Did they think the water was enough?

As someone who is happy sitting on the beach all day with a drink and a good book, I am disappointed that the majority of beach chairs are behind the dune, making it impossible to see the water. As a very active person who doesn’t mind a walk, I am still disappointed with the time and distance necessary to get to the beach (especially when hauling a bag of beach gear). As someone who loves DCL more for the high-end aspect and spectacular service than the Disney touches, I am underwhelmed by the plain, unfinished look of the island. As someone who has spent lots of time in the Caribbean, I have to admit that CC is a manufactured paradise, but at least it’s a very convenient, very relaxing paradise. Lookout Cay seems like an awful lot of work for not as much reward.

Here are my thoughts after now going to Lookout Cay twice and Castaway Cay on the same cruise - the only cruise to go to 3 Disney destinations in a row!

Beach: the beach is gorgeous. Pink soft sand, on a calm day very tranquil water but on a very windy and rough day, there are small waves that take away the tranquility. On a calm day, the best beach I've ever been too. On a windy day, still nice, but not the complete calm and tranquil shelter of Castaway Cay and less desirable. At least the ship can still dock on windy days, so that's a plus.

Pier: I will say, it doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the photos. The walk is about 15 minutes, and really not terrible IF you are generally mobile and able to walk. Tons of wagons for toting kids and things. Also, each light post has speakers and it gives a nice ambience as Bahamian music plays (this is true throughout the island, including the restrooms). I no longer have really young kids - my youngest was 7, and we all walked fine. BUT, I still think it was a huge mistake and it should have been designed to accommodate the tram. That would have been what the Disney of 20 years ago would have done and would really upped the experience.

Tram: the trams are constant and large. But the trip is boring and the narration hokey. I really wish they'd done something more creative here.

Food: flies were present at the buffet and a bit of a nuisance, but not as grotesque as the first sailing showed. I think this is something that Disney will get under control. Once we took the food to our tables, we had generally no issues with flies other than occasionally swatting one away, as is normal for eating outdoors. (At Castaway Cay the seagulls were almost more of a nuisance trying to steal our food while we ate). I thought the quality of the food was just OK. Somethings were good, the ribs were great, I liked the spicy chicken sandwich, other things were meh.

Beach Chairs: We were on the Magic, and the ship was not full. Even so, it appeared to me that all chairs along the beach were taken by mid-morning. If the ship was full or it was a bigger ship, I fully expect that people would have had to sit in the chairs behind the dune, which I think is quite disappointing. In comparison, seating at Castaway Cay was plentiful even when we got off the ship over an hour after they allowed people off, we had no problems finding beachfront chairs.

Facilities: The trees need to grow in, and I'm sure they will. It felt a little barren. My kids played in the kids splash area and really enjoyed it - much more than they enjoy pelican plunge. For the 13 and under, it seemed pretty popular. Any older than that, and probably no so much. The buffet and seating areas were quite nice and plentiful. Bathrooms were nice, clean, cool and music played. I didn't personally explore much beyond that.

Overall Experience: Obviously any discussion of Lookout Cay will be compared to Castaway Cay. All 5 members of my family prefer Castaway Cay. It is the truly perfect beach experience in our opinion. Easy, plentiful chairs, gorgeous, fun snorkeling (snorkeling at Lookout was nice good reefs to explore). Lookout Cay was very nice, gorgeous beach, but not the Disney experience we love. It's more work than Castaway. If we can only go to one, Castaway Cay would have my family's vote. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise that goes to both, though. It's nice to have options, but I'm a bit disappointed as I had high hopes and Lookout Cay is really nice, but Castaway Cay is my happy place. I think that is a common sentiment.

Here are my thoughts after now going to Lookout Cay twice and Castaway Cay on the same cruise - the only cruise to go to 3 Disney destinations in a row!

Beach: the beach is gorgeous. Pink soft sand, on a calm day very tranquil water but on a very windy and rough day, there are small waves that take away the tranquility. On a calm day, the best beach I've ever been too. On a windy day, still nice, but not the complete calm and tranquil shelter of Castaway Cay and less desirable. At least the ship can still dock on windy days, so that's a plus.

Pier: I will say, it doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the photos. The walk is about 15 minutes, and really not terrible IF you are generally mobile and able to walk. Tons of wagons for toting kids and things. Also, each light post has speakers and it gives a nice ambience as Bahamian music plays (this is true throughout the island, including the restrooms). I no longer have really young kids - my youngest was 7, and we all walked fine. BUT, I still think it was a huge mistake and it should have been designed to accommodate the tram. That would have been what the Disney of 20 years ago would have done and would really upped the experience.

Tram: the trams are constant and large. But the trip is boring and the narration hokey. I really wish they'd done something more creative here.

Food: flies were present at the buffet and a bit of a nuisance, but not as grotesque as the first sailing showed. I think this is something that Disney will get under control. Once we took the food to our tables, we had generally no issues with flies other than occasionally swatting one away, as is normal for eating outdoors. (At Castaway Cay the seagulls were almost more of a nuisance trying to steal our food while we ate). I thought the quality of the food was just OK. Somethings were good, the ribs were great, I liked the spicy chicken sandwich, other things were meh.

Beach Chairs: We were on the Magic, and the ship was not full. Even so, it appeared to me that all chairs along the beach were taken by mid-morning. If the ship was full or it was a bigger ship, I fully expect that people would have had to sit in the chairs behind the dune, which I think is quite disappointing. In comparison, seating at Castaway Cay was plentiful even when we got off the ship over an hour after they allowed people off, we had no problems finding beachfront chairs.

Facilities: The trees need to grow in, and I'm sure they will. It felt a little barren. My kids played in the kids splash area and really enjoyed it - much more than they enjoy pelican plunge. For the 13 and under, it seemed pretty popular. Any older than that, and probably no so much. The buffet and seating areas were quite nice and plentiful. Bathrooms were nice, clean, cool and music played. I didn't personally explore much beyond that.

Overall Experience: Obviously any discussion of Lookout Cay will be compared to Castaway Cay. All 5 members of my family prefer Castaway Cay. It is the truly perfect beach experience in our opinion. Easy, plentiful chairs, gorgeous, fun snorkeling (snorkeling at Lookout was nice good reefs to explore). Lookout Cay was very nice, gorgeous beach, but not the Disney experience we love. It's more work than Castaway. If we can only go to one, Castaway Cay would have my family's vote. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise that goes to both, though. It's nice to have options, but I'm a bit disappointed as I had high hopes and Lookout Cay is really nice, but Castaway Cay is my happy place. I think that is a common sentiment.

Truthful honest review.

@Mags2002 we love you but when we’re the ones paying thousands of dollars on the end of things our expectations and opinions might be different.

Also I’m still confused Carnival and Royal Caribbean all have bohemian islands that they developed why or who forced this conversation approach on Disney like know your audience.

Last edited:
Also I’m still confused Carnival and Royal Caribbean all have bohemian islands that they developed why or who forced this conversation approach on Disney like know your audience.
My understanding is that the government Disney was working with imposed the restrictions. If starting from scratch today, I am not sure if Carnival or Royal Caribbean would be able to build what they built or if the rules on what you are allowed to build now drastically varies island to island.

Truthful honest review.

@Mags2002 we love you but when we’re the ones paying thousands of dollars on the end of things our expectations and opinions might be different.

I don’t know if it is fair to call @Mags2002 into this. Just because she does not pay to go there, doesn’t make her opinions any less valid. She shared her opinion just like everyone else and she is allowed to like her time there. A lot of what she is saying is also now being said by others after Disney has made adjustments

I don’t know if it is fair to call @Mags2002 into this. Just because she does not pay to go there, doesn’t make her opinions any less valid. She shared her opinion just like everyone else and she is allowed to like her time there. A lot of what she is saying is also now being said by others after Disney has made adjustments

actually I would go further and say Mags from her experience and contacts has the perspective that a lot of vloggers and even first time visitors do not have. and frankly, I don't see what how much someone pays has to do with this. Should concierge guests be more upset? less upset? My Disney is the sum total of all the experiences, not just one, and I pay for the sum total. anyone that didn't realize that there would be bugs to iron out on any new experience just hasn't been paying attention. And comparisons to castaway cay might be useful to establish frame of reference, but only to a point. At some point we have to acknowledge LC is a) a different kettle of fish, and b) very new with plants to grow and experiences to mature. I just really have one question on all these reviews, will I like LC? And to date, even with the nay saying, the answer is yes, I am still intrigued and looking forward to seeing it for myself in September.

Doesnt almost everyone who likes active pursuits like going to the ocean also like walking? If so then surely a walk is added bonus is it not? Not a negative.

Complaints about a lack of things to do is certainly valid. But walking is a thing to do. Even makes the place feel more adventurous if you have to walk to it rather then it just being there right next to a giant boat.

The walks (and bike rides) are the best bit about castaway cay. Not the floating on the ocean.
I am going to Lookout Cay with my two small children (4 & 9), my wife and my mother in law, which is in great shape. I am the planner in the family and make sure everyone gets to do what they want to do. I make all the reservations for DCL, Disneyland and Disney World. I'm asking my family and my MIL about Lookout Cay and she complains about the pier. So does my wife and even my oldest kid haha. They are all comparing it to Castaway Cay, where you can get off the ship and the beach is right there. I understand why there is a pier, but my family only sees it's long. I didn't even mention the flies, as I'm sure it'll be fixed by the time we go.

The bigger problem I am having with Disney is that my family is kinda getting over it. I'll do anything they want to do. We have had annual passes for my kids entire lives and and many years before they were born. My oldest kid sees Icon of the Seas and other ships with water parks onboard and she wants a piece of that action. My wife sees that the competitor has really cool features and will probably cost us less than DCL, even if we add a drink package and dining package. We are going to book our 2025 cruise soon and we shall see who gets our money.

My understanding is that the government Disney was working with imposed the restrictions. If starting from scratch today, I am not sure if Carnival or Royal Caribbean would be able to build what they built or if the rules on what you are allowed to build now drastically varies island to island.
Lookout is now open and Carnival's Celebration Key will not open until 2025, wondering when each began construction and could the time difference for actual starting date of construction resulted in different RULES and REGULATIONS ? :confused3

https://www.carnival.com/celebratio...VmoVaBR1r1gUrEAAYASAAEgJZE_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s. - looking at pier diagram for possibly 4 ships, the outside pier shows no shade and is a long walk

Last edited:
Lookout is now open and Carnival's Celebration Key will not open until 2025, wondering when each began construction and could the time difference for actual starting date of construction resulted in different RULES and REGULATIONS ? :confused3

https://www.carnival.com/celebratio...VmoVaBR1r1gUrEAAYASAAEgJZE_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s. - looking at pier diagram for possibly 4 ships, the outside pier shows no shade and is a long walk

Grand Bahama island is not Eleuthera, and its clear Freeport etc gave up long ago any attempts at conservation, whereas Eleuthera prides itself on its pristine beauty. Per The Bahamas Local Government Act of 1996 there are both commonwealth regulations and local regulations. No doubt there are some public legal documents that detail Disney's contractural obligations, but in the end does it matter? I suppose it does to those that want drastic change and amusement rides brought to Eleuthera.... but otherwise, the dice has been rolled. Disney has tried to incorporate less ears, more local culture into LC. Variety is the spice of life.

Grand Bahama island is not Eleuthera, and its clear Freeport etc gave up long ago any attempts at conservation, whereas Eleuthera prides itself on its pristine beauty. Per The Bahamas Local Government Act of 1996 there are both commonwealth regulations and local regulations. No doubt there are some public legal documents that detail Disney's contractural obligations, but in the end does it matter? I suppose it does to those that want drastic change and amusement rides brought to Eleuthera.... but otherwise, the dice has been rolled. Disney has tried to incorporate less ears, more local culture into LC. Variety is the spice of life.
Thanks for the lesson.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the lesson.:thumbsup2

chuckles.. hope I covered your point, I wasn't quite sure what it was... but I do note that others keep responding like anywhere in the Caribbean is going to have the same regulations, if so and so did that, why cant Disney? In the end, I think to some degree Disney was complicit in the choices, sorta had to be right?

btw. here is a map of the local districts. I cant help but dig for facts in an opinion based world.

Attachments

• Districts_of_the_Bahamas_(Labeled).png
    Districts_of_the_Bahamas_(Labeled).png
    76.3 KB · Views: 16
chuckles.. hope I covered your point, I wasn't quite sure what it was... but I do note that others keep responding like anywhere in the Caribbean is going to have the same regulations, if so and so did that, why cant Disney? In the end, I think to some degree Disney was complicit in the choices, sorta had to be right?

btw. here is a map of the local districts. I cant help but dig for facts in an opinion based world.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Despite any supposed laws/regulations governing development isn't it possible that Disney itself just decided to try to reduce the impact of its development? Perhaps this was a conscious choice.

My feeling is that Disney did indeed make the effort to reduce its *footprint* but some Disney Guests expect(ed) a CC on some steroids.

The most restricted development of an Island by a Cruise Line is that of MSC's Ocean Cay Marine Reserve. 100's of million$$$ spent to make an Industrial waste land into a Bahamian Island Relaxation Destination. Not much to do but soak up sun on land or in/on the water. Definitely NOT FOR ALL.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

My feeling is that Disney did indeed make the effort to reduce its *footprint* but some Disney Guests expect(ed) a CC on some steroids.

The most restricted development of an Island by a Cruise Line is that of MSC's Ocean Cay Marine Reserve. 100's of million$$$ spent to make an Industrial waste land into a Bahamian Island Relaxation Destination. Not much to do but soak up sun on land or in/on the water. Definitely NOT FOR ALL.

Not only is MSC one of the cheapest cruise lines it’s not marketed towards children

I do agree with @CampbellzSoup that Mags opinion might be different. Because she didn’t pay for the cruise, but also she can enjoy the island often. But her opinion still matters of course.

It’s like the last time I cruised, I did a B2B on the Magic. On the second leg Twice Charmed got stopped halfway through the show and never resumed. The next day Dreams was cancelled (problem with the stage hadn’t been fixed). I had already seen the shows on the first leg (but also on an earlier cruise), so it wasn’t a big problem to me. Just a pity. But I can imagine first timers must have been really disappointed.

Or to give an other example, last December I went to Disneyland and hadn’t been there in 9 years. Tried Guardians of the Galaxy twice, but both times annual pass holders were so loud in screaming and singing with the lyrics, I could not understand a word of the attraction. Really annoying as I don’t know when I will get to DLR again.

That place looks fabulous.
Which reminds me I wonder how MSC's island and NCL's island are doing now. I had forgotten during lockdown that they'd been on my radar!

ah - thank you. I should have kept reading.
I do want to try and MSC (it got cancelled during covid).
Honestly, for a former industrial sand extraction site and garbage dump that required more than 7,000 tons of scrap metal be removed and replaced with 75,000 plants and shrubs and another 5,000 trees and palms plus buildings, we feel MSC has done an exceptional job of providing a Relaxation Paradise that feels more Bahamian Natural than commercial. Thanks to the aggressive pricing structure for cruising on beautiful ships we overlook the repetitiveness of destinations because we simply enjoy being away from home and on the water.

I hope you will get to experience the laidback Island ambiance in the near future.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter