• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Just curious to hear how others perceive this…

We’re operating on the assumption that the goal is to reduce the number of people using LL queues, right? I mean, yes, to cut down on DAS abuse, but the only reason that’s a problem is that it’s backing up LLs, right?

So exactly HOW does reducing the number of people getting DAS reduce the LLs? In theory, if, say, 6 out of every 10 current DASers are rolled out of the program, AND G+/LL allotments are not increased, then okay - you’ve reduced the number of LL users by 60%ish. What was a theoretical 30 min wait in a LL is now 12.

But if Disney simply sells more G+/LLs and 5 of those 6 previous DASers now buy G+/LL, the reduction in LL users is only 10%ish - your 30 min wait in LL goes down a whopping 3 mins. Is that enough to make Guests happy? I doubt it. But I feel pretty sure a 50% increase - more, really, since the previous DASer AND their party will all need to buy - in G+/LL sales will make some accountants REAL happy.

I have a lot more optimism that the DAS program and whatever new accommodations they’re rolling out will still work for the majority of those who need them than I do of the changes fixing a broken wait system, I’m sorry to say.
At the end of the day Disney is a corporation that exists to make money for its shareholders. If they can make a change that reduces abuse so that they can make more money, while still providing reasonable accommodations to those who need them, they will do it.

No, normally rider switch allows a 2nd person to ride with them.

So, if you wait out alone b/c you are 2 parents and 2 kids (and the 1st 3 go together), the 2nd parent waiting out b/c of disability needs could have 1 kid ride twice.
What if you're a single parent; your physically challenged DAS holder cannot and should not ride/be alone, and your other 18 year old has a another disability not qualified for DAS? HOW would Rider swap possibly work?

Wonder how long it will be before a lawsuit is filed for discrimination??? Allowing someone with a certain disability to use LL while telling another with a different but equally disabling condition, "Sorry, your disability is not acceptable for the accommodation" seems like discrimination on its face.
That wouldn't hold up at all as long as they can say they provided a reasonable accommodation for that person. There is nothing that says every accommodation has to be the exact same, and it shouldn't. Everyone is different and may have different needs. You can't force all the different shaped blocks in the bunch through the same shaped hole

Wonder how long it will be before a lawsuit is filed for discrimination??? Allowing someone with a certain disability to use LL while telling another with a different but equally disabling condition, "Sorry, your disability is not acceptable for the accommodation" seems like discrimination on its face.
The ADA allows for different accommodations based on needs, it also allows for a business to not provide an accommodation that significantly impacts operations. There may well be lawsuits, just as there were when GAC changed to DAS, but it's a long drawn out process and Disney has prevailed on those.

But if Disney simply sells more G+/LLs
The cynic in me thinks that WDW is changing the DAS eligibility in order to limit or restrict persons in the LL and open the LL to allow WDW to sell more G+ and increase revenues. G+ has sold out before during busier seasons. At least, I just recently read something to that effect.

DAS accommodations do not generate revenue for WDW and frankly only cost the company more money with CM staffing. Once WDW makes its changes, DLR would naturally follow with similar (but not exactly the same changes) to the DAS system.

If true, now you know how TWDC defines inclusion in its inclusion key.

What if you're a single parent; your physically challenged DAS holder cannot and should not ride/be alone, and your other 18 year old has a another disability not qualified for DAS? HOW would Rider swap possibly work?
There are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread. I highly recommend doing the video chat within your 30-day window to discuss unique or less-common combinations of issues/guests.

They are able to sell-out of Genie plus, both for the day and for each time slot. This spreads people out in the queue all day long and had an absolute limit to it. Whereas for DAS or disabilities I don't think they are legally able to put a strict number on the cap
Right, and that works if they keep the caps in place. But if they raise the caps, doesn’t it offset by some amount, at least, the reduction from previous DAS users?

That wouldn't hold up at all as long as they can say they provided a reasonable accommodation for that person. There is nothing that says every accommodation has to be the exact same, and it shouldn't. Everyone is different and may have different needs. You can't force all the different shaped blocks in the bunch through the same shaped hole
"The Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires places of public accommodation to provide patrons with reasonable opportunities for the “equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation.

The new DAS rules do not provide equal accommodations and certainly do not lead to equal enjoyment.

Has anyone found any information on the Inspire Health Alliance Disney says is going to help the CM’s make decisions? From what I could find in a quick search, they are a healthcare technology company more focused on IT problems. I know one of the blogs said they worked with the DCL for Covid testing but that is completely different from the knowledge I would expect to be needed to determine DAS eligibility. Thanks

Not sure what we are going to do yet as it seems I will no longer be eligible and travel solo or with one friend or DH most of the time. AP set to expire May 7 with next trip June 7 so really stuck between a rock and hard place making this decision of what to do. Rider switch would make for a fantastically lonely day either way 😢😢😢

I would love to be able to purchase a Genie type version that would let me be late for the ride the way the original fastpasses used to be…you couldn’t go early but you could be late up to park close. I also want to be able to re-ride the few attractions that I can enjoy since I cannot ride very many. I think there’s a subset of DAS users that may feel the same.

"The Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires places of public accommodation to provide patrons with reasonable opportunities for the “equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation.

The new DAS rules do not provide equal accommodations and certainly do not lead to equal enjoyment.
Equal enjoyment in this case just being the opportunity to ride. Not the exact same wait, etc. Everyone has different wait times and experiences in the queue all day every day. I don't get to sue Disney if someone throws up next to me in line, even though it may make my experience worse than the average.

The goal is to try and have the disabled person's experience as close to the average person's as possible. They get to choose how to do that on an individual basis. You can never guarantee everyone the exact same length and experience of a wait. It's just not possible

But that is where the health pros working with DAS come into play.
"The parks will hire more cast members overall and provide more training so additional workers can help guests better understand Disney's accessibility offerings. Disney will work with health professionals from Health Alliance, a health insurer, as needed to determine the eligibility of DAS applicants."

K, edited because the LA Times article states:

"The announced changes will go into effect May 20 at Disney World and June 18 at Disneyland.

They include:

• The parks will hire more cast members overall and provide more training so additional workers can help guests better understand Disney’s accessibility offerings.
  • Disney will work with health professionals from Health Alliance, a health insurer, as needed to determine the eligibility of DAS applicants.
  • The DAS verification will be extended, with passes expiring in 120 days instead of 60.
  • Pass party sizes will be limited to three people plus the pass holder."
https://www.latimes.com/california/...tes-disability-access-service-to-cut-down-on- abusers#:~:text=The%20parks%20will%20hire%20more,the%20eligibility%20of%20DAS%20applicants.
They aren’t going to look at medical documentation.

There are an infinite number of possible variations in people's situations, and I would expect Disney to grant an accommodation that works for you. If as a party of 3 you can explain why it does not work for one member of the party to go through the standby line while the other two wait and go through the LL when the first person has finished riding, hopefully your party would be granted something equivalent to the current DAS.

I have already mentally prepared myself for needing to purchase G+. For any of those who have used G+ in the past, how forgiving/accomodating are the CM's at letting you leave and return to queue? My only issue is if/when a LL queue is 30+ min or longer and both my ECV-using mom and I need to leave (there are many times I'm needing to check blood sugar levels every 15 min)--can I return when the LL is not as long? Wondering if we miss the return time window will we be allowed to still tap in??
Always take down the name and place (info on their CM tag) before leaving the queue. We have been able to leave but sometimes the CMs switch places and then they ask for proof (although they can see we never reached the second scan in lines like SDMT, but not on others) and who said you can return. They ask for the CM’s name routinely (happened to us several times).

It certainly could, yeah. My hope is they don't raise the G+ cap, or at least not by much.
LOL, WDW doesn't lean towards not making more money. Remember when people said Disney would never charge for FastPass? Guess they didn't because it's been renamed Genie+. And when people said Disney would never allow people staying deluxe to have more park hours than those staying in mods or values?

Just did our call for DAS for 5/11-5/19 (so literally leaving the day before the changes) yesterday. Had to wait til DB got home from work, so we didn’t get to start until right around 4 EST. Waited about 2, 2-1/2 hours until we got someone. Video call wouldn’t work on Chrome for some reason, so I had to switch to Firefox. Got DB’s pic snapped, then DM explained why DAS was needed. Got approved and moved right into ride selection. Now the last 2-3 trips we’ve taken, we had longer than 7 day trips, so we figured it’d be the same this time around to only get 7 days…. Nope, we got all 9 days, so I’m not sure if we just had a CM who was being nice or if they’re waiving the 7-day requirement for now?

Whole process took about 3-1/2 hours including the wait.
Curious - why would they take the picture before your DM explained the need for DAS? If the answer had been no, then they would have the picture for no reason?

Nope, because there is no legal obligation to provide the same accommodation to different disabilities. There is also no obligation or requirement to provide an accommodation that is more than what is needed.

Right, and that works if they keep the caps in place. But if they raise the caps, doesn’t it offset by some amount, at least, the reduction from previous DAS users?
Statistically if they raise the cap of G+, even to the total of what was G+ AND DAS before they would still have more control over the lines. Since rides sell out of time slots, and they can adjust those as needed for rides they expect to have abnormally long lines, etc. Or even make them ILL for an even steeper cost not included with G+

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter