DIS Dads: Just booked our Kidani Savannah View! Any pearls of wisdom?

DisDadDoc

<font color=red>DDC #403<br><font color=royalblue>
:woohoo: :cool1: :banana: :woohoo: :cool1: :banana: :woohoo:

We've never stayed at AKL before. I've been brousing the DVC boards and the web and found some good advice, but there's no group I trust more!

Any pearls of wisdom from the group? We're going next February (17-25th), 2012.

We've never stayed at AKL before. I've been brousing the DVC boards and the web and found some good advice, but there's no group I trust more!

Never stayed there, so I have no idea. I hear you can go out in the evening and check out the animals with night-vision goggles though! :thumbsup2

(Oh, and I'm very jealous. So you've got that going for you, which is nice.)

I won't have any pearls of advice until I get back from our trip in November (2BR villa)

When we stayed at Kidani the first room they put us in was on what I believe is called the Pembe Savanna. My view was limited and you saw ugly concrete block buildings and the number of animals was limited. I asked to be moved and we were thrilled with the room on the main savanna. Better view, more animals.:thumbsup2 They bill the Pembe area as a quite serene area. The truth is that the entire Kadani resort is quite and serene.

Stayed there a couple of times, most recently last month. Best advice I have is to take time to enjoy the resort and the view. Both pools are great but I like Kidani’s more. They have all sorts of kids activities. The front desk will have a list of things going on. As Mark said, at night they have a guide out there with night vision goggles. That was kind of neat. Be ready to take lots of pictures.

When we stayed at Kidani the first room they put us in was on what I believe is called the Pembe Savanna. My view was limited and you saw ugly concrete block buildings and the number of animals was limited. I asked to be moved and we were thrilled with the room on the main savanna. Better view, more animals.:thumbsup2 They bill the Pembe area as a quite serene area. The truth is that the entire Kadani resort is quite and serene.

I also got the same crummy view on one visit. It should not be labeled “Savanna View.” If I remember correctly, it is on the far end on the left side. The area was under construction and not much to see. The only thing to see are the concrete buildings they use to keep the animals in at night. Ask for a better view. I never complain much about views but this was so bad I changed it. It is only a few rooms so its unlikely you will be assigned there.

Last time we stayed at the Sunset Savanna and it was great. The link below is the start of our stay at Kidani. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41633214&postcount=45

I see a meet in the future. We arrive in Orlando on 2/22/12

We've stayed their twice - but always cheaped out and did the standard view. They have a fire pit out the back of the lobby where native African guides will tell stories at night and answer any questions you have about the animals during the day.
The pool at Kidani is much better than at Jambo(but in February, weather could be hit or miss if you use it much)

My biggest complaint is the lack of quick service dining at Kidani. Mara at Jambo is your best option. Get on any bus going to a park, and it's first stop is Jambo. From Jambo, get on the Downtown Disney bus. It's next stop is Kidani. There is a walking path between the areas which looks to be about a 5 or 10 minute walk. Figure that DTD buses run every 20 minutes or so, and you'd probably better walking.

As someone mentioned, get ready to walk is you want any QS items.

OVerall Kidani is great though. Nice and quiet resort.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I will have to talk to Aaron about the right video camera and setting up a stream...

Excellent! We'll talk! :thumbsup2

Happy to help, though carlnix30 is the real expert. The easiest way to set up a stream is via ustream.tv (and then I can embed the ustream feed at Disdads.com).

I have stayed at Kidani both solo and with the family several times. It is a wonderful addition to the family of resorts at WDW. AKV, both Jambo House and Kidani Village, really can help transport you mentally to another place. The resort is quiet, and the animals can be mesmerizing. Be very careful though, especially with your kids, to not allow anything to be (even accidentally) thrown over the side of the balconies. They are very protective of the animals, and signs are posted everywhere about this - even to the point of eviction if they catch you. Both rooftop and ground level video cameras are posted all over the place along the savannahs.

I agree with Christian, avoid the Pembe Savannah if at all possible. The animals on that savannah are minimal - mostly of the bird and warthog variety. Plus you'll have a longer ariel view of non-WDW property and resorts if you're on the upper floors. There really is just something less magical about seeing Target over the treetops.

If you can request to be on the Sunset Savannah, it'll be much better - there you'll find zebras, giraffes, ankole cattle and gazelles, plus the various birds, etc. I would call back and make the request for a Sunset Savannah view, so even though not guaranteed, you'll at least have your desires known.

Here's a map of Kidani Village for you:

Kidani_May2009.jpg

For a nice quiet time, be sure to check out the Library off of the lobby area. It is a nice sitting room, with a great fireplace - no books to be found, except the ones you bring in yourself. The Community Hall is located just down the hall from the Library. Like other DVC resorts with a CH, you can check out the various movies, games, etc. They have a pool table, and the assorted video gaming stations. There are lots of daily activities at Kidani, as well as over at Jambo House.

The store, Johari Treasures, is much smaller than the one over at Jambo House. There is a drink refill station there, as well as out at the Maji pool bar. The lack of a QS location is a big problem for many families. We never had a problem with this, not minding the walk over to Jambo House and the Mara when we need QS stuff.

The hallways at Kidani are LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG. if you end up being at the end or near the end (as I did on one trip), you will really regret it if you forget something in your room when you set out for the day or your next excursion.

Parking (if you have a vehicle with you), is located directly underneath the building. You can get pretty close to where your villa is and then take the elevator up from there. That is a nice feature.

The pool complex is great! It currently has the longest slide of any pool at WDW. Guests of the greater resort (both KV and Jambo) can use the pool, but pool hopping from other resorts is not allowed. There are afternoon activities and games around the pool. The workout/fitness room is located near the pool. There are restrooms there that you can change in or out of your swim wear if you'd like. You do need a room key to access the pool area, though there have been times that gates have been left open for whatever reason. There are two hot tubs at the pool - one on the upper level by the fitness center and water slide entrance, and one on the lower level by the pool bar.

There are sports courts, as well as the bbq pavilion. You can borrow basketball, shuffle board and tennis gear from the Community Hall, as well as bbq cooking gear. They are charcoal grills, so if you want to use them, you'll need to provide the charcoal. There are 3 or 4 grills, plus picnic tables under a shelter house by the sports courts.

The buses to the theme parks stop first at Kidani Village, then stop at Jambo House and then proceed directly to the park in question. You can also hop on any theme park bus to get a quick ride over to Jambo House - though it is really only about a 5 minute walk between the 2 buildings.

The buses to DTD stop first at Jambo House, then stop at Kidani Village, and then proceed directly to DTD.

The AKV buses do not share their route with any other resorts - which helps since the resort is "far" from places like the MK or DTD (though technically almost everything is "far" from something at WDW).

One of the nice things about KV of course, are the 2nd bathrooms in the 1 BR villas. The master bath is huge too.

I hope that helps a little for you... :)

One of the nice things about KV of course, are the 2nd bathrooms in the 1 BR villas. The master bath is huge too.

I hope that helps a little for you... :)

Thank you for this. :worship:

I am taking my special needs daughter in April / May and while we have reservations outside the World, it would be much, much more convenient to stay inside since it is just her and I for 2 weeks.

I have been struggling with the cost of things and between her special needs I was thinking that we would need a 2 bedroom which likely would be out of reach cost wise. Yet, if the 1 bedrooms have a second bathroom, that would be great so I can use it but not disturb her (she would get the bedroom and I would get the pullout couch).

Now I'll start to look into 1 bedroom units to rent.

Dan

I am taking my special needs daughter in April / May and while we have reservations outside the World, it would be much, much more convenient to stay inside since it is just her and I for 2 weeks.

I have been struggling with the cost of things and between her special needs I was thinking that we would need a 2 bedroom which likely would be out of reach cost wise. Yet, if the 1 bedrooms have a second bathroom, that would be great so I can use it but not disturb her (she would get the bedroom and I would get the pullout couch).

Dan

You're welcome. Those 2nd bathrooms are only at Kidani, not Jambo House, so make sure if you are able to get a room it is at Kidani. And the 2nd bathroom is complete in that it has the tub/shower combo, not just a half bath with toilet and sink. Our kids used the 2nd bath when we stayed in a 2 BR - that way we had a bathroom, they had a bathroom, and their grandparents had the 3rd bathroom in the 2nd bedroom. I wish ALL of the 1 BR villas had 2nd bathrooms... but at least the newer resorts were built that way.

Called today & requested Sunset Savannah! Thanks, guys!!!

Dan

Dan when you make your reservations make sure they do not just request anything you need for your daughter that they actually call special services and guarantee what you need. Be it a roll in shower, location or any other needs for her. My wife has MS and I found this out early in our trips to WDW that they have a separate dept that handles getting the needs of people with disabilities met. Feel free to contact me or just check the DISabilities forum in the DIS for more info.

My first time on the Dis-Dads board.

Going to AKV very soon and stumbled onto this thread. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and information. It will be incredibly helpful.

My first time on the Dis-Dads board.

Going to AKV very soon and stumbled onto this thread. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and information. It will be incredibly helpful.

Welcome! Hop over to the main thread (Dis Dads Club XI: Where's Perry) & introduce yourself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter