DDP Causing Some Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, my family of 5 ate at the Italian restraunt in World Show case one night, and out total bill came to about $240! So we just used 5 TS vouchers and didnt have to pay a thing!

Now, the DDP for that day alone cost us $39.50 x 5 = approx $200. So for $200 we got a meal worth $240, plus 5 CS meals and 5 snacks! So I will also NOT BE APOLOGISING for using the DDP.

what is considered HIGH END TS ?? and does it really matter to Disney if you pay with DDP or Not ??? :confused3

The issue we are having (along with others that pay cash) is that people that would not normally dine at high end TS are booking like crazy and ressies for a last minute trips are almost impossible.

We don't "wing it"......it is nice to just say let's fly down this weekend. Our 10 days every year are reserved far in advance. Luckily we have now found a concierge that will accomadate us!!!!!

I'm sure it is nice to fly down for a weekend. :rolleyes1: That's winging it IMO. Your original post did not mention your 10 day trips where you reserved your ADRs in advance.

Glad your concierge could accommodate you.

Can't wait to use the DDP next time and make those ADRs! ;)

I (almost) believe that we are the only ones that do not participate in the DDP. The issue we are having (along with others that pay cash) is that people that would not normally dine at high end TS are booking like crazy and ressies for a last minute trips are almost impossible.

Has anyone else experienced this? When does this dining plan option come to an end? Why was this ever a good idea?

Hold back the flames it is an observation & a follow up to a conversation we had with cast members at CG as well as CG regulars.......The only place we didn't have a ressie issue was V&A's is that not part of DDP?
That is exactly why we and so many others use the dining plan. I hope it never comes to an end. I would suggest that maybe you try to get ressies as soon as you book your trip because it is Disney and I think they are always busy.
As far as the dining plan goes we love it for many reasons. However I think the best reason is that it allows to eat healthier while we are there. Another good reason is the $$$ it saves us. Not of all us can afford to go to a resturant like California Grill, Yatchsman steakhouse, or Le Cellier without it. Yes these were just 3 of the dinners we had in the last 12 days. My dh and I work hard all year so when we take a vacation we want to make the most of it and that included the DDP!
Once again I hope and pray they never take the DDP away!!!!!!!

This entire DDP in my opinion is ridiculous.

Ummm... why?

Lots of resorts do an "all-inclusive" kind of thing. The appeal isn't just saving money (though that is, of course, the main appeal), but also a more "care free" vacation. The meals are already paid for, all we have to do is enjoy!

Perhaps you're wealthy enough that you don't have to worry about a budget. Good for you!

Most people aren't that lucky, and they deserve a bit of Disney magic too.

I'm not sure why that's ridiculous.

I don't get why you think it is ridiculous too. To me it makes the most sense of anything! If you have to eat, and you want good food, why not use it?? I'm guessing it will NEVER end. Like I said before, Disney is now filling up there resturants, and knowing it ahead of time. Why would they end that? Obviously it is a hit with guests as well, since you can't seem to get in any resturants due to the fact "too many" people are on the plan.
I think you are pretty much alone on this thought.
10 years ago I read in a book that make sure to make your reservations early as popluar places fill up fast. so even then you had to do some planning if you wanted to go to a table service meal.

Like I stated earlier we book all ressies in advance for the 10 day trip. Also our conceirge now handles last minute dining for us.....This entire DDP in my opinion is ridiculous.

Ridiculous because YOU dont like it, even though it serves Disney and many, many others well?? Thats a shame. I would consider going elsewhere if I felt so strongly about something that I didn't like. That seems like a logical solution to your problem. Good luck.

Like I stated earlier we book all ressies in advance for the 10 day trip. Also our conceirge now handles last minute dining for us.....This entire DDP in my opinion is ridiculous.

While I don't agree that the DDP is ridiculous. I do agree that everything is booked up quicker & restaurants are more crowded. I have also found that frustrating. But I guess that means the DDP is working well for Disney anyway.
We don't use it, I prefer the DDE, since most of our dining is at TS rest. I also don't like having to worry about how many credits have we used etc... 20% off everything at TS works great for us!

We used the DDP in December and will use it again. Without it we would normally eat one TS anyway. Dining out is a part of our vacation time that we enjoy. With the DDP we can do what we would normally do anyway (and yes we are appetizer/entree/dessert folk when we dine out, not just because we are on the plan) and save some $$$. Who is going to pass that up?

What I loved most about the DDP was that practically all our food was paid for before we even left on the trip. For budgeting it worked out great. Plus my DH is not a fan of Disney and was not looking forward to the trip. Having most all our meals already paid for kept him from griping every time he had to pay the dinner bill. He never had to pull out the wallet and think about all the money the Mouse was sucking from it! So in that sense the DDP was priceless to me!

For our next trip in March 08 it is just the kids and I, DH is not going. We'll still do the DDP. It just makes it easier than having to bring cash and plan for meals. It will be all taken care of and we can just enjoy!

Allyson

While I don't agree that the DDP is ridiculous. I do agree that everything is booked up quicker & restaurants are more crowded. I have also found that frustrating. But I guess that means the DDP is working well for Disney anyway.
We don't use it, I prefer the DDE, since most of our dining is at TS rest. I also don't like having to worry about how many credits have we used etc... 20% off everything at TS works great for us!
As I stated earlier we LOVE the DDP! We hope they keep forever. Yes the resturants are fuller but we have never had any problems with the servers being rude or the food being cold. So as usual Disney is on top of things. The busier the resturant the more employees. There aren't any down sides to the DDP. We ate at some very nice and busy 2 point resturants and we felt like we were the only ones there.

We are annual passholders and I wish we could get the DDP. We get discounts with the pass but would prefer the option of being able to get the plan. We do several last minute trips a year, next week being the next one. We don't make any ressies in advance because they always are full. But we have never been turned down when we get there. Last minute cancellations happen all the time and we snatch them up. I would prefer the plan though, so hopefully they will give it to us annuals eventually.

Hold the flames!

I only scanned thru the post-and maybe someone commented

I often wonder about the ressies being clogged due to people holding mutible reservations for the same evening.- does it happen- is there a stop gap to keep it from happening?

I did feel pressure to make ressie ahead just in case we would not be able to get in- dining plan defintely impacts and there are alot of people to be fed!

I don't get why you think it is ridiculous too. To me it makes the most sense of anything! If you have to eat, and you want good food, why not use it?? I'm guessing it will NEVER end. Like I said before, Disney is now filling up there resturants, and knowing it ahead of time. Why would they end that? Obviously it is a hit with guests as well, since you can't seem to get in any resturants due to the fact "too many" people are on the plan.
I think you are pretty much alone on this thought.
10 years ago I read in a book that make sure to make your reservations early as popluar places fill up fast. so even then you had to do some planning if you wanted to go to a table service meal.

It was around 2x in the past and was ended so one can only wish!!!!!

To clarify we DO NOT walk up to TS restaurants expecting to be seated but for those of us who throw together a last minute get aways to Disney 4-6 times a year it is quit annoying. Plus they are going to start loosing people who actually pay for their meals....some flames back at you!

Are you looking to be flamed? Do you think the people that pay for DDP don't pay for their meals???
I just don't get the problem, I hardly ever book diners, I decide that morning and never have had a problem, not even for California Grill? I mayeat those words after next week, we have one meal planed, at Fulton's and only because the inlaws will be with us and want to head home by 9:00pm.

DDP or not we all have the same chance of getting or not getting a ressie at any of the restaurant. Who gives a hoot if we are on the ddp or paying out of pocket??? Disney doesn't...allowing all guest the chance to enjoy WDW at its best. My advice to OP if this is an issue for you just don't go to WDW anymore if you do not like the idea that some of us have to or choose to use the ddp.

Plus from my understanding of the DDP is the only way you can get it is if you stay onsite or are a DVC member. So people who may have usually stayed offsite might be persauded to stay onsite now just to get the DDP to experience even more Disney which means Disney is benefitting more with that too.

This is EXACTLY why I extended my on-site part of the vacation from 3 nights to 6! :thumbsup2

To clarify we DO NOT walk up to TS restaurants expecting to be seated but for those of us who throw together a last minute get aways to Disney 4-6 times a year it is quit annoying. Plus they are going to start loosing people who actually pay for their meals....some flames back at you!

Last i checked the dining plan wasn't free. So we are ACTUALLY paying for our meals too. Just differently than the way you are paying for them.

Last i checked the dining plan wasn't free. So we are ACTUALLY paying for our meals too. Just differently than the way you are paying for them.
FYI there is a $$$ difference......not that I posted this for that reason.

Are you looking to be flamed? Do you think the people that pay for DDP don't pay for their meals???
I just don't get the problem, I hardly ever book diners, I decide that morning and never have had a problem, not even for California Grill? I mayeat those words after next week, we have one meal planed, at Fulton's and only because the inlaws will be with us and want to head home by 9:00pm.
Your point is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter