Debt Dumpers - 2018

So yesterday I put a pork tenderloin in the crockpot before work with the intention of shredding it and having BBQ Pork sandwiches for dinner. When we got home it was dry as a bone and rock hard....BBQ Pork sandwiches are clearly out. Got on the computer to order from Food Dudes and I said to my husband "why are we ordering food in". We ended up eating leftovers and survived. We were pretty proud of ourselves for not eating out. Eating out is our kryptonite

So yesterday I put a pork tenderloin in the crockpot before work with the intention of shredding it and having BBQ Pork sandwiches for dinner. When we got home it was dry as a bone and rock hard....BBQ Pork sandwiches are clearly out. Got on the computer to order from Food Dudes and I said to my husband "why are we ordering food in". We ended up eating leftovers and survived. We were pretty proud of ourselves for not eating out. Eating out is our kryptonite

I had that same moment over the weekend. The ex came over to move stuff and he said let's go to lunch. I countered with there's plenty of food...let's do leftovers. He decided he didn't want anything and left, stopping at McDonald's. I had leftovers.

This was a big reason why we broke up.

BBQ sauce forgives many overcooked meats. :rotfl2:

BBQ sauce forgives many overcooked meats. :rotfl2:

I don't believe BBQ sauce could have resurrected this! I think the issue was it was a small tenderloin (My father in law had gotten it in a Butcherbox subscription) and I shouldn't have crockpotted it on a day it had to be in there so long.

Adding 2 things to our expenses over the next few months: race fees to run my first ever half marathon and DD(almost3)'s birthday fund. We are going to do a low key trip to build a bear, dinner with immediate family somewhere fun, ice cream, and maybe a trip to the Disney store for a new toy. We don't go all out for either kiddo because grandparents on both sides seem to spoil them both for birthdays and holidays.

July was a bit too spendy.

We bought the bike trailer for DD, plus a bike rack and hitch for DH's car so that we can go on biking trips. We love all of it and have already been on tons of rides, but it definitely wasn't cheap. Though we got the bike rack during an REI garage sale. Normal price would have been $688, but we got it for $335. Except for one little scratch, it was in perfect condition. And I was able to get the hitch plus installation from the VW dealership for just $340, which I think is probably a pretty good deal. Since these weren't really planned expenses, that meant that all of my extra per diem money from work trips plus everything that I sold on Facebook Marketplace over the past two months went towards the bike stuff. Which I guess isn't the worst thing, but I was planning other uses for that money.

And then DH decided he wanted a mountain bike, but didn't have the money to pay for it. We came up with a deal for him to "borrow" the money from another part of our budget and then pay it back over the next six months. He isn't doing super great with his more limited budget though because it is just the 8th and he has already blown through his entire allowance for August! But I will be reminding him of this for the rest of the month so that he doesn't get out of control.

We have gotten a little off track with our weekly budget meetings, so we have agreed to make a more concerted effort to do these. Though I am keeping on top of the finances using YNAB, I feel like in general we are going a bit astray from our usual budget concise ways. There was a little too much dining out last month. We had a budget meeting as well as a meeting to divide up household chores. We have never really done that before because we both just pitched in and did things as needed, but since DD was born, more of the stuff is just not getting done. I toyed with the idea of hiring a cleaning service once a month, but it isn't really in the budget right now, so we are just going to double down on doing stuff ourselves.

August is a 3 paycheck month for DH. I was originally planning to put it towards DH's citizenship application fees. The final payment for our cruise just came due, so almost all of that check went towards paying that final bill. I had thought we would have enough money saved to cover the cruise, but now we have plans for a labor day trip plus Disneyland in November. All of these trips are now pretty much covered though with the exception of meals. I just got our Disneyland tickets with Chase points. We are planning for all fast casual at Disneyland, so we are budgeting $100 per day which is probably more than we will need. And for our Labor Day weekend trip we plan to pack food in a cooler to cover several meals to keep costs down.

We have decided that instead of having a birthday party for DD, we will go to the zoo to celebrate her first birthday instead. And I am having a friend make her a smash cake plus zoo animal themed cookies for everyone else. Plus we will be having family pictures taken by another friend that did her newborn photos. I have already purchased the bulk of her birthday and Hanukkah gifts. Her big Hanukkah gift will be a balance bike. It just arrived yesterday and looks awesome.

Ugh, car service put us $725 in the hole yesterday. My car's AC has been acting up for 2 months and just randomly deciding it didn't want to blow cold air at the WORST possible times. We are having a lot of unusual heat and I just couldn't deal anymore. Also, my front passenger door lock kept getting stuck in the locked position and we wouldn't be able to open the door to get in or out. I also needed an oil change anyway, so I took the car in. The AC was simply in need of a freon top off, but the diagnostic of the system was $250. The lock actuator needed to be replaced, and then they discovered that my brake fluid needed to be replaced as well (it's never been done, to my knowledge, and my car has 80K miles so I told them to go ahead and do that as well. So, it added up to $725 when all is said and done. UGH! So much for putting extra down for our Disneyland APs later this month. I guess we will just put down our credit card reward dollars and finance the rest into monthly payments. I mean, I shouldn't complain. Last time I spent a significant amount of money on this car was 2 years ago, it's 11 years old, and I haven't had a car payment in over 8 years. Still sucks.

My kids have their annual eye exams coming up in a couple weeks and I am crossing my fingers that their prescriptions don't change, because I do not want to have to spend more money on new lenses. We will be getting better vision coverage on our insurance that will help cover glasses (right now it just covers exams once a year), but it doesn't take effect until November, so hoping we can wait until then if they do need new lenses.

I also stupidly bought some non HE laundry detergent the other day at Target and just realized it. Of course I don't have the receipt anymore, and I can't even do receipt look up using my credit card, because the CC I used is no longer active. Someone decided to charge $600 at Sea World fraudulently so they closed that account and reissued a new card number. Ugh. Now I have this huge bottle of detergent I can't use and can't return either. I might take it back to Target today and see if they will do a straight exchange. If they won't, I'll be out $20.

Adding 2 things to our expenses over the next few months: race fees to run my first ever half marathon and DD(almost3)'s birthday fund. We are going to do a low key trip to build a bear, dinner with immediate family somewhere fun, ice cream, and maybe a trip to the Disney store for a new toy. We don't go all out for either kiddo because grandparents on both sides seem to spoil them both for birthdays and holidays.
We are doing the same thing for our DD's 12 and 9...we allowed them to invite one friend each and we are taking them to dinner at Bertucci's. Both DD's also got a $100 gift card to Justice and a unicorn cake from Carlos' bake shop. I found a Groupon to a local arcade which we plan to use this weekend.

Decided we weren't going the party route. Too much money!

We are doing the same thing for our DD's 12 and 9...we allowed them to invite one friend each and we are taking them to dinner at Bertucci's. Both DD's also got a $100 gift card to Justice and a unicorn cake from Carlos' bake shop. I found a Groupon to a local arcade which we plan to use this weekend.

I love Bertucci's. Can I be the one friend?

Ugh, car service put us $725 in the hole yesterday. My car's AC has been acting up for 2 months and just randomly deciding it didn't want to blow cold air at the WORST possible times. We are having a lot of unusual heat and I just couldn't deal anymore. Also, my front passenger door lock kept getting stuck in the locked position and we wouldn't be able to open the door to get in or out. I also needed an oil change anyway, so I took the car in. The AC was simply in need of a freon top off, but the diagnostic of the system was $250. The lock actuator needed to be replaced, and then they discovered that my brake fluid needed to be replaced as well (it's never been done, to my knowledge, and my car has 80K miles so I told them to go ahead and do that as well. So, it added up to $725 when all is said and done. UGH! So much for putting extra down for our Disneyland APs later this month. I guess we will just put down our credit card reward dollars and finance the rest into monthly payments. I mean, I shouldn't complain. Last time I spent a significant amount of money on this car was 2 years ago, it's 11 years old, and I haven't had a car payment in over 8 years. Still sucks.

My kids have their annual eye exams coming up in a couple weeks and I am crossing my fingers that their prescriptions don't change, because I do not want to have to spend more money on new lenses. We will be getting better vision coverage on our insurance that will help cover glasses (right now it just covers exams once a year), but it doesn't take effect until November, so hoping we can wait until then if they do need new lenses.

I also stupidly bought some non HE laundry detergent the other day at Target and just realized it. Of course I don't have the receipt anymore, and I can't even do receipt look up using my credit card, because the CC I used is no longer active. Someone decided to charge $600 at Sea World fraudulently so they closed that account and reissued a new card number. Ugh. Now I have this huge bottle of detergent I can't use and can't return either. I might take it back to Target today and see if they will do a straight exchange. If they won't, I'll be out $20.

I would think you could take the detergent back and they'll give you store credit. Sorry about all the car issues. :(

My kids have their annual eye exams coming up in a couple weeks and I am crossing my fingers that their prescriptions don't change, because I do not want to have to spend more money on new lenses.

If they do, ask for their prescriptions and then buy them at Zenni.com. DH and I really didn't need to be shelling out several hundred on glasses this year, but I was able to get a complete pair, lenses and frames, for $12, and so was he. Bought them in Feb and so far both pairs have held up wonderfully, definitely can't complain. As far as the detergent, at the very least with a photo id they should do a store credit, I think. You might lose out a few bucks since I think they give you the cheapest price it's been in six months or something, but much better than being out for the whole bottle!

:( :( :( If our dates overlapped I was going to suggest a meet up. :) Maybe another time! I'm not sure how familiar you are with Disneyland (since I think your main park is WDW?), but if you have any questions just let me know! Disneyland is my home park (only live about 8 hours from Anaehim).

We have been once before, so we have at last a general familiarity with the parks. I am sad that the little kids area in California Adventure will already be closed when we go. Not sure what we will do with a 13 month old there now.

I keep seeing so many posts in my local mom groups about kids parties that just flop so bad. I think we're going to do the special trip/event thing for the girls permanently. And allow them each a friend to go do whatever it is the birthday kid wants to do (and yes, I'm crossing my fingers they want to go to Disney every year ). I'd rather put the money towards and experience instead of more stuff.

In other news, I'm in full purge mode today. I don't know what got into me, but I'm so itchy about needing to get rid of stuff. I just want to purge purge purge! It seems like slowly but surely, I'm getting rid of junk.

And in even more positive news: we are down to $1500 left on the truck loan! I can't wait to be done with it and use that money for other things, like our personal loans. On track to have them both gone by the end of the year.

I am SOOOOOO jealous of the Carlos Cake, although I would prefer to eat 10 lobster tails instead!

In other news, I'm in full purge mode today. I don't know what got into me, but I'm so itchy about needing to get rid of stuff. I just want to purge purge purge! It seems like slowly but surely, I'm getting rid of junk.

And in even more positive news: we are down to $1500 left on the truck loan! I can't wait to be done with it and use that money for other things, like our personal loans. On track to have them both gone by the end of the year.
Did that last week. Donated or threw away 6 bags of clothes.. made DH do it too... trying to convince my girls to do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter