DH's hearing is declining

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
DH's hearing has been declining the last year or so and it is getting to the point where I am nuts. He refuses to admit there is a problem, yet the TV and radio keeps getting louder and louder, to the point where both DS and I are telling him to turn it down. Also there are so many things he misses simply because he doesn't hear what we are saying. Then there are the 100 or so times where I have to repeat myself because he has heard all that I have said. I can't convince him to go to the doctor, much less convince him he is getting worse. Now what?

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I'm sorry, my Grandfather is the same way about his hearing, it's very difficult to deal with. He has hearing aids but will not wear them and it is so frustrating to have to shout everything and then repeat it ten times after that. I hope your husband will admit there is a problem and see a Dr. soon. For both his own sake and for you and your son's sanity. {{{hugs}}}

Debbi,
What branch of the military is your DH and what is his job occupation? My Dad was in the Air Force when he was younger and worked on the jets - he has a lot of hearing problems.

I have to confess that my hearing is not what it used to be - and I never listened to loud music or anything! I notice that I have to turn the car radio and TV up louder nowadays, and I can't catch what my teens say to me if they're mumbling (which is 99.9% of the time:rolleyes: ) or if I have my back to them.

Pam

My DH worked in the engine room on submarines in the Navy and he had hearing loss from it. He was the same as your DH. The TV would be so loud it would drive me nuts!
Once he was out of the environment his hearing came back.
Good luck to your DH.

Originally posted by Pam
Debbi,
What branch of the military is your DH and what is his job occupation? My Dad was in the Air Force when he was younger and worked on the jets - he has a lot of hearing problems.

Pam

Pam, he is in the Navy and he builds and maintains computers. I think his hearing has been going over the years from loud music and from working on ships in small spaces. The last time he had a hearing test the Navy doc told him his hearing has diminished some, but DH says he can't remember how much. But I know since he was tested, 1+ years, that it has gotten worse.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I got hearing aids a couple years ago because my DH said I couldn't hear him. Sears gave me a hearing test for free and free use of hearing aids for month at which time I had to make up my mind. They can be a nuisance but now I can hear children's and women's voices again.

My dad is the same way, has been for years. He won't get hearing aids either. :mad:

I can relate, my father, who would have been 83 today, was very hard of hearing. Nerve damage due to excessive noise. He would wear his hearing aids most of the time, but not always. I notice my mother (85) keeps her TV up really loud, too. I suffered from a progressive hearing loss that began in my early 20s (I'm 49 now) but fortunately, I went to some good Drs and had surgery to correct it. I now have artificial bones in both ears, and while my hearing is not 100%, it is a great improvement. I will probably have to have hearing aids one day tho, the disease will always be there, and eventually, the artificial bones will no longer do what they are supposed to. Unless medical science comes up with another surgery, I will go to aids. Hearing is the hardest thing to do without, I hope your DH will go to the dr and see what can be done.

Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom for you - just an "I can relate" & a hug! DH doesn't hear too well. His first response when I'd say something was: "Don't mumble." Then it was: "I don't have a hearing loss, I'm ignoring you." (Like that was supposed to make me feel better! :rolleyes: ) More recently it's been: "Don't talk to me while _________" (fill in the blank with "you're walking away", "you're in the other room", "you're looking the other way", "I'm doing something" . . . or some other excuse!)

It's very frustrating! Good luck getting him to do something about it.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter