Dining advice for Sept.-Oct. trip

NMPensFan

Mouseketeer
My trip and is in late September but I can’t stop questioning my dining choices and need advice. We each have 7 table service credits each for 2 adults. We have booked Hoop Dee-Doo, California Grill brunch, Ohana, Boma, and Cape May Cafe with quick service credits and food and wine snacks to fill in the other meals.

I keep wondering about Cape May Cafe. I see mixed reviews for dinner. Now I’m thinking about Hollywood and Vine with the fantastic package instead. Or I saw Ale and Compass looks interesting as well.

Any advice or thoughts on Cape May dinner, Hollywood and Vine, Ale and Compass or any other option? This dinner would be for our Hollywood Studios day so anything in the nearby resorts would work too.

My trip and is in late September but I can’t stop questioning my dining choices and need advice. We each have 7 table service credits each for 2 adults. We have booked Hoop Dee-Doo, California Grill brunch, Ohana, Boma, and Cape May Cafe with quick service credits and food and wine snacks to fill in the other meals.

I keep wondering about Cape May Cafe. I see mixed reviews for dinner. Now I’m thinking about Hollywood and Vine with the fantastic package instead. Or I saw Ale and Compass looks interesting as well.

Any advice or thoughts on Cape May dinner, Hollywood and Vine, Ale and Compass or any other option? This dinner would be for our Hollywood Studios day so anything in the nearby resorts would work too.
You might want to see a video or two at youtube for Cape May to help make up your mind. It did a wonderful job of helping me make a choice.
I may stop at Ale + Compass this trip because we'll be staying in the area but haven't been there or Hollywood and Vine to date.

I'm trying Hollywood&Vine for Fantasmic this time around. I figure it's a standard buffet with characters. It gets us grumpy folk an hour and a half of rest and air conditioning.

HS is possibly my least favorite park to dine in. I like Sci-Fi the best, but I feel crammed into the booths sometimes when I'd much prefer to stretch out. 50s Prime Time is okay, too. My travel party wasn't too interested in going, so we chose HV.

I don't like to travel out of the park to go dine, unless I'm absolutely done with that park that day. What you think is going to take only x amount of time ends up taking much longer. HS is a half-day park for me, usually, especially if I go for rope drop. So, I do all the attractions I want to do, and then I go back and eat TS at a resort or Disney Springs later in the day.

H & V is the ONLY restaurant in all of WDW I will never return to. Rude waitress, surrounded by unbused tables, dirty buffer, cold food not cold, hot food not hot. NEVER again

Last edited:
If you are from a place that has great local seafood, Cape May is not for you. You will be disappointed.

If not, it seems very popular. We were comparing restaurant reviews with another family on the bus once & we loved Akershus, but they said they don't eat there because it could never hold a candle to what their Norwegian relatives make. However, they loved Cape May because the best seafood restaurant in their area is Red Lobster.

I think that is the reason for the mixed reviews :)

Of the three, I would do Ale and Compass. I love seafood, but the Cape May buffet was not for me. The food was lukewarm and buffets, in general, kind of gross me out, quite honestly. H&V is downright awful. Honestly, any other 1 TS in DHS would be better than H&V. We had breakfast at Ale & Compass in March and it was the best breakfast we've ever had in WDW (and we've gone quite frequently over the past 10 years)

I always say you can’t always trust Dining reviews 100% because it’s all about personal preference for example my mom thought Cape May was amazing. My dad and I thought it was just OK. However while Hollywood and Vine isn’t the best meal on property it’s still a go to for us.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree that the table service options at HS are not great. We’ll be getting our fill of chicken at HDD and that is what we’d probably order at 50’s so that’s out. We went to Hollywood and Vine a couple of years ago. It was fine but the more I think about it I wouldn’t want to go again.

NYCgrrl I did try a few YouTube videos and I see both positives and really negatives. Everything looks good but you don’t know until you go I guess. A lot of the positives are for breakfast and we’re looking for a dinner.

EscalatorKid’s comment about time it takes to eat offsite made a lot of sense. I’m trying to find something that fits in that area and there just isn’t one. Especially when you factor in the time.

I think I’ll alter my schedule so we’ll spend more time at the F&W festival, take an afternoon break at the hotel and eat a quick service meal before trying to see a nighttime show. I hear the Art of Animation cafeteria is good and we’re at Pop. And this will free up a table service for Liberty Tree Tavern that we were wanting to do.

I’m still thinking about it, but I feel better already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter