Dining with a 2 y/o

wendy3

Mouseketeer
I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere, but finding an answer to this specific question is hello-hard! I'm taking my daughter and her family to WDW in Sept. My granddaughter is 2 y/o. I plan to make several dining ressies (Garden Grill, Cape May Cafe, Cindy's Royal Table, Tusker House). How does it work with a 2 y/o? Can they eat free? Can they get their own plate or can they eat off an adult's plate? Do we need to bring food for them? She is not picky, but she is 2 y/o, so you never know what you are going to get on any giving day lol! Any suggestions from the "been there, done that" fans would be greatly appreciated :love:

Food wise, I think you can always find something at those restaurants and yes they can eat off your plate.

For us dining with out kids was about time rather than food. Can we get in and out in under 20-30 minutes? There's a point of no return with kids and sitting for an extending period of time. My concern would be Royal Table not because of the food but you can easily be there for over an hour waiting for characters depending where you fall in the rotation.

Nothing annoys me more when I see parents sipping on an after dinner beverage with no care in the world while there kids are goofing out at the table or worse getting out of there chairs walking around bothering people around them. I'm all about enjoying your vacation but not when it bothers people around you.

Just went to wdw with 4yo and 2yo. Yes 2yo had to be included in reservation but he was free to eat off plates and free at buffets. We had to pull out our phone to let him watch his music videos a few times (which we don't do at home) just so he could sit through dinner. Garden grill was our favorite!!!!

Yes, they can eat off an adult's plate, but at a la carte restaurants we usually bought a small side item like a fruit cup and also a beverage (milk).

I wondered why the 2 and under group had to be included in the count, but fire code makes sense. My focus will be on her, so we will not push her past her limit (also my pet peeve when adults let their kids run wild). We will definitely have the phone available and bring a pouch and drink for her. Thanks so much for the great advice!!

To add: At buffets, they can get their own plate at no cost.
We decided to change our CRT plan to Crystal Palace for
1) potential timing issues (if CRT takes too long)
2) buffet (eating off adult plates feels weird to me)
3) Pooh and Gang might be a bigger hit than princesses
4) We can time CP for latest breakfast and possibly get lunch foods as well.

Thanks for the advice - I feel better about this choice :-)

Also keep in mind you must include the 2yo when you make your reservations, they need to be for every body in the group. It's a fire code thing at WDW. So 4 adults and a 2yo is a reservation for 5.
I'm so glad someone pointed this out. I hadn't known this when we took our 2 yo DGD last year. So when we showed up at a restaurant than one more than we'd reserved for (since I didn't know to count her), our server was very displeased. She even refused to get us a high chair since DGD wasn't on the reservation. Fortunately, the head hostess (or whoever she was) came over and go us a high chair right away. Then she and our server had a little chat.

At CRT, we were offered for free 1 chicken strip or a small cup of Mac and cheese. He was also given a small cupcake for dessert ( not the decorate your own cupcake tray with all the extras)

At space 220 there was also free Mac and cheese (we went with that) possibility another choice too.

At Cali grill one time the server made it sound like we could get free Mac and cheese for the baby there. It was the first trip with the baby and didn’t know things like this were offered. But the next time we went and asked for it, since he was older now, the waiter looked so perplexed when I asked about the complimentary under 3 food. So no free food there. We were able to get a small Mac and cheese for $7 for the almost 3 year old here, and they were doing the pre-fix menu during this time.

Be our guest did not offer anything to us but we didn’t ask there. Actually we ordered the 2 year the kids meal because I thought he would like the paint his own chip dessert.

But the buffets are great since they can eat from the buffet for free. Just make sure the server does not charge them the kids price by accident when you get your bill, depending how big they look.

Last edited:
To add: At buffets, they can get their own plate at no cost.
Most will not say anything but this is not the official rule and could be charged.
The rule is eat off the adults plate. I understand and agree with the logic but some waitstaff may not.
With that we were never charged at a Buffett. We also always ordered a side or kids meal at non Buffets as well as a drink.
We never had the issue of getting up through long meals but we took them out a lot and on cruises easily say for 2 hours. We did however have sleep time at some Dinners in WDW because if the heat and then cold AC.

We found the buffets to be a life saver for our 18 month old. At that age the concept of waiting for something is non-existent, so lines and traditional table service restaurants were challenging. But buffets allow you to walk up and pace the meal accordingly as the characters float around the restaurant.

As an aside, some folks could use a friendly reminder A)How challenging it is to get a toddler to “behave” and B)That you have no idea each family’s situation. Just throwing that out there.

I just took a 2.5 year old to Crystal Palace on Saturday and it was a huge hit for him - he eats "real" food aka not the chicken fingers and Mac - so he enjoyed the fish and other veggies. The 4 adults all enjoyed things - those sugar cookies were SO good.

All the characters were a hit in a big way and he was entertained the whole meal. Definitely recommend!

Most will not say anything but this is not the official rule and could be charged.
The rule is eat off the adults plate. I understand and agree with the logic but some waitstaff may not.
With that we were never charged at a Buffett. We also always ordered a side or kids meal at non Buffets as well as a drink.
We never had the issue of getting up through long meals but we took them out a lot and on cruises easily say for 2 hours. We did however have sleep time at some Dinners in WDW because if the heat and then cold AC.
That's not true. At regular T-S restaurants, children under the age of 3 can eat off a family member's plate for free or they can order something (and obviously pay for it) off the kids menu. At buffets and family-style restaurants, children under the age of 3 eat for free. I've had this confirmed multiple times over the years, and the question has been officially answered several times on planDisney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter