DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Could be, but have you ever tried to get out of line with a rollator? We have and it didn’t work out well. Luckily the ride started back up and we were able to make our dining reservation. I just have a hard time believing people are not going to have a fit when someone is trying to get back to their family in line even with a card or something showing they had “permission” to leave and rejoin. And some of the lines are just not wide enough to maneuver with a mobility device if you have other issues that necessitate leaving the line.

Time will tell how this will all work. The thing that bugs me the most is the pitting of one group of disabled against another that I’ve seen. A very sad day for all.
I've posted previously about our experience when GAC was changed due to cheating. CMs put GAC users in the line willy nilly. We were put in front of a belligerent man. We allowed him and his group to go ahead of us because I was afraid he'd hit my daughter, my niece, or me. Now, Disney sells alcohol. IMO, that's adding fuel to what I'm afraid will be, in some cases, a volatile situation.
With the change, I'm happy this will be my last Disney trip.

That’s certainly discouraging.
Yes, I read the Reddit post and am very concerned about my mother’s disability. She cannot just wait and “recover” once an episode starts. We must do everything in our power to prevent it. To the point that we will wait for a LL to be shorter in order to make sure an episode does not begin. Her episodes require medical attention and leaving the park. We already use all kinds of techniques and still must work very hard to make sure she is ok. I’m not sure what we will do. We just purchased AP’s and I’m afraid they will be useless. We love Disney but we cannot risk her health.

Yes, I read the Reddit post and am very concerned about my mother’s disability. She cannot just wait and “recover” once an episode starts. We must do everything in our power to prevent it. To the point that we will wait for a LL to be shorter in order to make sure an episode does not begin. Her episodes require medical attention and leaving the park. We already use all kinds of techniques and still must work very hard to make sure she is ok. I’m not sure what we will do. We just purchased AP’s and I’m afraid they will be useless. We love Disney but we cannot risk her health.
This is a major concern for me as well -- taking steps to prevent a flare. I was really hoping under this new system it would be a real conversation with the cast member about needs but from reports thus far I'm feeling discouraged that's not the case.

That is hopefully what is going to be addressed, being able to access a CM in the regular line. I am positive as a company that Disney calculated the extra employee cost as opposed to the money more paid for LL’s will bring them.

It’s not in Disney’s interest at all to have “several daily brawls” splashed across social media. More employees have to be a part of this.
It's coming and the sad thing is a brawl may involve someone who is not able to defend him/her self. Praying the CMs will be taught or will handle this better because in the past that has not usually been the case. From videos I've seen, serious punches have been thrown before security arrives. Wonder if Disney will end up spending more on extra CMs and security and this will offset the additional revenue from Genie+? Silly me, because they'll just jack up the Genie+ cost.
Good thing Uni is expanding!

So am I understanding these tow things correctly?

Still 2-30 days prior to first park day and now you no longer choose 2 advanced selections?

I'm not gonna lie the advanced selections did not end up working for me anyways as they wanted to give me 2 attractions right next to each other several hours apart. So much of the time I just went with the same day access only.

Just returned from trip using old das that was still active when given for a March trip. I tried doing standby for some lines and mostly shows. For shows we just walked in before they started and that worked well since crowds were not so big as to have people who couldn’t get in to each show. I found I was really bothered by some lightning lanes. Can’t handle the fill in all available space stuff in haunted mansion and pirates and other rides. We are a party of 2 and there was no way to keep myself with much breathing room. I ended up just looking up at the ceiling as most of the times it is pretty high up to give an illusion of space and deep breathing. When cast members say if you can see floor you need to move up and if people don’t move up you can go ahead of them to fill in the space. I just hate that. Not sure how I will handle prolonged lines with tight crowds like pirates. I assume I won’t qualify under new rules and as a party of two I don’t want to wait away from my (grown) daughter. I use my ear plugs and breathing and stimming (usually rubbing my fingers together) but even lightning lanes with the das was rough. We stayed to the back for preshows and that helped. We definitely will buy genie plus and try to hit the times given. We missed at least half of our preselects. It will be different for sure but I will just have to see how it goes. I did not buy genie plus last trip. Just a couple of individual lightning lanes. I am still going to watch posts to see what happens next week but am preparing to tour without the das and hope for the best and do all I can to minimize my anxiety

You sound like me. I hate when they start saying fill in all the available space! That puts people way too much in my bubble. I always tell people that social distancing was one of the greatest things to happen in my life. Gave me the space I needed to feel less anxiety. I really try with lines and often do the rubbing of my fingers together thing (goes back to a little kid with my blanket) and gives me some sense of calm.

LL’s are NOT going away? Just purchase Genie+ when your mom will be with you?

Disney really needs to put out a statement that they are NOT preventing anyone from using the LL’s. They are just making changes to the free services they provided in the past.

Still 2-30 days prior to first park day and now you no longer choose 2 advanced selections?
I think the "2" part has gone away -- you can register for DAS up to 30 days prior to first park day. That can even be the day prior.

Correct about the Advanced Selections. It's possible such may be offered as an accommodation for a few individuals, but it is no longer an automatic offering with DAS.

LL’s are NOT going away? Just purchase Genie+ when your mom will be with you?

Disney really needs to put out a statement that they are NOT preventing anyone from using the LL’s. They are just making changes to the free services they provided in the past.
We already purchase LL as a technique and use DAS. The issue with LL is they expire, if my mom needs time, DAS gives you the ability to wait until she is ready. Also if a LL is too long, we wait for it to be shorter to prevent an episode-DAS does not expire-so you have flexibility. Look bottom line is we adore Disney, but I’m not risking the health of my mother for a ride on Peter Pan.

from a different board I am also on:

"Well, it's official... I was just denied my DAS. I am a Cast Member and Disney has proof of my disabilities, and they provide me accommodation while I work, but apparently the new system is so restrictive that I do not qualify for accommodations while I come in on my days off. I have POTS, Hashimoto's, a very severe skin condition, and autism."

"Well, it's official... I was just denied my DAS. I am a Cast Member and Disney has proof of my disabilities, and they provide me accommodation while I work, but apparently the new system is so restrictive that I do not qualify for accommodations while I come in on my days off. I have POTS, Hashimoto's, a very severe skin condition, and autism."
I'm sorry.

I saw that... and the poster went on to explain they are "not high support needs." So that sounds as though it fits the new wording that DAS is for those unable to wait. The poster didn't explain what about those diagnoses (NOT needs) might mean they are unable to wait in a standard queue.

We already purchase LL as a technique and use DAS. The issue with LL is they expire, if my mom needs time, DAS gives you the ability to wait until she is ready. Also if a LL is too long, we wait for it to be shorter to prevent an episode-DAS does not expire-so you have flexibility. Look bottom line is we adore Disney, but I’m not risking the health of my mother for a ride on Peter Pan.
That is the exact type of issue that Disney needs feedback on. For guests with special needs that already purchase LL’s, if they have a health episode in park, can their LL be extended without expiring. I’m sure that is a solution Disney would be open to (in a limited way) since DAS is no longer an option.

Someone needs to suggest that on social media and see if they can get Disneys attention.

I saw that... and the poster went on to explain they are "not high support needs." So that sounds as though it fits the new wording that DAS is for those unable to wait. The poster didn't explain what about those diagnoses (NOT needs) might mean they are unable to wait in a standard queue.
That is how I took it as well after reading the updates, which honestly fits with how things should go...it's not about the diagnosis, it's about the need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter