DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

For ILL, you could pay more to buy one, but you cannot cancel or modify the return time, meaning if you had an issue and miss your window, you're now at the mercy of a CM to help you and if they can't or won't (or you had to leave the park) you've now lost the money spent on that ILL. Some ILL rides have a Virtual Queue but the VQ line can be up to an hour wait.
Many people have reported that for ILLs in particular CMs are extremely flexible about late return times (outside of Tron).

Until we start hearing about mass refusals, I really wouldn’t stress about that.

DAS pre-selects and Genie+ are totally different. Disney absolutely has a record of expired Genie+ rides. And as someone else suggested, just take a screenshot if needs be.

I totally get that people want what they had (DAS). But that’s not an option anymore for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam. I’m just trying to provide a little bit of hope about why a Genie+ solution may not be as catastrophic as some here have made it out to be, especially if the alternative is no Disney at all.
They had a record of DAS preselects too. And screenshots. We ran into a few times where we were not long past the window, and were told it could not be used.

I understand you're trying to provide hope. But there should be some consistent basis on which to base that. And there currently is no data from which to expect that Disney will consistently accept late returns for Genie+ times. By the discretion of an individual CM is not an accommodation on which a person with a disability can rely.

With respect to Genie+ times expiring, I would *hope* that CMs would be understanding if you explained that you are a former DAS family and that you had a disability-related incident. They are great about transportation issues, dining reservations, bathroom issues for kids, and many MANY other things. As long as you aren’t trying to come back to Tron at night there really is no advantage of Genie+ during the day vs later. Personally I wouldn’t stress about that nearly as much as people seem to be.
Always screenshot your G+/ILL$ reservations. Having nothing whatsoever to do with disability status CM's can generally be very lenient if you provide a reason for why you missed your earlier LL.

Genie+ times disappear from the app outside the window.

So it's very stressful because you have no way to "prove" to the CM you had a genie+ time for this ride.
Always screenshot your G+ reservations. Not just for this reason, but because Disney's app can be glitchy. I once was told by a CM at MMRR that one of the 4 people in my travelling party did not have a LL reservation, and the fact that I had a screenshot of it is what saved us.

Many people have reported that for ILLs in particular CMs are extremely flexible about late return times (outside of Tron).

Until we start hearing about mass refusals, I really wouldn’t stress about that.

Last yr when we had das and got tron virtual que we had to miss our window due to a medical issue.(headed back to resort)
The cast member converted our vq to a lightning lane so we went later when we came back to the park.

Bump.

Not that it REALLY matters, but I am curious if anyone knows.

It seems like Disney missed the biggest point: as someone who has had to assist a neurodivergent individual in every aspect of their life, I am confident saying that the single, biggest thing you can do to help neurodivergent individual is provide complete predictability. Disney get an "F" for that with this implementation.
I'm not sure why the 10 minute delay after entering a line using a DAS Return Time to get another is an "F" for implementation. Some attractions have 2 scan points, but it has not been consistent that both are turned on. That part is not a change, so it was never predictable (at least at WDW ) whether or not guests could make a new DAS Return Time right after scanning in. Some people asked whether there were 2 scan points when they entered the line.
The reason it's random is to prevent guests from moving to the Lightning Lane from the Standby Line.
I understand - my post was in response to that they are going off of the need not the diagnosis. Based on the post, there was not a great enough need based on the person's autism (the person said "I am not high support needs"), but the person did say they had heat intolerance and a very severe skin condition - and according to the poster, these needs were ignored (at least for this person) because they were not developmental disabilities. The person mentioned that they go to the parks solo and the CM could not explain how the queue re-entry system would work only that the person should inquire at each ride.

What did I learn from this - albeit single example which could be down to the individual CM - we'll continue to find out more as more people report...

1. DAS is needs based, but the need must be due to a developmental disability.
2. Those with physical disabilities may not qualify any longer even if there is a valid need.
3. Solo and couple travelers may not qualify unless they would qualify due to a valid need and developmental disability.

It is cause for alarm imho since things are treated on a case by case basis, but if the diagnosis is not one that fits into their criteria of developmental disability it sounds like you will be denied.
The question would be how do the heat intolerance and skin condition prevent the guest from waiting in line? Just because it was not handled by giving DAS doesn't mean the needs were ignored.

I have read accounts from people who DID NOT fit into the criteria of developmental disability who were approved today for DAS at WDW. They reported they were handled on a case by case basis.
I just do not understand this at all. If DAS is approved for one person, I don’t see why it then has to be reviewed for the parties that you want to add. As long as it’s within the limits and you’re not changing it every day to try cheat the system.
I know no-one has these answers yet but this is a very strange and problematic choice if true.
It has been pretty clear from the beginning that one of the targets of the new limit has been unofficial 'tour guides' who were selling their 'DAS slots' as a way to tour with 'better access'.

Some 'influencers' were also bringing in 'rotating' groups connected to their DAS.
My understanding is that someone with a DAS could potentially sell access for a group vacationing.
Exactly. There reportedly were posts on Reddit and other places where people advertised to have people pay to join their DAS group.

I understand you're trying to provide hope. But there should be some consistent basis on which to base that. And there currently is no data from which to expect that Disney will consistently accept late returns for Genie+ times.

With a sample size of one family that visits WDW 2-3 times/year and has always bought Genie+/ILLs for every park day I have never had an issue with a late return.

Hopefully she was served a yellow trespass warning from Orange County’s finest.
No, she wasn't found out by police, she was outed in the group by another member she had DM'd after the member posted asking for trip advice. The group member claims to have reported her to Disney and made a post to warn others after the mod removed the member from the group since this person was still in other local groups in my area.

With all respect..
No. Not at all.

We've paid for Annual Passes, resorts, and airfare. And now at best will likely be limited to a small subset of attractions, none of which are our favorites, and most of which are not appealing to teens (my DAS Holder and sibling).

Not at all a solution. Fly across the country and don't get to ride the things they love most? Hard pass.
There will be families that Disney doesn’t work for anymore. That happened yo my family a few years ago so I understand the emotion.

After the dust settles though you (anyone in your position) may find somewhere your family likes better, especially teens! If Disney no longer works for them don’t try to force it.

I have personally witnessed people doing this and CMs denying them on multiple separate occasions.

I do not see it being a viable consistent strategy
My experience has been the opposite, but your mileage may vary I guess. If you are hours late with no reason, yeah they're going to deny you. But if you have a reason, really any valid reason, more often than not I've seen them grant access.

A mom in my local moms facebook group got caught doing this like 2 months ago. So it happens and is real
This was very notably an issue with third party tour guides, WDW had to crack down because apparently some guides were getting DAS and using it to give their tours the same access.

(Obviously worth noting that third party guides in general are against WDW rules but DAS abuse was a big reason for them putting a stop to it)

At this point it seems like very few cases of non-developmental disabilities will be approved for DAS but that SOME will be approved because of how the individual is able to describe their needs and it being made clear why the other options absolutely would not work for that individual.

I’m seeing reports of autism being denied as well (specifically in adults) which stresses me out slightly but it honestly seems like a lot of these people added autism to their list of needs as a last resort when their other needs were denied DAS. If autism (I really hope they described it and didn’t just say autism) is the very last reason you list for not being able to queue then that comes off as it being the least of your concerns and therefore (fairly, in my opinion) the cast member is probably assuming that it has low impact on your ability to queue. Or even worse, that you’re lying about it because based off the website you assumed it would get you approved and you’re resorting to claiming it when your legitimate reasons got denied.

There will be families that Disney doesn’t work for anymore. That happened yo my family a few years ago so I understand the emotion.

After the dust settles though you (anyone in your position) may find somewhere your family likes better, especially teens! If Disney no longer works for them don’t try to force it.
Thank you.

At this point my concern is the FIVE largely prepaid trips in the next 3 months where we will be either limited to a very small group of attractions or unable to enjoy the parks at all. As a family that purchased passes to enjoy our last summer together at a place where we've vacationed magically for decades before kids move away, I'm beyond pi#$#÷ off.

With a sample size of one family that visits WDW 2-3 times/year and has always bought Genie+/ILLs for every park day I have never had an issue with a late return.
Ok. And I have had issues when we've tried. I am not debating that it's happened positively for you. I'm glad it did! But cast member discretion is not an accommodation.

They had a record of DAS preselects too. And screenshots. We ran into a few times where we were not long past the window, and were told it could not be used.

I understand you're trying to provide hope. But there should be some consistent basis on which to base that. And there currently is no data from which to expect that Disney will consistently accept late returns for Genie+ times. By the discretion of an individual CM is not an accommodation on which a person with a disability can rely.
Consistent Disney is an oxymoron.
IMO, the only thing that might help those of us shut out of DAS is to take our vacation dollars elsewhere. If everyone who is angry sucks it up, goes anyway, buys Genie+, and pretends nothing is wrong, where is the incentive for Disney to help us?

Ok. And I have had issues when we've tried. I am not debating that it's happened positively for you. I'm glad it did! But cast member discretion is not an accommodation.
Issues with DAS pre-selects or paid Genie+/ILLs? Did you explain why you were late and were still denied?

Remember for Disney pre-selects were a “bonus” to DAS so it’s not surprising that they wouldn’t be honored if they expired.

Thank you.

At this point my concern is the FIVE largely prepaid trips in the next 3 months where we will be either limited to a very small group of attractions or unable to enjoy the parks at all. As a family that purchased passes to enjoy our last summer together at a place where we've vacationed magically for decades before kids move away, I'm beyond pi#$#÷ off.
Have you been denied under the new program?

Consistent Disney is an oxymoron.
IMO, the only thing that might help those of us shut out of DAS is to take our vacation dollars elsewhere. If everyone who is angry sucks it up, goes anyway, buys Genie+, and pretends nothing is wrong, where is the incentive for Disney to help us?
I believe that is what Disney is fully expecting. I also believe we are all going to experience growing pains with this until they see how their “weeding” process works

I was unable to experience Disney for several years due to a movement disorder (similar to Parkinson’s). A cast member suggested DAS to me on a visit where I was unable to experience anything with my family. It gave me my Disney joy back. I’m honestly not sure what we will be doing if I get denied accommodation. Just feels like a rug has been ripped out from under us after becoming a decent size owner in DVC and purchasing AP’s. Let the buyer beware…I get it. Still stings

Last yr when we had das and got tron virtual que we had to miss our window due to a medical issue.(headed back to resort)
The cast member converted our vq to a lightning lane so we went later when we came back to the park.
And that is exactly how DAS works for VQ attractions -- you obtain the VQ at 7am (or 1pm), when your boarding is called, it gets converted to a LL to use when you are ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter