DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-iger-addresses-the-troops-after-a-tough-year

Disney CEO Bob Iger addresses the troops after a tough year - Los Angeles Times
by J. Clara Chan
11/28/2023

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Bob Iger at a Tuesday town hall for staff appeared to downplay his earlier comments suggesting he’d be willing to sell off Disney’s linear TV assets, adding that the company’s traditional networks’ “strategic value” remains “pretty significant,” according to people who attended the meeting.

Last summer, Iger told CNBC that the company’s TV networks — which include ABC, FX and Freeform — “may not be core” to Disney’s business, resulting in a flurry of interest from potential buyers. But during the town hall, Iger said he was simply testing the waters with investors.

“Maybe this is a fault of mine, I don’t know, but I often give people the benefit of my own thinking in public, meaning I run things up flag poles to see how they’re going to fly,” Iger said. “It’s just sometimes when I speak out loud or think out loud, I get a reaction right away. In most cases when I do it, I’m trying to get a reaction from the investment community, just to see.”

“When I said that, I meant it, but I did not necessarily believe everybody would run with a story that everything was being sold, which is not the case,” he continued.

Since his comments over the summer, Iger said his time spent reevaluating the company’s business has demonstrated the value of Disney’s trove of networks, particularly for its streaming services.

“The fact that I can either watch a show on ABC in prime time or see it on Hulu the next morning, or four or five or six hours later and serve maybe a completely different audience, that has real strategic value to the company. And there’s a lot of it,” he said. “So no decisions have been made. Really that should not in any way indicate anything that is negative or, or should be of concern.”

Still, Iger remained relatively vague about future plans for the company, even as he was joined by his top brass — parks and consumer products chief Josh D’Amaro, studios head Alan Bergman, TV boss Dana Waldman, and sports chair Jimmy Pitaro — to discuss their respective businesses. No major announcements were shared and Iger did not field questions from employees.

ABC World News Tonight anchor David Muir asked the questions of the executives during the event, which was streamed for employees.

As for his second go at CEO, Iger appeared more humbled, having spent the past year grappling with streaming losses, an underperforming film slate, and low stock price. Iger acknowledged the “myriad challenges” he faced when returning to the company. The company has undergone 8,000 job cuts in an effort to achieve $7.5 billion in cost savings.

“I can tell you that building is a lot more fun than fixing,” Iger said, echoing comments he made during the company’s most recent earnings call with analysts.

When asked about the WGA and SAG-AFTRA contract negotiations, Iger said both unions succeeded in going on strike and had “legitimate” concerns about the impact of artificial intelligence on their careers. WGA ratified its new contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers last month. SAG-AFTRA members are currently voting on their tentative deal with the studios.

“I think both the writers and the actors got very good deals,” Iger said. “And I actually believe that the deals that they ended up negotiating with the studios and the producers are better than what they would have gotten had they not gone on strike. Now, the strikes were painful to the industry, to the state of California with that many people were not working, painful to the companies, painful to the actors and the writers that are on strike. But they got very good deals.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-o...an-2-movie-theater-owners-worried-1235810010/

Nov 28, 2023 6:30am PST
Christmas at the Box Office Hinges on ‘Aquaman 2.’ Movie Theater Owners Are Worried.
by Rebecca Rubin

Every year around Christmas, Phoenix Theatres puts all of its chips on one major tentpole, gambling on a movie so big, so broadly appealing, it’ll keep auditoriums stocked into the new year. In the recent past, the Midwest-based chain has gone all in on 2022’s “Avatar: The Way of Water,” 2021’s “Spider-Man: No Way Home” and 2019’s “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.”

But this holiday season is different. For the first time in more than a decade, excluding the pandemic-stricken 2020, there’s no surefire blockbuster with the potential to gross $1 billion globally to cap off the year.

“You can’t look at the release schedule between now and the end of the year and find one movie that stands out like ‘Avatar’ as the big film,” says Phoenix Theatres owner Cory Jacobson.

Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom,” the follow-up to 2018’s megahit “Aquaman,” should be that big bet. Yet the sequel lands in theaters on Dec. 22 as a massive question mark. Will the Jason Momoa-led comic book adventure recapture the spark of the original? Or will it extend the string of three DC flops, “The Flash,” “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” and “Blue Beetle”? The overwhelming sense of superhero fatigue has even plagued Disney’s once-bulletproof Marvel Cinematic Universe, as evidenced by the misfires of “The Marvels” and “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.”

“The holiday season is on the shoulders of ‘Aquaman,’ and that’s not a good shoulder to put anything on,” says Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “Can it cut through the negative DC noise?”

Movie theater owners, who were walloped by the Hollywood strikes as they were still recovering from the pandemic, have no choice but to accentuate the positive. “With one big film, you must stock a lot of show times to meet demands. If it doesn’t work out, you end up with a lot of empty show times,” Phoenix Theatres VP Jordan Hohman says. “With a more diverse slate of films, we can spread our bets.”

For this year’s holiday stretch, the gambles include “Wonka,” with Timothée Chalamet as the titular chocolatier (Dec. 15); Universal and Illumination’s animated comedy “Migration” (Dec. 22); A24’s sports drama “The Iron Claw,” starring Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White (also Dec. 22); and the musical adaptation “The Color Purple” (Dec. 25).
Hohman is encouraged by the number of kid-friendly movies. “That certainly helps our popcorn sales,” he says. “And these family films are under two hours. It creates turnover and puts more customers in the building.”

But unless there’s a runaway success in the mix, these films won’t offset the absence of a billion-dollar tentpole.

“It’s probably not going to be the most spectacular Christmas season,” predicts Jim Orr, Universal’s president of domestic theatrical distribution. “It may give other movies room to overperform.”

It would be a disappointing coda for the movie theater business, especially in a year that fielded “Barbenheimer” and the unexpected gift of Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour.” At this point, box office revenues have hit $8 billion, which is 22% ahead of 2022 but 17% behind 2019, according to Comscore.

“With the strikes, it would have been hard to do much to change this,” says Adam Fogelson, Lionsgate Motion Picture Group vice chair. Production has started to return, but he expects the release calendar to remain fluid as studios figure out which strike-impaired projects will make it to the finish line on time. “In the short run, there will be some awkward and odd bumps.”

What’s worse: Without a four-quadrant title — the rare movie that appeals to men and women, young and old — theaters may be left in the lurch until “Dune: Part Two” opens in March. That’s because eventual big-screen behemoths like “Avatar” and “Spider-Man” didn’t just pop in December, they kept playing in theaters for weeks and ended up earning some serious coin in the following year. “The Way of Water,” for example, was released in 2022 but stands as the seventh-highest-grossing domestic release of 2023 with $283 million.

Jeff Logan, the owner of Logan Luxury Theatres, jokes that needing to show the same film for weeks to fill demand isn’t an issue in South Dakota, where his multiplexes are located. “In smaller towns, you’ve run out of people to see a movie after it’s playing in theaters for a few weeks.”

He adds, “We just wish there were more movies in the mix.”

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” could certainly surprise. The first film opened to an unspectacular $67 million but eventually grossed a staggering $335 million in North America and $1.15 billion globally. But the very idea that the sequel isn’t a guaranteed smash is indicative of larger concerns in Hollywood.

“We’re seeing the collapse of these major franchises,” says Bock. “This year has proven that audiences do want original things. Hollywood can’t just put a roman numeral on things.”

If “Aquaman 2” misses the mark, it’ll join “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,” “Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One” and a slew of other sequels, spinoffs and reboots that appeared to be guaranteed winners, only to wildly miss box office expectations. Theater owners like Logan believe that studios may be running a good thing into the ground.

“Studios have IP, and they think it’s a golden ticket. But it’s oversaturated. We’ve seen it all before … multiple times,” Logan says. “These things aren’t events anymore. They aren’t rare. It’s just this month’s superhero movie.
Ugh. More of this Rebecca Rubin garbage, trying to make Aquaman 2 look bad. She needs to be fired from Variety.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/disney-ceo-step-down-end-2026-2023-11-29/

Disney CEO Bob Iger to step down at the end of 2026
Reuters
November 29, 2023 - 2:08 PM CSTUpdated 5 min ago

Nov 29 (Reuters) - Walt Disney (DIS.N) Chief Executive Bob Iger said on Wednesday he "will definitely step down" at the end of 2026.

Iger returned to Disney as CEO in November 2022, less than a year after he retired, vowing to stay for two more years to restore the business while seeking a more durable replacement after the company pushed out Bob Chapek, Iger's hand-picked successor.

Disney's ABC News unit is not up for sale, Iger also said at the Dealbook conference on Wednesday, after a year of restructuring efforts as the conglomerate dealt with a shift in focus towards streaming in the media industry.

Disney faces challenges in the streaming video business as it continues to lose money and Iger said in a town hall meeting on Tuesday that the company is poised to begin building the business again.

Reporting by Zaheer Kachwala in Bengaluru and Lisa Richwine in Los Angeles; Editing by Maju Samuel

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/disney-s-iger-is-no-longer-considering-sale-of-tv-networks-1.2005083

Disney’s Iger Is No Longer Considering Sale of TV Networks
Thomas Buckley, Bloomberg News
11/29/23

(Bloomberg) -- Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said he’s no longer considering selling the company’s traditional TV channels, like ABC and FX, reversing comments he made earlier this year.

Iger spoke Wednesday at the New York Times DealBook Summit in New York.

The executive, who returned to run the company a year ago following the dismissal of his successor Bob Chapek, had floated the idea of a sale in July. In an interview with CNBC, Iger said such channels may no longer be essential to the company.

“My thought at the time was that I would be public with that thought process, and I went as far as saying they might not be core to the company,” Iger said Wednesday. “I did not want to be accused of being an old media executive,” and not open to selling legacy media assets.

Disney has received interest in the channels, but executives such as TV chief Dana Walden argued as recently as Tuesday at an employee event that networks like ABC and the Hulu streaming service can work together to create a wider audience.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/bob-iger-disney-ads-x-ron-desantis-china-1235642738/

Disney’s Bob Iger On Pulling Ads From X, Suing Ron DeSantis & Feeling “Somewhat Sobered” On Prospects In China
By Jill Goldsmith
Co-Business Editor
November 29, 2023 12:27pm PST

Bob Iger said hasn’t addressed when Disney will start advertising on X, formerly Twitter, again since he made the decision to pull back from the social media platform after owner Elon Musk amplified an antisemitic post.

“I have a lot of respect for Elon and what he’s accomplished. Not just you know, one business, but a few businesses. And we know Elon is larger than life in many respects, and that his name is very much tied to the companies he either founded or he owns, whether it’s Tesla or SpaceX, or now X. And by him taking the position that he took in quite a public manner, we just felt that the association with that position and Elon Musk and X was not necessarily a positive one for us. And we decided we would pull our advertising,” Iger said at the DealBook conference today during a Q&A.
Disney along with Comcast/NBCUniversal, Paramount Global, Warner Bros Discovery, Apple, Lionsgate and others pulled ads from X earlier this month. Musk endorsed an X/Twitter post in which a user wrote, “Jewish communities have been pushing the exact kind of dialectical hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” The post pushed the “great replacement theory,” or the claim that Jewish people want to bring non-white undocumented people into western countries to reduce the influence of whites. The convicted killer in the Tree of Life synagogue shootings had embraced that theory.

Iger said Disney entities from ABC News to ESPN are allowed to use X as a platform to communicate, but that’s it. Asked if he’s decided how long the ban would last, he said, “I haven’t. I haven’t really addressed it since the decision was made.”

The wide-ranging conversation also touched on the company’s battle with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and more sobering prospects for business in China going forward – for Disney and corporate America in general given the strained relations between the two countries.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/disney-linear-tv-networks-not-for-sale-ceo-bob-iger-1235642826/

Disney Linear TV Networks “Not For Sale,” CEO Bob Iger Confirms, Citing “Unbelievably Rigorous” Internal Review Of Their Strategic Value

By Dade Hayes - Business Editor November 29, 2023 12:32pm PST

Shifting away from sentiments he expressed in an interview last summer that Disney‘s linear TV networks “may not be core” to the company, Disney CEO Bob Iger said they are “not for sale.”

Speaking at the New York Times DealBook Summit, Iger said his interview last July with CNBC never was intended to affix a “for sale” sign to ABC, local stations and other linear networks. Media coverage of his comments, he maintained, conveyed a more extreme version of the company’s strategic plans than what he intended, which was a trial balloon aimed at Wall Street.

“The business model that those linear channels rested on and have succeeded on top of for decades” has been one of the strategic challenges during the past year since he rejoined the company as CEO, Iger said.

“Sometimes, when I am looking for a reaction to my own thought process, I like to test that process in public, particularly in ways that I might be able to get a reaction from the investment community,” he said. “So, my thought was at the time that I would essentially be public with that thought process.”

Floating the scenario “was a means of my saying to Wall Street or the investment community that our heads were not in the sand about the challenges those businesses were having,” Iger said. “I did not want to get accused of being kind of an old media executive. Our company had already shown the ability to basically adapt to new circumstances. So, 1) I wanted to convey that and 2) see what the reaction would be. .. I did not say they were for sale. The coverage of what I said said they were for sale.”

The portfolio of linear assets are “not for sale,” Iger said. “Like all of our assets, we are constantly evaluating what is their value to the company today? What could their value be tomorrow? Is it a growth business?”

Moderator Andrew Ross Sorkin asked the Disney chief whether he still thinks linear TV is a good business. Iger said an internal evaluation of linear “has been unbelievably rigorous at the company and involves a number of executives who are managing those businesses We’ve determined a few things — 1) that they can be run more efficiently, with some difficult choices. … Second, they can be run in partnership with [streaming]. .. They’re a means of aggregating audience and amortizing costs, of basically reaching more and different people. .. Through this process of being more public about what might happen or what could happen and really rolling up sleeves to see, is this something we should do? Should they be divested? Should they be kept? If they are kept, how should they be run? They’re being run more efficiently today than in July, when I made those comments.”

Iger’s comments sparked interest from prospective buyers like Byron Allen, who has proposed taking over ABC, local stations and the FX network. Nexstar Media Group also discussed the stations and ABC. The spotlight on linear TV grew harsher in early September when Disney and Charter Communications had a carriage dispute. After a 10-day blackout on Charter’s Spectrum cable systems, the second-biggest in the country, the companies agreed to a resolution but it was one that left Freeform, FXX and other linear networks without carriage on Spectrum.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...2026-succession-process-robust-205721866.html

Disney CEO Bob Iger will 'definitely' step down in 2026; succession process 'robust'
Alexandra Canal · Senior Reporter
Wed, November 29, 2023 at 2:57 PM CST

Disney (DIS) CEO Bob Iger said the company is hard at work to find his replacement.

While speaking at The New York Times' DealBook Summit on Wednesday, the executive confirmed the succession
process "is robust right now," adding he will "definitely" retire at the end of his contact in 2026.

He also said management has been working hard to avoid another Bob Chapek fiasco.

"I was disappointed in what I was seeing in the transition period and while I was out," Iger said about his former hand-picked successor, who stepped down from the position after less than three years on the job.

Chapek's tenure was riddled in controversy — from political battles and A-list talent problems to controversial reorganizations and the ever-looming shadow of Iger, who spoke out against some of Chapek's decisions even prior to his return.

"I worked hard at distancing myself from it," the executive continued.

He also hinted at the multitude of changes he's made since stepping back into the CEO role last year.

Some include new revenue streams like the ad-supported tier for its streaming service Disney+, in addition to price increases across its streaming services and parks businesses.

He's also committed to slashing $7.5 billion worth of costs by the end of this year after, following the lay off of 7,000 employees, and will buy the remaining equity stake in Hulu from Comcast. Meanwhile, he's consistently reiterated sports network ESPN will debut as a fully direct-to-consumer streaming service within the next few years.

But one thing Iger seems to be walking back on is the potential for sales of traditional assets.

Earlier this summer, he had said the company would take an "expansive" look at the entertainment giant's old-school TV assets, signaling they could potentially be sold.

Wednesday, however, Iger said legacy assets are not for sale — similar to the message he preached at a company town hall the day prior. Still, the company is "constantly evaluating" their fit within the overall business, he said.

In addition to the future of linear assets, Iger once again doubled down on his quality over quantity strategy when it comes to the future of Disney's content.

The executive said it was a "definite mistake" to increase Marvel output on streaming. His comments come on the heels of multiple box office bombs with "The Marvels" recently drawing the worst debut in MCU franchise history.

Iger noted the bar has been "raised" when it comes to which movies consumers choose to see in theaters amid the streaming boom.

Still, despite all of his changes, Iger hasn't had an easy road. Since taking over, Disney's stock has hit multiyear lows while activist investor Nelson Peltz launched yet another fight against the media giant. This time, he's pushing for multiple board seats.

Iger joked on Wednesday he'd welcome Peltz to the board, telling the crowd: "Help us make sequels!"

Outside of activist battles, the political firestorms haven't stopped, either, with Disney and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis still locked in multiple state and federal lawsuits. The media giant accused the governor of "ongoing constitutional mutiny" in a court filing at the end of October.

Iger said Wednesday there were efforts through intermediaries to speak with DeSantis, but that those efforts ultimately failed.

Meanwhile, Disney stock, which traded flat on the heels of Iger's comments, has risen about 6% since the start of the year — massively underperforming the S&P's (^GSPC) 18% gain over that same time period.

Iger, simply put, has a lot of work ahead of him before he steps down.

The Walt Disney Company Board Appoints Morgan Stanley’s James P. Gorman and Veteran Media Executive Sir Jeremy Darroch as New Directors

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) Board of Directors has appointed James P. Gorman, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Morgan Stanley, and Sir Jeremy Darroch, a veteran media executive and former Group Chief Executive of Sky, as new directors. Darroch’s appointment is effective January 9, 2024, and Gorman’s is effective February 5, 2024.

The selection of Gorman, a deeply respected leader at one of the world’s preeminent global financial institutions, and Darroch, an accomplished chief executive and financial leader with significant experience in the international media and consumer products sectors, follows a lengthy and comprehensive search that began in April 2023. Their appointments reflect Disney’s commitment to a strong board focused on the long-term performance of the company, strategic growth initiatives, the succession planning process, and increasing shareholder value.

“James and Jeremy are both widely respected leaders in their industries, and their expertise will complement the talents and experience of the Disney board as we continue to focus on delivering for consumers and shareholders alike,” said Mark G. Parker, Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “In the 14 years that James has been CEO of Morgan Stanley, he has overseen a strategic transformation of the institution and delivered significant shareholder value, and was integral to Morgan Stanley’s well-managed succession process over the past year,” Parker said. “Jeremy brings extensive leadership in the international media business, and during his tenure at Sky, he led Sky’s successful transition from a linear satellite broadcaster to one of Europe’s largest multi-platform TV providers.”

“Disney stands apart, both in its creative excellence and its deep connection with consumers,” said Gorman. “It is an incredible opportunity to join this accomplished board of directors, and to lend my experience and perspective as the company implements its strategic vision to build for the future.”

“I am thrilled to join the board of directors of one of the most beloved brands in the world at such a pivotal moment for the company,” said Darroch. “I look forward to working closely with my fellow board members to advise Disney’s executive leadership on the implementation of their strategic priorities designed to drive sustained growth and create long-term shareholder value.”

Gorman and Darroch will be included in the company’s slate of director nominees in the proxy statement for Disney’s 2024 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. Disney board member Francis A. deSouza has decided not to stand for reelection at the annual meeting, as he pursues new opportunities in the technology sector that will require his full attention.

“I’m immensely proud to have had the opportunity to serve such an important and cherished institution alongside this group of esteemed board members,” deSouza said. “I have enormous admiration and affection for the company and its leaders and Cast Members, and I look forward to cheering on every future success as a lifelong Disney fan as I step down to pursue my next career endeavors.”

“We are grateful to Francis for his years of service on the Disney board, and understand his desire not to stand for reelection in the spring as he pursues his next venture,” said Parker. “He has provided invaluable guidance during his tenure, and we wish him the very best.”

Disney’s directors bring significant expertise in implementing strategic priorities while growing shareholder value across a spectrum of varied businesses. Along with Parker, Executive Chairman of NIKE, Inc., and deSouza, former President and Chief Executive Officer of Illumina, Inc., Disney’s board includes Mary T. Barra, Chair and Chief Executive Officer of General Motors Co.; Safra A. Catz, Chief Executive Officer of Oracle Corp.; Amy L. Chang, former senior executive at Cisco and Google and a current director of Procter & Gamble; Carolyn N. Everson, former senior executive at Instacart, Meta and Microsoft and a current director of The Coca-Cola Co. and Under Armour Inc.; Michael B.G. Froman, President of the Council on Foreign Relations and former Vice Chairman and President, Strategic Growth at Mastercard Inc.; Robert A. Iger, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company; Maria Elena Lagomasino, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner of WE Family Offices and a former senior executive at JP Morgan Private Bank and Chase Manhattan Bank; Calvin R. McDonald, Chief Executive Officer of lululemon athletica inc.; and Derica W. Rice, a former senior executive at CVS Health and Eli Lilly and a current director of The Carlyle Group Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., and Target Corp. The addition of Gorman and Darroch will temporarily increase Disney’s board to 13 members.

James P. Gorman Background

James-Gorman-Headshot-614x591.png

James Gorman became Chief Executive Officer of Morgan Stanley in January 2010 and Chairman in January 2012, and he will assume the role of Executive Chairman on January 1, 2024. He joined the firm in February 2006 and was named Co-President in December 2007. Before joining Morgan Stanley, Gorman held executive positions at Merrill Lynch. As CEO and Chairman of Morgan Stanley, Gorman has an established record driving strategic transformation of a global financial institution with a long-term sustainable business model. Gorman has successfully executed innovative technological strategies leading the acquisition and integration of online trading platform E-Trade, and will provide key perspectives as Disney leverages technology to advance its strategy. Through his roles at Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, and as former President of the Federal Advisory Council to the U.S. Federal Reserve Board, Gorman also brings deep finance management, investment and fiduciary expertise evaluating businesses. Gorman earned a bachelor’s degree and law degree from the University of Melbourne and an M.B.A. from Columbia University.

Sir Jeremy Darroch Background

Screenshot-2023-11-29-at-4.07.04-PM-614x471.png

Sir Jeremy Darroch is the former Executive Chairman and Group Chief Executive of Sky. He joined Sky as Chief Financial Officer in 2004 and was promoted to Group Chief Executive in 2007, and served as Executive Chairman in 2021. As Group Chief Executive of Sky, Darroch led the company’s tremendous growth and transformation from a linear satellite broadcaster into one of Europe’s largest multi-platform TV providers. His experience will lend valuable insights to Disney’s board and management in navigating the strategic expansion of DTC offerings and changing media and entertainment landscapes, as well as perspectives on creative content investment and brand evolution. As the former CFO of Sky, Darroch also has extensive expertise in finance, accounting and risk management. He is a director and the pending Chairman of Reckitt Benckiser Group plc. Darroch was knighted by King Charles III in June. He holds a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Hull.

The Walt Disney Company Board Appoints Morgan Stanley’s James P. Gorman and Veteran Media Executive Sir Jeremy Darroch as New Directors

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) Board of Directors has appointed James P. Gorman, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Morgan Stanley, and Sir Jeremy Darroch, a veteran media executive and former Group Chief Executive of Sky, as new directors. Darroch’s appointment is effective January 9, 2024, and Gorman’s is effective February 5, 2024.

The selection of Gorman, a deeply respected leader at one of the world’s preeminent global financial institutions, and Darroch, an accomplished chief executive and financial leader with significant experience in the international media and consumer products sectors, follows a lengthy and comprehensive search that began in April 2023. Their appointments reflect Disney’s commitment to a strong board focused on the long-term performance of the company, strategic growth initiatives, the succession planning process, and increasing shareholder value.

“James and Jeremy are both widely respected leaders in their industries, and their expertise will complement the talents and experience of the Disney board as we continue to focus on delivering for consumers and shareholders alike,” said Mark G. Parker, Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “In the 14 years that James has been CEO of Morgan Stanley, he has overseen a strategic transformation of the institution and delivered significant shareholder value, and was integral to Morgan Stanley’s well-managed succession process over the past year,” Parker said. “Jeremy brings extensive leadership in the international media business, and during his tenure at Sky, he led Sky’s successful transition from a linear satellite broadcaster to one of Europe’s largest multi-platform TV providers.”

“Disney stands apart, both in its creative excellence and its deep connection with consumers,” said Gorman. “It is an incredible opportunity to join this accomplished board of directors, and to lend my experience and perspective as the company implements its strategic vision to build for the future.”

“I am thrilled to join the board of directors of one of the most beloved brands in the world at such a pivotal moment for the company,” said Darroch. “I look forward to working closely with my fellow board members to advise Disney’s executive leadership on the implementation of their strategic priorities designed to drive sustained growth and create long-term shareholder value.”

Gorman and Darroch will be included in the company’s slate of director nominees in the proxy statement for Disney’s 2024 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. Disney board member Francis A. deSouza has decided not to stand for reelection at the annual meeting, as he pursues new opportunities in the technology sector that will require his full attention.

“I’m immensely proud to have had the opportunity to serve such an important and cherished institution alongside this group of esteemed board members,” deSouza said. “I have enormous admiration and affection for the company and its leaders and Cast Members, and I look forward to cheering on every future success as a lifelong Disney fan as I step down to pursue my next career endeavors.”

“We are grateful to Francis for his years of service on the Disney board, and understand his desire not to stand for reelection in the spring as he pursues his next venture,” said Parker. “He has provided invaluable guidance during his tenure, and we wish him the very best.”

Disney’s directors bring significant expertise in implementing strategic priorities while growing shareholder value across a spectrum of varied businesses. Along with Parker, Executive Chairman of NIKE, Inc., and deSouza, former President and Chief Executive Officer of Illumina, Inc., Disney’s board includes Mary T. Barra, Chair and Chief Executive Officer of General Motors Co.; Safra A. Catz, Chief Executive Officer of Oracle Corp.; Amy L. Chang, former senior executive at Cisco and Google and a current director of Procter & Gamble; Carolyn N. Everson, former senior executive at Instacart, Meta and Microsoft and a current director of The Coca-Cola Co. and Under Armour Inc.; Michael B.G. Froman, President of the Council on Foreign Relations and former Vice Chairman and President, Strategic Growth at Mastercard Inc.; Robert A. Iger, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company; Maria Elena Lagomasino, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner of WE Family Offices and a former senior executive at JP Morgan Private Bank and Chase Manhattan Bank; Calvin R. McDonald, Chief Executive Officer of lululemon athletica inc.; and Derica W. Rice, a former senior executive at CVS Health and Eli Lilly and a current director of The Carlyle Group Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., and Target Corp. The addition of Gorman and Darroch will temporarily increase Disney’s board to 13 members.

James P. Gorman Background

James-Gorman-Headshot-614x591.png

James Gorman became Chief Executive Officer of Morgan Stanley in January 2010 and Chairman in January 2012, and he will assume the role of Executive Chairman on January 1, 2024. He joined the firm in February 2006 and was named Co-President in December 2007. Before joining Morgan Stanley, Gorman held executive positions at Merrill Lynch. As CEO and Chairman of Morgan Stanley, Gorman has an established record driving strategic transformation of a global financial institution with a long-term sustainable business model. Gorman has successfully executed innovative technological strategies leading the acquisition and integration of online trading platform E-Trade, and will provide key perspectives as Disney leverages technology to advance its strategy. Through his roles at Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, and as former President of the Federal Advisory Council to the U.S. Federal Reserve Board, Gorman also brings deep finance management, investment and fiduciary expertise evaluating businesses. Gorman earned a bachelor’s degree and law degree from the University of Melbourne and an M.B.A. from Columbia University.

Sir Jeremy Darroch Background

Screenshot-2023-11-29-at-4.07.04-PM-614x471.png

Sir Jeremy Darroch is the former Executive Chairman and Group Chief Executive of Sky. He joined Sky as Chief Financial Officer in 2004 and was promoted to Group Chief Executive in 2007, and served as Executive Chairman in 2021. As Group Chief Executive of Sky, Darroch led the company’s tremendous growth and transformation from a linear satellite broadcaster into one of Europe’s largest multi-platform TV providers. His experience will lend valuable insights to Disney’s board and management in navigating the strategic expansion of DTC offerings and changing media and entertainment landscapes, as well as perspectives on creative content investment and brand evolution. As the former CFO of Sky, Darroch also has extensive expertise in finance, accounting and risk management. He is a director and the pending Chairman of Reckitt Benckiser Group plc. Darroch was knighted by King Charles III in June. He holds a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Hull.
What do you think will happen to Disney once these two come on board?

They’re a means of aggregating audience and amortizing costs, of basically reaching more and different people.
This is basically what Barry Diller had suggested a few months ago.

And, am i mis-remebering things or does that sound a bit like one of the tings that got Bob 2.0 in trouble, pushing streaming costs off to linear? JK, I'm sure Bob 3.0 will do it right.

Jeremy was at typical CEO at Sky who constantly raised prices and cut back the offering.
Why couldnt he have been like all those other CEO’s who are constantly lowering prices AND offering more than a person can handle. What a jerk.

This is basically what Barry Diller had suggested a few months ago.

And, am i mis-remebering things or does that sound a bit like one of the tings that got Bob 2.0 in trouble, pushing streaming costs off to linear? JK, I'm sure Bob 3.0 will do it right.
Probably. But Christine McCarthy is no longer the DIS CFO, and is unable to blow the whistle. Iger saw to that, didn't he? Seems someone, somewhere forecast that may happen. Something about GAAP or some such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest