DCL cruisers tried Royal...

We are Platinum with DCL so what I have to say isn't coming from someone without experience.
Once I got the nerve up to try RCL, it was a game changer. I was told so often that we would regret it that it took me years to try a different cruise line. I did not regret it. Our preference is to sail B2B, 14 days, as we have to fly into Florida anyways and we like longer stays. Sailing 14 days on an Oasis class ship was more often than not the cost of 7 on DCL.
We always bought a drink package. You do NOT have to carry a cup around to get a soda. You can walk into any of their bars and grab a soda with the drink package, no charge. If you walk into a bar on DCL and order a soda you will be charged. It is not included.
As for nickel and dimming, it's not much more than DCL does. Do you want a drink package? Other than a water package, DCL doesn't offer this so it's a bonus if you want it, if you don't just say no and move on. Do you want a dining package, they have a ton of specialty dining to choose from. Other than trying to get a reservation at Remy or Palo, DCL doesn't offer this so if you don't want it say no and move on. There is a charge for room service if you order anything other than a continental breakfast but we don't use room service on DCL so no biggy. It may be to someone who does utilize this service. There are things that you can purchase such as the Escape room but you don't have to purchase these either and it's not something DCL offers so is it really nickel and diming? What some call nickel and diming really isn't.
The cabins are only a few square feet smaller, it's not as much as everyone seems to think, however you can get a Jr. Suite and have lots of extra room and still pay way less than DCL. Our favorite is the Central Park balcony cabins. We can get ocean view on any ship but there is something magical with the Central Park balcony. Love to sit out in the evening with a glass of wine, watching the lights twinkle in the trees and soft music floating up. People dressed in evening wear going to dinner at one of the specialty restaurants. It really is soothing.
It took us a few cruises to find out that they have the buffet open for dinner on RCL, something we had always wished DCL did. The food in the main dinning rooms is okay but that's the same way we feel on DCL, but DCL doesn't really have a better option than the main rooms. Some of the post I have read here say the buffet is not very good, I disagree on that. They even have a noodle bar, which I love. Lots of choices and its an expansive buffet set in little island type bars. For us, we like the casualness of staying in shorts and shirts and dining when we want to, not when they want us to. Oh yes, RCL offers 'anytime dining' where you don't need to book a specific time, you can just show up. You may have to wait a few minutes but the option is there.
We've sailed out of Port Canaveral as well as Miami for RCL and have always entered through the Promenade so I'm not sure about others who spoke of entering other ways. The terminal at PC is absolutely gorgeous.
The adult only area on the Oasis class ships blows DCL adult only areas to bits. Amazing space. Their private islands, especially Coco Cay, are much better than Castaway Cay IMO. I find Castaway Cay rather boring and only get off the ship now to stretch our legs. Can't wait to try the new island. I like that Coco Cay has a pool as well as the ocean. They have a water park that you pay extra for but again, you don't need to say yes. I enjoy the fact that RCL has more than one larger pool to swim in. We always are able to find one that is near empty and have never had a problem finding chairs in the sun. That may have to do with the expansive adult only area, not sure. Never had a problem with the crew, they always seem nice. The shows are amazing! DCL shows are good but they are all the same. Stage productions. RCL has a water show, think Circ du Soleil, and an ice show that is unbelievable. They offer rock climbing and zip lining. Can't speak about the kids club, our children are adults now.
The one down side for us is that you need to check out the towels. Not a deal breaker but it is a bit of a pain.
Having said all this, you may think we don't like DCL. We do enjoy DCL. We sailed twice last year and have the Treasure booked for next Feb. My point is, we also like RCL, it's not as bad as some may think. To each our own. What I like you may not, what you like I may not. Just don't be scared to try something new because someone said it would be a mistake. RCL is different, that's all. It will not be what your used to but you may find you enjoy a bit of 'different' now and then.
JMO, some will agree, some will not. Whatever you decide will be right for you. Enjoy!
Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I preferred the Odyssey size and layout(not sure what class that is) over the Oasis class. I do agree with you about the central park balcony. I loved sitting out there with no wind. I used it more than any balcony I've ever used on a sailing.

I also agree with on the nickel and diming. Disney simply does not have the activities to charge you for. As far as specialty restaurants we did not try them. I did love the sports bar players. I kept thinking how fun it would be to be there on a NFL Sunday. It's really a great space.

The adult space the Solarium also blows away Disney's adult spaces.

I love Royal and DCL. In fairness we did not try Royal until our kids were teens. I didn't feel the kids clubs on Royal and their policies were a good fit for us. I can understand choosing DCL when your kids are young if the clubs are important.

The only thing I disagree with on is Coco Cay. I really wasn't impressed, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Anyone wanting to sail in Europe but DCL prices are out of reach. I would highly recommend Royal and even Carnival. European cruises are a not party cruises even on Carnival.

Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I preferred the Odyssey size and layout(not sure what class that is) over the Oasis class. I do agree with you about the central park balcony. I loved sitting out there with no wind. I used it more than any balcony I've ever used on a sailing.

I also agree with on the nickel and diming. Disney simply does not have the activities to charge you for. As far as specialty restaurants we did not try them. I did love the sports bar players. I kept thinking how fun it would be to be there on a NFL Sunday. It's really a great space.

The adult space the Solarium also blows away Disney's adult spaces.

I love Royal and DCL. In fairness we did not try Royal until our kids were teens. I didn't feel the kids clubs on Royal and their policies were a good fit for us. I can understand choosing DCL when your kids are young if the clubs are important.

The only thing I disagree with on is Coco Cay. I really wasn't impressed, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Anyone wanting to sail in Europe but DCL prices are out of reach. I would highly recommend Royal and even Carnival. European cruises are a not party cruises even on Carnival.
(ETA: sorry @DCLMP, I meant to reply to the post prior to yours!)

While I agree with your sentiment, I think that if people want to try other cruise lines than DCL, they should open their horizons to realize that there are other options than RCCL. You mention the expense of RCCL being cheaper than DCL, well, we find Carnival, Princess, and others to be a much better value as you don't feel like you have to purchase an "unlimited dining package" in order to get decent food. That's really my main beef with RCCL.

I would also say that sometimes it doesn't matter so much the line, as to which ship you are sailing. Someone sailing on Oasis OTS or Icon OTS is going to have a very different experience than someone on Grandeur OTS or Enchantment OTS. Someone on Sky Princess is going to have a very different experience than Grand Princess. Similarly, someone on Mardi Gras, Celebration, or Jubilee is going to have a VERY different experience than say the Elation or Paradise...

I would also say that if you aren't traveling with children, Virgin Voyages has become by far our favorite (though it doesn't help much if some of your party is under 18)...

(ETA: sorry @DCLMP, I meant to reply to the post prior to yours!)

While I agree with your sentiment, I think that if people want to try other cruise lines than DCL, they should open their horizons to realize that there are other options than RCCL. You mention the expense of RCCL being cheaper than DCL, well, we find Carnival, Princess, and others to be a much better value as you don't feel like you have to purchase an "unlimited dining package" in order to get decent food. That's really my main beef with RCCL.

I would also say that sometimes it doesn't matter so much the line, as to which ship you are sailing. Someone sailing on Oasis OTS or Icon OTS is going to have a very different experience than someone on Grandeur OTS or Enchantment OTS. Someone on Sky Princess is going to have a very different experience than Grand Princess. Similarly, someone on Mardi Gras, Celebration, or Jubilee is going to have a VERY different experience than say the Elation or Paradise...

I would also say that if you aren't traveling with children, Virgin Voyages has become by far our favorite (though it doesn't help much if some of your party is under 18)...
I totally agree. I think the ship is a huge factor. I totally agree with you about trying other lines besides Royal. We still cruise with a 19 year old. I try to stick with cruise lines that are going to have a family demographic or younger crowd.

@ray3127, thank you for your honest and balanced opinion! I completely relate, having just tried a new line last month and regretted almost every minute of it. While I did try to have an open mind and there were some (very few, but some) pros, it was definitely not enough to sway me away from my first favorite (Viking) and second (DCL) cruise lines and new cruise line is down in the cellar with another in the NEVER AGAIN category. A vacation should be relaxing and an escape and if it's not, for whatever reason, then who wants to pay hard earned money for it? Fortunately, everyone is different, opinions aren't wrong (except for my DH's who found NEW LINE equal to DCL 🤣 ...clearly he's wrong and outvoted!) and that's why there are so many choices. Hopefully you have a new DCL booked -or will soon :earsboy:.

This is very true. My family makes fun of me for checking out tonnes of videos to get a "feel" for a ship, but for me, that is what allows me to understand what I will see and what I can do onboard, and adjust my expectations accordingly.

Glad to stumble onto your review. We are deciding on a cruise for 2025 and almost just booked Royal but held off. I feel like we should try Royal but we have not yet— for all the reasons you listed. 2024 we are going on Princess (Alaska) and DCL Fantasy.

We were originally only DCL cruisers. We branched out around 2016 and tried Carnival, NCL, and Princess. New itineraries, better prices. 2023 we came back to DCL. Our 3 kids are now 14 to college aged. We barely drink alcohol and never gamble. College aged son also doesn’t drink and is very academically oriented. Other two kids— so far too young. We tend to read a lot on cruises. We loved— or rather the kids LOVED Carnival, much to our surprise. Also Princess. Hated NCL. If you ever try another line again, I recommend Carnival. Kids clubs are fabulous on Carnival. Less emphasis on screens, more on playing games. Employees working in the kids clubs on Carnival are really wonderful. I hate to say it but better than DCL. And dcl kids clubs are great. Not sure about the older teen clubs on Carnival— ours have not used them. Carnival also has most things included, except soft drinks and a couple of restaurants which are easily avoided like on dcl. But you are allowed to bring 12 packs of coke onto carnival ships. Might even be 2 per person. I’m not sure. We usually bring 2 total for the week. You won’t be alone. When you board a Carnival ship you see many people carrying packs of coke, even many kroger brand like us lol. I think you can bring alcohol too. We’ve never done it. The vibe on Carnival is really positive. It is the fun ship lol. Their shows are garbage, however. We are not big on shows so this doesn’t bother us. But they have great comedians and lots of fun activities. Crafts, trivia, afternoon tea, etc. The food is pretty good but we aren’t serious foodies so I’m a bad judge on this. We are not blown away by any food. I don’t find Palo to be anything special. I’m like Jerry Seinfeld is any restaurant really better than a poptart? Carnival also leaves out of some pretty great ports year round: New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston, Tampa, and more. Miami sucks but we do sail out of Miami sometimes because it’s the only way to get to the ABC islands— Carnival has a few great cruises that go that way. But FYI, the absolute worst port is Fort Lauderdale, at least in our experience. Takes FOREVER and some of the “at port” parking is miles away.

Princess is also nice— most things included except coke and a couple of restaurants again. But they don’t have as many good itineraries for us. They do a lot of longer “world” type cruises. Nice kids clubs but lots of video games. But Princess is DH’s favorite line— awesome buffet and pristine like Disney. Everything low key. Shows are garbage again, and not many extra activities that draw us but very relaxing cruise line. Excellent staff.

I know a lot of people like NCL, but we found them to be a hassle. You have to register for everything— shows, comedians, dinner etc. it also felt like everything was an upcharge and that there were people always trying to sell. No thanks. I also felt like NCL was not kid friendly. Every time we went to the kids club, it was closed, or had a massive line, or had reached max limit (what?!). Basically the one time our kids went in they said it was like school and didn’t want to go back lol. Also all the fun activities our kids wanted to do on the top deck were also always closed. Even though they were supposed to be open. You would go and no one would be there. So bizarre. Beautiful ship though.

So it was great being back on dcl last year— I am with you on dcl. Kids loved Vibe. Only downside was the buffet for dh. He hates how tight Disney is with the food lol. Not open at dinner and limited hours for breakfast and lunch. Otherwise DCL is very relaxing which we love. But don’t give up on better prices, and if you ever want to go anywhere exotic, DCL just isn’t worth it IMO. The reason we first branched out was to go to the southern Caribbean.
If you do try another line with your family I would read some on cruise critic. Depending on what’s important to you, the ship and departure port can make a big difference on other cruise lines.

Oh one other thing is that carnival corp has is amazing private beaches if you really like beaches. Half moon cay is incredible. Thanks again for the feedback on Royal. I think we will skip it.

Glad to stumble onto your review. We are deciding on a cruise for 2025 and almost just booked Royal but held off. I feel like we should try Royal but we have not yet— for all the reasons you listed. 2024 we are going on Princess (Alaska) and DCL Fantasy.

We were originally only DCL cruisers. We branched out around 2016 and tried Carnival, NCL, and Princess. New itineraries, better prices. 2023 we came back to DCL. Our 3 kids are now 14 to college aged. We barely drink alcohol and never gamble. College aged son also doesn’t drink and is very academically oriented. Other two kids— so far too young. We tend to read a lot on cruises. We loved— or rather the kids LOVED Carnival, much to our surprise. Also Princess. Hated NCL. If you ever try another line again, I recommend Carnival. Kids clubs are fabulous on Carnival. Less emphasis on screens, more on playing games. Employees working in the kids clubs on Carnival are really wonderful. I hate to say it but better than DCL. And dcl kids clubs are great. Not sure about the older teen clubs on Carnival— ours have not used them. Carnival also has most things included, except soft drinks and a couple of restaurants which are easily avoided like on dcl. But you are allowed to bring 12 packs of coke onto carnival ships. Might even be 2 per person. I’m not sure. We usually bring 2 total for the week. You won’t be alone. When you board a Carnival ship you see many people carrying packs of coke, even many kroger brand like us lol. I think you can bring alcohol too. We’ve never done it. The vibe on Carnival is really positive. It is the fun ship lol. Their shows are garbage, however. We are not big on shows so this doesn’t bother us. But they have great comedians and lots of fun activities. Crafts, trivia, afternoon tea, etc. The food is pretty good but we aren’t serious foodies so I’m a bad judge on this. We are not blown away by any food. I don’t find Palo to be anything special. I’m like Jerry Seinfeld is any restaurant really better than a poptart? Carnival also leaves out of some pretty great ports year round: New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston, Tampa, and more. Miami sucks but we do sail out of Miami sometimes because it’s the only way to get to the ABC islands— Carnival has a few great cruises that go that way. But FYI, the absolute worst port is Fort Lauderdale, at least in our experience. Takes FOREVER and some of the “at port” parking is miles away.

Princess is also nice— most things included except coke and a couple of restaurants again. But they don’t have as many good itineraries for us. They do a lot of longer “world” type cruises. Nice kids clubs but lots of video games. But Princess is DH’s favorite line— awesome buffet and pristine like Disney. Everything low key. Shows are garbage again, and not many extra activities that draw us but very relaxing cruise line. Excellent staff.

I know a lot of people like NCL, but we found them to be a hassle. You have to register for everything— shows, comedians, dinner etc. it also felt like everything was an upcharge and that there were people always trying to sell. No thanks. I also felt like NCL was not kid friendly. Every time we went to the kids club, it was closed, or had a massive line, or had reached max limit (what?!). Basically the one time our kids went in they said it was like school and didn’t want to go back lol. Also all the fun activities our kids wanted to do on the top deck were also always closed. Even though they were supposed to be open. You would go and no one would be there. So bizarre. Beautiful ship though.

So it was great being back on dcl last year— I am with you on dcl. Kids loved Vibe. Only downside was the buffet for dh. He hates how tight Disney is with the food lol. Not open at dinner and limited hours for breakfast and lunch. Otherwise DCL is very relaxing which we love. But don’t give up on better prices, and if you ever want to go anywhere exotic, DCL just isn’t worth it IMO. The reason we first branched out was to go to the southern Caribbean.
If you do try another line with your family I would read some on cruise critic. Depending on what’s important to you, the ship and departure port can make a big difference on other cruise lines.

Oh one other thing is that carnival corp has is amazing private beaches if you really like beaches. Half moon cay is incredible. Thanks again for the feedback on Royal. I think we will skip it.
I think you would like Royal especially a newer ship. I wouldn't make a decision based on one review. There are plenty of positive reviews. I like Carnival too and NCL. I don't care about shows or activities. I think all cruise food is step above edible. The poolside food on Carnival and Royal were better. The buffet on Royal was better. The Wish does have some decent pool food.
I actually don't mind the towel situation on Royal and Carnival. Since you have to turn in your towel. You don't find dirty towels laying everywhere and you know what chairs are open for use.

I think you would like Royal especially a newer ship. I wouldn't make a decision based on one review. There are plenty of positive reviews. I like Carnival too and NCL. I don't care about shows or activities. I think all cruise food is step above edible. The poolside food on Carnival and Royal were better. The buffet on Royal was better. The Wish does have some decent pool food.
I actually don't mind the towel situation on Royal and Carnival. Since you have to turn in your towel. You don't find dirty towels laying everywhere and you know what chairs are open for use.
I guess the big turn off is the add on cost. I don’t like how there are so many extra pay restaurants and activities. It would be fine for me and my husband. We would just avoid them. But it is a pain having to tell teenagers no all the time. Exhausting. I’m not really sure why it bothers me so much because it may not even be that much money. I just don’t like thinking about being a constant consumer. I’d rather not be reminded of money the entire vacation lol. I haven’t counted but it seems like on NCL there are more extra pay activities/food than not. Royal seems the same. That 50% feeling is the tipping point for me. Carnival, Princess, and dcl all have extra pay activities but they are still in the minority of activities. The Royal ships do look spectacular though.

We also don’t mind the towel situation. On carnival they give out “free” ones at the ports. You can get one on deck any time too. And we’ve never been charged at the end of the cruise for not having a towel in our room. I think Princess just gives them out on deck like Disney.

But it is a pain having to tell teenagers no all the time. Exhausting.
Preach.

Personally, I don't think it's worth paying extra for any specialty dining on any of the ships. Royal, Disney, Princess, whoever.

On Royal specifically, I will say that Chops and Giovanni's are good, but Chops' steaks are about the level of The Keg here in Canada (don't know what the US equivalent is) but the price is closer to Ruth's Chris level. Giovanni's is Italian food and Izumi is Japanese. I think in the case of all three you're better off finding a good local restaurant and eating there.

RE The Points Guy article about ship food - I will never sail on Carnival again, but the food the one time I did was pretty great. Not fancy but tasty.

We also don’t mind the towel situation. On carnival they give out “free” ones at the ports. You can get one on deck any time too. And we’ve never been charged at the end of the cruise for not having a towel in our room. I think Princess just gives them out on deck like Disney.
I'm curious what it is about Royal you think you wouldn't like. It seems like with your diverse cruise history it would be comparable to what you've done.

Sorry I see you answered that in another post. My kids never did the add-ons. Since the cruise was thousands less than Disney I really wouldn't have cared if they did. Since Disney doesn't have that stuff they were used to not doing it. They did do some of them for free like laser tag and wave rider because it was a teen club activity and they were not charged.

Last edited:
Preach.

Personally, I don't think it's worth paying extra for any specialty dining on any of the ships. Royal, Disney, Princess, whoever.

On Royal specifically, I will say that Chops and Giovanni's are good, but Chops' steaks are about the level of The Keg here in Canada (don't know what the US equivalent is) but the price is closer to Ruth's Chris level. Giovanni's is Italian food and Izumi is Japanese. I think in the case of all three you're better off finding a good local restaurant and eating there.
We always dine at Palo because it's free. I'm sure if you have status on other lines some of those might be free or discounted. I would not pay for Palo either.

What activities on RCCL are people paying for that they feel nickel and dining them and having to tell the kids no to? The rock climbing, bumper cars, etc are all included. There are plenty on non paid food options. The only thing would be soda, which can be cheaper and better if you order a can at meals instead of the unlimited mug. Perfect Day is the only extra expense I can really think of.

RE The Points Guy article about ship food - I will never sail on Carnival again, but the food the one time I did was pretty great. Not fancy but tasty.
I’m sure you must have had an interesting experience, but if I may ask, did you sail one on of the new CCL ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee)? IMHO, they are very different from what came before…
What activities on RCCL are people paying for that they feel nickel and dining them and having to tell the kids no to? The rock climbing, bumper cars, etc are all included. There are plenty on non paid food options. The only thing would be soda, which can be cheaper and better if you order a can at meals instead of the unlimited mug. Perfect Day is the only extra expense I can really think of.
I still come back to Johnny Rockets being $15 when on Carnival, thing like that (Guy’s Burger’s, Blue Iguana, Shaq’s Big Chicken, etc.) are complimentary.

Our last RCCL cruise was on Independence OTS, and our included options were Windjammer(meh), Sorrento’s (meh), Promenade Café (yuck), or the MDR (double meh), but there were plenty of for-pay options, even for casual food, such as the aforementioned Johnny Rockets, the fish and chip place, and Playmakers who all wanted to charge you extra for fast-food…

I agree. There are a few things that I think have a charge, but not that much. My son and I spent 12 days on odyssey and the only thing we paid extra for was Players sports bar food which was good and cheap.

I've never gotten the whole soda thing. My kids have never had a soda and they are 19 and 21. I like a diet coke once in a while, but I go weeks without having one at home. I can certainly do it on a cruise. I do enjoy a good adult beverage...I won't deny that, but that's not included on any cruise line.

I’m sure you must have had an interesting experience, but if I may ask, did you sail one on of the new CCL ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee)? IMHO, they are very different from what came before…

I still come back to Johnny Rockets being $15 when on Carnival, thing like that (Guy’s Burger’s, Blue Iguana, Shaq’s Big Chicken, etc.) are complimentary.
We did one Carnival sailing on the Vista in the med. It was new and the food was very, very good.

Johnny Rockets kind of sucked on Royal. I think it sucks on land too. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I would love to cruise on one the Carnival ships you mentioned above. I'm just so done with the Caribbean. I wish Carnival would launch a new ship in Europe again.

We did one Carnival sailing on the Vista in the med. It was new and the food was very, very good.

Johnny Rockets kind of sucked on Royal. I think it sucks on land too. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I would love to cruise on one the Carnival ships you mentioned above. I'm just so done with the Caribbean. I wish Carnival would launch a new ship in Europe again.
If I don't cruise DCL in Europe, my choice there is Princess (or probably Virgin)

If I don't cruise DCL in Europe, my choice there is Princess (or probably Virgin)
I cruise with a young adult 19. My son had a blast in the 18-20 society last Summer in Europe. I think when it's just my husband and I we'll do things like South America, Asia and try some of the higher end cruise lines.

I'm taking my son to Alaska on DCL this Summer. I assume someday he'll get sick of traveling with us.. or not. He has a million friends, but he loves to travel... even if he's stuck with his parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter