Disabled first cruise

papadis

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We are thinking of booking and land sea pkg. since this would be our first cruise my ques. is how easy is it to travel around the ship with a wheelchair? Also can we get a table for just two at sit down meals. I have alot of other ques but I will start with these two.

To clarify... which cruise ship and itinerary? The degree of movements can make a difference.

I pushed a transport chair on the Wonder. There was three places of concern.
  • regular cabin doors were too narrow. Had to get mom to walk into the cabin and I folded the chair.
  • the door lip from ship outside to inside can be a challenge
  • midship there's a brass riser/joint that I need to get a running start.

Don't forget to apply the brakes.... if the ship turns.... the chair will MOVE! Don't waste your time telling the captain to slow down.

Which ship?

Book a handicap accessible room.

I've never really had a problem getting around on the ship. Adult DS has regular manual wheelchair, not a transport chair with dinky wheels.

A handicap-accessible room is larger to give the wheelchair user more room to maneuver, and also has a walk in (roll-in) shower.

If you have trouble going over the metal floor seams under all of the water-tight doors, it helps to turn the chair around so the bigger wheels go first.

You can request a table for two but DCL doesn't guarantee you'll get one.

A lot of people do land/sea vacations but most have found that it's cheaper to book each portion separately to get the best deal.

Hi, we just got back from a southern Caribbean on the Magic, and have cruised twice before (Magic and Fantasy) with Mom using a wheelchair. If your person can safely drive a power scooter, I would strongly suggest it. while you can get a wheelchair up and down the aisles of the ship to the cabins (we have done this, and a scooter allows you to deal with the carry-on luggage)), a scooter is narrower and much easier. (our last trip). It gives them greater freedom of movement and You will also benefit by not having to push the person around.

at both the world and on the ship, Mom would drive the scooter into the restaurant, transfer to a chair and they would park the scooter elsewhere. Also since it appears you will be doing a three or four day on the dream, you will want it for castaway key (there are beach wheelchairs once you get to either the family or adult beach). Nassau wasn't really handicap friendly if I remember correctly, and a lot of people stay on board that day as well. One of your big challenges will be the gangways at the ports, which will depend on the tides (they can be rather steep).

A handicap cabin will be much easier to negotiate - bigger, and the bathroom setup is much friendlier. Also while I know you think a table for two is better, you might just find that you would enjoy the company of other guests.

John

Hi, we just got back from a southern Caribbean on the Magic, and have cruised twice before (Magic and Fantasy) with Mom using a wheelchair. If your person can safely drive a power scooter, I would strongly suggest it. while you can get a wheelchair up and down the aisles of the ship to the cabins (we have done this, and a scooter allows you to deal with the carry-on luggage)), a scooter is narrower and much easier. (our last trip). It gives them greater freedom of movement and You will also benefit by not having to push the person around.

at both the world and on the ship, Mom would drive the scooter into the restaurant, transfer to a chair and they would park the scooter elsewhere. Also since it appears you will be doing a three or four day on the dream, you will want it for castaway key (there are beach wheelchairs once you get to either the family or adult beach). Nassau wasn't really handicap friendly if I remember correctly, and a lot of people stay on board that day as well. One of your big challenges will be the gangways at the ports, which will depend on the tides (they can be rather steep).

A handicap cabin will be much easier to negotiate - bigger, and the bathroom setup is much friendlier. Also while I know you think a table for two is better, you might just find that you would enjoy the company of other guests.

John

When we had steep gangways with DMIL's wheel chair, crew members would take her up/down or they'd allow us to use an alternate entrance in the bowels of the ship. It took us through the hallway of the crew's quarters, but that was simpler than trying to navigate the steep gangway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter