Disney Collection 2002- Not all bad

gscott8075

DVC Owner 2001 -2019
According to MS, January went way up.

However, a number of other months went down....

AKL in June was 37 points on a weeknight. My understanding is that DVC members got savannah view rooms.

Now its multi-tiered-

Pool view 31 6 points less
Savannah 33 4 points less
Deluxe pool 40 Sleeps 5
Deluxe sav 41 Sleeps 5
Concierge 50 Did we have this option before?

So, while the readjustment looks generally negative, it looks like there will be opportunities to stay in some DC resorts at some times on fewer points.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope.......Now, where are those ***** charts so we can see for ourselves. ;)

Disney is trying to encourage people to stay at a hotel that nobody wants to stay at. Next they will manipulate points so you can't go to Hawaii or London but can go to somewhere less desirable.

This stinks!!!

Originally posted by sgtpet
Disney is trying to encourage people to stay at a hotel that nobody wants to stay at.

You honestly think that no one wants to stay at AKL? It is a very popular resort at this point.

Because of discounted rates. Don't be so naive. Disney is famous for making the best financial decision it can. They have taken a huge chunk of your money and now they are manipulating to their advantage how you use those points.

I was very close to making a purchase but I have seen the light.

I can thank this board for making me decide to abstain from purchasing into DVC.

sgtpet...actually, I think DVC is very fair in how it allocates points, if you look at the point charts for DVC resorts. When you stay at a DVC resort you maximize your point value. Using points to stay at a non dvc resort has always been more expensive. Because we now love staying in a one bedroom, we would never consider taking a room at a deluxe resort on points. If we wanted to try out the resort, we'd seek out one of the discounted rates..but so far, we have no desire to leave the wonderful accomodations we have at the DVC resorts.

To each his own.

Hey Peggy Sue
We are right with you. We bought to stay at DVC resorts. I can't imagine wanting to stay in a hotel room as opposed to the 1 BR at any DVC. The only thing I looked at when we purchased was the point costs at the DVC resorts.
The only reason I would use points at a WDW hotel would be in a case where I was going to have some points expire and could not use them at DVC .

First of all, as both you and I have agreed on another thread, everything that you are complaining about right now regarding DVC is based on guesswork and speculation of what Disney MIGHT do, regarding points for Disney Collection rooms, and BCV points and points schedules. None of it, as far as I can tell, is actually based on anything that Disney actually HAS done, just what you are speculating that it MIGHT do. That said, I have several comments to make to you.

Regarding your quote:
Disney is trying to encourage people to stay at a hotel that nobody wants to stay at. Next they will manipulate points so you can't go to Hawaii or London but can go to somewhere less desirable.

I have to echo SgtDisney's question immediately after you posted this: Do you *really*, REALLY think that Animal Kingdom Lodge is someplace "that nobody wants to stay at"???? As far as I can tell from reading this board and various other WDW pages every day, AKL is one of the most highly sought out properties in WDW right now, one that we are not even allowed to pool hop to.

In regard to the rest of your quote - hmmmmmm, offering LOWER prices to things that consumers want LESS, while offering HIGHER prices to things that consumers want MORE.... does this ring a bell? It's called capitalism, my friend. Sorry to disappoint you, but we DO live in a capitalistic, supply and demand driven economy. I really don't understand what you're complaining about in that regard. Heck, it SHOULD cost more points to go to Hawaii than it does to go to Iowa (absolutely NO offense intended towards Iowa, but it ain't Hawaii... for that matter, NC isn't even CLOSE to being Hawaii... but I digress), shouldn't it?

Originally posted by sgtpet
Because of discounted rates. Don't be so naive. Disney is famous for making the best financial decision it can. They have taken a huge chunk of your money and now they are manipulating to their advantage how you use those points.

I was very close to making a purchase but I have seen the light.

I can thank this board for making me decide to abstain from purchasing into DVC.

If this is how you feel, then you are correct in your decision to not buy into the DVC. Apparently you feel Disney is out to take advantage of anyone as best they can.

Just to put in my 2 cents here. My original DVC purchase was based on the amount of points needed to stay at the GF for 10 days between Tday and Xmas. Maybe I am not the norm, but I did not purchase into the DVC just to stay at my BWV home. I purchase to stay at WDW. We've been to the GF in 98 & 99, YC in 2000, BWV,CR and DCL already this year, GF next month, BWV for Tday 2001. Granted I have added on seem to have enough points now to do as I please, but I still like the flexibility of the point system. If I want to stay a little longer on a certain trip and string out my pioints, I will hit a DVC resort. Otherwise, I like to bounce around the resorts and enjoy all of WDW. I know that it may not be a good value for the points, but nonetheless, it's the reason I bought the magic! And I don't regret it!

oh, I completely feel the same way as pluto4president!!!!
I love the BWV, but I also love the GF, YC, and Poly!!!
I love the resorts, and everything about them! I also bought into dvc to make it easier to have many trips to my favorite place on earth!!! defiantely not to stay in a villa w/a kitchen, I have that at home!!!!
I want housekeeping, turndown service... the works!!! even when we stay at BWV (which we absolutely LOVE!!!) we pay for housekeeping, and have even gotten turndown service ;)

after all I'm on vacation!!!!
I'm upset about the point increase, but very curious to see where it will be lowered! and I like that now we can book views, and concierge!!!
I'm not going to panic about it til I see the chart!!

Laura :)

Originally posted by princess angel
oh, I completely feel the same way as pluto4president!!!!
I love the BWV, but I also love the GF, YC, and Poly!!!
I love the resorts, and everything about them! I also bought into dvc to make it easier to have many trips to my favorite place on earth!!! defiantely not to stay in a villa w/a kitchen, I have that at home!!!!

I am just curious, and I don't mean sound argumentative, but what would you do if the DVC or Disney decided to eliminate the Disney Collection? They do have that option. This paragraph is from the member guide book and is in regard to the Disney Collection as well as other benefits...

The member benefits described in this Guidebook are made available by DVD as a courtesy to DVC Members, and, in some cases, their guests who have paid no compensation to the DVC members ("Guest," or singularly a "Guest"). Participation in the benefits is completely optional and it is not a feature or component of the ownership interest in any DVC Resort, or of any rights, membership benefits or priveleges which are appurtenant to that interest. The member benefits described in this Guidebook are available for a period of 3 years or less.

I am really just curious if that would be enough for you to actually sell your points off. I am not trying to question your reasoning or why you use the Disney Collection. I am just curious what people would do if Disney did in fact, pull that benefit.

well that was a big "what if" sgt. I can more than likely guess that it would never happen and the points are mine for another 41 years!

Originally posted by sgtdisney

I am just curious, and I don't mean sound argumentative, but what would you do if the DVC or Disney decided to eliminate the Disney Collection? They do have that option. This paragraph is from the member guide book and is in regard to the Disney Collection as well as other benefits...

For me personally, I could care less if they scrapped the whole Disney Collection. I bought my dvc to stay in the dvc resorts, and except for 3 cruises I've only used my points for dvc resorts. When I stay in the other resorts, I pay cash...no big deal, since most of my lodging each year is dvc. I could easily skip the Disney cruise & stick to paying cash for Holland America....and don't even consider using my points for DCL except when they're running a special *deal*.

They could do away with the concierge collection, and the timeshare exchanges also and it would not affect my happiness with my dvc. I really have no desire to use my points in that way, so having that option is not a benefit to me.:)

3 cruises!! sounds like you have used it. Sgtdisney, It was enough for me not to purchase.

This whole thing has nothing to do with II exchanges, it is DC only. The II exchanges is like a week for a week and the point values will stay about the same cause Disney doesn't outlay cash, just rooms for the exchange.

sgtpet, you must not understand the DVC if this is why you wouldn't purchase. The DVC is about the resorts that are listed as DVC resorts and that's it. Everything else is gravy. ANd there is a lot of gravy right now, in the future there might not be so much, but it still doesn't change the DVC program, just the gravy that goes with it right now.

Not for nothing, but this is such a minor change in the scheme of things, I don't understand all of the fuss.

My wife and I just made cash reservations at AKL. I was able to book a savannah room on a Friday and Saturday night in November for only $169/night. This reservation was made through central reservations without using any DVC or Disney Club discounts.

I would be very surprised if I ever use DVC points to stay at a non-DVC Disney resort. It is currently a terrible value proposition.

WH

As a rule, you are right it probably is better to find a discounted rate. But our analysis was based on New Years which as far as I know, they NEVER discount. So say 48 points at NYE, Y or BC, x my cost of $5.50/point = $264.00 compared to $460.65 (Standard room + 11% tax). And what happens when the economy goes back up - you won't see all those discounts anymore(of course DVC will probably raise their points, also!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter