Did you always like WDW? Boyfriend says he has no desire to go.

Noted. I am just sick of the bulling that goes on in some of the treads. And the "mommies" I hear a lot of time doing so.

So true, there are some posters out there who feel their opinion is the only one that is right.

Wow! Never saw the other post and I am not a dad (a mom actually and I have very conservative family values) but geez- why would someone comment negatively on your post?!?! You wouldn't think asking about taking your bf to wdw is a touchy subject! You werent asking for advice on family structure! I'm sorry you had to receive those comments, op.

I would think maybe your bf doesn't truly understand what Disney is? Now he may not be a Disney person and may truly not want to go, but maybe he thinks it is more of a little kid park for girls with all the princesses and stuff and not understand that it is lots of fun for boys and grown men, too. I agree maybe get a Disney planning DVD or keep pulling things up online that may interest him and the boys like the pirates league, pirates of the Caribbean ride, tower of terror, Star Wars, etc. plus show him Disney quest and the water parks. I would day he should try it. Maybe plan the trip as being more of a universal trip with Disney for a few days on the side and then hope he ends up loving Disney and you can go longer next time!

Good luck!
Well, most people didn't rip her to shreds, simply told her that you can't make somebody like something. And yes, some mentioned the fact that the kids' mom may not go for it. I was the one who stated that sometimes post divorce relationships are unstable. Some are. :confused3

She then told a board member "screw you". Which was not very nice, or mature.

If she really thinks she can covert him, more power to her. I have converted quite a few family members. Most people there have also had experience with those who want no part of WDW. Giving someone a gift trip to WDW because you like it is a potential disaster.

Also, offering an opinion when you have been asked for one is not mean. Even if the OP doesn't agree with it.:rolleyes2 Some people are just too sensitive to participate on a discussion board apparently.

Well, most people didn't rip her to shreds, simply told her that you can't make somebody like something. And yes, some mentioned the fact that the kids' mom may not go for it. I was the one who stated that sometimes post divorce relationships are unstable. Some are. :confused3

If she really thinks she can covert him, more power to her. I have converted quite a few family members. Most people there have also had experience with those who want no part of WDW. Giving someone a gift trip to WDW because you like it is a potential disaster.

Also, offering an opinion when you have been asked for one is not mean. Even if the OP doesn't agree with it.:rolleyes2 Some people are just too sensitive to participate on a discussion board apparently.
Didn't you do enough damage on the other thread?

Leave the poor girl alone and go back to putting your 2 cents in on the 'regular' boards.

I don't even know why I'm responding to this. I should leave the trolls alone. :headache::badpc:

luvthemouse71 said:

There are a lot of emotions post Divorce and the only ones that know the details are those involved. For all you know the Mom could be out of the picture or not involved any longer. As for the language I don't know.

I've decided that come his birthday I'm just going to give him the gift of a vacation of his choosing. With or without the kids. It'll be his choice. We went on a cruise earlier in the year and he had mentioned he'd like to take the boys on a short 3-4 days cruise sometime. Maybe he'll want to do that. Maybe he'll want it to do something with just the 2 of us. I do still truly believe that he'd enjoy WDW once he looked into it more, but I'm just going to talk to him about that another time.

And as for the people who politely told me they didn't think giving him a WDW trip as a birthday present was a good idea, I respected them. It has nothing to do with my sensitivity. There was no need for anyone who did to go into other comments about the stability of my relationship and whether I had the right to consider them my family. Home is where your heart is, and mine is with them (along with my own family). And also as far as assuming because of my reaction that I was much younger than my boyfriend (I'm 2 months older than him). All of those comments were uncalled for and rude, and there was no need to delve into those areas. My comment in return to the one person was only in response to being hurt. People can't play with fire and expect not to get burned as far as comments/replies go.

That being said...thank you to everyone who politely responded to my question.

I won't lie, my first thoughts when my wife offered Disney up as a vacation destination were less then enthused. Lots of reasons none of them particularly insightful, I just didn't see it as a place I'd see having much use for.

5 trips in 5 years should be an indication of a change of view on the issue. First we're Canadian, so escaping the cold Canadian winter in February is a plus, its warmer without being too warm. We stay on sight every time. I've read more then enough debate on the plus/minus of this, simply ... that's what we do because its what we want to do.

I'm 52, DW is 46 we have two boys 22 and 13 every trip has provided something which in total satisfies each and everyone of us. Every trip taken has provided a new option, a new experience and memories we carry right up to the planning of the next trip. When first discussed I did not envision this or a second trip frankly.

My wife and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary with a trip for the two of us, We attended the Food & Wine, MNSSHP, The Keys To the Kingdom tour. We focused more on dining Le Cellier, the Flying Fish a couple others. I definitely did not see that coming when the first trip to Disney was suggested. It was a completely different trip then previously taken. It was completely wonderful as well.

I went on the first trip because that's what my wife and family seemed to want. I'm going back on my 6th trip in 5 years this February because I want to. We love it, the options, the sights, the experiences are many there are things we haven't done yet, perhaps there will be a day when this isn't the case, at this point I have a hard time envisioning it. I know this, I'm glad I took the first trip, I went with an open mind and quickly realized as a Husband, Father and vacationer I'm happy in the World. Like everything else, it may not be for all people but I'm glad we went and I'm looking forward to going again and ...likely again.

Just came across this thread, and looking for similar advice. I've been to the World once (solo), had a fun, relaxing time, and booked a bounceback. I asked DH to go with me this time. His response was what OP encountered: "Why would I want to spend a week and all that money to ride little kid rides?" Granted, his only knowledge of Disney was a few days we spent at DL with our young kids years ago. And, yeah, it was basically little kid rides, the swimming pool, and lots of pizza. Great memories, but not appealing for a grown-up vacation.

I thought, OK, and let it go. One day we looked over my recent trip photos together. Occasionally I've talked about something I really enjoyed - a restaurant, a ride, having a cold beer and listening to 'Off Kilter', the great customer service, whatever. After a few months I asked him again, because if he wasn't going, my friend needs time to plan. To my surprise, he said "sure".

My DH would not have been the guy to surprise with a trip. He likes to know what he's getting into. He's mentioned a few concerns (like the hot weather) and requests (one special, elegant dinner), and we discuss them. It will be our trip, not my trip with him in tow. He will arrive with a pretty good idea of what to expect, instead of having unrealistic expectations and being disappointed. I'm not trying to make him a Disney fan, I just want him to have a good time on vacation. Yesterday I made it official -- added him to the reservation and booked plane tickets. We are both looking forward to it. ::yes::

Every one of us is different. Whatever you and yours decide will be best for your situation at the present time.

My DW loves going to Disney and has been numerous times. I've only been one time. Before I even went on that trip I had no desire to go but because she insisted I went. I had an ok time. The only reason I had just an ok time was because it was my first time going on a trip like that. I might've been trying to adjust to my surroundings as well. I agreed to go again and look forward to having a great time because my girls will be older and will be able to do more than the last trip. Hopefully your boyfriend will find something he really enjoys there. I'm excited to go to Disney Quest and play some golf. :thumbsup2

I'm not sure if you made a decision yet, but if not here are my two cents. I agree with a pp and op that giving the trip as a birthday present might not be the best idea, since he has said he didn't want to go. That would be giving yourself a gift and assuming that he will love it when he gets there. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself a gift of something amazing like this, and wanting to share the experience with your family, in fact it's amazing. Maybe tell him that you want to provide this for the family, how can he resist if its for the kids. He will likely love it, if not for himself, for them. Just give him a new wrench for his birthday, that's a good gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter