• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disabled at Disneyland

SD33

Mouseketeer
Wondering how this works. My friend is a disabled veteran who just found out he needs a knee replacement surgery. He can barely walk right now. His doctor told him no more than a mile a day, and even just standing around leads to extreme pain and need for icing. Never thought, I'd need to ask this question but I'm sure we are going to need a wheelchair for him when we are there in August. How does this all work? Do we a wheelchair it at City Hall? Do we pay for it? Does he need a doctors note? How do we navigate the ride queues with one?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation for all of this but we are pretty ignorant on this one. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Wondering how this works. My friend is a disabled veteran who just found out he needs a knee replacement surgery. He can barely walk right now. His doctor told him no more than a mile a day, and even just standing around leads to extreme pain and need for icing. Never thought, I'd need to ask this question but I'm sure we are going to need a wheelchair for him when we are there in August. How does this all work? Do we a wheelchair it at City Hall? Do we pay for it? Does he need a doctors note? How do we navigate the ride queues with one?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation for all of this but we are pretty ignorant on this one. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Wheelchairs are rented at the stroller rental location which is outside Disneyland’s gates to the right side. I’m not sure the costs, but they are not provided free of charge. Most queues are wheelchair accessible, for queues that are not they will give you a return time to return to the wheelchair accessible entrance. If he rents an ECV some rides will make you transfer to a a regular wheelchair for entry.

DO NOT use a wheel chair. Have your friend rent a scooter.
Pushing a wheelchair through the parks is extremely taxing to the one pushing.

Disney rents them as well as a few places off site.
When I stay onsite I use Deckert's to rent a scooter.
If I'm off site I rent from Select Scooter. they are located right in the lobby of the Best Western Park Place Inn.

Deckert’s for scooter (714) 542-5607

Select Scooter Rental (714) 644-8057

You can rent a chair at the wheelchair rental area by the stroller rental. But I'd advise you try to rent offsite from a place like Deckerts because the walk from parking/hotel can easily come close to the mile. Do you want a wheelchair or a scooter? Wheelchairs are much cheaper, but you do have to push it.

Yes, you pay for it, $12 for WC, $50 for ECV. Deckerts is slightly cheaper, and you can go offsite. No note is needed.

Navigate the ride queues - DCA is accessible. At Disneyland, some rides are accessible, and those that aren't, cast members will direct you. Just ask at the entrance queue. For example, Buzz is accessible. Matterhorn, you get in the regular line, and when you get to the chalet, they will direct you to the HA ramp area, most rides in Fantasyland they will give you a return time to ride (you get the time of the standby line, minus 10 mins) and you return to be queued in the HA line, etc... Every ride is different, just ask at the ride. You can only hold 1 return time at a time. Once you use it, you can get another.

Thank you guys, this is helpful! Another question: What if we leave the parks midday to go back to the hotel to relax? Do we get to have our scooter or wheelchair on hold or do we lose it at that point?

Thank you guys, this is helpful! Another question: What if we leave the parks midday to go back to the hotel to relax? Do we get to have our scooter or wheelchair on hold or do we lose it at that point?
I would rent one so you can take it off site.

I would rent one so you can take it off site.
We are staying at the Hyatt a were planning to uber to and from the parks in the middle of the the day? Can you not leave it with Disney and pick it up again later?

I would highly recommend that you change your motel to one closer to DLR so you can go back and forth on a scooter. My husband did this when we were at DLR in June and it was so easy. Our motel even took care of the scooter rental, charged the scooter each night for us and had it ready each morning. The cost was $40 per day and worth every penny. We stayed at the Castle.

I would highly recommend that you change your motel to one closer to DLR so you can go back and forth on a scooter. My husband did this when we were at DLR in June and it was so easy. Our motel even took care of the scooter rental, charged the scooter each night for us and had it ready each morning. The cost was $40 per day and worth every penny. We stayed at the Castle.
This sounds amazing, but we are Hyatt members and using points to stay for free. It'd be a big cost to us to switch now. We'll do what we have to do for our friend though.

This sounds amazing, but we are Hyatt members and using points to stay for free. It'd be a big cost to us to switch now. We'll do what we have to do for our friend though.
Which Hyatt are you staying at? Are you at Hyatt Place which is in walking distance?

If you can't move to Hyatt Place, then just rent at Disneyland each day. He will need to be able to walk from the drop area to the security tents, then into the rental area. Probably about a 1/4 mile.

Definitely go with the scooter. It will give your friend freedom to move about on his own without taxing him physically.

I totally agree, a scooter is a better idea than a wheelchair. Not at DL, but I pushed my mother in a wheelchair around WDW for a week, and there were more hills and uneven surfaces than I realized! I'm sure DL is exactly the same. You take for granted your ability to walk on different surfaces and inclines...it's a huge shock when you have to push a wheelchair over them!

I totally agree, a scooter is a better idea than a wheelchair. Not at DL, but I pushed my mother in a wheelchair around WDW for a week, and there were more hills and uneven surfaces than I realized! I'm sure DL is exactly the same. You take for granted your ability to walk on different surfaces and inclines...it's a huge shock when you have to push a wheelchair over them!
I found this out pushing a wheelchair in and out of Toontown!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter