Disney Cruise Line Updates Castaway Club Membership Requirements

Someone above mentioned this has actually be in the Terms & Conditions since at least March. If that is true it doesn't seem that DCL is in huge rush to actually purge the database. I'm not sure why this suddenly surfaced yesterday other than someone probably finally noticed it.

I agree with the PP who suggested this may be tied to data privacy -- which is becoming stricter about what and how much data a company can maintain on an individual and for how long. I see it as a CYA for DCL to point to this clause in case they have to clean out records at some point -- not that they are actively trying to limit CC status of cruisers.
I wonder if Disney is trying to actually make money off of their loyalty program data. Maybe this is just the first step in cleaning house. Don’t be shocked by that statement because everyone does it. Most loyalty programs have cash value based on two things. Selling points to credit card companies and marketing value of their database.

With data protection, it’s interesting, because I’m assuming a good part of their database are made up of people who never gave “permission” ( minors, people added to the reservations). Those that book and give their information that’s a different thing.

Depending on the data laws and the type of communication, Disney has their hands tied where they can’t even contact their members to confirm their existence or anything. Maybe they’ll change the process that in all future bookings you need to give permission or confirmation on all travelers and their CC information who knows. And that a five year is just a pragmatic approach to purge.

I wonder if Disney is trying to actually make money off of their loyalty program data. Maybe this is just the first step in cleaning house. Don’t be shocked by that statement because everyone does it. Most loyalty programs have cash value based on two things. Selling points to credit card companies and marketing value of their database.

With data protection, it’s interesting, because I’m assuming a good part of their database are made up of people who never gave “permission” ( minors, people added to the reservations). Those that book and give their information that’s a different thing.

Depending on the data laws and the type of communication, Disney has their hands tied where they can’t even contact their members to confirm their existence or anything. Maybe they’ll change the process that in all future bookings you need to give permission or confirmation on all travelers and their CC information who knows. And that a five year is just a pragmatic approach to purge.
Smart move DCL

For those saying that it’s gonna be an issue for them because Disney is so expensive and not everyone can afford to sail every five years are missing the point. This new policy isn’t affecting those people. I’m wracking my brain right now. Trying to figure out how a gold, platinum or pearl status member achieves this by sailing only every five years.

For those saying that it’s gonna be an issue for them because Disney is so expensive and not everyone can afford to sail every five years are missing the point. This new policy isn’t affecting those people. I’m wracking my brain right now. Trying to figure out how a gold, platinum or pearl status member achieves this by sailing only every five years.
It's more likely that they sailed more frequently at another stage of life, and would still like the benefits they earned from the time they travelled more frequently.

My relationship with Marriott hotels is this way... There are certain perks I will be entitled to for the rest of my life (allegedly) even if I never set foot in another Marriott hotel. The decade or so of choosing to spend my time and $$s with them has made it worth having a lifetime benefit.

Most hotel chains and airlines have a lifetime benefit, as well as an annual earning structure. These two reward benefits tend to compliment and dovetail nicely with each other insofar as these benefits have any utility at all.

Cruises, it seems to me, generally have only offered lifetime benefits. I have found all the lines benefits that I look into to be rather weak. You have to hit 30 nights on Royal Caribbean just to be given bathrobes for example. While the top tier benefits are better than what Disney offers, the structure is based on rewarding long cruises, so benefits don't become meaningful until you have hit 80 points, and the best benefits don't take effect until you hit 700 points. Generally you earn 1 point per night, I believe suites are 2 points per night.

It's actually quite simple to figure out. We took 5 DCL cruises over the course of about 12 years when our son was little. Then we took a break beginning in 2016 when he left for college as we wanted to branch out to some more adult oriented lines. Now that my husband has retired and we have more time to travel we've booked a couple of DCL cruises to try the Mouse again. But we did not book them within 5 years of 2016, so I have no clue if they are going to kick us back to newbie status when it's time to book our onboard activities. As of right now, they still have me listed as gold, but who knows if that will change?

Add to that there was this little thing called the pandemic that happened during the last five years causing the cruise industry to shut down and it's even easier to understand why someone could achieve gold or platinum status and yet not have sailed in 5 years. Life happens, other things take priority. Disney is obviously free to do whatever they want with their loyalty program, but I still think it's an odd decision. As far as I know MSC is the only other cruise line that does anything like this and from what I've gathered they are a very budget focussed line - not exactly the market Disney is going after :goodvibes . Royal, Carnival and NCL all seem to manage to maintain their (much, much larger) customer databases for their loyalty programs just fine!

I feel there are a lot of people saying they haven’t sailed in 5+ years but have a cruise booked and are worried about losing status - from the wording of the policy, you won’t. I don’t know how they’ll handle things going forward, but if you already have a cruise booked, you should be fine, no matter when you last cruised.

They already applied that for those. My friends are close friends with a couple that was at 70 cruises but then about 8y ago something happened on their cruise that they didnt appreciate how it was handled and they moved cruise lines… they were never contacyed for the cc namething
But will they actually remove names?? I guess I do not see that happening.

In my opinion, it's more of a disincentive to stick with Disney. Five years is not a long time. There are legitimate reasons why someone might not be able to cruise for five years such as health reasons or financial hardships.

Do any other cruise lines do this? I haven't cruised with Carnival for 7 years and still have my status.
We haven’t sailed with Royal in over 10 years and I still have my same status

I feel there are a lot of people saying they haven’t sailed in 5+ years but have a cruise booked and are worried about losing status - from the wording of the policy, you won’t. I don’t know how they’ll handle things going forward, but if you already have a cruise booked, you should be fine, no matter when you last cruised.
I hope you're correct. That's how I read it at first as well, but since then at least one poster above was told by a DCL phone rep that their parents were losing their status even though they already had a cruise booked due to this new rule. Was that phone rep misinformed? Maybe. It happens. But that's what they were told.

We haven’t sailed with Royal in over 10 years and I still have my same status
Yes. We sailed with them in 2002 and then we didn't sail again until 2016... and they still gave us the points from the 2002 cruise! We're finally close to Diamond now (80 points) after almost 22 years. We're really excited to reach that level because its means DH and I will each get 4 free adult beverages per day on every cruise after that.

we're gold. we'll probably go beyond the 5 years and thereby lose our status.
Another reason for us to stick with Royal.
We've begun cruising with Royal as we like the product better.
It's slightly cheaper, but not significantly, since we mainly cruise in Europe where all cruises are rather pricey.
But our recent cruises on Royal have matched or surpassed our most recent disney cruises.
And now with this, we'll have no reason to go back.

Yes. We sailed with them in 2002 and then we didn't sail again until 2016... and they still gave us the points from the 2002 cruise! We're finally close to Diamond now (80 points) after almost 22 years. We're really excited to reach that level because its means DH and I will each get 4 free adult beverages per day on every cruise after that.

that benefit is incredible!!!!!! 4 free drinks per day (up to $14 each per day)
that's just amazing!!! sadly, we're only platinum as we only started back with royal in 2022..
and we can only cruise once a year so it will be a very long time before we make diamond...

Well, if the goal is to purge Silver then limit it to Silver. But once someone makes Gold or higher they arguably spent plenty with DCL and purging their status after 5 years will just encourage them to cruise with other companies when they do cruise again eventually.
No one is cruising DCL for the Castaway Club benefits. A "free" Palo dinner? A merchandise discount you can easily get with a free Disney Visa?

Many of us can’t get the free Disney visa because we’re not US residents. so the savings do add up It’s actually one of the only discounts we ever get at Disney.
Even in the US, there are plenty of reasons not to get a Disney Visa. I don't have one and I don't want one. So, I enjoy the 10% discount that I get for my CC status.

Royal does tweak their benefits at times - most lines do.

Given the complaints I see on Cruise Critic about the overwhelming number of Diamond and Diamond+ cruisers, it would not surprise me if they eventually change them as they'll end up losing money on drinks as more and more people are getting their free coupons and limiting themselves to those drinks.

Especially as it doesn't seem kids who never paid a cent for a cruise maintain whatever status they got thanks to their parents once they're out of the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter