DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

That person also said they have a skin condition and heat intolerance and it was downplayed (poster's words) and only "return to queue" was offered, even though this person goes to the parks alone. So it sounds like groups of 1-2 will not be offered any special accommodations other than "return to queue" as well.

So in terms of need, it seems like at least in this 1 example, they are keeping firm to needs being only developmental disabilities even if someone has a valid other medical reason.
That person also indicated they had autism and were still denied.

That language is not new. The first point has been on the Disney sites DAS pages since April 9. The only thing I see that's changed is it had said "small number of guests" in some places instead of "only those guests".
The other points have been on the Disney sites since 2013 when DAS started.
There were several places with information about DAS - the general DAS page, a link for more information under the registration process and then under the link for registration.
Each stated it a little differently, but they were essentially the same...
The Disney World site had the dates ending May 19th which, of course is no longer there. That must have been what confused me.

Boy, after reading some of the replies and additional comments to that Reddit post, I am even more grateful for our moderators here... wow, what a mess over there.
Threads like that, just contribute to the eventual future abuse. A lot of comments on what is/isn't getting approved, people now already saying I didn't even think to mention that I also have that when I got denied.

This is going to be exhausting. I know it will last 4 months if you're an AP holder but the anxiety of this meeting each time is going to be absolutely awful. Same goes for ticket based and families that visit regularly without APs.
It shouldn't cause any more anxiety than it has in the past. This is actually less frequent for APs than it has been for the past couple of years. Previously DAS was only valid for 60 days; now for APs it's valid for twice as long - 120 days. Those with individual trip tickets need to register for each trip, which probably the vast majority of those were greater than 60 days apart anyway.

I did my interview for my son yesterday. First of all it looked like my CM was sitting on her couch at home.

I felt a little like I was having to over explain but maybe I was just nervous. My sons reasons are some that fit what they have said would be covered even after the change but I still felt like it seemed weird.

I explained everything and then she said “so would he have to leave and be unable to return to the line”? Well yes for all the reasons I just explained so then I felt like I just completely repeated myself.

She did not indicate one way or the other if she could see he had had it before. She did not indicate if he would qualify in the future.

Before I was connected she made me drop dining reservations. We have 4 day tickets but when I originally made our dining reservations we had not decided for sure which days we were going to parks and which day was our rest day, so I had made dining reservations for 5 days (intending to drop the one as soon as we decided which day to not go to a park) She would not allow me to interview for DAS until I only had dining for the same number of days as my park ticket which I thought was really weird as anyone can make a dining reservation for any day or place and I had no idea it would be in any way related to DAS. So that kind of got me started off a little flustered bc I felt from the start that she thought I was trying to pull something (though I don’t know what).

She did not offer me pre selects and I didn’t ask bc the whole thing already felt weird.
I went back in the next day to the chat and asked about pre selects and the woman that time did them with me quickly and easily over chat.

Both for the approval and the pre selects I was connected quickly. About 15 minutes once and almost immediately the second time.

So all in all we got it but it felt weird but I may have just gotten a weird CM.
My CM mentioned one of my dining reservations too when I registered Friday. We were hopeful that Tiana's would open on Juneteenth and so we made an extra reservation in case we needed to switch our Epcot and MK days to be allowed to ride it. We hadn't cancelled it yet and he told me just to make sure we cancel it later.

Threads like that, just contribute to the eventual future abuse. A lot of comments on what is/isn't getting approved, people now already saying I didn't even think to mention that I also have that when I got denied.
Yep

Hopefully Disney is tracking denials to minimize the “just get a different CM or try a different disability “ phenomenon.

To be fair... if one must leave the queue for the rest of the day there is no line accommodation that will help.
With all respect, there is an accommodation for that, though: DAS. I didn’t go into detail earlier, but I’m coming from my perspective of a non-physical disability that’s also not DD, but shares many of the same traits that make extended time in lines a problem for those with DDs. If I have to leave the queue because my disorder’s been triggered, I’m not coming back any time soon - I’m leaving the park entirely to do what I need to do to reset. I wouldn’t classify that as “briefly leaving the line.” But with DAS I’m not in a triggering environment long enough to be triggered in the first place. I’m also a solo visitor, so it’s not a matter of leaving my family to ride while I manage myself. A return to line accommodation would not work for me and I think I’ll still be eligible for DAS going forward… but what I’m seeing from others today added to one specific question I was asked a couple days ago makes me think the precise wording and explanations Guests provide in the interviews matter more now than ever.

It seems like they’re really encouraging the return to queue option for a lot of people.
I haven’t been able to do much reading, but that’s exactly the impression I’m getting, too. RTQ (are we going with that as an acronym?!) seems to be the default accommodation and if it wouldn’t work for a Guest, I think said Guest is going to have to explain why in very clear terms. I called a couple days before the change, so under old rules, but my CM seemed to be heading that direction until I provided more detail.

Last edited:

It's true, but you're never going to be able to stop people from talking about possible abuse tactics. You can't fix people; you have to fix the system that enables the people who are abusing it.

FWIW, this is not a comment on whether or not I believe the system is "fixed." Just a comment on humanity.

Because it is needs based, not diagnosis based.
This cannot be emphasized enough, apparently. I think most people here seem to understand this, but so many people on the other board commenting about x disorder or diagnosis qualifying or not. Soandso got it for PTSD so that is still a qualifying disorder. Otherperson was denied for POTS so that is no longer a qualifying disorder. There is no such thing as a qualifying disorder/diagnosis. The qualifying factor is the need.

It shouldn't cause any more anxiety than it has in the past. This is actually less frequent for APs than it has been for the past couple of years. Previously DAS was only valid for 60 days; now for APs it's valid for twice as long - 120 days. Those with individual trip tickets need to register for each trip, which probably the vast majority of those were greater than 60 days apart anyway.
I appreciate what you're saying but I completely disagree. Even if I'm approved under the new rules, just knowing that I have to basically beg and plead my case again in four months gives me immense anxiety. Not to mention that I could still be denied depending on the CM who deals with me.
The extended time is nice, yes. But it doesn't make the situation any better for those worrying.

The old process was obviously more lenient (hence the change) but it never worried me whether I was going to be approved or denied every time I went to renew.

just confirming...10 minutes after the second scan point (on most LL attractions)?
Bump.

Not that it REALLY matters, but I am curious if anyone knows.

It seems like Disney missed the biggest point: as someone who has had to assist a neurodivergent individual in every aspect of their life, I am confident saying that the single, biggest thing you can do to help neurodivergent individual is provide complete predictability. Disney get an "F" for that with this implementation.

With all respect, there is an accommodation for that, though: DAS.

With all due respect...my comment, which you quoted, was specific to leaving the queue for the rest of the day. There is a difference between leaving "for a few hours" and "for the rest of the day." The latter absolutely cannot be accommodated by DAS because all return times expire at park close. So discussion of need for an accommodation for that scenario really doesn't belong here because it's not offered and not in question as to whether it may be offered.

I did not comment about leaving the queue "for a few hours." That is something about which we have not yet had direct reports, though it does seem as though Disney is pushing the Return to Queue option. Since that option has not been explained in detail it's hard to make a firm determination. I'm waiting on direct reports of how that works before jumping to conclusions.

That person also indicated they had autism and were still denied.

I understand - my post was in response to that they are going off of the need not the diagnosis. Based on the post, there was not a great enough need based on the person's autism (the person said "I am not high support needs"), but the person did say they had heat intolerance and a very severe skin condition - and according to the poster, these needs were ignored (at least for this person) because they were not developmental disabilities. The person mentioned that they go to the parks solo and the CM could not explain how the queue re-entry system would work only that the person should inquire at each ride.

What did I learn from this - albeit single example which could be down to the individual CM - we'll continue to find out more as more people report...

1. DAS is needs based, but the need must be due to a developmental disability.
2. Those with physical disabilities may not qualify any longer even if there is a valid need.
3. Solo and couple travelers may not qualify unless they would qualify due to a valid need and developmental disability.

It is cause for alarm imho since things are treated on a case by case basis, but if the diagnosis is not one that fits into their criteria of developmental disability it sounds like you will be denied.

Even if I'm approved under the new rules, just knowing that I have to basically beg and plead my case again in four months gives me immense anxiety.
I’ve always told myself I have an alternative plan if not approved, I will buy G+/ILLs and cut back other stuff to stiffen the financial hit. But yesterday’s convo just threw me despite its good outcome, I didn’t expect to get flustered like that- so I know the new questioning will way fluster me.

Going forward I’m going to budget and plan for G+/ILLs. If I get DAS approval I won’t need it but if I don’t I will have proactively prepared for it. Hopefully this puts me in a better headspace so the calls aren’t so nerve wrecking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter