• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diabetic

Princess**PoohGal

Earning My Ears
My daughter Kallie has diabetes. she was diagnosed about a month ago but she didnt want to postpone our yearly trip to WDW. She takes insulin shots but the doctor told her not to outdo herself.(Do you have any tips?

Exercise can lower blood glucose, sometimes too low. You must monitor by testing often and careful observation. Have an emergency plan, carry snacks, and make others in your immediate group aware. Make special meal requests in advance if needed.

(((hugs))) to Kallie's Mommy! I have diabetes and am SO GLAD it's me and not either of my children.

As you get used to it, you get a better idea of how foods will affect blood sugar. But, remember - all carbs raise blood sugar, not just sugar. I've seen sugar-free candy that is just as high in carbs as "real" candy, and not nearly as tasty.

Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Anita

I was at WDW a month ago. Here's what I carried with me in the parks every day: Glucose monitor and test strips, insulin vial, extra syringes, juice box, crackers, water bottle, and a few extra dollars (in case I needed to buy a soda or ice cream for an insulin reaction). Even though some of these items were "extra weight" in my backpack, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Also... all that extra walking (I averaged 12 miles a day) really gave me the need for less insulin usage. I was able to cut my insulin doses by 2/3! I also decreased my overnight insulin amounts - exercise affects your sugar for 24 hours following physical activity.

Just stop every couple of hours or so to check your daughter's blood sugar and see if she wants/needs a snack.

Your daughter is right in that you shouldn't postpone your Disney trip. Diabetes does take extra care and attention, but it doesn't need to hinder or delay you from doing all the fun things that non-diabetics do. You'll have a great trip. :flower:

Princess**PoohGal said:
My daughter Kallie has diabetes. she was diagnosed about a month ago but she didnt want to postpone our yearly trip to WDW. She takes insulin shots but the doctor told her not to outdo herself.(Do you have any tips?

I keep repeating myself about this but since I went through it I speak from experience. Diabetes has a way of affecting the way the skin takes in sun and can be very painful. Make sure you take a lot of sunblock for Kallie and apply often. There is another post on these boards called "Diabetic Tips" and one of the replies posted a picture of the Waterbabies Sunblock which comes highly recommended. As long as its 30 SPF I do OK, anything lower doesn't do it for me. I'm fair skinned to begin with so I always put on a lot of sunblock but since I was diagnosed with diabetes I take extra care, one of my vacations at WDW was almost ruined from sunburn. Make sure you keep water or juice handy to keep her hydrated as well. I know I'm ALWAYS thristy. Check her glucose levels often also. Always carry some snack that can bring up her glucose levels if needed. I've also experienced lows from walking so much at WDW. If staying on site be sure you get a refrigerator in your room. The deluxe and moderate hotels already provide one but the values do not, they will however, provide one free of charge for medical reasons and all hotels provide the Sharps Container for the syringes and testing pins upon request. Most of the restaurants will accomodate any specific dietary needs as long as you call the day before you want to go to the specific restaurant. Have a wonderful trip! :banana: :banana:

If by not outdoing it, the doctor meant to pace her activity, keep in mind that each park has a first aid station where she can sit or lie down and rest for a while if she needs to. We have done this for our daughters who use wheelchairs; they have limited stamina because of cerebral palsy and mitochondrial disease. The staff at the first aid centers have always been gracious and understanding.

Juliah said:
If by not outdoing it, the doctor meant to pace her activity, keep in mind that each park has a first aid station where she can sit or lie down and rest for a while if she needs to. We have done this for our daughters who use wheelchairs; they have limited stamina because of cerebral palsy and mitochondrial disease. The staff at the first aid centers have always been gracious and understanding.
::yes::
We have found the same thing when our DD haas used First Aid. It's a nice cool, quiet place to rest.
Also, I don't know how old the child is, but the Baby Care Center is also a good place for younger kids. They have a TV with Disney movies playing in the waiting room usually.

It will be okay. My son was diagnosed shortly after his 6th birthday. It's easy to get overwhelmed unless you take it one day at a time.
My first suggestion is to always have fast acting sugar. Gluclose tabs or Life Savers. Pure sugar. Anything with fat slows down the absorbtion of sugar into the blood stream. Like chocolate. This won't do much good if her sugar is low.
If she says she feels low, believe her. I've learned that my son is a better judge of his sugar levels than the monitor. There isn't always soap and water nearby to wash hands before testing and anything on hands can cause the monitor to read higher than it should.
You'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter