Dining Review Maya Grill. 10/4 5:30pm

Cannot_Wait_4Disney

The Colombo of Cippolini.
We decided to do a couple out of the way places this trip. As we were itching to go see Coronado Springs, we decided to try the Maya Grill. We came back from the Water Park, changed and got over there. The resort itself is very nice and very relaxing. The main hall wasn't all that busy. Maya Grill was down just past the pepper market. We got there and the place was about 1/3 full so we got a seat instantly. And what luck, we got one right by the window overlooking the lake. It was a fabulous view. We kept getting those all week. Our waiter was very friendly and explained how the dinng plan worked. They had a kids menu with kids appetizer and deserts on it. They brought Bread and dipping sauce. It was really nice. The Decor was pleasant. And the place itself wasn't too noisy or busy. Now many have complained about slow service but we didn't receive that at all. More to follow.

For appetizers, two in the party got the seafood Margarita. I got the seafood skillet. Kiddo got the Nachos.

The seafood Margarita's come with seafood around the glass marinated in lime and tequilla. It tasted good. but there was a bit too much produce and not enough seafood for my liking. OH WELL. THEIR TOUGH LUCK!!! I got the seafood skillet which was absolutely wonderful. Lots of nice seafood in a good tomato-garlic sauce. The Kiddo got the nachos which turned out to be the skating rink snack bar variety. I found that unacceptable. C'mon people do not patronize the kids. They're pefectly capable of handling real nachos. Grrrr.
For dinner, I ordered the pan seared duck breast with duck confit in mole sauce. I had figured from MisterDisney's review where he said it was a bit too spicy for him that it would be just right for me. And it was. .It certainly did not disappoint and was one of the better dishes I had that week. Yummy stuff. If you don't like spicy things though, stay away. The Kiddo ordered the Beef Tenderloin tips. They were really good. This was not an insult to the kiddo and dad gave it his thumbs up. A really nice kid's entree. The Wife ordered the Filet and catch, which was tilapia. The Steak was the best filet I saw all week and that includes LeCellier coming up later. The fish was well done for what it was. It had a dry rub on it and was cooked to a fairly firm doneness until it flaked apart completely. This is perfectly fine for what it is. However, I don't like my fish cooked like that. I like mine a tad on the undercooked side rather than the well. Again it wasn't bad. It was right for what it was, but there isn't much on the menu to let you know of the style.
But if you don't like that style, it's not going to be for you. She doesn't like her fish like that either but there was plenty of steak to fill her up. So she didn't mind.
The other in our party ordered the filet, ribs, and fish. He liked the fish and the steak. The ribs are typical St. Louis Style ribs. The sauce was tangy, but didn't have much oomph to it in the way of spice. The ribs were fall off the bone like most want em these days. I'm not a big fan of that style. i like mine done that way only to a point and then introduced to the flame for a good while. These weren't. So they were good, but they didn't stand out as anything to go out of your way to get.
I got a deep fried cheesecake that was delicious. I can't remember what everyone else got. I'll have to look at the pictures. But it was good.

Service was excellent. They let me rotate drinks here as well. The service was prompt but not to fast. The waiter we got was very friendly. All the complaints about service I had read just didn't happen to us this night. So they may have gotten that solved. Or we may have just hit the good waiter on a good night.

Afterwards we sat out by the lake and just relaxed. Coronado Springs was a really nice resort. I can see why a lot of people like it. And it was nice to go into a gift shop that wasn't jambed for a chance. It was a very relaxing evening and just what the doctor ordered after a day of water park fun.

Value for the Money and/or Credit.
It was fully worth a credit in my mind. It was a truly relaxing and quiet place to eat and the view was fabulous. If you get there about 5:30, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a window seat. Also, it did fill up a bit later, but if you're out of options and don't have an ADR, call up dining and ask about availability here.
As far as out of pocket, I'd probably head somewhere else unless I knew I wanted Duck, Lamb, or Steak. It's a bit out of the way and some of the items are a bit pricy. Not that it's bad but I think you can do just as well as Kona or GF cafe at a little bit better price and not so out of the way place. Of course, there aren't many places you can have quiet.

I give the place my suggestion. But keep in mind what you're eating. A couple of things were top notch, and one was good but nothing special. The other, I just didn't care for the style. I'm not counting off for it though. The deserts this night were all really good. But dadgummit they need some bread pudding!!!! LMAO you knew I'd get that one in didn't you? We certainly will return. We liked it and it was good. It isn't a place we'll look to go to every time, but it certainly is a great change of pace.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter