DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I would appreciate a little bit of reassurance. I am pretty sure, I will be denied for DAS, despite having cerebral palsy, autistic traits and accomodations in all other areas of my life. This is what baffles me most...if disney ask me, how do I cope in line at the grocery store? The answer is I don't, my family who care for me do that for me. At the airport? We get disability assistence. Every theme park I have ever attended, my whole life...I have qualified for accomodations, but it's not enough for disney.

Anyway...whether Disney think I qualify for DAS or not, I still can't wait in extended lines. Entering and leaving if needed won't really work, if the symptoms occur that are the reason I struggle with lines happen, the rest of the day is a loss for me. So, can someone tell me: is it a certainty that if I explain to a cast member I can't wait in line, they will allow me to wait outside the line, somewhere cool and quiet, with my carer, while the other two members of our party wait the standby line? Then our party can somehow contact us and we can join them? Have I read that's possible? Otherwise, any ride about a 30 minute wait is out of the question for me.

I will not even be able to utilise, multipass and pay, which was my plan, as I am outside the US and by the time I get to the US and can book (the night before my trip starts) I'm sure all big attractions will be booked up. It is so upsetting.
Two things -
1)based on what you are saying, I think explaining to them your regular life and the assistance you need may get you a DAS anyway. Take notes, or have a carer help you make some notes on your needs so you feel prepared and can calmly speak to Disney about your needs in advance. When put on the spot we all tend to miss some of the bigger things we need to say, preparing can help prevent the panic effect.
2)If DAS doesn't work out, yes, you have read that is possible and you would talk to the cast member at the entrance to the line.

As far as multipass - how long will you be on property? I would expect anything 4+ days out would still have fairly good selection, and once it comes out we may know more. A lot of people aren't planners, and many aren't going to realize they can prebook until they are there anyway.

I would appreciate a little bit of reassurance. I am pretty sure, I will be denied for DAS, despite having cerebral palsy, autistic traits and accomodations in all other areas of my life. This is what baffles me most...if disney ask me, how do I cope in line at the grocery store? The answer is I don't, my family who care for me do that for me. At the airport? We get disability assistence. Every theme park I have ever attended, my whole life...I have qualified for accomodations, but it's not enough for disney.

Anyway...whether Disney think I qualify for DAS or not, I still can't wait in extended lines. Entering and leaving if needed won't really work, if the symptoms occur that are the reason I struggle with lines happen, the rest of the day is a loss for me. So, can someone tell me: is it a certainty that if I explain to a cast member I can't wait in line, they will allow me to wait outside the line, somewhere cool and quiet, with my carer, while the other two members of our party wait the standby line? Then our party can somehow contact us and we can join them? Have I read that's possible? Otherwise, any ride about a 30 minute wait is out of the question for me.

I will not even be able to utilise, multipass and pay, which was my plan, as I am outside the US and by the time I get to the US and can book (the night before my trip starts) I'm sure all big attractions will be booked up. It is so upsetting.
I don’t think anyone can provide you with certainty, but I hope this will offer some reassurance…

Firstly for the DAS call, be sure to describe your needs, not diagnosis. Why can’t you wait in lines - what about the experience is problematic and what happens if you try? I think explaining how you handle - or avoid - similar experiences in everyday life will help.

If denied DAS, my own experience and that of some others I’ve seen has been that CMs in the parks are trying very hard to provide options. Again, you do not need to explain anything in detail - a simple “I’m not able to wait in the line itself and need to have a caregiver with me - the other members of our party can wait in the line: how do we meet back up with them to ride?” Exactly how that will happen is dependent at on the attraction’s layout, but more than likely you’ll be told to meet your party by going through the LL and meeting them at the merge.

This process is only a few weeks old and already people seem to be figuring out the “script” by process of elimination of what doesn’t work. I wouldn’t be surprised if within a few months it will be very obvious to know what to say to get a yes, and then Disney will need to figure out yet another way to crack down on overuse/abuse.

This is why I mentioned a few weeks ago that use in the parks will probably play into the 2nd round of renewals. If folks stumbled on the "right words" and then showed super-user status in the parks, it's likely they'll get downgraded. If folks used the "wrong words" but then showed little park riding in parks, they'll likely get upgraded. The goal will be for DAS user usage to equal standy user usage for the same amount of park hours per guest. Someone in stats is surely monitoring this...

This is not a "one and done" change by Disney, but probably a continual year long process of trial and error.

This is why I mentioned a few weeks ago that use in the parks will probably play into the 2nd round of renewals. If folks stumbled on the "right words" and then showed super-user status in the parks, it's likely they'll get downgraded. If folks used the "wrong words" but then showed little park riding in parks, they'll likely get upgraded. The goal will be for DAS user usage to equal standy user usage for the same amount of park hours per guest. Someone in stats is surely monitoring this...

This is not a "one and done" change by Disney, but probably a continual year long process of trial and error.
Being a “super-user” has no bearing on the need for the accommodation. The idea that a “super-user” is not really in need of accommodations shows you don’t understand the variety of needs people present with.

This process is only a few weeks old and already people seem to be figuring out the “script” by process of elimination of what doesn’t work. I wouldn’t be surprised if within a few months it will be very obvious to know what to say to get a yes, and then Disney will need to figure out yet another way to crack down on overuse/abuse.

It’ll be renamed DAS+ and we’ll have to get up at 7am to purchase it, but only if we demonstrate the ability to hop on one foot while holding a Mickey bar under the Florida sun without it melting.

Has anyone reported success with using return to line?

I’ve seen a lot of people reporting they are told to use this, but only a couple of reports where someone tried and got nowhere.

I’m probably just missing the successful reports, but I’d love more details on how this works in real life, not the way the CM on the call thinks it does which is all I’ve read about so far.

I would suggest NOT waiting in line to retry for DAS in the park. Since implementation, once you get a No on the phone, Disney is VERY unlikely to change its decision until you have used the other accommodations in the park. So, no sense ruining your 1st day at the parks before you even start with the alternate accommodations by waiting in an hours-long line for a DAS unlikely to be given.
Agreed. Someone wrote to me the other day that she's called in *6 different times* to try for DAS and was denied all 6 times. She was going to try in the park next. I really don't think multiple attempts without any attempts to at least TRY the recommended accommodations first will result in anything other than a flag on their account.

Has anyone reported success with using return to line?
I’ve seen a few reports of Attraction Queue Re-entry, though not a lot. It really varies — based on attraction, how many in the party, line/crowd situation, etc. Those with someone to hold their place in the queue were texted when the party neared the merge so the individual could enter the LL and rejoin the party. Solos reports vary more - given a lanyard, given a card, told to see the CM on return, sent directly through LL, etc. I’m not sure I’ve read any reports of a digital return time issued.

I 100% knew what I could have said during the interview to get DAS. It is not hard to figure out.

I have a lot of respect for you @voxparse
I appreciate it. I have some hard lines I won’t cross. Admittedly there aren’t many but there are a couple lol. One of those is misrepresenting my disability. I know a lot of people with some absolute bonkers disabilities and when I get in my feelings about mine I remember losing in 1 on 1 wheelchair basketball to a dude with no hands and I keep going.

Being a “super-user” has no bearing on the need for the accommodation. The idea that a “super-user” is not really in need of accommodations shows you don’t understand the variety of needs people present with.
Maybe, maybe not. Admittedly, I don't know what Disney (or anyone for that matter, as it could differ) would define as a "super-user". But based on the granularity of the data that Disney was able to provide for the individual guest in the GAC lawsuit, they obviously have the ability to know what every individual is doing at any given time in the park, and how many attractions each guest is experiencing.

Will they provide that level of data (down to the individual guest) to the CMs who are taking DAS calls? Highly doubtful at this point because of the level of data parsing that would be needed to provide it on-demand during a phone call.

But will they be tracking the number of attractions DAS users are experiencing v. those without DAS? There is no question in my mind that yes, they will be. Just like us, Disney knows that as time goes on, people will learn what words they need to use in order to get DAS, so it would be foolish for them to not be thinking ahead to next steps, i.e., how to cut back (again) on DAS users. They should be looking at and comparing like situations, i.e., comparing DAS users without multipass to non-DAS users without multipass, DAS users with multipass to non-DAS users with multipass. If those numbers are relatively the same, then no issue. If DAS users, on average, are experiencing many more attractions than non-DAS users, then yes, I can absolutely see Disney re-adjusting either the DAS approval process or the usage rules.

Maybe, maybe not. Admittedly, I don't know what Disney (or anyone for that matter, as it could differ) would define as a "super-user". But based on the granularity of the data that Disney was able to provide for the individual guest in the GAC lawsuit, they obviously have the ability to know what every individual is doing at any given time in the park, and how many attractions each guest is experiencing.

Will they provide that level of data (down to the individual guest) to the CMs who are taking DAS calls? Highly doubtful at this point because of the level of data parsing that would be needed to provide it on-demand during a phone call.

But will they be tracking the number of attractions DAS users are experiencing v. those without DAS? There is no question in my mind that yes, they will be. Just like us, Disney knows that as time goes on, people will learn what words they need to use in order to get DAS, so it would be foolish for them to not be thinking ahead to next steps, i.e., how to cut back (again) on DAS users. They should be looking at and comparing like situations, i.e., comparing DAS users without multipass to non-DAS users without multipass, DAS users with multipass to non-DAS users with multipass. If those numbers are relatively the same, then no issue. If DAS users, on average, are experiencing many more attractions than non-DAS users, then yes, I can absolutely see Disney re-adjusting either the DAS approval process or the usage rules.
You really don’t know what you’re talking about here. Some people that need DAS, even under the new standards, can hang all day in a park if the lines are manageable for them. Having a disability doesn’t mean having to stop after three rides.

I know Disney tracks. But I guarantee if Disney looks at their data and sees a DAS user staying all day, riding rides, and spending more than they would if they left the park early, they aren’t going to revoke their DAS. They’ll say it’s working. Their goal is to keep you IN the park spending money. Can’t do that if you leave.

But thinking all people that use DAS should only be doing less rides than others because they have a disability is laughable. It’s a misunderstanding of the issues at hand. You’re just making assumptions in your head.

ETA: I didn’t realize which thread this was, I thought I was in discussion or I never would’ve responded here. Apologies.

You really don’t know what you’re talking about here. Some people that need DAS, even under the new standards, can hang all day in a park if the lines are manageable for them. Having a disability doesn’t mean having to stop after three rides.
Of course not, no one ever said or implied that. What I'm talking about is like times, i.e., comparing DAS users to non-DAS users over the same period of time.

I know Disney tracks. But I guarantee if Disney looks at their data and sees a DAS user staying all day, riding rides, and spending more than they would if they left the park early, they aren’t going to revoke their DAS. They’ll say it’s working. Their goal is to keep you IN the park spending money. Can’t do that if you leave.
Agree - again, I'm talking about comparisons over the same period of time, not looking at "Oh, a DAS user stayed all day, so they don't really need the DAS". The former is a valid comparison, the latter is not.

But thinking all people that use DAS should only be doing less rides than others because they have a disability is laughable.
I agree, it is laughable. Of course, neither I nor the PP who mentioned this ever said or implied that DAS uses should be doing less than non-DAS users.

It’s a misunderstanding of the issues at hand. You’re just making assumptions in your head.

Or perhaps you're reading things into my post that I neither believe, said, nor implied.

But you're correct, wrong thread to discuss, my apologies as well.

ETA: I didn’t realize which thread this was, I thought I was in discussion or I never would’ve responded here. Apologies.
But you're correct, wrong thread to discuss, my apologies as well.
Correct. Please take speculative posts to another thread. Such discussions are not helpful to folks trying to find real information about the current DAS situation.

Thank you.

But thinking all people that use DAS should only be doing less rides than others because they have a disability is laughable. It’s a misunderstanding of the issues at hand. You’re just making assumptions in your head.

When it comes to an idea such as the "super user" - defending this is a concept seems like a general misunderstanding of what accommodations are meant for.
If, for example, a typical user without a disability could get on 15 rides, And people are able to manipulate the system so that using the disability pass they are getting on 30 rides, that is absolutely something that should be evaluated.

Accommodations are supposed to level the playing field not give someone a notable advantage. If someone is using them to gain a significant advantage, is completely reasonable for there to be questions about why it is felt the accommodation is needed And there likely are adjustments that need to be made because that is not reasonable.

You did not understand what she said at all.

A DAS user staying all day, riding rides and spending money is absolutely a good thing and working as intended. It means the need matches the accommodation provided (DAS). It's not about folks wanting DAS users to go on LESS rides at all. It's about DAS users having a similar/ average experience compared to non-DAS guests. Which is what DAS is supposed to achieve.

If a DAS user is having a better experience that a non-DAS guest, for example going on 20 rides vs 10. Then it should 100% be evaluated if the guest's needs match the accommodation.

When it comes to an idea such as the "super user" - defending this is a concept seems like a general misunderstanding of what accommodations are meant for.
If, for example, a typical user without a disability could get on 15 rides, And people are able to manipulate the system so that using the disability pass they are getting on 30 rides, that is absolutely something that should be evaluated.
The idea of a super user at rides per day is flawed if the rumor that heavy use from local APs & CMs was a main driver of what caused the system to collapse is true. They might only do a few rides a day but the constant visits would make usage add up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest