DAS Pass for Anxiety

PollyMroz

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

I feel like similar questions have been asked but I wanted to get some clarity / ask some experts on the below:

1) I have severe anxiety and when I'm in a congested area / around a lot of people I start to hyperventilate and get bad vertigo. I can take medication for this but it makes me super groggy and sleepy, to the point where I feel like I would fall asleep on the dark rides. I just want to check if it would be appropriate for me to use the DAS Pass. I will say I went to Disney without it a few years ago and skipped most of the big rides while my family stood in line so this sounds like a dream, but I dont want to abuse the purpose.

2) If it is appropriate for me to use this, what do I need to provide Disney to get this benefit. I have my various prescriptions for anxiety meds but dont have a doctors note. Do I need to get one?

3) How does the process work once you actually have the pass. Im thinking of how this will impact the people I am traveling with. Do you use this in conjunction with Genie+? Are there rides where the DAS pass is unavailable for? Have you had issues getting on the more popular rides?

The first post of this thread has details about registering and using DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...genie-post-one-is-an-updated-summary.3849395/

You can either connect by video chat with Disney up to 30 days prior to your trip, or wait until you arrive. Either way, no documentation is needed, just explain how your anxiety impacts your ability to wait in a standard queue.

As for using DAS, it can be used with Genie+ and/or I$LL. The DAS tile will appear once you are in the park. You can obtain a DAS Return Time in the app or at an attraction or blue umbrella. The go to the attraction anytime after the Return Time.

I have very bad anxiety, I hyperventilate and cry. Occasionally I pass out if I can’t center myself and work through my breathing counts. I have reached out to Disney about a few things, because I have such bad anxiety and will create situations before they even arise. The last chat was about a crowd concern and how cast members assist if you need to leave a line. The chat cast member sent me a link for the das pass registration when my 30 day window arises. I’ll be honest I do feel a little bit like a failure as a parent that I act like more of a child then my children do but I don’t want to ruin their trip if I can avoid it. Disney is a bubble for me but during our march 2020 trip I realized the bubble isn’t anxiety proof. It was bad. I haven’t decided if I’m going to apply for it because I’m kind of embarrassed and sad about it. But since I never even asked about it I would definitely reach out to them. Especially if it can make you feel a little better. Good luck to you. Have a wonderful trip.

My daughter has bad anxiety, especially while waiting in line for "big" rides. She hypes herself up to the point of getting sick...
I saw on another post that anxiety is no longer a covered condition under DAS. She said that she called to pre-register for her panic attacks while in line with lots of people, and they said no!

Hi there. I’m sorry she goes through that. Anxiety is quite impactful to a persons life and is considered a disability in some circumstances. I don’t know a whole lot about DAS pass I only began researching it because the cast member sent me the registration link. Here is the info I found through the Disney site https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ilities-services/WDW_Cognitive_Guide_2021.pdf she can also talk to guest services about it in the park too. I hope she has a good trip and from the little I know I think the das pass guests still stand In the lightening lane so she could probably just get genie + maybe. That’s my plan if I don’t feel comfortable or I’ll just ride tea cups and dumbo all day at magic kingdom 😂

I saw on another post that anxiety is no longer a covered condition under DAS. She said that she called to pre-register for her panic attacks while in line with lots of people, and they said no!
That is incorrect. DAS is not diagnosis-based, it is need-based. Your daughter should explain her needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment. Don't just say "I have anxiety."

The first post of THIS THREAD explains about DAS.

Hi All!

I feel like similar questions have been asked but I wanted to get some clarity / ask some experts on the below:

1) I have severe anxiety and when I'm in a congested area / around a lot of people I start to hyperventilate and get bad vertigo. I can take medication for this but it makes me super groggy and sleepy, to the point where I feel like I would fall asleep on the dark rides. I just want to check if it would be appropriate for me to use the DAS Pass. I will say I went to Disney without it a few years ago and skipped most of the big rides while my family stood in line so this sounds like a dream, but I dont want to abuse the purpose.

2) If it is appropriate for me to use this, what do I need to provide Disney to get this benefit. I have my various prescriptions for anxiety meds but dont have a doctors note. Do I need to get one?

3) How does the process work once you actually have the pass. Im thinking of how this will impact the people I am traveling with. Do you use this in conjunction with Genie+? Are there rides where the DAS pass is unavailable for? Have you had issues getting on the more popular rides?
To be honest, you can explain what your experience are and how does anxiety impair your ability to wait in line. You do not need to go to the doctor and get paperwork and documentation is not required and cannot legally be required according to ADA law. DAS is based on genuine need and not based on what you are diagnosed with. I feel that based on what you mentioned, the DAS would be appropriate. Just stating you have anxiety, autism, etc wouod be insufficient. The best thing is to tell the cast members during the chat exactly what you wrote in your post here on excerpts number 1. You can even type it out and print it on a sheet of paper and read it to the cast member during the interview. I would definitely recommend doing the virtual chat so you can take advantage of pre-booking two return times per day in advance.

Last edited:

I have used DAS on our last two trips due to what happens to me when I get anxious - ambulance ride to the ER in Celebration was not my favorite ride 3 trips ago - and it has made the parks more manageable for me. I did have to leave a longer LL queue on our last trip (and ended up throwing up in the nearest bathroom) but that was the only queue issue I have had with DAS. As previous posters have stated, you need to be able to explain what happens when you get anxious in line. "Luckily" for me, Disney has a lovely record of my shuttle trip to urgent care from HS, and the above-mentioned ambulance ride. I believe the response from both CMs was "oh yeah" as I described the situation and they looked up my info on their computers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter