DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

I would so love to see those!!!
The first year of Spin and Marty are on Disney+. I really enjoyed watching those. IIRC, season 2 and 3 were on the Disney Channel back in the 80s or 90s, and you can find bootleg DVDs on the internet. Even though it was designed for "kids," wife and I found them enjoyable.

This thread has triggered my inner OCD, and made me drag out all my Disney history books. From Saving Disney: The Story of Roy E. Disney, by William Sylvester (2015), Roy's 3/3/2004 remarks at the DIS shareholder meeting are just as relevant today as 20 years ago:

"The Walt Disney Company is more than just a business. It is an authentic American icon - which is to say that over the years it has come to stand for something real and meaningful and worthwhile to millions of people of all ages and backgrounds around the world."

"I believe our mission has always been to be bringers of joy, to be affirmers of the good in each of us, to be - in subtle ways - teachers. To speak, as Walt once put it, "not to children but to the child in each of us."

"We do this through great storytelling, by giving our guests a few hours in another world where their cares can be momentarily put aside, by creating memories that will remain with them forever."

"This is the core of what we've come to call "Disney," and to my mind, our single biggest need is to get back to that core."

"In my view, the essence of who we are lies in the business of film - especially animation - and the stories, characters, music, and humor that well-made films generate. This is the engine that drives the train, and everything we do as a company basically flows from it."

"My Dad was quoted once as saying, "It's easy to make decisions, once you know what your values are." Unfortunately, our corporate values have been compromised in recent years."

"In large part, this is the result of a cynical management's belief that, in the absence of ideas, the road to success is to cut back on everyone and everything that once made you successful, that you don't really need to give your guests value for money, that creativity and originality are luxuries you can no longer afford...that art and artists are commodities to be bought and sold like any other office supply."

"How did the Disney Company create enormous shareholder value in the past? Two ways: first by trusting the talents and imagination of its creative people - and then by supporting them with the resources they required."

"I don't care what current management may tell you. The plain fact is, you can't fool all the people all the time. Nor can you succeed in our business by trying to get by on the cheap. Consumers know when they are getting value for their money, and they know when you're trying to sell them second-hand goods."

This was the meeting that "fired" Michael Eisner, as the vote was 43% to withhold his name from the board of directors. 72% of the cast members voted to withhold. Roy got a standing ovation after his speech.

Full text here:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1001039/000089534504000132/drpx14a6g-disney_disney.txt

This thread has triggered my inner OCD, and made me drag out all my Disney history books. From Saving Disney: The Story of Roy E. Disney, by William Sylvester (2015), Roy's 3/3/2004 remarks at the DIS shareholder meeting are just as relevant today as 20 years ago:

"The Walt Disney Company is more than just a business. It is an authentic American icon - which is to say that over the years it has come to stand for something real and meaningful and worthwhile to millions of people of all ages and backgrounds around the world."

"I believe our mission has always been to be bringers of joy, to be affirmers of the good in each of us, to be - in subtle ways - teachers. To speak, as Walt once put it, "not to children but to the child in each of us."

"We do this through great storytelling, by giving our guests a few hours in another world where their cares can be momentarily put aside, by creating memories that will remain with them forever."

"This is the core of what we've come to call "Disney," and to my mind, our single biggest need is to get back to that core."

"In my view, the essence of who we are lies in the business of film - especially animation - and the stories, characters, music, and humor that well-made films generate. This is the engine that drives the train, and everything we do as a company basically flows from it."

"My Dad was quoted once as saying, "It's easy to make decisions, once you know what your values are." Unfortunately, our corporate values have been compromised in recent years."

"In large part, this is the result of a cynical management's belief that, in the absence of ideas, the road to success is to cut back on everyone and everything that once made you successful, that you don't really need to give your guests value for money, that creativity and originality are luxuries you can no longer afford...that art and artists are commodities to be bought and sold like any other office supply."

"How did the Disney Company create enormous shareholder value in the past? Two ways: first by trusting the talents and imagination of its creative people - and then by supporting them with the resources they required."

"I don't care what current management may tell you. The plain fact is, you can't fool all the people all the time. Nor can you succeed in our business by trying to get by on the cheap. Consumers know when they are getting value for their money, and they know when you're trying to sell them second-hand goods."

This was the meeting that "fired" Michael Eisner, as the vote was 43% to withhold his name from the board of directors. 72% of the cast members voted to withhold. Roy got a standing ovation after his speech.

Full text here:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1001039/000089534504000132/drpx14a6g-disney_disney.txt
I did always find Eisner, and Roy's relationship interesting. Roy ended up hating the man who ultimately saved the company, and Eisner to a fault never took Roy seriously, and treated him like a nuisance. I know it's been talked about a lot, but I still wonder what would have transpired if Frank Wells didn't die

I did always find Eisner, and Roy's relationship interesting. Roy ended up hating the man who ultimately saved the company, and Eisner to a fault never took Roy seriously, and treated him like a nuisance. I know it's been talked about a lot, but I still wonder what would have transpired if Frank Wells didn't die
Indeed. Two things to keep in mind. Wells acted as a "governor" on Eisiner's impulses and served as a mediator whenever a subordinate wanted to negotiate an issue with Eisner. Also, Wells DID NOT report to Eisner. He answered to the board.

I also found interesting how Eisner bollixed up the Pixar deal. Steve Jobs didn't trust Eisner, said he wouldn't keep is word. Result: No Pixar movies for a while. To his credit, the first thing Iger did was repair the relationship with Pixar/Jobs, resulting in a pile of money for Disney.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Pixar#Disney

"Disagreements between Steve Jobs and then Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner made the negotiations more difficult than they otherwise might have been. They broke down completely in mid-2004, with Jobs declaring that Pixar was actively seeking partners other than Disney. Pixar did not enter negotiations with other distributors. After a lengthy hiatus, negotiations between the two companies resumed following the departure of Eisner from Disney in September 2005."

Indeed. Two things to keep in mind. Wells acted as a "governor" on Eisiner's impulses and served as a mediator whenever a subordinate wanted to negotiate an issue with Eisner. Also, Wells DID NOT report to Eisner. He answered to the board.
That is why the whole down fall of Eisner is so strange. Wells was the money guy while Eisner was the content guy (kind of like Roy to Walt). Eisner early on re invigorated the animated studios and invested in the Parks. When Wells died, it was like Eisner took over his persona in that he started drastically cutting back on everything. The animated studio were gutted and parks were negligented to the point they were in dire need of renovation. Eisner's legacy is so tough to talk about, in some ways he saved Disney early on when it had lost it's Way. Yet in the end he was responsible for it falling into such bad shape the company came very close to a hostile buyout by Comcast.

That is why the whole down fall of Eisner is so strange. Wells was the money guy while Eisner was the content guy (kind of like Roy to Walt). Eisner early on re invigorated the animated studios and invested in the Parks. When Wells died, it was like Eisner took over his persona in that he started drastically cutting back on everything. The animated studio were gutted and parks were negligented to the point they were in dire need of renovation. Eisner's legacy is so tough to talk about, in some ways he saved Disney early on when it had lost it's Way. Yet in the end he was responsible for it falling into such bad shape the company came very close to a hostile buyout by Comcast.
I've read history books and bios all my life. One thing I've learned is that no one book is the complete story of an event or a person. You have to get as much data as you can from as many viewpoints as possible. I've read like four books on the Eisner era, and to be fair to the guy, my next reading project is his auto bio Work in Progress. I think I'll take that one and Dick Nunis' new book with me on our October visit.

Full text here:

Thanks for doing the research wabbott!!

I swear we have seen some of those (almost) exact statements on these very boards over the years...Roy are you out there?

I see it differently, Eisner was a big expansion guy, Euro Disney and such. I would say that Eisner at the beginning wanted to get rid of animation, and Roy essentially "saved" it, even though they were downsized, and moved out of their building. Katzenberg in my opinion is the biggest reason Disney's animation came out of the pit. When Eisner left, i wouldn't say the company was in dire need of anything, they were still doing very well when he left. The takeover bid came about because of the dot com bubble, it wasn't a typical takeover bid because of lack of faith in the company. In that case Disney was more of a victim of opportunity, not a victim of failure

All communicating with us via one of Elon's neurotransmitters from the cryogenics lab under the Land in Epcot, I presume? Only half lol...
One of my books, can't recall which, said that Eisner actually asked Lillian Disney about the "frozen Walt" rumor.

Here's an article that has some data. Do not be surprised if DIS jacks up the price of Disney+ by a substantial amount.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/per...hoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article

Netflix vs. Disney+: Which Is the Better Deal?

by Brittney Myers | Published on May 17, 2022

The better value may not be the service with the most content.

Key points​

• Disney+ is cheaper than Netflix by a significant margin.
  • Disney+ also has more features than all but the Premium Netflix plan.
  • Netflix has a more varied content catalog, though Disney+ has more exclusive content

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/disney-plus-advertising-rules-kids-commercials-1235265430/

May 17, 2022 4:00am PT
Disney+ Won’t Take Ads for Alcohol, Politics to Keep Venue Family Friendly

Not every marketer is likely to get its commercials on a new ad-supported version of Disney+.

The popular streaming service — home to Marvel movies, the “Star Wars” series and hours of signature kids’ programming — is about to unveil a new ad-supported tier, part of a broader move by big entertainment companies like Disney to lure new subscribers to its broadband entertainment hubs with cheaper subscription levels. Indeed, the new option is one of the most-anticipated developments of the looming TV “upfront,” when TV networks try to sell the bulk of their commercial inventory for the next programming cycle.

But Disney is being careful, according to two media buyers with knowledge of recent discussions between the company and advertising agencies, wary of overwhelming the streaming outlet with a glut of ads that might obscure the service’s family-friendly environment. Disney’s plan to add an advertising-supported version of Disney+ has been a hot topic this week as the TV industry gathers in New York for the annual upfront programming presentations.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/disney-plus-advertising-rules-kids-commercials-1235265430/

May 17, 2022 4:00am PT
Disney+ Won’t Take Ads for Alcohol, Politics to Keep Venue Family Friendly

Not every marketer is likely to get its commercials on a new ad-supported version of Disney+.

The popular streaming service — home to Marvel movies, the “Star Wars” series and hours of signature kids’ programming — is about to unveil a new ad-supported tier, part of a broader move by big entertainment companies like Disney to lure new subscribers to its broadband entertainment hubs with cheaper subscription levels. Indeed, the new option is one of the most-anticipated developments of the looming TV “upfront,” when TV networks try to sell the bulk of their commercial inventory for the next programming cycle.

But Disney is being careful, according to two media buyers with knowledge of recent discussions between the company and advertising agencies, wary of overwhelming the streaming outlet with a glut of ads that might obscure the service’s family-friendly environment. Disney’s plan to add an advertising-supported version of Disney+ has been a hot topic this week as the TV industry gathers in New York for the annual upfront programming presentations.

Good on them. They should only show ads like Disney Channel does. They don't show regular commercials really, but do have sponsorship spots that are different than the commercials you would see on other channels - even for the same products. The rest are all in-house ads for Disney movies, shows, and parks. I don't really want ads on D+ at all, though I get why they are doing it. Still, it'll be nice to keep the non-family friendly stuff off of there.

Good on them. They should only show ads like Disney Channel does. They don't show regular commercials really, but do have sponsorship spots that are different than the commercials you would see on other channels - even for the same products. The rest are all in-house ads for Disney movies, shows, and parks. I don't really want ads on D+ at all, though I get why they are doing it. Still, it'll be nice to keep the non-family friendly stuff off of there.
i can understand why they would do that as well, the problem that i have is that whenever streaming services run into a snag, they revert to how cable companies do things, ie. packaging services, and now advertisements. If it keeps trending in this direction it will just be cable with more passwords

i can understand why they would do that as well, the problem that i have is that whenever streaming services run into a snag, they revert to how cable companies do things, ie. packaging services, and now advertisements. If it keeps trending in this direction it will just be cable with more passwords
I think that's where we are headed. People cut the cord for cheaper alternatives and it was great while it lasted. IMO what we will see is if you want ad free service its going to cost you.

There is a significant difference. With cable, you can watch only what they offer, and at the time they offer it. With streaming, the choice (and competition) is greater, and you can select the viewing time. But you're correct, the temptation of advertising revenue is simply too great to resist.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/investors-heavily-search-walt-disney-130001556.html

Investors Heavily Search The Walt Disney Company (DIS): Here is What You Need to Know
Zacks Equity Research
Tue, May 17, 2022, 8:00 AM

Walt Disney (DIS) has recently been on Zacks.com's list of the most searched stocks. Therefore, you might want to consider some of the key factors that could influence the stock's performance in the near future.

Over the past month, shares of this entertainment company have returned -17.7%, compared to the Zacks S&P 500 composite's -8.6% change. During this period, the Zacks Media Conglomerates industry, which Disney falls in, has lost 19.3%. The key question now is: What could be the stock's future direction?

The facts discussed here and much other information on Zacks.com might help determine whether or not it's worthwhile paying attention to the market buzz about Disney. However, its Zacks Rank #3 does suggest that it may perform in line with the broader market in the near term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter