Disney Cruise Experience is Worth It

Did you price out for 2024? If so, it could also be because it’s so close to the sail date.

I priced out a deluxe ocean view with verandah for 7 nights Europe (northern Europe) and it was $5500 for two adults. I know the third and fourth would be a bit more but not thousands more.
To draw a like by like comparison you have to compare the exact month. That’s to do with school holidays. So $10,300 it is July 25. Two adults and two children. This is a Mediterranean cruise , so also a like for like itinerary.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Disney vacations. Do you have to cross The Pond for them?
Most of the time I cross the pond if I want to do a winter sun Caribbean type cruise, but sail in Europe if it’s the family including grandkids.
It’s just to avoid the huge cost of airfares for us, but DCL cruises in the Med are eye wateringly expensive and we can no longer sail in the med because our children in the uk are still at school, so we can only sail in August.
We tried one but it wasn’t for us. The weather was cold windy and often wet. Despite this the pool was heaving to the point that they closed it every hour for enforced toilet breaks!
So overall it just didn’t work for us, so I think we’d look for a cruise line with masses of extra stuff for the kiddies. Although I can’t see us sailing much in the future. I may sail just with a friend though in Winter as normal.
After my next two cruises I’ll have sailed with DCL 20 times but there’s no itinerary I fancy for 2025 so far.

I don't cruise that frequently although my first disney cruise was in the early 2000's so I've been cruising for a long time. When I decided I wanted to do a cruise for my upcoming 50th birthday I looked at Disney first. I just wanted a "vacation" - relaxing and not very expensive plane tickets and I live on the east coast so Florida is usually pretty reasonable to get to.

I had a choice of the Magic 5 night out of Ft Lauderdale or the Fantasy 7 night out of PC. The Fantasy is the first real trip to lighthouse point so it was already quite booked up and very very expensive. The magic I ended up paying around $4700 for a secret verandah room for 2. Then I started shopping around to see what else I could get for my money.

I am very picky and I like nice hotels, so an older, less well maintained, not as beautifully appointed ship would not make me happy. I found that when comparing apples to apples - nicer Royal Caribbean ships (not the HUGE new megaships but still nicer ones) or other cruise lines upgrading to similar amenities that Disney provides as a base for their standard balcony rooms, there wasn't much price difference. Sure, they were much less than the $9-10k it would have been on the Fantasy but compared to the magic, not much difference. I like the 5 day itinerary for an adult only trip as it allows time at both ends to deal with stuff at home.

And I just love the magic, it makes me feel good, it is familiar, I don't have to "learn" the deal with another cruise line and it is an absolutely beautiful ship that makes me happy to be on it. I loved the fantasy and dream too and had the itineraries worked out would have been happy to have been on any of the trips. I get that the special and desirable voyages will carry a huge premium but if you just want disney for the sake of disney there are options and if you compare apples to apples against ships that are comparable (It seems Disney is the only one where all of the ships are kept up to snuff - in other lines you really have to make sure you're not on an older/dated ship or if you are, that accounts for lower price), the pricing is really not all that different.

If you are willing to go down a step then of course you can save money. If you want a particular itinerary that is not one of the standards, you can save money as these are things other cruiselines have been doing for a very long time (I have heard and read that princess has Alaskan itineraries pretty much nailed.) But if you like Disney for Disney's sake there are options and if you are fussy about being on a nicer ship then the differences are not really that great. You are going to pay for nice/new/well maintained/great customer service no matter where you go.
I’m about to cruise numbers 19 and 20 DCL so I am a DCL fan, so it was with trepidation that I stepped out of my comfort zone and did 2 Princess cruises last Feb/March. I just wanted a change really. I know all the DCL shows and recognise every dining menu. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I’d say for those itineraries were comparable in every way. Some things DCL came out on top, some Princess. There were jazz bands, steel drums, string quartets, singers and entertainers everywhere. Their show Bravo was spectacular.
However, it was noisy with so many people partaking of the drinks package and that was a downside so next week I’m back to DCL, but I’m open to a variety of experiences, and cruise lines.
Next Summer my friend and I are trying Cunard because we just want a really dressy cruise where gowns and cocktail dresses are encouraged. That’s really a niche market these days and not something DCL offers. Will we like it? No idea, but I can tick that box and sail again or not! If I don’t try it I’ll never know.

Our very first cruise was on Princess, 15 nights from San Francisco to Hawaii and back, my Mother-in-Law paid for it as a family trip. It was a nice and fun trip, but the line is a little too stuffy, especially for 15 nights which had 3 formal nights. I don't really want to get full dressed up in a suit and tie for dinner. Shortly after that, we did our first DCL cruise, 3 nights on the Dream, and I had looked up the prices on it and it was half the cost of the 15 night cruise. And my wife and I agree, that DCL fits us better. I would cruise Princess again, but for us, Disney was the better line. We have our first Royal Caribbean cruise coming up this September, but it is sandwiched in-between 7 nights DVC Member Cruise in May and 7 nights on the Treasure in January. But everyone has their criteria for what they like. Disney is expensive, but it fits us perfectly fine. I'm not too sure how I would do on Carnival, Cunard or Virgin.

I’m about to cruise numbers 19 and 20 DCL so I am a DCL fan, so it was with trepidation that I stepped out of my comfort zone and did 2 Princess cruises last Feb/March. I just wanted a change really. I know all the DCL shows and recognise every dining menu. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I’d say for those itineraries were comparable in every way. Some things DCL came out on top, some Princess. There were jazz bands, steel drums, string quartets, singers and entertainers everywhere. Their show Bravo was spectacular.
However, it was noisy with so many people partaking of the drinks package and that was a downside so next week I’m back to DCL, but I’m open to a variety of experiences, and cruise lines.
Next Summer my friend and I are trying Cunard because we just want a really dressy cruise where gowns and cocktail dresses are encouraged. That’s really a niche market these days and not something DCL offers. Will we like it? No idea, but I can tick that box and sail again or not! If I don’t try it I’ll never know.
oh for sure if you are taking that many cruises you will be looking for something new at some point. I don't mind that they haven't changed the menus in 20 years as I'm about to go on my 7th cruise and there is enough variety for me even without it changing.

Cunard ships are beautiful, I was just looking at the Queen Mary 2 eclipse transatlantic voyage in 2026 through greenland/iceland and if I book it right now it would not be much more for a 14 night cruise (inside) than my 5 night 7a cruise on Disney and the ship looks gorgeous. I bet you will enjoy it!

And I'm not saying that there are no comparable experiences out there to DCL by a long shot - just that if you compare apples to apples, if something is really equivalent but half the price it is very likely on an older ship with some serious downsides... which is fine if you are aware of what you are paying for and that's what your budget is. But I think comparing apples to apples DCL is right in there for similar itineraries and times and nicer/newer/better maintained ships. Any of the special DCL itineraries (which I guess are more regular now and not so special but still) are ridiculously overpriced because you are paying for the DCL service etc but may really be a lot more focused on ports and port excursions. But for a regular bread and butter caribbean cruise, if you're not going on an older/more rundown ship or on a line that does not offer as good service then the pricing is not that different between DCL and comparable lines.

I do just want a dressy cruise for a change so Cunard hopefully fits the bill. Over the years I’ve acquired so many long gowns and cocktail dresses and I want a real opportunity to dress up. I’m very much in the minority I know that but I want to go back in time I suppose.
I think that Cunard is almost unique in offering that now, and I’ve even read a few reviews how even on Cunard they are not as strict in enforcing it as they used to be so I’ll wait and see.
If I then add to that cruise next year with another one it would be based upon an itinerary. I really fancy South America but again I don’t think DCL offers that.
Their itineraries are getting more varied though, so maybe one day!
For Caribbean cruises my go to is DCL hence my two cruises coming up soon.
For Mediterranean cruises DCL is much much more expensive for seven night itineraries than most other cruise lines, and some other cruise lines offer so many activities like rock climbing, skating and masses of stuff for children so we would probably do them if I would be sailing with the grandchildren and also I’d have no alternative because DCL doesn’t even offer any cruise in August in the Med anymore. They reposition the ship to Northern Europe and my family didn’t enjoy that itinerary at all. That was really down to the gloomy weather. Too cold, too windy and too wet. UK kids don’t get long Summer vacation from school. It’s August only really, plus a couple of days in July and a couple in September.

Last edited:
Service standards across the industry are incredibly high. This is enabled as jobs are highly competitive. Example - we did a 3-night (Fri-Mon) weekend cruise on Carnival. I told our room attendant it would not be necessary to service our stateroom during the duration of the trip. On our first full day, we left the room around 2:30PM (I was up almost 24 hours the prior day, getting to work then enjoying the day) and there was our room attendant waiting by the door. Even though he was suppose to go on break at 2PM, and we told him to skip our room, he was terrified it'd go into his file and he wouldn't be offered another contract.

If by "service" you mean "Disney ambiance," that's a completely separate issue. Obviously only Disney can create a Disney experience. If you're traveling in a party of four, itineraries on DCL are frequently 2x - 3x similar itineraries of the competition. Is the Disney ambiance worth it? Obviously that's up to an individual, but people consume every day based upon what they want vs. what they they can afford/ value proposition.
I expected a downgrade of service cruising Princess last year, but the service was impeccable. Every crew member was polite, friendly and helpful. I couldn’t fault them.
I’ll be 100% honest and say that the only thing I didn’t like was the crowded and noisy adult pool area.

My view is a cruise is a luxury vacation no matter what. For us, we are mostly short cruise folks due to work schedules... We'd prefer longer cruises, but you know... at this point it is basically short cruise or nothing, so what can you do.

What does this mean? To me, recognizing a cruise is a luxury vacation no matter what, enjoy it, and do it right for you. For us, it is worth spending the extra money on DCL.... Can drink the soda, affordable alcoholic beverages, great service including turndown, a family-friendly atmosphere (the folks who have issue with Disney not caring about families should really see what happens on RCL or Carnival!), childcare that makes us feel safe, etc. To us, it is worth the extra dollars...

That said, on our cruises we have been able to take advantage of VGT or smart bookings in several instances which priced out close to the competition - especially when looking at comparable rooms.

Yes, there are always cheaper ways to sail, but for us, it is a luxury and we don't want to sail the Margaritaville or the Carnival Elation even if it could potentially mean more often cruise ships.
It’s interesting how perceptions are different no right or wrong, but I don’t really class DCL as a luxury cruiseline really. Definitely different to Carnival or Royal but I suppose luxury could be Seabourn, Regent, and my friends just sailed with Azamara and raved about it.
I haven’t sailed with any of those cruise lines so I can’t comment from first hand experience but I’d be interested to try them.

It’s interesting how perceptions are different no right or wrong, but I don’t really class DCL as a luxury cruiseline really. Definitely different to Carnival or Royal but I suppose luxury could be Seabourn, Regent, and my friends just sailed with Azimara and raved about it.
I haven’t sailed with any of those cruise lines so I can’t comment from first hand experience but I’d be interested to try them.

I have heard the term “Premium” applied to Disney, Celebrity, sometimes Princess or HAL.

(Mass-market lines would be Royal, Carnival, NCL, MSC in the US. P&O for the Brits. And they have the more basic companies, too, like Marella).

Luxury is a whole different ballgame: Regent Seven Seas, Oceania, Azamara.

Somehow, I think Viking and Cunard might get their own tier level. They fall between Premium and Luxury - still affordable to many. But the emphasis on formal might still be there. Almost think “adult,” without the need to make it sensual, like Viking.

My sister is preparing for Cunard in Alaska. Floor length gowns for Masquerade and Glacier Night. So different than our previous Disney and Princess cruises there. Sure, we wore dresses to dinner, but we still do that on most cruises - unless we run back to the ship just in time for dinner. That late night sunset can change how port days go.

🤭 I am probably preaching to the choir. But having fun thinking of the variety.

Disney is definitely a niche market, not quite as small as Paul Gauguin cruises or other most of us wouldn’t recognize.

I have heard the term “Premium” applied to Disney, Celebrity, sometimes Princess or HAL.

(Mass-market lines would be Royal, Carnival, NCL, MSC in the US. P&O for the Brits. And they have the more basic companies, too, like Marella).

Luxury is a whole different ballgame: Regent Seven Seas, Oceania, Azamara.

Somehow, I think Viking and Cunard might get their own tier level. They fall between Premium and Luxury - still affordable to many. But the emphasis on formal might still be there. Almost think “adult,” without the need to make it sensual, like Viking.

My sister is preparing for Cunard in Alaska. Floor length gowns for Masquerade and Glacier Night. So different than our previous Disney and Princess cruises there. Sure, we wore dresses to dinner, but we still do that on most cruises - unless we run back to the ship just in time for dinner. That late night sunset can change how port days go.

🤭 I am probably preaching to the choir. But having fun thinking of the variety.

Disney is definitely a niche market, not quite as small as Paul Gauguin cruises or other most of us wouldn’t recognize.
I loved this post. I’ve just checked Cunard and it’s please dress up after 6pm . Then on Gala Nights it’s get out your best gown lol! Most peoples idea of a nightmare but I can’t wait and now we’ve booked I’m hoping that it will spur me on to dieting lol!
I’m not saying I’d like every cruise to be like that but every evening even on DCL I like to change for dinner into a dress even if it’s just a cotton summer dress.
Azamara I’d never even heard of until the other day and my neighbours were telling me all about it and they said the food was absolutely amazing and felt as if it had been individually prepared rather than a sort of mass catering feel.
I’d love to hear what your sister feels about Cunard and if people really do dress up as is expected.

I'd like to clarify... When I said that a cruise is a luxury, I meant that to mean, for us, taking a vacation as nice as a cruise is a luxury - even on DCL or RCCL, not that DCL is necessarily a luxury cruise line product.

I'd like to clarify... When I said that a cruise is a luxury, I meant that to mean, for us, taking a vacation as nice as a cruise is a luxury - even on DCL or RCCL, not that DCL is necessarily a luxury cruise line product.
Ahh gotcha. Makes sense.

...........And I'm not saying that there are no comparable experiences out there to DCL by a long shot - just that if you compare apples to apples, if something is really equivalent but half the price it is very likely on an older ship with some serious downsides... which is fine if you are aware of what you are paying for and that's what your budget is. But I think comparing apples to apples DCL is right in there for similar itineraries and times and nicer/newer/better maintained ships. Any of the special DCL itineraries (which I guess are more regular now and not so special but still) are ridiculously overpriced because you are paying for the DCL service etc but may really be a lot more focused on ports and port excursions. But for a regular bread and butter caribbean cruise, if you're not going on an older/more rundown ship or on a line that does not offer as good service then the pricing is not that different between DCL and comparable lines.

r.e. bold -- Just a bit confused about the apples to apples and *serious downsides.* Value for dollars spent is our apples to apples

Just did a comparison for our 52nd Anniversary of a 4 Day cruise in June 2025.

DCL Magic Concierge Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah, 304sq.ft. - $8,030 -- launch 1998 - 984 ft length

DCL WISH Concierge Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah, 296sq.ft. - $8,307 -- launch 2022 - 1,119 ft. length

MSC Seashore Yacht Club Royal Suite, 667sq.ft. + Verandah of 335sq.ft. - $6,800 -- launch 2021 - 1,112 ft. length

I agree, in the grand scheme of life, a cruise is a luxury. For much of the world, any vacation is that. Even taking the time to talk about it is, too.

What am I now looking for in a cruise having sailed DCL 20 times?
Different itineraries.
The old fashioned dressing for dinner.
Formal nights, Gala evenings.
Food that is not pre plated before the guests arrive in the dining room.
So I suppose cruising as it was in the beginning.
So I think now after Cunard I’ll try Azamara.
I liked the familiarity of Disney, but in my latter years I want to try other experiences and ports whilst I still can.
I’ll definitely try and avoid poor service, run down old shabby ships full of belly flopping guests!😂😂

What am I now looking for in a cruise having sailed DCL 20 times?
Different itineraries.
The old fashioned dressing for dinner.
Formal nights, Gala evenings.
Food that is not pre plated before the guests arrive in the dining room.
So I suppose cruising as it was in the beginning.
So I think now after Cunard I’ll try Azamara.
I liked the familiarity of Disney, but in my latter years I want to try other experiences and ports whilst I still can.
I’ll definitely try and avoid poor service, run down old shabby ships full of belly flopping guests!😂😂

How about an EXPEDITION Cruise with Viking :confused3 Antarctica sounds cool

*Whilst designated as an Upper Premium brand, Viking has all the hallmarks of a Luxury Ocean Cruise Line. From the tastefully appointed, modern, beautifully designed, Scandinavian ships to the luxurious all-inclusive amenities, Viking are recognized as a Luxury Brand within the industry.*

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/why-viking/the-viking-difference.html

How about an EXPEDITION Cruise with Viking :confused3 Antarctica sounds cool

*Whilst designated as an Upper Premium brand, Viking has all the hallmarks of a Luxury Ocean Cruise Line. From the tastefully appointed, modern, beautifully designed, Scandinavian ships to the luxurious all-inclusive amenities, Viking are recognized as a Luxury Brand within the industry.*

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/why-viking/the-viking-difference.html
I’ve always shied away from cold areas especially now because of my age (70) and achy bones, but I’d happily explore what Viking has to offer although I honestly feel that South America might be a better fit for me if they cover those destinations as I’ve always wanted to explore that area.
Oh there are three cruises that are very appealing. They cover places like Chile, Santiago, and even areas that I’ve already visited like the Panama Canal (which I’ve sailed 3 or 4 times on DCL this cruise stops in Panama City rather than Cartagena which DCL does. I’ve never been there but looked at it in the distance from the ship so that looks tempting. I’m going to check this cruise line out for sure. I see they have a dress code too in the evenings so that’s a plus from me.

Last edited:
I’ve always shied away from cold areas especially now because of my age (70) and achy bones, but I’d happily explore what Viking has to offer although I honestly feel that South America might be a better fit for me if they cover those destinations as I’ve always wanted to explore that area.
Oh there are three cruises that are very appealing. They cover places like Chile, Santiago, and even areas that I’ve already visited like the Panama Canal (which I’ve sailed 3 or 4 times on DCL this cruise stops in Panama City rather than Cartagena which DCL does. I’ve never been there but looked at it in the distance from the ship so that looks tempting. I’m going to check this cruise line out for sure. I see they have a dress code too in the evenings so that’s a plus from me.

DH and I have sailed with Viking (Australia/NZ and Adriatic) and their dress code isn't too significantly different than DCL's although at dinner you won't see t-shirts or shorts but not nearly as dressy as Cunard's. However, it's a lovely line and our favorite although we tend to sail DCL more due to the shorter itineraries (old dogs/mothers). I would love to do a South America or Antarctica, and/or TATL cruise with them...I just need someone to watch the pooches, sigh.

If you have questions about my experiences on Viking, please DM, I'll do my best to answer!:)

We've gone on 10 DCL cruises, including their first South Pacific cruise in 2023 on the Magic from Honolulu to Sydney. Next, we'll be going on an Arctic Expedition Cruise with Swan Hellenic. The 9-day, 8-night cruise will circumnavigate Iceland. The ship is named the SH Diana. It looks gorgeous and only holds 192 passengers. Our price through a special offer of 50% off for a second passenger for a 215 sq. ft. Oceanview Stateroom is $9,270. The price includes the following:

Airport transfers.
An incoming stay at the Courtyard by Marriott.
All meals including 24-hr. room service, coffee tea, soft drinks, and selected alcoholic beverages available 24-hours.
A diverse lecture program.
An extensive shore excursion program.
A branded Swan Hellenic expedition parka.
Use of rubber boots for onshore landings.
Standard Wi-Fi.
All tips and port taxes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

DH and I have sailed with Viking (Australia/NZ and Adriatic) and their dress code isn't too significantly different than DCL's although at dinner you won't see t-shirts or shorts but not nearly as dressy as Cunard's. However, it's a lovely line and our favorite although we tend to sail DCL more due to the shorter itineraries (old dogs/mothers). I would love to do a South America or Antarctica, and/or TATL cruise with them...I just need someone to watch the pooches, sigh.

If you have questions about my experiences on Viking, please DM, I'll do my best to answer!:)
Thank you. I’m definitely interested in the South American region. I do like formal nights as an excuse to get a bit glitzy and I saw that they don’t have those, but it seems a different type of cruise experience completely. What was the food like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter