DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Rope dropping is in fact waiting in line before park opens and then move in group to the attraction. This is no option for us. I would like to do it but it does not work for us.
Agree that joining the rope drop crowd and the masses running to the most popular ride is not a solution to the vast majority who can't wait in lines. Getting to the gates 10min after opening and heading to the non-headliners early before lines build works well though.

Or evenings, in the rain, etc. There are ways to avoid lines, for the most part. They aren't all ideal, but to be fair that's why the lines are shorter then...

yes this is correct because you dont want the 2 year old waiting in line when not riding. As a parent you then make choices to make both kids day as magical as possible.
We also had this period when our children have different needs and then we also split up. One going to the thrill ride while the other did the kiddy rides.

But this is still different then being force to split up just becaus one of us has a dissability and we al want to ride the same ride.
No, because the two-year-old is not allowed in the line. It is not a choice. Other than no one riding the ride at all and how is that different from saying that families with a disabled person could stay together by just not riding the ride?

Maybe it is just the fear of not getting the das but that my daughter will get it. She is autistic and waiting in line is just not possible at Disney. Every line above 10 minutes is problematic, also for other people waiting close to us.
I know it is frustrating, and I really hope your daughter gets approved so you can have a wonderful trip. Since you have been to the parks a lot, I'm sure you know it is extremely rare to find less than a 10-minute wait, even with the shortest LL entry. Avoiding people close to you anywhere in a queue is nearly impossible. After scanning for LL, there's always another queue that zig zags back and forth, many rides have crowded pre-shows, the boarding areas are packed tight, etc. I hope you find good accommodation, but DAS won't even help in this situation.

We used touring plans and a long time ago we use tour guide Mike website
Oh wow! I forgot about Tour Guide Mike! I was addicted to his info when we visited the parks. Thanks for stirring that memory. We had fun trips with his plans.

I know it is frustrating, and I really hope your daughter gets approved so you can have a wonderful trip. Since you have been to the parks a lot, I'm sure you know it is extremely rare to find less than a 10-minute wait, even with the shortest LL entry. Avoiding people close to you anywhere in a queue is nearly impossible. After scanning for LL, there's always another queue that zig zags back and forth, many rides have crowded pre-shows, the boarding areas are packed tight, etc. I hope you find good accommodation, but DAS won't even help in this situation.

Oh wow! I forgot about Tour Guide Mike! I was addicted to his info when we visited the parks. Thanks for stirring that memory. We had fun trips with his plans.
<15min LL is hard, even on low volume days.

Our DS with ASD really has worked hard to get to 30minutes and with us actively bracketing him in the queue with full on mitigation efforts. So we've been cut out of several rides over the years because of this.

The preshows are easier; just hang back of the room opposite of the door and be the last people out.

The harder part is his hyperacusis to high pitched shrill noises - and that tends to go with his preferred spinning rides If only there was a way to reduce sound conducted through the bone!

Does anyone know if grandparents qualify as immediate family? My son and daughter in law are going with their 4 children, 1 of whom I believe would qualify for DAD, and then my husband and myself (grandparents)..how does that work?

Also...I know you sign up for an attraction and then get called back at a certain time...at that point do you enter the LL line or how does that work? Thank you.

Does anyone know if grandparents qualify as immediate family? My son and daughter in law are going with their 4 children, 1 of whom I believe would qualify for DAD, and then my husband and myself (grandparents)..how does that work?

Also...I know you sign up for an attraction and then get called back at a certain time...at that point do you enter the LL line or how does that work? Thank you.
Grandparents likely wouldn’t qualify as additional immediate family in this situation. The additional children who bring the DAS party over the max would be more likely to be given an exception and be added to their sibling’s DAS.

If the grandparents were taking the grandchildren without the parents, that’s a situation where the grandparents would be approved as the guardians of the kids and added to the DAS.

However, in your situation, where you are going alongside the parents, they would likely just view you as additional party members who are capable of utilizing standby.

Given the large party size of your family, depending on the child’s needs, they might recommend trying out some of the alternate accommodations instead of DAS since they could work better when it comes to allowing everyone to ride together.

Most rides utilize LL for DAS returns, unless it is a ride that doesn’t offer LL, then there will be an alternate entrance (usually the exit) available.

Grandparents likely wouldn’t qualify as additional immediate family in this situation. The additional children who bring the DAS party over the max would be more likely to be given an exception and be added to their sibling’s DAS.

If the grandparents were taking the grandchildren without the parents, that’s a situation where the grandparents would be approved as the guardians of the kids and added to the DAS.

However, in your situation, where you are going alongside the parents, they would likely just view you as additional party members who are capable of utilizing standby.

Given the large party size of your family, depending on the child’s needs, they might recommend trying out some of the alternate accommodations instead of DAS since they could work better when it comes to allowing everyone to ride together.

Most rides utilize LL for DAS returns, unless it is a ride that doesn’t offer LL, then there will be an alternate entrance (usually the exit) available.
Thank you for answering. I know absolutely nothing about DAS...do you know what alternate accommodations might be? I know we could purchase genie + but are there other things?

Thank you for answering. I know absolutely nothing about DAS...do you know what alternate accommodations might be? I know we could purchase genie + but are there other things?
Most likely they will suggest that everyone stands in the regular line. If someone has to leave, the adult would take the child out of the line and speak with a cast member. That cast member would then allow the parent and child to go through the lightening lane and meet the rest of your party at the merge point with standby. You would text the people who got out of line to let them know when you were getting close to the merge point.

Maybe it is just the fear of not getting the das but that my daughter will get it. She is autistic and waiting in line is just not possible at Disney. Every line above 10 minutes is problematic, also for other people waiting close to us.

Even during the super expensive "VIP tour" we never got that level of privileged treatment. Your expectations are unreasonable.

Most likely they will suggest that everyone stands in the regular line. If someone has to leave, the adult would take the child out of the line and speak with a cast member. That cast member would then allow the parent and child to go through the lightening lane and meet the rest of your party at the merge point with standby. You would text the people who got out of line to let them know when you were getting close to the merge point.
Thank you

Even during the super expensive "VIP tour" we never got that level of privileged treatment. Your expectations are unreasonable.
I dont expect that there are no lines longer then 10min. I say that in our case we know that around 10min the problems start building up. And we do our best to avoid this.
So we know that we must go on slow days to make it work. For MK we like to go when they close early for an evening event like Halloween.
We can not make It work on bussy days but thats ok.
Das makes going to Disney possible for us.
On the days we go LL are almost always empty to merge point. Exceptions are rides that just had a downtime. But then we do not ride the attraction and dump the das reservation.

You might want to check out the Guests with Disabilities section of the WDW website. Be sure to click through the various pages because there's quite a bit of information there, especially of note:

As PPs noted, you are a party of 8 and as such if your granddaughter is granted DAS I expect the only exception would be for 6 (the parents plus the 4 minor children) and not the grandparents. They are likely to recommend you try Attraction Queue Re-entry or Rider Swap for your party. This may work out well, allowing the granddaughter plus a caregiver (the adults can rotate if you'd like) to wait outside the queue until the rest of the party reaches the LL merge and then everyone can ride together. Just be aware that very few ride vehicles will fit your whole party of 8 and you'll need to split into smaller groups to ride.

I dont expect that there are no lines longer then 10min. I say that in our case we know that around 10min the problems start building up. And we do our best to avoid this.
So we know that we must go on slow days to make it work. For MK we like to go when they close early for an evening event like Halloween.
We can not make It work on bussy days but thats ok.
Das makes going to Disney possible for us.
On the days we go LL are almost always empty to merge point. Exceptions are rides that just had a downtime. But then we do not ride the attraction and dump the das reservation.
I feel like as difficult as it is, you need to try to stop imagining nightmare scenarios where Disney won't help you. It is clearly upsetting and causing you a lot of stress. I am also a thinker/planner, and often think through worst case scenarios to prepare for them, but there is also a time when I need to be stopped because it stops being a source of planning but a source of stress even bordering on trauma response.
Nobody, not even greedy execs who may want everyone to spend every last cent they have on perks, wants you or your daughter to suffer. Even everyone here hopes you have a great trip and that things work out. The largest factor in that is going to be your willingness to let the process work. Even if the current nightmare happens and they say no to DAS, so you test out the alternative, and either find something works or you talk to them about what is happening and it gets worked out. Maybe you have a day doing shows rather than rides. (maybe EPCOT is the best test park? with the amount of stuff to do that isn't based on line access?)

At some point you have to trust that people are going to work with you, and that all of this craziness is being done out of an intent to improve the process because the previous system wasn't working correctly.

I feel like as difficult as it is, you need to try to stop imagining nightmare scenarios where Disney won't help you. It is clearly upsetting and causing you a lot of stress. I am also a thinker/planner, and often think through worst case scenarios to prepare for them, but there is also a time when I need to be stopped because it stops being a source of planning but a source of stress even bordering on trauma response.
Nobody, not even greedy execs who may want everyone to spend every last cent they have on perks, wants you or your daughter to suffer. Even everyone here hopes you have a great trip and that things work out. The largest factor in that is going to be your willingness to let the process work. Even if the current nightmare happens and they say no to DAS, so you test out the alternative, and either find something works or you talk to them about what is happening and it gets worked out. Maybe you have a day doing shows rather than rides. (maybe EPCOT is the best test park? with the amount of stuff to do that isn't based on line access?)

At some point you have to trust that people are going to work with you, and that all of this craziness is being done out of an intent to improve the process because the previous system wasn't working correctly.
Thank you.
Maybe I should watch Frozen again and "let it go".

No, if Disney wants to treat their customers with Disabilities like this, then I’m done with them. Many people are saying the same thing.
Reading the other thread gives me hope that the CMs in the parks are indeed finding ways to accommodate people who are denied a DAS. That being said, there are things other parks are doing to make it easier on guests with various disabilities and no, they don’t all involve the equivalent of the DAS. Some parks are providing 3D models of all of their attractions so that the Blind can feel what the attraction looks like, some that have characters are also providing 3D models of the characters. Many are posting videos of what wheelchair loading and unloading looks like at every attraction with and without transferring where applicable. These types of things are simple and inexpensive, but greatly help and show that guests of all abilities are welcome, yet Disney isn’t doing this (well Tokyo Disneyland is, but they aren’t run by Disney).

How do you feel about parents of children who are too short to do a ride being forced to split up to wait when they need to do rider switch?
I mostly agree with the points you are making; however, there is a big difference in the two. Being too short to ride because one is a child is a temporary situation. Being unable to wait in a line because of a disability is (often) a permanent situation. Part of our enjoyment of going to the theme parks as a family through the years was watching as our children grew up and could go on more and more rides. No one loved splitting up, but we all knew it was a temporary thing.

Again, I agree with you overall and we always do/did things to make it work for our family. All that being said..."we have a special room where the disabled people can wait by themselves while the rest of their friends/family are socializing in line," kinda has a bad sound to it. (Yes, I am exaggerating on purpose).

Honestly, given the choice, my daughter (and everyone else in the world) would prefer to avoid long lines. With that option off the table, she would much prefer to be able to wait in line with her friends/family than have to wait somewhere apart from them. No one loves being in line, but if you've ever been behind a group of teenagers/young adults in line you know they are talking and giggling among themselves having fun. It's basically another place to hang out.

From what I've seen so far, Disney has been making things work OK overall; but, I really shudder at the idea of the accommodation that is available becoming one more way to isolate someone who is already pretty isolated because of a disability.

I mostly agree with the points you are making; however, there is a big difference in the two. Being too short to ride because one is a child is a temporary situation. Being unable to wait in a line because of a disability is (often) a permanent situation. Part of our enjoyment of going to the theme parks as a family through the years was watching as our children grew up and could go on more and more rides. No one loved splitting up, but we all knew it was a temporary thing.

Again, I agree with you overall and we always do/did things to make it work for our family. All that being said..."we have a special room where the disabled people can wait by themselves while the rest of their friends/family are socializing in line," kinda has a bad sound to it. (Yes, I am exaggerating on purpose).

Honestly, given the choice, my daughter (and everyone else in the world) would prefer to avoid long lines. With that option off the table, she would much prefer to be able to wait in line with her friends/family than have to wait somewhere apart from them. No one loves being in line, but if you've ever been behind a group of teenagers/young adults in line you know they are talking and giggling among themselves having fun. It's basically another place to hang out.

From what I've seen so far, Disney has been making things work OK overall; but, I really shudder at the idea of the accommodation that is available becoming one more way to isolate someone who is already pretty isolated because of a disability.
Isn't the point of DAS or those requesting DAS is that they have an issue with the queues? Obviously different people have different reasons for why those issues exist but saying you want to wait in line with people because you don't want to be left out but saying you need to have a shorter line ends up being a mixed message and likely won't gain as much sympathy (hence many of the "what about" comments). People certainly recognize the difference between a height restriction and someone having other issues but it's being presented like "I want it ALL" and that's not going to be the reality of a lot of traveling parties. They can't have it all.

To that point, not all who have issues with queues are making comments about unfairness with Disney's newer way with respects to who waits outside the line or who joins back in to the line leading to point that it's not a fact but a preference some are making which then circles back to those other "what if" scenarios going.

FWIW height restriction isn't always a temporary thing least not in all ways. That's assuming that someone is going to visit Disney multiple times in order for the individual in question to meet the height restriction of the attractions. People do not in fact visit Disney as often as many on this Board do.

I don't disagree exactly. But this assumes that that family with a small child will return to the Parks at some point in the near future. So I don't think future trips are relevant to having to split on their current trip.

(maybe EPCOT is the best test park? with the amount of stuff to do that isn't based on line access?)
Epcot is great for that and if a child enjoys animals AK is as well as there's only a handful of actual rides there but plenty of places to spread out and explore at one's own pace. While FOP and Navi often have long waits exploring Pandora (and especially at night if that works for the individual) is great. Satu'li Canteen is probably my fav QS within the parks. The pathway between Festival of the Lion King and Pandora (goes along the water) is a nice walk that typically has lesser crowds IMO (though I'm sure it can get crowded based on the overall crowd levels) and I love hearing the sounds of Pandora as you get closer to it.

Isn't the point of DAS or those requesting DAS is that they have an issue with the queues? Obviously different people have different reasons for why those issues exist but saying you want to wait in line with people because you don't want to be left out but saying you need to have a shorter line ends up being a mixed message and likely won't gain as much sympathy (hence many of the "what about" comments). People certainly recognize the difference between a height restriction and someone having other issues but it's being presented like "I want it ALL" and that's not going to be the reality of a lot of traveling parties. They can't have it all.

To that point, not all who have issues with queues are making comments about unfairness with Disney's newer way with respects to who waits outside the line or who joins back in to the line leading to point that it's not a fact but a preference some are making which then circles back to those other "what if" scenarios going.

FWIW height restriction isn't always a temporary thing least not in all ways. That's assuming that someone is going to visit Disney multiple times in order for the individual in question to meet the height restriction of the attractions. People do not in fact visit Disney as often as many on this Board do.
Sorry I should have been clearer: "If she was able to she would much prefer to be able to wait in line with her friends/family than have to wait somewhere apart from them." The issue is she can't wait in lines longer than a certain amount of time.

The point I was trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to make was that having policies that increase the isolation of a person with a disability is not really a good way to go.

I have been very vocal about the fact that we would prefer lines that were 100% accessible for her (long waits and all) to DAS if it were at all possible. Unfortunately that is not currently true for our family in our situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter