DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Thanks for the travelingbaby link - we didn't see that one before the trip. For the convaid it's unclear if it comes with the sunshade as it's not in the description and most pics don't have it. If they do come with the sunshade that could definitely work, so thank you.

The tomato, while having a weight capacity to 90lbs, according to the manufacturer site is meant to cap out, height wise, at 50". DD is taller than that.

The city mini that onestopmobility has is not a special needs stroller, and our child has outgrown it by both height and weight (same with BOBs). We had been renting city mini GTs on both coasts, til she outgrew it :)

City Stroller Rentals had been renting out the Axiom Lassen Mobility Pushchair, which had a larger height and weight capacity. Sadly I just went to their site and confirmed they have removed it. 😢

At Disney world, we've rented the Advanced Mobility Liberty from Kingdom Strollers (now discontinued model and it looks like they now have the Axiom Lassen 2), and the Advanced Mobility Freedom from Scooterbug. Sadly the Anaheim location for scooter bug doesn't have a special needs stroller listed either :(
https://www.scooterbug.com/book-anaheim-freedom-push/

It wasn't required at WDw either - I honestly didn't even realize it was outside the length requirement because it was never even questioned
Yup. They apparently only made that rule to try to stop wagons? But wagons were already under those limits. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

A warning on the freedom. My 4 yo climbed in the freedom last night when I turned my back for one second to grab his melatonin and it completely tipped over. No issues for my 8&9 yo’s but since his short legs didn’t balance the weight it tipped. There was nothing else in it or on it.

I've seen the Freedom listed as anywhere from 63" to 69", so I'm not sure which is accurate. But yes over the Disney parks stroller size of 31"x52". I'm not sure what's the difference by "brand name" but BabyJogger, Advanced Mobility and Adaptive Star all appear to have the same 2 products -- the Liberty and Freedom, or also called the Axiom Lassen 2 and 3 and Axiom Improv 2 and 3. They probably don't require a stroller-as-wheelchair tag because they are so large. ScooterBug Anaheim's website indicates it can only be rented for "qualified" individuals but no idea how that is determined.

The Convaid doesn't come with a canopy. There may or may not be one as an add-on if you were to purchase it. There are actually several other styles of Convaid available for purchase as well.

If the convaid doesn't come with a canopy from traveling baby, then other than Scooterbug that would eliminate the adapted stroller options for us at Disneyland. Not only is some level of shade important for her, but traveling in January on either coast increases chances of rain, and having a rain cover for that has been very important.

FWIW, we did get the stroller as a wheelchair tag when we've used the Advanced Mobility Freedom in the past and it was never indicated to us that it wasn't necessary (we also did for the Axiom Lessen at DLR this past January, and they also didn't indicate that it wasn't necessary).

Our insurance won't cover an adapted stroller for DD because she doesn't require it in the home. So while we're looking for one at home to possibly have covered by a grant, we'd prefer not to travel with it if at all possible given how horrible airlines are with disability equipment.

It’s all based on theories so we need to stop. But I am one that mentioned early in the thread a person could be given a theoretical accommodation of rider switch for bathroom issues. But that won’t work for someone who is traveling solo. So to qualify for a DAS with 3 friends a scammer could say but it’s just me, that won’t work, then try to switch it later saying, friends joined. If this *theoretical* DAS FOR 1was their designation they’d be told to use rider switch, the original accommodation they qualified for.

Scammers gonna scam one way or another - but I still would rather things be able to change more easily in the case of PrincessV rather than thinking about possible scammers and what loopholes they might be looking for. We also don't know how rider swap will work for WDW.

The reality is that we can only see by May how things will work.

Either way, my main pushback is the idea that an adult using a DAS should have to be alone waiting because they aren't a kid and that it is a 'want' to have others wait with them. That's not always the case after all.

I agree that pulling is inappropriate. I edited my post to say stroller wagons. My stroller wagon doesn't even have that option. It’s the seating layout that allows 2 bigger kids.

I debunked the visibility theory. I cannot see past the shade on the disability stroller I have. I don’t remember if I could when I was using a large 2 seat stroller (it’s been 2 years since they fit in one), but I don’t think I could. It’s possible there are strollers with worse visibility. Perhaps when they have those rectangular shade toppers with a short parent they would have terrible visibility.

I can agree in part with your steerability theory, it depends on the brand and I don’t think they can disallow brands, only classes of ADA devices. There is one brand that I tried out and returned because it was a beast to push even with 50 pounds of kids. The stroller wagon I have I was able to push with 1 hand with 140 pounds of kids in it. I tested it 2 days ago to be able to write a product review.

It is possible there are more wagon collisions. Regular stroller collisions should be included. I got hit from the back yesterday! 😂
Agreed. While I understand the need to stick to “rules are rules” when you are talking a world wide vacations destination…
But, common sense and workability should be considered and with your scenario it sounds like there are not many good alternate accommodations while navigating the parks.
Not sure why the medical exemption wasn’t allowed. I am sorry it has made your trip less workable😒

Why would they NEED to help the other person? Disney only needs to accommodate a disabled individual's needs, not someone's wants.

A suggestion from Disney could be for possible drop-in travel companions to buy Genie + and to enter LL's together when it's the Genie + members time to go. Another could be to let the non-Genie person wait in line for about the length of standby before the DAS member enters LL.

Many ways for Disney to accommodate the solo disabled traveler without having to accommodate the non-disabled adult traveler who might stop in to the trip. If the solo disabled traveler can travel alone, they already show they don't need the companion pass and a DAS of 1 would be sufficient for need.

It may not be what a DAS holder wants. But return to line and other non-DAS options may not be what other disabled folks want, either. Everyone will fall into the "Disney is looking much more at needs vs wants" policy.
Exactly. And I say that understanding that as a park guest if I were in that situation I would be annoyed if it became challenging to use my AP the way I wanted and tour with friends…
But looking at it from the standpoint of a company trying to run a theme park, offer reasonable accommodations and prevent fraud .. I can see where the need to have a tighter rein on who is this program is important for logistics.

I thought it meant trips starting May 20th, which guests would be registering for now. ??
It’s confusing lol… I was talking to a CM earlier and he said the way he understands it is that people registering for those trips that take place after May 20th… will register now under the old (current rules) as to qualifications …

But, once they arrive for those trips.. any aspects of the new rules that apply to using the DAS will be in effect (or transitioning to be in effect)

Scammers gonna scam one way or another - but I still would rather things be able to change more easily in the case of PrincessV rather than thinking about possible scammers and what loopholes they might be looking for. We also don't know how rider swap will work for WDW.

The reality is that we can only see by May how things will work.

Either way, my main pushback is the idea that an adult using a DAS should have to be alone waiting because they aren't a kid and that it is a 'want' to have others wait with them. That's not always the case after all.

I don’t even care if the person that needs DAS is an adult and doesn’t need someone to support them. Why is it fair that they have to go on rides or wait on their own just because they have a reason that they can’t wait in line like everyone else. Edit to say yes I know Disney’s a business and they can do what they want , but it’s also supposed to be a magical place for families so by excluding one family member it doesn’t make it all that magical now does it?

Last edited:
Why would they NEED to help the other person? Disney only needs to accommodate a disabled individual's needs, not someone's wants.

A suggestion from Disney could be for possible drop-in travel companions to buy Genie + and to enter LL's together when it's the Genie + members time to go. Another could be to let the non-Genie person wait in line for about the length of standby before the DAS member enters LL.

Many ways for Disney to accommodate the solo disabled traveler without having to accommodate the non-disabled adult traveler who might stop in to the trip. If the solo disabled traveler can travel alone, they already show they don't need the companion pass and a DAS of 1 would be sufficient for need.

It may not be what a DAS holder wants. But return to line and other non-DAS options may not be what other disabled folks want, either. Everyone will fall into the "Disney is looking much more at needs vs wants" policy.
They are not helping the other person. They are allowing the DAS holder the opportunity to be with their friends/family.

I don't think a DAS holder should have to spend the day alone just because they are capable of spending the day alone.

It’s all based on theories so we need to stop. But I am one that mentioned early in the thread a person could be given a theoretical accommodation of rider switch for bathroom issues. But that won’t work for someone who is traveling solo. So to qualify for a DAS with 3 friends a scammer could say but it’s just me, that won’t work, then try to switch it later saying, friends joined. If this *theoretical* DAS FOR 1was their designation they’d be told to use rider switch, the original accommodation they qualified for.
I'm not a coder myself, but it seems like it should be possible to make it so that people who said they needed DAS instead of Rider Switch because they were traveling solo couldn't later add people to their party in MDE. Or so that if they DID add people to their party, the DAS would revert to Rider Switch. If this app is as great and powerful as Disney makes it out to be, it ought to have that capability.

They are not helping the other person. They are allowing the DAS holder the opportunity to be with their friends/family.

I don't think a DAS holder should have to spend the day alone just because they are capable of spending the day alone.
Yes, I don't believe Disney should be in the business of splitting up families. The whole family having fun together is one of the principles the parks were founded on in the first place.

I'm not a coder myself, but it seems like it should be possible to make it so that people who said they needed DAS instead of Rider Switch because they were traveling solo couldn't later add people to their party in MDE. Or so that if they DID add people to their party, the DAS would revert to Rider Switch. If this app is as great and powerful as Disney makes it out to be, it ought to have that capability.

As someone who has previously worked on app development: it is something that an app could be capable of and would solve that loophole. Whether MDE is capable of such a thing however... one can only hope haha.

I don’t even care if the person that needs DAS is an adult and doesn’t need someone to support them. Why is it fair that they have to go on rides or wait on their own just because they have a reason that they can’t wait in line like everyone else. Edit to say yes I know Disney’s a business and they can do what they want , but it’s also supposed to be a magical place for families so by excluding one family member it doesn’t make it all that magical now does it?
Who said or implied that? DAS guests get 3 guests. I’ll sorry it’s confusing that people brought up speculation idea as about the DAS for 1 again. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I thought we were supposed to stop the speculating and theorizing about who will get DAS how Disney could manage accommodations and hie many people someone could have attached to DAS.
Agree.

NO details have been released by Disney on how things will be handled, so people need to stop speculating.

The ADA construction and facilities regulations regarding theme parks require at least ONE companion seat for each accessible ride or theater seat so that no one has to ride or sit alone.
Those guidelines only cover construction and facilities, but other guidelines cover administration/procedures. I can't locate them, but I know they would also prohibit segregating a person with a disability by making them tour alone in order to get accommodations they need

The new rules DAS interviews begin on May 20th which means the rules apply to those whose trips begin on June 20th unless something changes again.
And anyone applying on May 20th or after regardless of their trip date (since you could in theory apply day of, it’d just be via video chat at WDW instead of with a live person).

Essentially the easiest way to think of it is this:

Applying May 19th or earlier for WDW DAS? Old Qualification Rules & Party Size Rules but possible new changes to how DAS works in the parks while you’re there (Ex. 10 minute rule).

Applying May 20th or after for WDW DAS? ALL New Rules Apply. New process in parks starts. New accommodation options SHOULD be available to utilize in the parks and therefore will be assigned instead of DAS for some guests.

All these date specifics make my head hurt but at least we mostly get how the transition will work now 😂

I think it should definitely require some sort of actual diagnoses note/confirmation from a confirmed medical doctor or equivalent. It would be much harder to fake than just lying in an interview and would cut down on a ton of the abuse by itself.

They have spent a lot of time making sure their lines are accessible with ECVs and wheelchairs so that physical disabilities shouldn't need DAS. So it makes sense that it's just going to be cognitive/developmental disabilities that need it now.
I absolutely agree that people should have to provide some sort of actual dignoses note. And agree with the statement that people using the ECVs / wheelchairs now should potentialy no longer be needing the DAS.
However, there are a lot of other hidden disabilities other than cognitive / developmental disabilities out there that are not falling trough the cracks. Especially thinking of people with IBD who need to have access to a bathroom and can't wait in line for an extended period of time based on that condition. Having to leave the regular line and join it again will be a total nightmare for the affected as they will have to explain themselves over and over again when passing people in line to catch up to their previous spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter