DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

As was mentioned upthread, the individual (or parent for a minor) is not waiving any right to sue. Only the right to join a "class action" lawsuit. The individual is welcome to file a suit on their own merits.
My post says that very thing under the third point. The DD person would have to sue in federal court for an ADA violation. I wish any DD person (that doesn't have money like the Kennedys) all the luck in the world with paying for that lawsuit against TWDC. I mean a whole lotta luck.

(pop century as it has a skyliner meaning I can come and go from Epcot and DHS very easily.)
I'm sure you're aware but I thought I'd mention it due to the above. The Skyliner can shut down due to severe weather in the area. When that happens Disney will use buses to get you to and from the parks to the resorts serviced by the Skyliner (or vice versa). This may not impact you with your condition but still I thought I'd mention it since you selected Pop for that Skyliner access.

I just hope that they continue to continue the needs of the DAS holder but also the needs of the family. My wife is the one who usually applies for DAS but a 'leave the line' exception isn't going to work for her with our young child who is also on the spectrum. Unfortunately, we are in a position at Disney where neither of us can adequately manage him by ourselves, even though I do not have a disability that prevents me from waiting in line. I just can't physically wrangle our son while she goes off to a 'leave the line' solution and if she is in the beginnings of a panic attack, she shouldn't have to take him with her. (And also it's not safe as she needs to be able to focus on her own wellbeing.) It's not just about one DAS holder, it's about how all disabilities in a family unit intersect and, sometimes, what the NON-disabled person needs to be able to manage a family with multiple disabilities.
Nailed it. I've been sitting here wracking my brain trying to figure out if there is ANY way any of this could work for my family. Typically it's me and my dad. He has complex physical disabilities that always qualified for DAS but apparently no longer will. I'm on the autism spectrum, but never needed DAS or any other accommodation, because I know how to handle my triggers and limitations.

OK, so the closest thing for us would probably be the one where he waits outside while I go through the standby line, and then I call him to come through the LL to meet me when I get to the merge point. Except:

1. There are times when he can't manage his conditions fully on his own and needs my help.
2. One of the main ways that I've historically managed my own issues is by having someone I know in line WITH me. If I'm solo at the parks, I simply don't get into a line that's more than 20 minutes, because that's about how long I have before a panic attack. When someone is with me, they can talk me through it and I can generally manage.

So: With the intersection of my Dad's needs and my needs...it's looking more and more like if we even try again, I'll need to try to get a DAS for myself. Because they won't give him one, he can't be the designated line holder, and I can't be the designated line holder. But I'm still incredibly reluctant to spend the money on tickets, because who knows if they'd decide that my needs are severe enough on their own, and they're not at all looking at the intersection between different people's needs within the same family.

Also...I smiled when you talked about physically wrangling your son. Please don't take this the wrong way, but my dad and I recently adopted a Dutch shepherd dog who's afraid of other dogs. Even though my dad has pretty severe physical issues, he has to go on every walk with us, because he's the only one with the hand and arm strength to safely control her if she comes face to face with another dog. Again, please don't take offense, it just made me smile.

When you consider how this entire rollout occurred, it is obvious that the people making these decisions really do not understand their disabled customers well enough or don't care enough to try. The amount of communication has been poor, their rollout of queue re-entry literally has no process defined, it is simply to ask a CM at each ride entrance. It is like they wanted to increase everyone's anxiety over this change.

But why does it seem so haphazard? Because Disney doesn't really make any money off of this change. So their investment and interest in the change is much weaker than if they were going to stand to make money.

The iPhone launch was carefully crafted and Apple likely spent millions of dollars on how the launch should go. At the time they likely thought they could make millions off of the iPhone and it has turned into billions for them and likely saved the company.

Disney likely has spent as little money as possible on the actual changes, and even less on the marketing budget to communicate the change.

Compare it to when Disney launched Disney+ there were live demos of the service, journalists got early access to the service so they could write articles on how it works. Genie+ was also communicated better, which obviously stands to make Disney money. IIRC people were given Genie+ on the first day it was available (or maybe a few days before) for free to try it out and probably generate positive feedback about it before it officially launched. Imagine if there were a Disney Parks blog like this along with YouTube videos to talk about the changes being made to DAS: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/08/introducing-disney-genie/

When Disney wants to, they know how to communicate changes appropriately. It simply comes down to Disney isn't really motivated (by profits) to properly communicate the changes.
I agree with so much of what you have said here. I think the thing that hits home the most is where you said that Disney doesn't understand their disabled customers. I have just joined this thread so maybe much of this has been said before. If so I apologize for the repetition. As someone who would to leave the line and reenter it, I worry that leaving the line will call attention to me and I worry about the reaction of the other guests when I have to reenter. This is something that I don't think Disney has thought out. Have they actually talked to people in these situations to get their feedback? It doesn't seem that way.

But why does it seem so haphazard? Because Disney doesn't really make any money off of this change. So their investment and interest in the change is much weaker than if they were going to stand to make money.
Yeah but does Disney often spend a lot of money on roll out of changes? Methinks typically no they don't and they likely expend less overall expenses on a variety of changes than one might assume. Frankly though I do think they are putting in some money here to partner with a 3rd party (that costs money), train certain employees, add other employees, implementing and creating whatever pass they may provide to people as well as rider switch, etc.

While haphazard may be in the eye of the beholder Disney isn't usually known for smooth rollouts. I think some people may be reading more into this as a personal attachment thinking Disney couldn't care less about them and their condition when at least IMO I think this is more par for the course on a multitude of changes Disney has made over the years..in other words they aren't treating DAS adjustments as somehow a way to be even more chaotic than normal just because it's related to DAS. That doesn't take away a sting when you're in the thick of that mess trying to figure it out just that I don't think Disney as a company is intentionally treating DAS as different than other changes they have made over the years in how they roll it out.

I'm sure you're aware but I thought I'd mention it due to the above. The Skyliner can shut down due to severe weather in the area. When that happens Disney will use buses to get you to and from the parks to the resorts serviced by the Skyliner (or vice versa). This may not impact you with your condition but still I thought I'd mention it since you selected Pop for that Skyliner access.
Thank you. Yes I am aware that can happen but lots of the time it runs well. I appreciate it's not a guarantee but it definitely will help. Like it did last time

I agree with so much of what you have said here. I think the thing that hits home the most is where you said that Disney doesn't understand their disabled customers. I have just joined this thread so maybe much of this has been said before. If so I apologize for the repetition. As someone who would to leave the line and reenter it, I worry that leaving the line will call attention to me and I worry about the reaction of the other guests when I have to reenter. This is something that I don't think Disney has thought out. Have they actually talked to people in these situations to get their feedback? It doesn't seem that way.

I will say, we don't know for certain, but early reports from a claimed operations CM is that returning to the line will be through the Lightning Lane, so you wouldn't necessarily draw attention to yourself when doing so. You would meet the rest of your party at the merge point where standby and lightning lane lines converge.

I can't really speak for exiting the line, as every line is different and finding a CM can be difficult.

In an earlier version of queue re-entry (called "bathroom pass") it was stated that you would receive a lanyard to identify that you were given a bathroom pass and could return to meet your party.

Currently the video chat CMs are recommending you talk to a CM before to join the standby line to ask about options. So if for example, you were given this lanyard (or some kind of pass) for return to queue when you joined the line, then you wouldn't need to find a CM before you exited and depending on the line, you might be able to exit quickly by opening some of the ropes. If you did not end up needing it, you could hand it to a CM before to boarded the ride.

At the end of the day, the recommendation to speak to a CM before you join the standby line is probably the best one and let them help you make a determination what option will work best for your situation.

As more people experience the various "new" accommodations available, I am sure we will get a better idea of how things work and you can decide what would work best for your situation.

Certainly, it would have helped if Disney would have communicated all of the options available and in a more defined way than they currently have. Most of the accommodations are listed on their website, but how they work in practice is not well documented imho.

Caught up after missing many pages since yesterday, and I’m kind of stunned that it sounds like SO much more is being added to the shoulders of attractions CMs. The underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, primary recipients of Guests’ ire… are now also responsible for deciding who gets alternate accommodations and which accommodations to issue?? While also trying to manage the usual queue and LL operations?! WDW has a hard enough time hiring and keeping CMs lately - I don’t think this is going to do the organization any favors.

Yeah but does Disney often spend a lot of money on roll out of changes? Methinks typically no they don't and they likely expend less overall expenses on a variety of changes than one might assume. Frankly though I do think they are putting in some money here to partner with a 3rd party (that costs money), train certain employees, add other employees, implementing and creating whatever pass they may provide to people as well as rider switch, etc.

While haphazard may be in the eye of the beholder Disney isn't usually known for smooth rollouts. I think some people may be reading more into this as a personal attachment thinking Disney couldn't care less about them and their condition when at least IMO I think this is more par for the course on a multitude of changes Disney has made over the years..in other words they aren't treating DAS adjustments as somehow a way to be even more chaotic than normal just because it's related to DAS. That doesn't take away a sting when you're in the thick of that mess trying to figure it out just that I don't think Disney as a company is intentionally treating DAS as different than other changes they have made over the years in how they roll it out.

They are putting in some money for sure, but if you compare it to the Genie+ rollout, Disney certainly put more effort into communicating that change (there were videos and blog entries, etc). If they stood to make money off of this change, would they have put in more effort? I am 100% sure they would have.

Look at the Attraction Queue Re-Entry instructions, this does not seem well communicated at all, it leaves everything up in the air until you are there and standing at entrance to the ride, and you don't even know if the process will be the same as they leave it up to each ride.

Attraction Queue Re-Entry
There may be times when a Guest must briefly step out of the standby line and then rejoin their party in the line. Every location has a defined process to support this option based on a person’s disability while the rest of the party remains in line.

How to Use Queue Re-entry

Speak to a Cast member at the location for directions on how to re-enter the queue.

A Cast Member will provide details about how to exit the queue and how to navigate back to your party.
While the Guest who must leave the line is briefly away, the rest of the party will remain in line.
The Guest reunites with their party to ride the attraction.
Note: Guests must meet boarding requirements to ride.

I really want to hear from someone who rides the haunted mansion since the change if they no longer tell you to fill in all available space before you enter the mansion. That would seriously be amazing if true. I can keep out of the crowd for this ride everywhere else but this extreme anxiety producing part.

The underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, primary recipients of Guests’ ire… are now also responsible for deciding who gets alternate accommodations and which accommodations to issue??
I don't believe the attraction CMs are making any determination of who gets what accommodation. There will be certain procedures they offer based on the attraction. A CM trained on operations for that attraction will know how to instruct me when I tell them I need to leave the queue.

Nailed it. I've been sitting here wracking my brain trying to figure out if there is ANY way any of this could work for my family. Typically it's me and my dad. He has complex physical disabilities that always qualified for DAS but apparently no longer will. I'm on the autism spectrum, but never needed DAS or any other accommodation, because I know how to handle my triggers and limitations.

OK, so the closest thing for us would probably be the one where he waits outside while I go through the standby line, and then I call him to come through the LL to meet me when I get to the merge point. Except:

1. There are times when he can't manage his conditions fully on his own and needs my help.
2. One of the main ways that I've historically managed my own issues is by having someone I know in line WITH me. If I'm solo at the parks, I simply don't get into a line that's more than 20 minutes, because that's about how long I have before a panic attack. When someone is with me, they can talk me through it and I can generally manage.

So: With the intersection of my Dad's needs and my needs...it's looking more and more like if we even try again, I'll need to try to get a DAS for myself. Because they won't give him one, he can't be the designated line holder, and I can't be the designated line holder. But I'm still incredibly reluctant to spend the money on tickets, because who knows if they'd decide that my needs are severe enough on their own, and they're not at all looking at the intersection between different people's needs within the same family.

Also...I smiled when you talked about physically wrangling your son. Please don't take this the wrong way, but my dad and I recently adopted a Dutch shepherd dog who's afraid of other dogs. Even though my dad has pretty severe physical issues, he has to go on every walk with us, because he's the only one with the hand and arm strength to safely control her if she comes face to face with another dog. Again, please don't take offense, it just made me smile.
My guess is they will offer the return to line stating you can both stand in line together and IF a need arises where either of you need to exit the line you can do so, together, then return together after the need is attended to.

This is what I think they will offer people who need to be with someone else but doesn’t ALWAYS have problems (like panic attacks sometimes happen but not always while in line).

Caught up after missing many pages since yesterday, and I’m kind of stunned that it sounds like SO much more is being added to the shoulders of attractions CMs. The underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, primary recipients of Guests’ ire… are now also responsible for deciding who gets alternate accommodations and which accommodations to issue?? While also trying to manage the usual queue and LL operations?! WDW has a hard enough time hiring and keeping CMs lately - I don’t think this is going to do the organization any favors.
Exactly my view too. While this makes life relatively easier for the CMs on video; it shifts a large segment of the ire to the CMs on the ground at the entrance queues which are already hard enough with masses rushing the entrance.

I hope that they delineate more clearly the specific accommodations each ride has to offer in a guide. Japan's give actual individual ride options; while WDW is a general 30,000 ft view:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/
At least there's typically 3-6 CMs on the larger rides to group assist.

My post says that very thing under the third point. The DD person would have to sue in federal court for an ADA violation. I wish any DD person (that doesn't have money like the Kennedys) all the luck in the world with paying for that lawsuit against TWDC. I mean a whole lotta luck.
OK. I can't be the only one here who doesn't recognize the nuances of suing in federal court vs a class action suit, so it seemed your initial statement about "conditioning their reasonable accommodation on a waiver of a legal rights" wasn't connecting.

My basic understanding is...if I feel I've been wronged then I contact a lawyer; in this situation it may need to be a lawyer licensed in FL because that's where the WDW parks are located and where the wrong occurred. That lawyer cannot conjoin my case with others' cases to create a single large class action suit. A class action may or may not actually apply to an individual's specific circumstances -- especially in a situation like DAS or other accommodations where each individual's needs may differ, which is part of why the class action was separated for the GAC suit.

Parents waive their children's rights to many things. However, I do know that if there is a strong enough case, most such waivers don't end up holding water and a lawsuit will still move forward in the courts.

I really want to hear from someone who rides the haunted mansion since the change if they no longer tell you to fill in all available space before you enter the mansion. That would seriously be amazing if true. I can keep out of the crowd for this ride everywhere else but this extreme anxiety producing part.

I haven't heard this.

Did you know that you can ask to skip the pre-show? We have done it a number of times for different reasons.

I just tried to register and was denied. Long-time DAS user who has a physical condition that I was born with resulting in my needing to leave the line multiple times if over 20-30 min (including DAS/LL line).

They offered return to queue and meet my party…even though my party is a small child who I would not leave alone. They suggested talking to a CM at each ride and explaining my ‘unique’ situation and they would try to help.

So there you have it.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I can’t remember now if I’ve seen it or not…

A DAS-holding friend needed to ask a DAS question while in the parks and Guest Services told them to use the chat and they’d be asked if they were in the park or not to prioritize wait time - that is exactly what happened and they got right through to a DAS CM. Good news for anyone needing to get through while in the parks!

Interesting post yesterday on the WDW Magic forums from someone who sounds like a CM:

Here is what I will say as far as what ppl who work in operations have to go off of right now:

DAS program is entirely run through Disney Central now. Guest Relations has ZERO access to DAS. For either granting passes or adding people to an existing pass. The most that guest relations can do is set you up with a video chat to a Disney Central CM. No exceptions to this are possible because only Disney Central CM's within the DAS team have access.

They are not going to give DAS out just by saying "ADHD" or "Autism." It's supposed to work like understanding why the person needs specifically DAS. But it's essentially geared only towards developmental disabilities. But they probably don't want to give it out to a 24 year old who has a college degree and a full time job as a barista, but also has documented ADHD. Why do you need it? Explain? That's the main thing in getting one once you are past the "developmental disabilities" threshold.

Front line CM'S at attractions have other options for those who don't have a DAS pass but come up and ask if they can use lightning lane for x, y, z, etc.

Options include:

Advising guests in parties of 2 or more to form a "buffer" around someone with claustrophobia or anxiety while waiting in standby. Because of this, property wide there is to be a removal of CM language involving "move all the way forward in line..." so there isn't any encouragement to crowd each other. Just to focus on moving forward.

If they need to use the restroom they are welcome to leave at any time and can flag down a cast member and their party can wait in the line for them to return. But the most accommodation they will get in this regard is to come back in through the lightning lane to find their party. Not skipping to the exit to meet them unless their bathroom emergency happens right before getting on the ride or something. But those accommodations already happen in those situations.

There is also another version, where let's say there is a party of 4 and one of the kids(or an adult) doesn't have a DAS pass and they just can't wait in the standby line. So, the person who can't wait is allowed to wait outside the ride with maximum 1 other member of the party while the other ppl go into the standby line and then when they get to the merge point(where LL joins standby) they can tell the merge CM that they have ppl outside and the merge CM will let them wait in a designated area at merge while the party members(not the CM!!!) Will call the rest of their party that is outside and tell them to come meet them. Then the greeter CM will let them in and they will still have to wait in the LL and join their party at merge to then continue. This option is a much longer wait than just standby obviously.

Rider switch as it currently exists is also a viable option for the CM's to suggest.

If none of these things work, CM's can give out the "return to queue" passes. But CM's have to sign into the podiums or iPads when they are in charge of the scanners or issuing redemptions. And Disney will be heavily auditing when these passes are given out. CM's better have a good reason to give one out and it's been made clear that if they even remotely question how many you are issuing, you will have to explain yourself in a formal meeting/investigation. Basically, CM's aren't going to give these out like candy unless they are stupid. Abd it's not even a good option, cause it's essentially DAS but you have to physically walk to the ride and you are beholden to your pass being based on the posted wait time. And if you are getting tons of these passes all the time, Disney is gonna know and will follow up(tour guides/influencer prevention), because they aren't a DAS alternative. It's a different accommodation.

As you can probably tell, none of these are as good as DAS and all of them are less convenient than just waiting in standby in terms of time. But they are accommodations. Disney seems to be hoping that none of these see heavy use by those that don't need them because they aren't better than standby.
-
As for changes to DAS, one thing is that after you scan in to your ride you will have to wait 10 minutes to book your next one. This is to reduce the advantage of the system and try to curb the ability to be in the LL for one ride and by the time you are off your ride you already have your next one ready to scan.
-
Everything that isn't the virtual meetings is coming down on the CM's who work on the frontline. Some agree with the changes, some don't. None of them are adversarial to guests needs, but this is essentially the framework in place now that they have to work in. Try to keep that in mind when visiting. And know again that the sheer amount of LL usage via the DAS system was out of control as many in here have expertly laid out. It couldn't continue as it was. I'm not saying these are the correct changes. But I am saying it's no shock Disney did something.

It was also stressed to CM's that Disney is listening and will be constantly willing to tweak the alternate accommodations other than DAS and co tinuing to tweak how DAS works. And the accommodations will probably become different based on the realities of each individual ride's operation. This is just the starting point. So make your voices heard!

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...sney-world-2024.983481/page-250#post-10929937

I keep flashing back to a convo I overheard between what I assume was a 3rd party tour guide training another one outside BTMRR where one was telling the other “you just make up a story to get them in the LL, say anything, just say anything because you have to to get them through the LL”

So these CMs already deal with crap like that. They don’t need more on their plates so I too am worried. I thought Disney would grant different things like you’re in the return to queue program, scan your MB with a CM on entry/exit to use it. I really did not see explaining your issues to frontline CMs at every ride before you enter or while you’re in the midst of them bubbling to the forefront for everyone to see as you try to emergency exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter