• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

digital camera screen--black after picture?

Blueeyes101817

DIS Veteran
Im sure this is a stupid question, but im completely confused!!Im getting things ready for my vacation and i was checking my camera...I have a nikon coolpix 5600...
After i take a picture, the picture saves, it waits a few seconds and then the screen goes black...
it never used to do this--i would be able to just take another picture...
any reasons for this? thanks!

Check to see if you've pressed the "Display" button by mistake. If you've switched it off, it behaves just like you've described. Press it now and see if it returns back to how you used to take photographs....although...when I think about it, you should have noticed a black screen when you tried to take the original photograph. If all else fails, try charging your batteries to their fullest. Good luck!

I dont have the chargable batteries anymore--they didnt last so we just use the AA ones..i just put new batteries in and it still does the same..
the picture saves and then it goes black for a few seconds--then it goes back to where i can take the picture..
i guess it doesnt really matter..its just weird

All Nikon digital cameras have menu areas to set camera parameters, including how the rear monitor behaves. One of the settings may have gotten changed and you can easily reset it make the screen behave for you. I pulled out my older Coolpix 4300 and found this:
1. Turn the Mode dial to "setup" (this wheel will also have an "A" , "M", etc marks on it)
2. Look in set-up menu 1 for a "Monitor Options"
3. Use the jog dial to scroll down and highlight that menu; push the right arrow to select that menu. (The jog dial is the little disk on the back of the camera with four arrows on it pointing at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.)
4. Select Display Mode; a sub-menu appears. Select "Monitor On" and press the right arrow on the jog dial.

If this does not match your menu style, I also looked at the D70 menus. Nikon is amazingly consistant across models and this is the newer style used on most of thier cameras.
1. Go to "Setup" or press the "menu" button.
(Note Steps 2 - 4 may be unnecessary for your camera.)
2. Go to the menu group marked with a wrench. To do this, use the jog dial. Press the left arrow to get to the left column of icons. Use the up or down arrows to highlight the wrench; press the right arrow.
3. Use the up-down to highlight "CSM menu"; press the right arrow.
4. Select "Detailed" and press the right arrow.
5. Press the left arrow to get to the column of icons.
6. Use the jog dial (see item 3 in the upper discussion) up-down arrows to select the pencil. Press the right arrow.
7. Scroll up or down and find "Image review". If this is not already set to "on", press the right arrow.
8. Use the up-down arrow to select "on" and press the right arrow.
9. Now scroll down and find "Monitor off"; press the right arrow.
10. You should now have several selections for time; pick the amount of time you want the monitor to stay on to review your picture. I set mine to 5 minutes. The longer you set this, the more battery drain while the rear display is on.

I hope this helps! Beauregard

thank you so much for helping--i got confused and i hope you dont mind me asking a question..

when i go to setup-monitor settings, my only choices were photo info and brightness---when i chose photo info i was given choices:show info, hide info, and monitor off...if i go to monitor off, i get no time choices...

I was thinking low battery. Mine did that when a change was needed. Also, if you use regular AA's, you will go broke if you take a lot of pictures. Rechargable nickel hydride, not nicad, is what you need.

Vacation again? :cool1: :banana:

Dan Murphy said:
I was thinking low battery. Mine did that when a change was needed. Also, if you use regular AA's, you will go broke if you take a lot of pictures. Rechargable nickel hydride, not nicad, is what you need.

Vacation again? :cool1: :banana:

I know eventually ill have to get the rechargable ones..but my mom and aunt got me about 3 or 4 packs of AA's for this trip!

and this will probably be the last vacation for awhile--6 night cruise!

Dan is right about the batteries. Nickel metal hydride is the way to go. Look for high capacity version if you can find it. Look for a package that comes with the charger included.

You might want to look through your manual for the menu location for controlling the monitor.

Blueeyes101817 said:
I dont have the chargable batteries anymore--they didnt last so we just use the AA ones..i

What kind of rechargable batteries were you using? If you use the latest types of NiMh (NOT Nicad!) batteries (they are rated at 2000 ma or higher (look on the package or battery)), they should last a lot longer than regular Alkaline AA batteries and will be way cheaper in the long run. Just make sure you get a charger that's compatible with the higher output Nimh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries. Nimh batteries don't develope a memory effect like the older style Nicd's did but they need to be charged before using them if they sit for a long while (like a couple of weeks or longer) because they drain down.

Charade said:
What kind of rechargable batteries were you using? If you use the latest types of NiMh (NOT Nicad!) batteries (they are rated at 2000 ma or higher (look on the package or battery)), they should last a lot longer than regular Alkaline AA batteries and will be way cheaper in the long run. Just make sure you get a charger that's compatible with the higher output Nimh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries. Nimh batteries don't develope a memory effect like the older style Nicd's did but they need to be charged before using them if they sit for a long while (like a couple of weeks or longer) because they drain down.

not sure what they were--we returned them to the store yesterday...
after i get back from the trip, ill definitely have to go buy rechargable..ill print this thread out and take it with me..might as well use the AA's while im awya since i have a ton!

thanks!

Energizer makes a great NiMH rechargable battery rated at 2500ma. I've replaced all of my rechargeable batteries with these. You can find them everywhere, I bought some at Wal-Mart the other day for $9.00 for 4 AA batteries. For $19 they had 4 batteries with a charger.

Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter