DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Where are you accounting for the guests who now must enter the standby instead of LL? For the most part they don't just disappear, they are now added to the standby queue. They weren't really in standby previously, unless you are claiming the often inflated standby wait was to account for DAS parties.

And therein lies a different issue -- that standby waits aren't all that accurate anyway so maybe WDW has continued to leave them inflated...?
The difference is that standby people aren't able to just hop in the LL over and over and over like the DAS people are. So if you move 25/50 former DAS users to standby, the standby line will move faster even if the number of people overall remains the same.

Actually, I believe you can post the website, but if the filter blocks that website then that one isn't allowed. If the filter lets it post, then it's fine. At least that's how it is on the DVC forums.
That’s what I thought too. If there was actually a website that was even modestly accurate at tracking LL return times it would be EXTREMELY helpful to members of this community who have one or more family members who truly cannot tolerate lines more than 10 minutes.

That’s what I thought too. If there was actually a website that was even modestly accurate at tracking LL return times it would be EXTREMELY helpful to members of this community who have one or more family members who truly cannot tolerate lines more than 10 minutes.
No such existence that I'm aware of. Touring plans and Thrill data rides would have picked up on them if it was really accurate.

I was about to Google “dartboard + lightening lanes” until I saw @CAPSLOCK’s laughing reaction. 🙈
To be fair, Disney names their systems a lot of honesltly sort of weird things, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they eventually named a system Dartboard. That would track with some of their naming conventions I feel like.

The difference is that standby people aren't able to just hop in the LL over and over and over like the DAS people are. So if you move 25/50 former DAS users to standby, the standby line will move faster even if the number of people overall remains the same.
No. DAS people have to wait the same exact amount of time as people in the current standby line before they get into the LL and then have to wait again. No one in the current standby line is impacted if the wait time is accurate. The goal is to shrink the wait time in the LL because they now sell it and people who pay a premium expect it to be faster or they complain so Disney can't sell as many. They kicked out the physically handicapped in order to sell more LL and make the experience better for the people paying, period. Since they could not accurately determine the wait time and could not prevent people cheating due to ADA they changed the rule to improve their business model. Those of us that have been using the system for years are now left out with vague information about how they will handle the issue. If you have ever had to get out of a line or rejoin a line with an ECV/wheelchair you have some idea of how hard it is and how many nasty comments people openly make. It is just the nature of the beast and Disney is not going to hire 2-4 new employees per attraction to make the process work. We cancelled our trip and will reevalute next year to see if any real attempts are made at accommodating physically handicapped or if it is just a facade.

They kicked out the physically handicapped in order to sell more LL and make the experience better for the people paying, period.
This isn't accurate at all because the queues have been mobility accessible for many years at this point. Long before there was a paid system even at Disneyland. Disneyland because of how old it is does have issues with existing queues not being as mobility accessible but it's vastly different at WDW and has been that way.

This isn't accurate at all because the queues have been mobility accessible for many years at this point. Long before there was a paid system even at Disneyland. Disneyland because of how old it is does have issues with existing queues not being as mobility accessible but it's vastly different at WDW and has been that way.
Queues are accessible for going in and to the ride at WDW, yes, in large part - definitely agree. I agree with the PP, though, that very few of the queues are built for ease of *exit* from the queue (to use AQR)) for those who require mobility devices such as ECVs, wheelchairs, medical strollers, etc.

Queues are accessible for going in and to the ride at WDW, yes, in large part - definitely agree. I agree with the PP, though, that very few of the queues are built for ease of *exit* from the queue (to use AQR)) for those who require mobility devices such as ECVs, wheelchairs, medical strollers, etc.
That's talking about two entirely different conversations and the latter about ease of getting out is subjective based on a person to person experience. A person without mobility issues may find they are having a bit of trouble exiting a line to leave BUT a person with mobility issues may not (some could def. be ease and comfort of using a mobility device in one's day to day life vs just starting to use an ECV or wheelchair for Disney or a rollator some may be a particular queue but not another).

The comment I spoke to was a financial reason to "kick out the physically handicapped in order to sell more LL and make the experience better for the people paying, period." Those in standby with mobility limitations were already in the standby for years, IIRC even before GAC stopped (back in 2013??) but certainly after GAC to DAS and there was no paid service when this adjustment was done.

That's talking about two entirely different conversations and the latter about ease of getting out is subjective based on a person to person experience. A person without mobility issues may find they are having a bit of trouble exiting a line to leave BUT a person with mobility issues may not (some could def. be ease and comfort of using a mobility device in one's day to day life vs just starting to use an ECV or wheelchair for Disney or a rollator some may be a particular queue but not another).

The comment I spoke to was a financial reason to "kick out the physically handicapped in order to sell more LL and make the experience better for the people paying, period." Those in standby with mobility limitations were already in the standby for years, IIRC even before GAC stopped (back in 2013??) but certainly after GAC to DAS and there was no paid service when this adjustment was done.
The post you responded to had comments about the ease of exiting lines as well. I was agreeing with you on the fact that lines are more accessible at WDW, but also agreeing with the PP that that accessibility doesn't necessarily transfer to the AQR accommodation as the queues aren't built for ease of exiting the lines.

And to be clear, I'm not speaking of subjective issues - I am speaking to the width of the queue relative to the width of the mobility device. The medical stroller we now have to rent with DD would be very difficult to get out of queues not built with that in mind because of the structure of the stroller, not anything to do with comfort level.

The post you responded to had comments about the ease of exiting lines as well. I was agreeing with you on the fact that lines are more accessible at WDW, but also agreeing with the PP that that accessibility doesn't necessarily transfer to the AQR accommodation as the queues aren't built for ease of exiting the lines.

And to be clear, I'm not speaking of subjective issues - I am speaking to the width of the queue relative to the width of the mobility device. The medical stroller we now have to rent with DD would be very difficult to get out of queues not built with that in mind because of the structure of the stroller, not anything to do with comfort level.
This.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson is right about the intent of Disney needing to shorten LL queues to multiple reasons. LL times just has been too long at many times. So part of that resulted in the revamp and narrowing DAS accommodations and using AQR as the primary alternative accommodation.

@Angel Ariel and others rightly point out that while most modern queues are ECV/mobility device accessible, it is largely meant as a one way accessibility. The ability to turn around AND Exit effectively is difficult or nearly impossible in some queues and a legitimate issue for some. I would gather that as more complain about this, the primary accommodation would be to offer a Rider Swap to allow the person stay outside the queue or RiderSwap+AQR hybrid modification where you meet up at the merge to minimize risk of need to exit.

I get that but I wasn't speaking to the other parts of the PP comment. I'm not talking about how Disney is adjusting DAS now with AQR. I'm strictly talking about just the comment I quoted regarding wanting to sell more LL to physically handicap. Prior to the DAS adjustment if your primary issue was solved by a mobility device you were advised to use that and I'm sure that many of those physically handicap guests didn't even think about requesting DAS as Disney explicitly told guests regarding access (especially with respects to accessibility regarding getting in and out of a ride vehicle). You may not be disagreeing with me but you responded to me with comments that I wasn't speaking to. It is inaccurate to state that Disney is kicking out physically handicap guests in order to sell more LL, those guests were already in standby for years without any monetary product for Disney to sell.

No. DAS people have to wait the same exact amount of time as people in the current standby line before they get into the LL and then have to wait again. No one in the current standby line is impacted if the wait time is accurate. The goal is to shrink the wait time in the LL because they now sell it and people who pay a premium expect it to be faster or they complain so Disney can't sell as many. They kicked out the physically handicapped in order to sell more LL and make the experience better for the people paying, period. Since they could not accurately determine the wait time and could not prevent people cheating due to ADA they changed the rule to improve their business model. Those of us that have been using the system for years are now left out with vague information about how they will handle the issue. If you have ever had to get out of a line or rejoin a line with an ECV/wheelchair you have some idea of how hard it is and how many nasty comments people openly make. It is just the nature of the beast and Disney is not going to hire 2-4 new employees per attraction to make the process work. We cancelled our trip and will reevalute next year to see if any real attempts are made at accommodating physically handicapped or if it is just a facade.
That you don't like the accommodations doesn't mean you aren't being accommodated.

I get that but I wasn't speaking to the other parts of the PP comment. I'm not talking about how Disney is adjusting DAS now with AQR. I'm strictly talking about just the comment I quoted regarding wanting to sell more LL to physically handicap. Prior to the DAS adjustment if your primary issue was solved by a mobility device you were advised to use that and I'm sure that many of those physically handicap guests didn't even think about requesting DAS as Disney explicitly told guests regarding access (especially with respects to accessibility regarding getting in and out of a ride vehicle). You may not be disagreeing with me but you responded to me with comments that I wasn't speaking to. It is inaccurate to state that Disney is kicking out physically handicap guests in order to sell more LL, those guests were already in standby for years without any monetary product for Disney to sell.
As I said - I was speaking to both comments - not just yours. I understood what you were saying and added another layer. That happens in discussions all the time 🤷‍♀️

Just back from what’s very probably my last trip under the DAS program (I just squeaked in before the changes). One thing of note to me was my DAS ROTR changed to an Anytime ROTR LL due to the ride going down- but only for ROTR. Not valid at any other ride. Maybe it’s always been like that, idk, but in case that’s a change fyi.

Hilariously enough on my last day I bought G+ (one person, so not a huge investment) because I was at MK and wanted to start getting experience with it for a late Fall family trip (I hadn’t used it since early ‘21)- a few hours later they announced the new program 🤦🏻‍♀️ Laugh or you’ll cry I figured, at least I was having a good day so I got a few more rides in that morning than I would have otherwise lol.

There's a significant portion of DAS users being offered other accommodations that can be best defined as a group 'medically fragile' - (eg: DM1 and array of GI oriented (including IBD/IBS), POTS) that concurrently may be physically impaired requiring usage of an ECV too now that DAS is not an available accommodation to them.

These are ones newly added to queues with mobility devices that are not accustomed and have more than an external ailment to which mobility devices themselves alleviate and do not need an urgent exiting of the queue unlike above mentioned group. It becomes a logistical and potentially medical issue while trying to exit the queue urgently whereas an only physical ailment-ECV bound will not have such urgent timing issues.

This is the primary consternation of most former DAS users entering other accommodations. Many queues are difficult to navigate backwards to exit with ECV. Enter an internal medical issue - like driving impaired down a narrow alleyway at speed with people on the sides -- not a good situation for many stakeholders.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest