• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney at it's best

tednvon

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am a frequent flyer on these boards and love it....Not sure where to post this story, but it deserves a telling......I work at a large University Hospital as a social worker in Rehab...In just the last few weeks, we had a young man under age 10 who was diagnosed with a severe brain tumor...Make a Wish got involved and the boy said he wanted to go to Disneyworld...the wheels started in motion, but unfortuntely the tumor spread rapidly and the family was told he could not travel....within a few days in walked a full crew of Disney characters in "full dress"....Mickey and the whole crew flew up from Florida to our Peds unit to see this boy....he was in a partial coma, but opened his eyes and cried when he saw the characters...he knew they were there......somewhere in all of the ins and outs and ups and downs at Disney, this grounded me again and what this did for the family and this child cannot be measured in stock or rumors....peace.....Ted

Ted, thanks for sharing this touching story. I think this shows that within this company the heart still beats. Maybe its Eisner, maybe its Walt's ghost but I cannot imagine many companies reacting & rising to an occasion such as this. Way to go Disney!
:cool: :cool: (mia):cool: :cool:

every time I start to think gee....maybe the magic is gone...I read something like this and remember why I LOVE Disney! :D

Of course the down side of this is I then open my wallet and say "take it all"! :D

Thanks so much for sharing such a great story!

This just goes to prove my theory. While some at the top may have forgotten the legacy of Disney, the vasy majority of employees remember and keep the magic alive. Now if only Disney would start promoting from deep within again.

And once again, they have reassured me that my purchase in DVC was the right thing to do because I want to be involved with a company like this who would go the extra mile for this young boy.

While some at the top may have forgotten the legacy of Disney, the vast majority of employees remember and keep the magic alive.
Many who know me on this Board will tell you how disappointed I am in Disney. And they would be right. But they really don't know why. And it's pretty simple. I have seen Disney at their best, first hand! I'm not talking about the 'glory days' vs. the current condition. And I'm not talking about Walt's Philosophy. I'm talking about the 'company', that giant mega-corporation, going miles and miles beyond their obligation or what one would reasonably expect. The employees (Cast Members) certainly know how to do it!! It just amazes me that the higher echelon hasn't got a clue!! I know they can do it if they choose. And just like the above story, I have a story I personally lived.

One day, when I have more time, the boards are running a little faster and I feel like dredging up a nightmare, I'll tell you about a little 2 year old boy with an AVM (Arteriovenous Malformation) who was rushed to the hospital suffering from multiple strokes and brain seizures. I'll tell you how the pixie dust rained down in Old Key West for a week and half. About a guy named Don and a woman named Maryann. About all the middle management types that showered us with every amenity possible, including free trips to the Orlando hospital where the little boy laid in a coma.

So, yes. I will absolutely agree that they do indeed know how to 'do it right'. That's why I love 'em!! I hope to hear more of this type of thing. It makes me smile!!!! :D

Thanks for sharing! I think a good home for this post would be on the Inspiration Board. It is quite an inspiring post -- and I think the regulars there would really appreciate it!
:)

Part of the magic is also shown by the fact that VERY ill children use their one wish to do to WDW. They are suffering terribly in their young lives, but they want to go to Disney.

Some of you have sent PMs to inquire if there was a happy ending to my story. Sorry. I should have included it in my first post. It is indeed happy!! He is now in first grade (slightly behind) but moving forward everyday!!!

Thanks all!!!

Indeed that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

nativetxn, welcome to our little hideaway here on the DIS Boards. Do my eyes deceive me or do you actually have darn near THIRTY THOUSAND posts?

That really touched my heart. It shows you how awesome this company really is. The spirit of Walt is alive and well. Thank you Mickey for enhancing people's lives. That's great!

King Triton

That's a wonderful story. I bet Walt was smiling down from Heaven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter