Delta Shrunk Our Plane...

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
We were originally booked on an A319(?) on our puddle-jump flight from GR to Detroit, en route to Orlando. I kind of figured that would change at some point since that seemed like a really big plane to fly for such a short flight, especially when Delta flies so many of the smaller, regional jets out of our airport. As I suspected, I checked our flights today and lo and behold, we are now on a CRJ700. Since it is just myself and my 2 daughters (13 and 15), I want to make sure we sit as close together as possible. I booked main cabin fares (not basic economy) to make sure that we could pre-select seats. When I looked at my itinerary, there are no seats assigned to us anymore, but there is a link that says "select seats". When I click it, it says that the "seat map is not available at this time" and to check back later.

Our trip is not until October so I am assuming that this is merely temporary and that I will be able to find 3 seats together. I am planning to put the girls on one side with me on the aisle across from them. We only fly once a year and we've flown SWA or AT for the past 8 years. Can someone enlighten me? Will the seat map re-emerge so that I can pick our seats and feel a little better? I already told the girls that there is the possibility that we may be split up, but I showed them the map of the plane. It's only got 50 seats so we won't be THAT spread out.

On a slightly unrelated note, can we gate check our rolling carry-ons if we choose to? We don't need them in-flight and I know that there is limited overhead space in the CRJ's. We *will* want them with us on our DTW-MCO leg so I don't want to check them all the way through. Is there a charge to gate check a bag that is still an acceptable carry-on?

Last edited:

When I logged back in to check my confirmation and flight number, I saw that there was a new alert. Now, it shows that my flight has been changed. I knew that the time had been moved by an hour (later) but now it was asking me to accept those changes. That option was not there this morning when I looked. Once I accepted that change, it allowed me to pick my seats so now I am all set.

Of course...now I am considering upgrading to the Delta Comfort seats. It would be a total of $250 to upgrade the 3 of us for both legs (GRR-DTW and DTW-MCO). We could move up from row 13 to row 4 and on the DTW-MCO leg, we could move from row 30 to row 14. According to the description, we would have "SkyPriority boarding", dedicated overhead bin space and complimentary cocktails.

So, is this something that would be "worth it"?? We have a one-hour layover in Detroit so we shouldn't be so rushed that we must get off the plane first. I sometimes get a little anxious when I fly so I like to have a drink or 2 (I'm not driving and I drink responsibly) so the free cocktails, particularly on the 2.5 hour flight would be nice. If the seats are larger, that's even more of a bonus since I'm sure the girls will want to nap on the way. Is there that noticeable of a difference? I don't really want to pay $250 for a few drinks and a different spot on the plane, but if the seats themselves are actually nicer and the overall experience is better, then the money might be worth it.

$250 for that length of flight, to me no.
The $250 included both legs, GRR-DTW and DTW-MCO. It would only be $200 for the DTW-MCO leg, but I figured the extra $50 would be worth it to move from row 13 to row 5 on the GRR-DTW leg since I'm not a fan of sitting behind the wing...anxiety issues...and I am not bringing my emotional support peacock this time:rotfl2:. But, interestingly, if I ONLY wanted to upgrade the first leg, it would be $65...there is a "bundled" discount. I still might upgrade just that first leg, but then I feel like I would be disappointed on the second leg when we have to go back to the "regular" seats.

The CRJ overhead cannot fit most typical carry on sized bags. Only enough room for large purses, small duffles, laptop etc. They should gate check any of your carry on bags that won't fit free of charge. On most trips, they brought the carry on bags up to the ramp as we exited the plane so for those bags we did not have to go to baggage claim.

Delta often plays around with schedules. When they do, it happens on Saturdays. Delta frequent flyers (i.e. people who fly Delta every week) often joke about this fact. While the schedule changes are being made, the system may restrict the ability to select seats.

Since your trip is not until October, I strongly recommend doing absolutely nothing until Monday. There's a decent chance that the problem of lacking seats will have been fixed automatically.

As someone above me has already pointed out, Saturday is Delta's classic day to mess with things. I would also wait until Monday to make any final seat selections.

If you think you'd be more comfortable in Comfort Plus, then I'd go for it. I've only flown Comfort Plus twice, but the free drinks were nice. (Is Grand Rapids to Detroit a long enough route to have a beverage cart? You should still get a drink even if coach doesn't, but you might want to confirm that if you call back.)

For me the main reason to pick seats closer to the front of the plane is that you will also be that much closer to the door so you'll deplane earlier which will help for making your connection in Detroit.

You can gate check your roller bags for free at Grand Rapids. As somebody else said, Delta usually does that on the regional jets anyway as roller bags mostly won't fit overhead. When you gate check your bag, double check when you will need to retrieve it - once you exit the plane in Detroit or if the bag is checked through to Orlando.

Have a great trip!!

Of course...now I am considering upgrading to the Delta Comfort seats. It would be a total of $250 to upgrade the 3 of us for both legs (GRR-DTW and DTW-MCO). We could move up from row 13 to row 4 and on the DTW-MCO leg, we could move from row 30 to row 14. According to the description, we would have "SkyPriority boarding", dedicated overhead bin space and complimentary cocktails.

So, is this something that would be "worth it"??

Not worth it to me. You can buy a couple drinks on the plane or at the airport for $20. The flights aren’t anywhere near long enough for the bigger seats to be worth it (and on the small flight they likely won’t even have them).

I haven’t been allowed to gate check a bag *to be picked up at the gate* in YEARS. They always say they can only check it all the way through. No other option. On normal planes, that is (see below). And since you have a short layover, even if they did bring the bag up it’s going to delay you.

Pack so you can gate check and not need the bags until Orlando. If by chance it’s a different situation then that’s a bonus.

I’ve been on a small enough plane that we walked out bags out to the plane, put them on racks, boarded, the bags were loaded in the belly, then we did the reverse when we landed. Maybe that’s your situation. If so, there almost certainly will be nothing worth that $50 upgrade on the shorter flight.

I've been having the same issue, except on United thru Chicago. My October flight has already changed 4 times, and the seats have been lost each time.

My sister wants to upgrade to Economy plus for the extra room, and to get seats up front instead of what is now available in the back of the plane. I can't decide what to do either.

I'm interested in what you decide to do.

I fly with Delta at least once per month these days. I am able to gate check my bags on the regional jets all the time without issue. If they issue you a pink tag, you will pick the bag up in the jetway upon landing. If you get a full checked bag tag, it goes to baggage claim. They will tell you which one you are getting at the gate as well.

I would also not mess with the flight as it will probably change numerous times over the next few months. The one benefit is when they change your flight time, you have the option of booking another flight at no cost. So you could adjust your plans if needed.

As for Delta Comfort, the seats are the same, but you have more legroom. You'll also get SKY boarding which allows for you to potentially get overhead space before everyone else. This would benefit you on the longer leg with a bigger jet. The bin space is so small on the first leg that it doesn't really matter. You'll also get the free drinks and really that's about it. I wouldn't pay for Comfort on a short flight as there really isn't value in it. If you think a few extra inches of leg space will make a difference for you, then go for it. For a cheaper option you can buy a Sky Club Day Pass for $29/person. Free food and drinks in the lounge before the flight.

When I logged back in to check my confirmation and flight number, I saw that there was a new alert. Now, it shows that my flight has been changed. I knew that the time had been moved by an hour (later) but now it was asking me to accept those changes. That option was not there this morning when I looked. Once I accepted that change, it allowed me to pick my seats so now I am all set.

So, is this something that would be "worth it"?? We have a one-hour layover in Detroit so we shouldn't be so rushed that we must get off the plane first. I sometimes get a little anxious when I fly so I like to have a drink or 2 (I'm not driving and I drink responsibly) so the free cocktails, particularly on the 2.5 hour flight would be nice. If the seats are larger, that's even more of a bonus since I'm sure the girls will want to nap on the way. Is there that noticeable of a difference? I don't really want to pay $250 for a few drinks and a different spot on the plane, but if the seats themselves are actually nicer and the overall experience is better, then the money might be worth it.

We ONLY fly Comfort + - you have a dedicated line at the check-in desk, priority boarding, the things you described, and you are off the plane much faster than those behind you which cna be helpful for changing planes

I fly with Delta at least once per month these days. I am able to gate check my bags on the regional jets all the time without issue. If they issue you a pink tag, you will pick the bag up in the jetway upon landing. If you get a full checked bag tag, it goes to baggage claim. They will tell you which one you are getting at the gate as well.

I would also not mess with the flight as it will probably change numerous times over the next few months. The one benefit is when they change your flight time, you have the option of booking another flight at no cost. So you could adjust your plans if needed.

As for Delta Comfort, the seats are the same, but you have more legroom. You'll also get SKY boarding which allows for you to potentially get overhead space before everyone else. This would benefit you on the longer leg with a bigger jet. The bin space is so small on the first leg that it doesn't really matter. You'll also get the free drinks and really that's about it. I wouldn't pay for Comfort on a short flight as there really isn't value in it. If you think a few extra inches of leg space will make a difference for you, then go for it. For a cheaper option you can buy a Sky Club Day Pass for $29/person. Free food and drinks in the lounge before the flight.

The current fee for a guest pass when accompanying a Sky Club member is $29, a single visit pass when not a guest of a member is $59. Still cheaper than the upgrade to Comfort Plus, but a couple of drinks at the airport would be a lot cheaper.

Thanks for all of the replies. You guys are giving me a lot to think about. As far as the legroom goes, both DD15 and myself have very long legs. I'm only 5'7" and she is 5'8" , but we both have 35" inseams so legroom is a bit of a concern. On the shorter flight (smaller plane), we are both seated in aisle seats across from each other so we should be OK. On the longer flight (bigger plane), she is in the window seat and DD13 (5'3") is in the middle. The exit row is not an option since we have DD13 with us...she's too young...and neither of the girls are willing to sit apart from me voluntarily. I'm not terribly concerned about having to rush off of the plane to make our connection since we have an hour. A quick stop in the bathroom and a refill of our water bottles is all we should need before boarding the next flight. I know the terminal in Detroit is HUGE and we may have a trek to get from gate to gate, but as long as we are running on time (and that's the kicker!), we should be OK. Is paying to upgrade worth it to assure getting off the plane faster, knowing that we only have a 1-hour connection? Our DTW-MCO flight is the last flight of the night so we do not want to miss it.

I'm going to have to keep working on our luggage situation. We have 2 rolling carry-on bags (22x14x9) that we could check if needed. I would prefer to keep them with us all the way through to Orlando so that we can go straight to DME on arrival. If they won't fit in the overhead of the CRJ (and it looks like they won't) AND they will check them through to Orlando from the gate, then I will pack them as checked baggage and pay the fee to check them before I even go through security. I'll pack my laundry detergent and full-size toiletries and such instead of ordering them for delivery. If I do that, then I will have to change around which bags we bring on the plane with us.

The alcohol/snacks are not really a concern for the first leg since I don't know if they even have beverage service on a 56 minute flight. When we flew AirTran and did the Business Class upgrade, we were seated first and the flight attendants offered us a beverage while everyone else was boarding. Does Delta do anything like that? It's the only way I would think it possible to even get a drink on the first leg. I cannot even say for certain that I would get a drink on the second leg, but I like having it as an option.

I was reminiscing about AirTran and how nice it was to upgrade to Business Class for $69...big, leather seats, early boarding, alcoholic beverages, 2 free bags...you couldn't beat that deal! I did that upgrade every time without hesitation and when I compared it to Delta's price, Delta suddenly didn't seem too bad. AT was $69 vs Delta at $85...but then I remembered that AT also included 2 bags and Delta does not. That's a bummer! If they included even one bag, I would do it in a heartbeat. I guess if I don't check a bag, it won't matter anyways.

Ok, final question for you Delta frequent flyers...I know that at some point in time, Delta frequent flyers are eligible to upgrade to the Delta Comfort seats for free. So, I assume that at that point, the availability for the "no status" folks like me will likely disappear. How long can I wait before I need to make my final decision? Will the price change or will it stay the same? Is there any advantage to waiting until the day of the flight or perhaps even at the gate??

Thanks again...You guys are great!
:thanks::disrocks:

I know the terminal in Detroit is HUGE and we may have a trek to get from gate to gate, but as long as we are running on time (and that's the kicker!), we should be OK.

It's big, but very well designed. There is a tram and plenty of moving walkways. It may help to take a look at the Detroit (DTW) Airport website. Here's the information page for Connecting Passengers. Delta uses the MacNamara Terminal, which is the A, B, and C gates.

https://www.metroairport.com/guide/connecting-passengers

Is paying to upgrade worth it to assure getting off the plane faster, knowing that we only have a 1-hour connection?

The minimum connection time at DTW is 30 minutes. Essentially, that means the Delta believes the any connections that are 30 minutes or longer are logistically reasonable. That includes both passengers and baggage.

With a connection of an hour, I wouldn't pay the for seats solely to be closer to the front of the plane. (Paying for extra leg room is a different story.) Given that you're now on a smaller plane, you could be in the very last row and still be perfectly fine.

Ok, final question for you Delta frequent flyers...I know that at some point in time, Delta frequent flyers are eligible to upgrade to the Delta Comfort seats for free. So, I assume that at that point, the availability for the "no status" folks like me will likely disappear. How long can I wait before I need to make my final decision? Will the price change or will it stay the same? Is there any advantage to waiting until the day of the flight or perhaps even at the gate??

If eligible, elite-level frequent flyers can select Delta Comfort+ seats as soon as they book the ticket. In theory, a ton of elite flyers could book a ticket between now and your flight and take all those Comfort+ seats. In practice, however, I don't think that's going to happen. In most cases, there are more Comfort+ seats than there are people getting them for free and/or paying for them.

Also, as the flight gets closer, Delta will upgrade elite flyers into any open First Class seats. As those people will have (probably) been in Comfort+ seats, that process frees up previously taken seats. I haven't been elite for many years, so I can't tell you exactly when that process happens. My recollection is 48-72 hours. Hopefully, someone with more working knowledge will respond.

In the end, what's important is that I sincerely believe that you will have the option to pay for Comfort+ seats right up to the time of your flight. I also believe that Comfort+ pricing is based solely on flight time and location within the plane. It does not increase or decrease over time. The only advantage of booking well in advance is that you'll (probably) have a better selection.

-----
Question: Did your itinerary change move you from Delta to Delta Connection for your flight to DTW? Delta Connection is a regional carrier. If that happened, you may be able to change to other Delta flights (same day only) for free.

Sorry, but I don't care if Delta thinks 30 minutes is enough time at DTW. No way would I take that connection.

-----
Question: Did your itinerary change move you from Delta to Delta Connection for your flight to DTW? Delta Connection is a regional carrier. If that happened, you may be able to change to other Delta flights (same day only) for free.

Well, I think it went to a Delta Connection, but we are limited to what we can take since we are trying to avoid taking the girls out of school. Right now, there are only 4 flights that would work and we are currently scheduled on the "best" option. The other three options all depart at 6pm and connect through Atlanta. The one that lands at 10:31 (the closest to our current itinerary) has a 51 minute connection time. That feels very short to me, especially since I am not familiar with the Atlanta airport. I "connected" through there one time 10 years ago, and it turned out that the plane we got off was actually the same plane we were getting back on so we did not even need to go to a different gate. The other two options that connect through Atlanta land in Orlando at 11:30pm and 12:30am...neither of which would be preferred to the itinerary that we currently hold.

Sorry, but I don't care if Delta thinks 30 minutes is enough time at DTW. No way would I take that connection.

Agree!

I would never take a connection that is less than one hour.
I have one set up in Atlanta and would not chance it to switch plans in a 30 minute time period
I know the other poster has the connection in a different airport but still, 30 minutes is too scary for a busy airport

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter