Did they think the water was enough?

I have hardly read anyone who prefers the new island over Castaway Cay. Animal Kingdoms opening focused on conservation, but it had to be completely overhauled with additional attractions due to guest dissatisfaction.

While everyone appreciates nature, they don't necessarily seek it out during a Disney vacation where they're spending thousands for a unique Disney experience.

Let me put it this way… everyone is going to have their personal preferences. Disney’s boats all are different and people have their favorites. When the Wish came out there were plenty of nay sayers that preferred the Dream or the Magic… well I ignored them and sailed on the Wish to form my own opinion, and guess what? It’s my favorite ship now.

We all know it’s going to take a year or two for LC to really settle into its own. And its not about who likes what more, its about do people like the idea of LC enough to want to visit it? Choice is good. That is the point of LC.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way… everyone is going to have their personal preferences. Disney’s boats all are different and people have their favorites. When the Wish came out there were plenty of nay sayers that preferred the Dream or the Magic… well I ignored them and sailed on the Wish to form my own opinion, and guess what? It’s my favorite ship now.

We all know it’s going to take a year or two for LC to really settle into its own. And its not about who likes what more, its about do people like the idea of LC enough to want to visit it? Choice is good. That is the point of LC.

I like the idea enough to visit it, but not if it's only on 3/4 night itineraries. But I don't do anything more than find a chairs at CC and reluctantly go in the water with my little people.

I have hardly read anyone who prefers the new island over Castaway Cay. Animal Kingdoms opening focused on conservation, but it had to be completely overhauled with additional attractions due to guest dissatisfaction.

While everyone appreciates nature, they don't necessarily seek it out during a Disney vacation where they're spending thousands for a unique Disney experience.
I agree. Castaway Cay is a unique Disney island that most guests highly value visiting. It combines the nature of a beautiful island and beach with many practical comforts that make it easy for guests to access (dredged ship channel to avoid long walks or tendering, tram service covering most of the required walking distance, good & convenient food, protected family beach with shark netting, unlimited beach seating, insect control, outdoor showers, completely separated family & adult beaches, family cabanas located on the family-friendly beach, etc.).

It is designed with themed and attractive yet low-key buildings and a desert island motif with decorated airplanes, etc. It also has many available activities for all ages, like floating & snorkeling, Pelican Plunge and many other water attractions, partially shaded bike trail, stingray attraction, dances, etc.

Last edited:
What's the fly situation?
If you watch the review videos of opening day at Lighthouse Point, you will see a ton of flies all over the food at the buffest and people having to eat with napkins over the food the entire time. It was rather disgusting. Early reports said that Disney wasn't allowed to spray the flies due to environmental constraints by the local government. But more recent reports say that Disney is covering the food, changing the buffet to be a food service counter, and spraying for bugs. Sadly, I have seen reports that the little crabs seem to be gone with the spraying of the flies.

My mom said that when she went to the Sandals private beach, they had the same experience with the flies.

If you watch the review videos of opening day at Lighthouse Point, you will see a ton of flies all over the food at the buffest and people having to eat with napkins over the food the entire time. It was rather disgusting. Early reports said that Disney wasn't allowed to spray the flies due to environmental constraints by the local government. But more recent reports say that Disney is covering the food, changing the buffet to be a food service counter, and spraying for bugs. Sadly, I have seen reports that the little crabs seem to be gone with the spraying of the flies.

My mom said that when she went to the Sandals private beach, they had the same experience with the flies.

Thanks for the response. I was short in my question and should have elaborated. I am curious to hear from those on the most recent sailings on how bad the flies are

At lighthouse point right now. It’s very windy - sand blowing windy. Ship docked fine.

What time are they letting you off the ship on the island in the morning?

Are the food still saran wrapped and they still serving you at the island buffets?

Can you have your island purchases sent back to the ship to pick up later or have to carry it around?

Doesnt almost everyone who likes active pursuits like going to the ocean also like walking? If so then surely a walk is added bonus is it not? Not a negative.

Complaints about a lack of things to do is certainly valid. But walking is a thing to do. Even makes the place feel more adventurous if you have to walk to it rather then it just being there right next to a giant boat.

The walks (and bike rides) are the best bit about castaway cay. Not the floating on the ocean.

It's the difference between being in the cool(er) ocean bobbing and playing versus a long walk in the sun carrying all your stuff, I imagine. Maybe the hope is we'll all dry off and knock off the sand before getting back to the ship? A drying tunnel if you will? ;)

I enjoy long walks, but still wish they'd have been able to add shade. We typically run the CC5K when we visit CC and rent bikes and such as well, but still. Shade options, please! I have to dole out my sun exposure so I don't burn, and while I swear I'm a fully functioning adult (OK mostly), I dislike the repetition of putting on more and more sunblock over and over again.... the later into a vacation the worse I am about it. I aspire to give myself a hug of thanks in my 70s instead of a slap for being lazy and getting cancer.

Perfect.

The water isn’t enough for people. They can literally book any other cruise for that people book Disney for…Disney.
Thank you so much for this very real, insightful video. We are booked on the Magic to go here in Sept and am not looking forward to the fly problem here. Truthfully, we're not into the Caribbean Marti-gras theme entertainment either. You have some great ideas on theming too. True, Disney fans want to see Disney theming. I do. Sounds like Disney totally missed reading the room, again. Rethinking our cruise now.

Fortunately, the fly problems appears to be solved.
By spraying, which they originally said they wouldn't do, I gather? Someone also said the little land crabs are also MIA post spray. We have to spray our house quarterly for ants and spiders so I know all too well you gotta do what you gotta do, but I wish it weren't necessary. Maybe they can figure something out longer term like they do with tsetse flies in East Africa.

By spraying, which they originally said they wouldn't do, I gather? Someone also said the little land crabs are also MIA post spray. We have to spray our house quarterly for ants and spiders so I know all too well you gotta do what you gotta do, but I wish it weren't necessary. Maybe they can figure something out longer term like they do with tsetse flies in East Africa.
Seems so. That, plus more fans, plastic covers on the food, and changing the buffet into a cafeteria style service. All of those solutions seem temporary, though. They'll have to figure out something better long term.

Thank you so much for this very real, insightful video. We are booked on the Magic to go here in Sept and am not looking forward to the fly problem here. Truthfully, we're not into the Caribbean Marti-gras theme entertainment either. You have some great ideas on theming too. True, Disney fans want to see Disney theming. I do. Sounds like Disney totally missed reading the room, again. Rethinking our cruise now.
The flies are not currently a problem. I have been a few times now and love it!

The flies are not currently a problem. I have been a few times now and love it!
Ya I haven't been super tuned in but just saw a vlogger's vid. I would expect the fly issue to be over now?

One strange question - are the Cabanas at Serenity Bay between the adult and children beaches? Seems difficult then for that beach for those guests to be private? You said you've been a few time so would love your expert opinion here! =)

Ya I haven't been super tuned in but just saw a vlogger's vid. I would expect the fly issue to be over now?

One strange question - are the Cabanas at Serenity Bay between the adult and children beaches? Seems difficult then for that beach for those guests to be private? You said you've been a few time so would love your expert opinion here! =)
Yes serenity bay and the family beach are next to each other so it’s not quite as quiet or private if you have a cabana closer to that side

What time are they letting you off the ship on the island in the morning?

Are the food still saran wrapped and they still serving you at the island buffets?

Can you have your island purchases sent back to the ship to pick up later or have to carry it around?
We went there twice. The first time we were allowed off at 10:15, the second at 8:30. That was consistent with the info in the app.

Flies were definitely present on the buffets, but not an issue once we got the food and took to tables. I wasn’t personally bothered by it, but others might be. Wasn’t as bad as first day videos I saw. Only the seafood rice thing was wrapped and being served.

I didn’t shop, so can’t answer on the purchases being sent back.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter