DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Being too short to ride because one is a child is a temporary situation. Being unable to wait in a line because of a disability is (often) a permanent situation.
FWIW height restriction isn't always a temporary thing least not in all ways.
Agree that not everyone has a "next visit" when a child will be tall enough. We never know what the future may bring. Or it could be a once in a lifetime kind of trip for a family. Plus, not everyone who is too short to ride is a child. We've had posts here in the past from a little person who will never be able to join some queues or ride some attractions.

The point I was trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to make was that having policies that increase the isolation of a person with a disability is not really a good way to go.
Based on some of the first-hand experiences, it sounds like if the party is 3+ people, the individual waiting outside the queue may have an option of a "caregiver" or "companion" to wait with them. In fact, I haven't even seen reports of parties of 2 split up. And except for solo guests I haven't seen any reports (not saying there aren't any) of the disabled person required to sit out alone. Claiming "isolation of the disabled" doesn't fit the reality of what's occurring.

I don't disagree exactly. But this assumes that that family with a small child will return to the Parks at some point in the near future. So I don't think future trips are relevant to having to split on their current trip.
True...how about this?

Beyond the fact that being too short is (generally) a temporary situation, a small child is, by the nature of his/her age, going to the park with family members who are acting in a supervisory role. They are not "social" equals to the adult members of their party. The fact that their group needs to go through child swap and separate for a period of time does not diminish their social standing.

Contrast that to a person with a disability, (that for may need to wait in a separate location to accommodate a need to leave the line), going to the park as an adult. Telling that person that in order to meet her disability related needs she has to wait in a separate room away from the rest of her party does, among other things, diminish her social standing.

Agree that not everyone has a "next visit" when a child will be tall enough. We never know what the future may bring. Or it could be a once in a lifetime kind of trip for a family. Plus, not everyone who is too short to ride is a child. We've had posts here in the past from a little person who will never be able to join some queues or ride some attractions.

Based on some of the first-hand experiences, it sounds like if the party is 3+ people, the individual waiting outside the queue may have an option of a "caregiver" or "companion" to wait with them. In fact, I haven't even seen reports of parties of 2 split up. And except for solo guests I haven't seen any reports (not saying there aren't any) of the disabled person required to sit out alone. Claiming "isolation of the disabled" doesn't fit the reality of what's occurring.
Now, I'm mostly quibbling, so I'm probably going to drop this, but, we have dealt with situations like this outside of theme parks and isolation is in the mind of the beholder. Something as simple as going to an event with a group of your friends which isn't fully accessible and getting to watch everyone hem and haw about who gets "stuck" sitting with you is isolating.

"And except for solo guests I haven't seen any reports (not saying there aren't any) of the disabled person required to sit out alone." (sorry quoting isn't working all of a sudden for me)

Agreed - that has been our experience so far. Not sure what got me down this rabbit hole, but this is something we are passionate about.

Telling that person that in order to meet her disability related needs she has to wait in a separate room away from the rest of her party does, among other things, diminish her social standing.
Sorry, but if your family and friends would treat that as a negative against the individual with a disability trying to accommodate their needs -- it's time to start hanging out with some different people.

Disney can't control whatever nonsense people will have in their minds. The REALITY is that Disney is not isolating disabled individuals.

Epcot is great for that and if a child enjoys animals AK is as well as there's only a handful of actual rides there but plenty of places to spread out and explore at one's own pace. While FOP and Navi often have long waits exploring Pandora (and especially at night if that works for the individual) is great. Satu'li Canteen is probably my fav QS within the parks. The pathway between Festival of the Lion King and Pandora (goes along the water) is a nice walk that typically has lesser crowds IMO (though I'm sure it can get crowded based on the overall crowd levels) and I love hearing the sounds of Pandora as you get closer to it.
That AK walkway is nice. Word of warning though - when it's looking like rain, people hide under the bridge. One year it started raining and so many people were under the bridge that we couldn't get under the bridge and couldn't get through the crowd... so we were on our way somewhere and had to go back all the way around to get from Africa to Pandora. It's the only time we've ever had a crowd actually completely refuse to allow a walkway.

she has to wait in a separate room away from the rest of her party does, among other things, diminish her social standing.

My cousin's child who has cognitive disorder plus anxiety has gone to Disney and our regional park majority with her friends. Sometimes she'll be at a point where she tells her friends to go on without her on a ride, sometimes her friends will abstain from the attraction if she's experiencing issues, sometimes she'll have to leave the park for the day (though that's lessened over the years). She feels bad for them that sometimes they miss out on rides because of her but her friends (especially her best friend whom she lived with after high school) have been supportive of her. Kids can be mean, I know, but it's an issue with the kids not something any business can create policies for.

And back to my point about opinion it must have gotten lost in this thread, understandably so, but there have been multiple posters who wish there was a separate room where the person who is experiencing issues can go (often sensory rooms are mentioned). Yes that might be with another person like a caregiver but it is being separated from the party in the meantime. Different perspectives for different opinions but those separate places are exactly what some really want.

If you're speaking about inclusion I'd start with the people you're surrounded around :hug:

That AK walkway is nice. Word of warning though - when it's looking like rain, people hide under the bridge. One year it started raining and so many people were under the bridge that we couldn't get under the bridge and couldn't get through the crowd... so we were on our way somewhere and had to go back all the way around to get from Africa to Pandora. It's the only time we've ever had a crowd actually completely refuse to allow a walkway.
Very good point, nothing like getting caught in a torrential downpour at Disney to halt movement but I'd still recommend it at least on nicer days, cloudy but not stormy days (which AK isn't the easiest park for stormy weather to begin with) if you're looking for a slower pace thing to do that isn't a ride.

True...how about this?

Beyond the fact that being too short is (generally) a temporary situation, a small child is, by the nature of his/her age, going to the park with family members who are acting in a supervisory role. They are not "social" equals to the adult members of their party. The fact that their group needs to go through child swap and separate for a period of time does not diminish their social standing.

Contrast that to a person with a disability, (that for may need to wait in a separate location to accommodate a need to leave the line), going to the park as an adult. Telling that person that in order to meet her disability related needs she has to wait in a separate room away from the rest of her party does, among other things, diminish her social standing.
I don't agree with it diminishing anyone, but that's really neither here nor there, as everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Disney has now decided that there is no way to keep all parties together when accommodating those with disabilities, so parties are going to have to separate. No one has to like it, but it is what it is. People can either accept that, find a way to make the new accommodations work, and keep coming to Disney or they can choose not to.

Disney can't control whatever nonsense people will have in their minds. The REALITY is that Disney is not isolating disabled individuals.
Please understand that some of us have a family member that isolates them self due to a disability. Staying all day in there room. Having no friends and not going to party’s and not doing social activities that other people do.
And if its your child then this is very personal. And when you have time to spend together and let your child forget there issues in a magical place like Disney then it is very difficult to accept that there is a possibility that you will be split up because LL need to get more capacity.

Staying all day in there room. Having no friends and not going to party’s and not doing social activities that other people do.
I have one of those so I do fully understand. However, I also recognize that Disney does not need to accommodate my full family or my child's social needs, as nice as that would be (and has been in the past). But I also don't see 1:1 time with my child teen as a negative -- I see that can be positive, an opportunity for me to pop into a shop with her and browse, a chance for DH to grab a snack with her and chat. We'll be together to ride, and for the majority of our time we'll be together. Any school vacation spent at home is much more isolating for my child than the few queues for which we'll need to split for at the parks.

it is very difficult to accept that there is a possibility that you will be split up because LL need to get more capacity
Maybe if you look at it as "this is the accommodation for the need" rather than "LL need to get more capacity" it's easier to swallow. I prefer to take the accommodation at face value, rather than comparing it to something else -- either something that used to be or something offered at a different park. We go on different vacations; not all accommodate in the same manner.

Last edited:
Please understand that some of us have a family member that isolates them self due to a disability. Staying all day in there room. Having no friends and not going to party’s and not doing social activities that other people do.
And if its your child then this is very personal. And when you have time to spend together and let your child forget there issues in a magical place like Disney then it is very difficult to accept that there is a possibility that you will be split up because LL need to get more capacity.
I am sorry but how is it Disney's business if a guest self-isolates during their everyday life???

True...how about this?

Lanejudy already explained why being too short might not be temporary. So I will not rehash that.

Literally no one at Disney is telling disabled guests that they need to wait by themselves in a separate room.

If your daughter's friends are mocking her for having to take care of her needs sometimes because somehow this "diminish her social standing" then she needs better friends. Personally we've never mocked our friends when they need extra time to do things, or made them feel bad if they decide to skip something, sometimes we will skip things to accommodate them as well.

I honestly don't appreciate how you are talking about kids in your post either. Their needs and feelings matter just as much as an adult. "Social equals". I can't even begin to understand the logic leaps made here to get from: in order to accommodate a disabled guest, sometimes they might need to split from their party with a companion (depending on party makeup). To: kids social standing doesn't diminish if they need to separate from the rest of the group for a ride, but a guest's with a disabilities does because ...reasons.

I think if being together as a family is a high priority, then plan one’s Disney trip with that in mind. Choose Genie+ over expensive TS meals OR go less frequently to be able to afford Genie+ so the family can stay together for whatever time one has in the park. Yes, it costs money and yes it will be a waste if one has to leave early, but if the priority is keeping one’s family together, then it’s a worthwhile expense.

Sorry, but if your family and friends would treat that as a negative against the individual with a disability trying to accommodate their needs -- it's time to start hanging out with some different people.

I guess we'll just disagree on this point.

She has great friends and it is really more in her mind than anything else, and at least partially due to being 20... She does not like having to be "different" even if it gives her an "advantage."

FWIW she did have this conversation with several friends with disabilities and they are all uniformly horrified at the thought. (Again age probably plays a big role).

Epcot is great for that and if a child enjoys animals AK is as well as there's only a handful of actual rides there but plenty of places to spread out and explore at one's own pace.
I’ll second this. I spend a lot of my time at both parks doing very few rides, and some days no rides at all. One of my gripes with MK, actually, is that I find it a very difficult park to enjoy if I’m not wanting to focus on rides.
A few posts ago I said that I woud let It go.
So It is what It is, Disney does what they feel is right. But I dont have to like It.
You absolutely do not have to like it - FWIW I don’t especially like it, either. I’ve been trying very hard to stay positive about the changes and figure out a way to keep enjoying my time at WDW, and yes I can logically understand why the changes have come… but I wouldn’t say I’m happy about them.

~~~

FWIW, I am very sympathetic to those with concerns about splitting up groups to accommodate the disabled party. I honestly get it. My only living immediate family member doesn't go to WDW at all anymore because DAS isn’t enough to make it a pleasant experience for him. For various reasons, I lead a pretty isolated life. So meeting up with Orlando-area friends at the parks is special and important to me. They don’t do long ride waits. Some due to issues that probably would have been covered by DAS, but they never wanted to bother with it. Others because they live there and can pop over quickly to take advantage of slow days. With DAS, I’ve been able to spend a lot more time with them because my needs were accommodated AND they were willing to do rides with me because they didn't have to spend an hour in a line for it. I’m not going to ask them to wait an hour in a line for a ride they have no interest in other than to spend time with me… while I wait somewhere else. It would utterly defeat the point of being in the parks together. So if I’m denied DAS in the future, and if the only option for AQR is for my friends to wait in line while I wait somewhere else, things will have to change: I guess I’ll focus on rides when my friends aren’t available, and when they are we’ll focus on meals and shows and things that don’t require waiting in long lines. We’ll figure it out - but yes, I’ll be sad to lose some of that time with them.

I guess what I’m getting at is that I think it’s perfectly acceptable to understand and accept the changes, while also feeling disappointment and/or confusion about how it will impact your own situation. I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I and many others in the thread are pulling on our own experiences to find solutions and creative approaches that can maybe make the changes a little less jarring for ourselves and others… because we do get it, and we care. :flower3:

I wish people would stop suggesting that disabled people visit at a less busy time as a way to accommodate themselves. I have a school- aged disabled kiddo and a hubby who has twice ended up being attended by the WDW EMTs when we visited in the summer. Our only realistic visiting times are during cold weather school breaks. If we want to go at all, it's going to be during a busy time.

Additionally, people can have legitimate disability-related reasons to want their family to stay together. Based on everyone's health issues, AQR has me concerned as a suggested accommodation. I'm the one in the best position to wait in line, but I'm also in the best position to be a caregiver to either of them.

FWIW she did have this conversation with several friends with disabilities and they are all uniformly horrified at the thought. (Again age probably plays a big role).
I fully understand the desire to fit in, not be different. That chorus gets sung in my house too. But I’m confused that these “great friends” all agreed she would suffer “diminished social standing” by waiting outside the queue with 1 other person while the rest go through the queue. What does that mean — they would ostracize her or in some way think less of her?

Yeah, 20-yr-olds are not always logical, but it’s still not Disney’s problem to accommodate that mindset.

I’ll second this. I spend a lot of my time at both parks doing very few rides, and some days no rides at all. One of my gripes with MK, actually, is that I find it a very difficult park to enjoy if I’m not wanting to focus on rides.
That's something I hadn't thought about but would for sure agree with. MK is great for having a good amount of rides but when you're not riding rides or doing something like a parade or show there's actually not as much meandering space if you will. There's spaces to get off of the crowded path but not really quite like AK and Epcot has.

I fully understand the desire to fit in, not be different. That chorus gets sung in my house too. But I’m confused that these “great friends” all agreed she would suffer “diminished social standing” by waiting outside the queue with 1 other person while the rest go through the queue. What does that mean — they would ostracize her or in some way think less of her?

Yeah, 20-yr-olds are not always logical, but it’s still not Disney’s problem to accommodate that mindset.
Her *disabled* friends all agreed that it would be horrible to be with a group and have wait in a separate location alone or with only one other person.

Her non-disabled friends roll with it.

Diminished social standing is my own phrasing. (And was apparently a bad choice). So forget isolating or excluding or social standing or any of those buzzwords and simply look at it as having to missing out on part of a shared experience. Not Disney's fault or problem, but still unfortunate.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter