David Cassidy in Critical Condition

We are a little younger than him (DH is 55), but DH was telling DS22 about how crazy drugs and drug use were in the '70s and how many people may have used then, but "grew out of it" (aka became responsible adults). So sad to think of those who did not, like David Cassidy.

RIP :(

Terri

RIP David. Thanks for the music and my schoolgirl crush memories. :lovestruc

David had so much baggage-divorced parents, young celebrity, exposure and availability to whatever he wanted all led to this.

Add to that, his father, actor, Jack Cassidy was jealous and bitterly, bitterly scathing about David's success. He said it wasn't a "real" success as David didn't get doing Broadway. And he didn't deserve the fame. A parent doing that, alone, would drive someone to drink & drug. But, I had read, his father was also an alcoholic, one of the reasons Shirley Jones divorced him. So David was predisposed to alcoholism and addictions.

From what I've read he had a very hard time finding a consistent groove in life after his early mega-success. It's a sad life story, really.

Actress, Anna Kendrick once told another actor, (I forget who,) that celebrities and famous people do not show up at your door one day and hand you a manual on how to handle sudden fame and success. David had such mega-stardom, at such a young-ish age. There was probably no one he could talk to about it. :(

So sad....:(
I also am one that had a crush on him......I'm only a few years younger

:( RIP David. I was another one who had a crush on him when I was younger. He will be missed

RIP David. Thanks for the music and my schoolgirl crush memories. :lovestruc

Add to that, his father, actor, Jack Cassidy was jealous and bitterly, bitterly scathing about David's success. He said it wasn't a "real" success as David didn't get doing Broadway. And he didn't deserve the fame. A parent doing that, alone, would drive someone to drink & drug. But, I had read, his father was also an alcoholic, one of the reasons Shirley Jones divorced him. So David was predisposed to alcoholism and addictions.

Actress, Anna Kendrick once told another actor, (I forget who,) that celebrities and famous people do not show up at your door one day and hand you a manual on how to handle sudden fame and success. David had such mega-stardom, at such a young-ish age. There was probably no one he could talk to about it. :(

Didn't Jack Cassidy get drunk and kill himself by starting a fire with a cigarette.

Didn't Jack Cassidy get drunk and kill himself by starting a fire with a cigarette.

Yes, it is believed he either fell asleep or passed out drunk with a lit cigarette and set his apartment (and the whole building) on fire. I actually remember when it happened. He was only 49 years old and was burned so badly they had to identify his body by dental records.

I never heard that he was jealous of his own son(s), as pp mentioned, but if true, that's really sad. FYI, one of his grandsons (Patrick Cassidy's son) is presumably named after him. The young Jack Cassidy is trying to start a career as a singer and appeared earlier this year on The Voice.

I read in an obit hat David refused Susan Dey's advances when they were starting out on PF because he liked "slutty" girls (his words) and she didn't project that image.

Yes, it is believed he either fell asleep or passed out drunk with a lit cigarette and set his apartment (and the whole building) on fire. I actually remember when it happened. He was only 49 years old and was burned so badly they had to identify his body by dental records.

Yes, that was it. I was too tired to Google confirm what I remember of the exact situation for Jack Cassidy's death last nite.

I never heard that he was jealous of his own son(s), as pp mentioned, but if true, that's really sad.

I saw an interview of David saying this decades ago. So it unfortunately wasn't just a rumor that might not be true. :( Talk about messing someone up. :headache: :sad2: That's why David tried so hard after the Partridge Family to do "serious" TV roles, instead of sticking with his pop/bubblegum image. And why his first album, "Cherish," wasn't as bubblegummy. But, he could never really shake that pop/bubblegum image even though he did get acclaim for one serious role. No one else would hire him. Being un-hireable, that's when his downward spiral of depression started. He went from super-famous, filming the PF during the week, then doing concerts on weekends for screaming fans, to un-hireable and not taken seriously in his industry. :(

I saw an interview of David saying this decades ago. So it unfortunately wasn't just a rumor that might not be true. :( Talk about messing someone up. :headache: :sad2:

Wow, that's awful. How many parents don't support their child's ambitions? Not sure of the timing when his brother Shaun also became a teen idol; I wonder if it was the same for him?

That's why David tried so hard after the Partridge Family to do "serious" TV roles, instead of sticking with his pop/bubblegum image. And why his first album, "Cherish," wasn't as bubblegummy. But, he could never really shake that pop/bubblegum image even though he did get acclaim for one serious role. No one else would hire him. Being un-hireable, that's when his downward spiral of depression started. He went from super-famous, filming the PF during the week, then doing concerts on weekends for screaming fans, to un-hireable and not taken seriously in his industry. :(

Yes, I can imagine how it would be difficult for him. Donny Osmond has said similar things about his life, but I think he managed to have more success in later years than DC.

I was at a Beach Boys concert in the early 90's and David Cassidy was the opening act. It was a pleasant surprise for me, and I and others sang along to the PF songs we knew. But other people were heckling him, calling him a has-been and booing. So rude and disrespectful. It was terrible, I felt so bad for him. :worried:

What was the cause of death? I know he was suffering from dementia, but what caused the organ failure?

I'd heard the comment that he wasn't attracted to Susan Day because she wasn't slutty. But Susan had a big crush on him for the duration of the series and he wasn't aware of it until Shirley Jones, towards the end of the show, told him something like "Don't you see that she's in love with you?". They slept together once after that. For him, it was a one night thing, but she was in love and was hurt that it didn't lead to anything more. They didn't speak for years, until Susan's LA Law days.

Wow, that's awful. How many parents don't support their child's ambitions? Not sure of the timing when his brother Shaun also became a teen idol; I wonder if it was the same for him?

Yes, I can imagine how it would be difficult for him. Donny Osmond has said similar things about his life, but I think he managed to have more success in later years than DC.

I was at a Beach Boys concert in the early 90's and David Cassidy was the opening act. It was a pleasant surprise for me, and I and others sang along to the PF songs we knew. But other people were heckling him, calling him a has-been and booing. So rude and disrespectful. It was terrible, I felt so bad for him. :worried:

Donny and his siblings also had an incredibly supportive family plus their faith. That probably really helped them get through issues that others like David suffered.

How awful! People suck.

I don't think Jack Cassidy was a good father to David by any means, but I'm not sure if Jack was quite as jealous of him as David thought. Years ago, I saw an interview where David talked about his father and Shirley visiting him at a concert. Girls were going crazy, rushing the stage, etc. Jack said something about how terrible the concert scene was. As far as David was concerned, Jack was criticizing him and was jealous. A few years later, I heard Shirley Jones describe the same visit to the concert and in her opinion, Jack was worried about David's safety. Two different people had two very different opinions of the conversation.

Obviously, since I didn't know either of them, I have no idea who was right, but I just thought it was very interesting that they didn't have the same impression of the conversation.

What was the cause of death? I know he was suffering from dementia, but what caused the organ failure?

I'd heard the comment that he wasn't attracted to Susan Day because she wasn't slutty. But Susan had a big crush on him for the duration of the series and he wasn't aware of it until Shirley Jones, towards the end of the show, told him something like "Don't you see that she's in love with you?". They slept together once after that. For him, it was a one night thing, but she was in love and was hurt that it didn't lead to anything more. They didn't speak for years, until Susan's LA Law days.
As far as I know Susan hasn't spoken to him since his book came out detailing their one night stand. He even wrote her an apology to which she never responded.

As far as I know Susan hasn't spoken to him since his book came out detailing their one night stand. He even wrote her an apology to which she never responded.

They made up.

upload_2017-11-22_18-31-12.jpeg

upload_2017-11-22_18-32-33.jpeg

images

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter