• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

They could have done many things: limit DAS per day, double the wait time, offered alternative accommodations and said current DAS holders can discuss their future with a cast member, required medical documentation, etc. Instead they just said you are out, you may crawl back but we'll let you know AFTER your paid in full date. At best that is terrible customer service, at worst it is a deliberate slap in the face to loyal customers.

• Limit DAS per day -- meaning what? How many attractions? Or only specific attractions? Or how many DAS "passes" will be given out each day, therefore limiting how many DAS guests can be in the park each day? I'm not sure any of those is legal.
  • Alternative accommodations -- isn't that what is proposed now to start May 19th?
  • Current DAS holders can discuss their future with a cast member -- again, exactly what is happening
  • required documentation -- this has been discussed in numerous posts and Disney opted not to go this route, likely for various reasons
I haven't seen anything say "you are out, you may crawl back" in any way, shape or form.

DAS has never been approved prior to 30-days before arrival, nor has it ever been guaranteed for a renewal. Until Oct. 2021 (just 2.5 yrs ago) DAS was only available onsite after you arrived.

But DISNEY is saying if you can’t Waite on line for a hour.. you must buy Genie +. At some major price x amount of people in your party to not Waite on line

But DISNEY is saying if you can’t Waite on line for a hour.. you must buy Genie +. At some major price x amount of people in your party to not Waite on line
Where? I see Genie+ in "a list of options to assist guests in accessing attraction queues" but nowhere do they even suggest that it must be purchased if you can't wait an hour. I do not interpret that list to be a list of any/all "accommodations" offered, just services available which may or may not help any given individual/party meet their needs for touring the parks.

The person did answer the question. But for you to understand, we’d have to provide the medical reasons why, which would provide that info for scammers. My kids with DD can’t wait that long.
You must have missed the thirty pages where people detailed their physical disabilities and people told them ride swap would work for them. They basically should have just said “ I can’t tell you why I need DAS because of the scammers using it as a script. “ Fairness.

Yes! Refreshing to hear from someone who uses the accommodation in this way. If the queue is problamatic, get a DAS return time. If it isn’t, get in the standby.
Which is exactly what my father does. As I've mentioned, he has a higher level accommodation at Universal. But far from "abusing" it, he goes out of his way NOT to use it when he can manage. He's one of those ride nerds (as am I) who genuinely enjoys all the stuff in the queues. So if he's feeling okay and the standby isn't too long, he'll actually get excited about going standby. But he knows his limits at any given moment, and there are plenty of times when we're hanging around the entrance to a zero-wait ride for an hour while he does all sorts of body contortions to try to get the pain down enough to walk in and get on.

You must have missed the thirty pages where people detailed their physical disabilities and people told them ride swap would work for them. They basically should have just said “ I can’t tell you why I need DAS because of the scammers using it as a script. Fairness.
In all honesty -- those posts should have been removed. And in any normal thread such posts would have been removed with a note to the poster advising not to share so much info. However the moderators have had trouble even keeping up with the thread, we haven't had time to deal with such posts. I suppose I could go back now and start, but I'd just fall behind on current posts and after this past week I really don't want to get into that position again right away. This isn't a paid job, moderators are volunteers with our own families, jobs, lives outside of DIS.

So... now that things have calmed a bit I will remind everyone: PLEASE DO NOT OVER-SHARE ABOUT YOUR/YOUR FAMILY MEMBER'S DISABILITY NEEDS. This thread really is quite a dump of info that anyone with ill-intent could easily cull.

• Limit DAS per day -- meaning what? How many attractions? Or only specific attractions? Or how many DAS "passes" will be given out each day, therefore limiting how many DAS guests can be in the park each day? I'm not sure any of those is legal.
  • Alternative accommodations -- isn't that what is proposed now to start May 19th?
  • Current DAS holders can discuss their future with a cast member -- again, exactly what is happening
  • required documentation -- this has been discussed in numerous posts and Disney opted not to go this route, likely for various reasons
I haven't seen anything say "you are out, you may crawl back" in any way, shape or form.

DAS has never been approved prior to 30-days before arrival, nor has it ever been guaranteed for a renewal. Until Oct. 2021 (just 2.5 yrs ago) DAS was only available onsite after you arrived.
Limit as in if people are cheating or they are concerned for capacity they make the wait time double or triple the queue. They already changed it from zero under GAC to the listed wait time, so legal.

Is it? The announcement makes no mention of alternative accommodations only that physical disabilities no longer qualify for DAS.

Is it? Then why not just say so and what those options may be so that people don't have to freak out.

What they have said is that I no longer qualify under the reason I have for the last 10 years and not said what, if anything, will be done. Changing policy of this magnitude without guidance is just wrong. If the accomodation is I get DAS because I qualify for medical reasons then fine. If it is something else that does not work for my family then I will never visit WDW again. I was willing to risk it when I had non expiring tickets or had consistent experience with the policy, but not now.

I would really hate to think as some have suggested, that if you previously had a DAS, that they look back at that to see if you still need one. This would fail to take into account that people and their needs for accommodation can and do change, I have multiple medical conditions that sadly have been progressively worsening. I used to be able to do the parks with easily with no issues. Then I was able to handle them mostly using Fastpass+. By the time the switch was made to Genie +, my conditions had significantly worsened and I thought why not see if I can get a DAS. My first one was at WDW, and I think I only described my needs from one condition and that was found to be sufficient to get it. The next time, I don’t think I described the same needs, because a different condition’s needs were more pressing. I was recently in DL, and had two separate tickets. I had no problem getting the DAS for the first ticket with just giving a barebones description of my reasons for why I couldn’t wait in a queue. I was already in the parks when I needed to get the DAS for the second ticket and had a CM refuse me the DAS, despite having just had it for the previous several days on the prior ticket. The CM was very intrusive in their questioning and was clear that no matter what I said she wasn’t going to grant the DAS. I had to walk away because I was shaking and was in tears, and I was a mess for quite awhile after that. I eventually spoke to a different CM at another guest assistance kiosk who was absolutely wonderful and gave me the DAS. I don’t have any trips scheduled right now, but I’m already feeling sick at the thought of possibly having a similar conversation as the one I had with that CM. It makes me want to not bother and try and suffer through, which I’m sure wouldn’t bother Disney in the slightest.

No, they’re not. Where are you seeing that?
I interpreted the post as If you want a similar experience to DAS, then you'll have to purchase Genie+. Jake, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Disney offers Genie as an option not Genie+ because a public accommodation, aka, theme park, aka Disney World or Disneyland, asking the disabled to pay extra is a no no. Guessing their lawyers or ADA compliance team let them know this.
Of course, people can choose to pay for Genie+ and Disney won't mind one little bit.

"Below is a list of options to assist guests in accessing attraction queues.

Rider Switch

Single Rider

Disney Genie Service

Disability Access Service

Stroller as a Wheelchair Tag

Navigating Queues with Service Animals"

Limit as in if people are cheating or they are concerned for capacity they make the wait time double or triple the queue. They already changed it from zero under GAC to the listed wait time, so legal.

Is it? The announcement makes no mention of alternative accommodations only that physical disabilities no longer qualify for DAS.

Is it? Then why not just say so and what those options may be so that people don't have to freak out.

What they have said is that I no longer qualify under the reason I have for the last 10 years and not said what, if anything, will be done. Changing policy of this magnitude without guidance is just wrong. If the accomodation is I get DAS because I qualify for medical reasons then fine. If it is something else that does not work for my family then I will never visit WDW again. I was willing to risk it when I had non expiring tickets or had consistent experience with the policy, but not now.
Changing from zero wait to length of posted standby (or less) is legal. Intentionally making the wait for a disabled person at significantly more than that is illegal.

Technically, the announcement (or the website because I'm not sure I've seen an official WDW announcement) only indicates DAS is for developmental disabilities like autism or similar. It doesn't state no accommodations for physical disabilities. I absolutely agree the lack of details is a major fail on Disney's part.

Disney: on our menu we have soup, steak, pizza and poutine. If you have allergies, let us know and we'll see what can be done.

Some folks: why are you forcing me to eat soup??? Don't you know some of us are allergic to soup?? Disney hates ppl with allergies.
Except Disney charges a rather high (non refundable) entrance fee AND from their language changes, altered the language from "if you have allergies..." to "If you are allergic to corn..." leaving individuals with other allergies hanging a bit regarding to what accommodations, if any, might be provided

Add on it's a sudden menu change in a family-friendly restaurant that people have been going to for years and have almost always had their needs met.

It's a complex situation.

Last edited:
I've mentioned before we have a number of out of state/passholder trips planned between now and Fall.

We just got here (son and self; the DAS holder wasn't up to traveling). He has never waited or ridden alone at Disney, despite being 18. He did accompany me to a work conference for a short stay, and will likely be either in our room or by the pool despite being within a short walk to the parks.

I have very strongly encouraged him to walk over to Epcot for a meal or snack, and it's just not something he's able to do. He has severe anxiety and ADHD (full medical diagnosis as a super young kid). That's why the rider swap isn't likely an option for our party of 3...he would have to be the one waiting alone. I figured I could try to encourage a little solo-ing this trip, but most park days he's miserable after a half day, and can really spin out if he can't find us after a bathroom break.

Not sure how that relates, but I guess we'll see when we call. It's so hurtful when people say "he can't do WHAT?...or he can't drive YET?" I wish he could and so does he.
He wouldn’t wait alone. He can have one person with him. Then those 2 ride through LL.

This is us, exactly. Our son can't do the long lines. So we will get a DAS return for something with 30+ minutes. Then we'll hit up things that have short waits, if there's anything. Or we sit on a bench. Or have a snack/meal.

PLUS 15 or often MORE once in the LL queue.

Definitely more a lot of the time. Especially when wait times listed are inflated.

YEP. We have had to cancel some DAS returns because the LL was actually too long for our son to handle. So some of the E ticket rides have to be skipped completely.

I wish we could stay all day like many NT families. That will just never be for us. On our recent trip to WDW, we managed to be in the parks for a few hours in the morning and then a few in the evening with a long break in the quiet hotel in the middle. It's a necessity for our son. So having DAS does allow us to actually get a few rides in during each chunk of park
DAS users get the start “waiting in line” as soon as they scan in for their existing attraction. So while waiting in LL and riding attraction #1, they’re also “waiting in line” for attraction #2
And perhaps two advanced selections, so 4.

You must have missed the thirty pages where people detailed their physical disabilities and people told them ride swap would work for them. They basically should have just said “ I can’t tell you why I need DAS because of the scammers using it as a script. “ Fairness.
Tiktokkers already did that. 💩 🤣

Disney: on our menu we have soup, steak, pizza and poutine. If you have allergies, let us know and we'll see what can be done.

Some folks: why are you forcing me to eat soup??? Don't you know some of us are allergic to soup?? Disney hates ppl with allergies.
Not sure allergies are really the analogy you want here. While we have had fantastic experiences with many restaurants at WDW and DLR, we've also paid $30+ for DD to eat at the Plaza Inn and have her only be able to eat sausage and fresh fruit. No waffles (they didn't have the gluten free ones that day), no eggs, no muffins or pastries. That was a miserable experience with a hungry child, and I'm so happy we were told we could stop the restrictions that caused that. The other DLR restaurants were much more accommodating on that trip, Plaza was a mess though.

Except Disney charges a rather high (non refundable) entrance fee AND from their language changes, altered the language from "if you have allergies..." to "If you are allergic to corn..." leaving individuals with other allergies hanging a bit regarding to what accommodations, if any, might be provided

Add on it's a sudden menu change in a family-friendly restaurant that people have be going to for years and have almost always had their needs met.
I'm sorry if it wasn't clear but my post was specifically aiming at Genie+ (soup) being forced onto ppl like some posters are suggesting.

It is not mean to represent any other other accommodations because it's a simple analogy.

I think I've mentioned quite a few times thru the thread my thoughts on other parts of the issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter