Debt Dumpers - 2019

Crap just did the craziest impromptu thing.

I'm trying really hard not to do a really crazy impromptu thing too, I think. My goal was to kick all our credit card debt to the curb. We wanted a bunch of open accounts in good standing, very, very low balances. Small recurring purchases on autopay (think netflix, hulu, etc). I just got another high limit zero interest card for 18 months. 12K limit. I don't plan on transferring anything else over as I don't have anything else left to transfer (it's all ON a zero interest card already). We're looking to buy a house starting 2020. We should be paid off by August (taking taxes and bonuses into account). I was going to start pouring what we were paying on our cards to pay for the December trip (more than enough money and time to pay it, but all last minute, and I need to pay HDDR in June, worried about increasing ticket prices ahead of SWGE). I could technically just put this trip on the new card....but....do I WANT to?

@imbatman I am so sorry. My DH lost his Grandma on the third of this month. We just had her celebration of life yesterday. She too was a legend in her own right. We likened her to our very own Carol Burnett. A very very funny lady, who finally gets to rest after fighting lymphoma for 30 years. So I understand where you are right now. I am so so sorry, I hope you guys can find some peace :love::love: It is just a week <3

Disney World ticket question. My husband will have a larger check on February 1 so that is when we are planning on buying my nephew's tickets for our March trip. The difference between buying them through Disney and through my daughter's tickets at work discount thing is $50. Is it worth it to save $50? Any issues I should be aware of? When I logged into her tickets at work to check the price it allowed me to choose the dates of the trip so that is the same as Disney. I'm just always paranoid about going outside what we always do. Thanks!

ok, definate buyers remorse. Thank goodness for 24 hour cancellation policy :oops:
Edited to say Dh was like what?????? Are you having a crisis?

ok, definate buyers remorse. Thank goodness for 24 hour cancellation policy :oops:

I am the worst at impulse purchases but thankfully mine are material items that I can return and get my money back. I'm always anxious when I book a vacation.

I am the worst at impulse purchases but thankfully mine are material items that I can return and get my money back. I'm always anxious when I book a vacation.
Yes, this is why I need this group as whilst out of debt, I am not cured of impulse buying.
I tossed and turned ALL night. I knew it was a mistake. After out last trip we said from now on trips would be planned and in Premium Economy or Business Class so we started the points game.
I know it sounds bratty but Syd-Vancouver is a very long flight especially for somebody with a back injury.

4 x round trips to Vancouver for $4800 is a steal but lets face it, I still needed to find an extra $15K for everything else.

I'm trying really hard not to do a really crazy impromptu thing too, I think. My goal was to kick all our credit card debt to the curb. We wanted a bunch of open accounts in good standing, very, very low balances. Small recurring purchases on autopay (think netflix, hulu, etc). I just got another high limit zero interest card for 18 months. 12K limit. I don't plan on transferring anything else over as I don't have anything else left to transfer (it's all ON a zero interest card already). We're looking to buy a house starting 2020. We should be paid off by August (taking taxes and bonuses into account). I was going to start pouring what we were paying on our cards to pay for the December trip (more than enough money and time to pay it, but all last minute, and I need to pay HDDR in June, worried about increasing ticket prices ahead of SWGE). I could technically just put this trip on the new card....but....do I WANT to?

Well do not follow my example- hopeless!

Disney World ticket question. My husband will have a larger check on February 1 so that is when we are planning on buying my nephew's tickets for our March trip. The difference between buying them through Disney and through my daughter's tickets at work discount thing is $50. Is it worth it to save $50? Any issues I should be aware of? When I logged into her tickets at work to check the price it allowed me to choose the dates of the trip so that is the same as Disney. I'm just always paranoid about going outside what we always do. Thanks!
$50 isn't huge to save, but it's a little something. It sounds like the only thing it really takes away from you would be the control, since it's through her work program and not your usual way you do things as you said. How do the tickets get to you, would be my only concern if it were me, and when.
Well, if you're not comfortable and there's a free cancellation, maybe its not the right time. Or, will you all be able to still do it?

@imbatman sorry about that news!

So I went ahead and ordered the Elfa closet organizers for the basement pantry and my craft closet in the guest bedroom/sewing room. I was going to wait, but Container Store is having their 30% off Elfa sale, plus eBates was offering 12% cash back yesterday only. It just seemed too good. DH gave the green light, so I measured everything once I got home after work. Then I spoke with an Elfa designer and got everything created as I wanted it. I am pretty excited for both spaces. The pantry in our kitchen is pretty small, so this will more than double our pantry space. The pantry will have these cool units to hold cans.

1068444ElfaGlidingTierShelf18inWht_1.jpg pantry.png

And the craft closet should be plenty of room to store all of my fabric and sewing stuff. We ended up getting $150 back on the purchase from eBates. Total savings was almost $700.

craftcloset.png

So I went ahead and ordered the Elfa closet organizers for the basement pantry and my craft closet in the guest bedroom/sewing room. I was going to wait, but Container Store is having their 30% off Elfa sale, plus eBates was offering 12% cash back yesterday only. It just seemed too good. DH gave the green light, so I measured everything once I got home after work. Then I spoke with an Elfa designer and got everything created as I wanted it. I am pretty excited for both spaces. The pantry in our kitchen is pretty small, so this will more than double our pantry space. The pantry will have these cool units to hold cans.
I've never heard of the brand of closet organizer and it sounds like a well known one, but I learn something new every day. I use an IKEA standing wardrobe to double as a pantry, as I have hardly any kitchen cabinet space and a small closet that is the pantry.

I've never heard of the brand of closet organizer and it sounds like a well known one, but I learn something new every day. I use an IKEA standing wardrobe to double as a pantry, as I have hardly any kitchen cabinet space and a small closet that is the pantry.

I am a huge fan of the Elfa closet system. We have it in our laundry room, master bedroom and DD's closet. It was super easy for us to install ourselves, which saved us a ton of money. It is super sturdy and practical. They have a ton of options, which makes it great for all kinds of different spaces. I love that it is reconfigurable, so I can change around the hanging space as DD ages. And when we bought a new washer/dryer with pedestals, I was easily able to change the height of the shelves to accommodate the taller washer/dryer set. I cannot say enough good things about it. If/when we have baby #2, I plan to do the other bedroom closet using Elfa and eventually redo a less than functional hanging space hall closet to serve as a utility closet.

I figured this was a good place to ask for advice. I have a budget line item I have been carrying over since JULY 2018. It's from an Instacart order in the amount of $74.50. It authorized but never charged. The tip to the delivery person did charge. I have been a good little bee and carried this over every month to make sure if and when they decide to pull it, the money is there and I was not screwed over. It's getting annoying. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I ask my bank? Should I email Instacart? Should I carry it over on my budget for 5 years? Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys :worship:

I'm about to cry very happy tears. I found out this weekend that the site I'm ordering my wedding dress from is raising prices at the end of the month. I was planning on buying my dress with tax return, but I won't even begin to see that until February. My dress is going up almost $200, which is going to make it out of my price range. In despiration, I asked my parents if I could borrow the money to get it and repay them when my tax money comes in. My dad completely blindsided me and said he finally just got in a few stock checks from my grandfathers accounts (a year after he passed) and that he would BUY my dress for me with no repayment.

He then started asking about how much the wedding was going to cost. We're keeping it at about $15k as our final total, which I feel is a pretty reasonable amount for over 100 people. We fully anticipate paying for it ourselves. But he started to ask specific costs of things and mentioned "how much it's going to cost me" several times. Guys, I definitely did not plan on getting financial help for any of this at all and it was going to be tight to make it happen and the gift of the dress was just more than I could have asked for.

I figured this was a good place to ask for advice. I have a budget line item I have been carrying over since JULY 2018. It's from an Instacart order in the amount of $74.50. It authorized but never charged. The tip to the delivery person did charge. I have been a good little bee and carried this over every month to make sure if and when they decide to pull it, the money is there and I was not screwed over. It's getting annoying. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I ask my bank? Should I email Instacart? Should I carry it over on my budget for 5 years? Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys :worship:

I would write that off. They screwed up somewhere. Bonus for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter