take you from the main resort to the Beach House, located right along the beach (the resort is located on the 'bay side' and the resort's beach house is about a mile away). The beach house is great though, as it provides a really nice place to relax when not on the beach itself. It has an air conditioned space that is nicely decorated with a TV and tables/chairs, as well as nice sofas. The Beach House itself also has a pool, as well as a bar, a Quick Service eatery, as well as pool tables, ping pong, and a small kid's splash and play area. We were there one day when a small thunder storm came rushing through. We didn't have enough time to ride our bikes back to the resort and this provided a nice place for us to stay during the storm. Additionally, there are bathrooms there, and they are the nicest bathrooms I have ever visited when staying at a beach (my main point of reference is New Jersey beaches and some of the beach side bathrooms there are frightening).

View attachment 132802

And of course, the beach is the beach, and it is gorgeous. As I hinted at earlier, we have mainly gone to Jersey beaches; Cape May, Avalon, Ocean City, and we do like them. But this beach was just different as it was never even close to crowded, the water was warm enough to just walk right in, and it was so clean.

View attachment 132804

I also forgot to mention that the resort itself is located right next to a marina, and there is a walkway way all along the side. Everyday we would walk or ride along this and it was always filled with boats, some were yachts (that I imagine were filled with money due to their size).

View attachment 132805

Finally, one great thing about this island are the number of great places to eat. On the other side of the marina are at least 3 different restaurants alone, and we decided to eat at one of them and it was really nice as we sat by the water and the weather was absolutely perfect. We ate at 3 really nice places, and also grilled and ate in several times so you spend a bit some of nights, while eating in your resort to save a little on food some of the other nights. The nights out were fun, just some research ahead of time on the local restaurants and you will definitely find some great places.

View attachment 132806

View attachment 132807
Thank

View attachment 132801

View attachment 132802

View attachment 132804

View attachment 132805

View attachment 132806

View attachment 132807
Thank you so much, this was very helpful

Thank

Thank you so much, this was very helpful

You are very welcome! I like to share this type of information when possible as we are huge Disney fans, and as such I like to share the love when possible. And @Chelley00 stated, there is so much more to do that she was good at capturing. I only commented on the stuff that we focused on. There was a lot of beach time for us as my kids love the beach. And it was so nice to be able to go into the water without having it take your breath away. But yes, there are so many activities at the resort (and on the island in general) that you will not be bored in any way. Disney really hit it out of the park with this resort and its location. If I get a chance I might post a few more photos for you to see. I just realized I really didn't post any of the resort itself. The brown buildings in the above photo are indeed the places across the marina and are not a part of the resort. I will add a link to the resort home page.

https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/

One other event that is worth mentioning is the low country boil/backyard barbecue. It is seasonal so it depends upon what time of year you go. When we went they were offering the backyard barbecue. It was an all you can eat buffet that is served at the main pool area of the resort. It is a separate charge per person and will sell out but the food was very good and you are right by the pool and activity area. We had a lot of fun when we went (and also got stuffed!).

This is a few of years old, but here's a trip report I did since I hadn't seen many before. It will show you some of the activities and things. Make note that these are the old rooms and everything has been refurbed to the green/blue/yellow/white theme now

http://www.disboards.com/threads/it...lton-head-dvc-trip-report-june-21-28.3135433/

Looking back I see a lot of our favorite lifeguards in our report! One amazing thing is those lifeguards. After a few days they recognize you (usually by name) and are genuinely sad when you leave! Some of our favorites are still there and recognize our kids when we return (as does BLou)

You are very welcome! I like to share this type of information when possible as we are huge Disney fans, and as such I like to share the love when possible. And @Chelley00 stated, there is so much more to do that she was good at capturing. I only commented on the stuff that we focused on. There was a lot of beach time for us as my kids love the beach. And it was so nice to be able to go into the water without having it take your breath away. But yes, there are so many activities at the resort (and on the island in general) that you will not be bored in any way. Disney really hit it out of the park with this resort and its location. If I get a chance I might post a few more photos for you to see. I just realized I really didn't post any of the resort itself. The brown buildings in the above photo are indeed the places across the marina and are not a part of the resort. I will add a link to the resort home page.

https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/

One other event that is worth mentioning is the low country boil/backyard barbecue. It is seasonal so it depends upon what time of year you go. When we went they were offering the backyard barbecue. It was an all you can eat buffet that is served at the main pool area of the resort. It is a separate charge per person and will sell out but the food was very good and you are right by the pool and activity area. We had a lot of fun when we went (and also got stuffed!).
Thanks again

Here are some photos of buildings...

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20059.jpg

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20081.jpg

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20070.jpg

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20061.jpg

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20072.jpg

Hilton%20Head%202013%202%20082.jpg

HHI is a DVC resort, so you might find more information on the DVC Resorts Board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter