Disney conducting layoffs

Yea, it's never the people at the top who made bad decisions or bought up some business they don't know how to run effectively. The problem is always the 'lower level' people not working hard enough to implement management's bad choices. When it's time to hand out those big annual bonuses, I can already guess who will still get them.

Last edited:
Having the right last name doesn't make someone any good at business. You need a mix of someone who knows that business isn't a meritocracy, cares about employees at every level, and knows how to not run a business into the ground.

Those people are very rare so instead you do end up with institutions where the boss' kids who know nothing but were "born into the business" run it down while making a personal fortune, or you end up with people who make over a million dollars a year bemoaning the economic downturn which makes them HAVE to do layoffs instead of having any sort of self realization that there majority of their employees aren't making anywhere near that and NO ONE needs to make that much money a year, ugh.

Having the right last name doesn't make someone any good at business. You need a mix of someone who knows that business isn't a meritocracy, cares about employees at every level, and knows how to not run a business into the ground.

Those people are very rare so instead you do end up with institutions where the boss' kids who know nothing but were "born into the business" run it down while making a personal fortune, or you end up with people who make over a million dollars a year bemoaning the economic downturn which makes them HAVE to do layoffs instead of having any sort of self realization that there majority of their employees aren't making anywhere near that and NO ONE needs to make that much money a year, ugh.

You can certainly find people who were pretty good at running business A, but had absolutely no clue how to run business B. Case in point, Elon Musk and Twitter, which he is running into the ground, and it's not really clear why other than maybe he overestimated his abilities and might be able to walk away by defaulting on his loan obligations.

Although this isn't unusual for this current time (other major corporations are doing the same), you think these CEOs and CFOs would have seen the writing on the wall regarding economy. A downturn has been happening for months. I know the parks haven't felt it, but the overall economy is not good and people are really going to feel it come spring/summer.

'But they need to pay a lot to investors and top management! Those are the people that matter!'

I don't believe any of that but I know some people do and will likely say so. I know that good management and strong investment are important but so is good service and the "show" particularly in a customer-driven industry.

For our part, we no longer deal with the Disney Company preferring to enjoy our good memories. I feel for any CMs affected by this.

They’ll get rid of middle management jobs first. Will also cut back on stuff in all of the non-theme parks parts of the various Disney lines of business…ABC, ESPN, consumer products, more IT jobs will be outsourced overseas, etc.

Who are they going to cut? They're having staffing problems already all over the parks and hotels.

That was my first thought too. We were just there in August and "fully booked" restaurants had empty tables because they didn't have enough staff to run at full capacity. I chatted with a few CMs who talked about how crazy it has been trying to keep up "the magic" while chronically short staffed. And the parks are posting excellent attendance and profit margins. Laying off based on an anticipated future recession while ignoring present realities seems like a rather questionable way to run a business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter