DAS Card - are we eligible?

Louise Potts

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone

We are booked for 2 weeks next July and although I have been to WDW 3 times I have not ever thought of seeing if I am eligible for a DAS card.

I have an Ileostomy bag (so need frequent trips to bathroom) and also have a Spinal Cord Stimulator fitted inside my back for pain control.

Both of these make standing in long lines tricky but I don't usually mention my conditions to anyone and don't class myself as disabled.

My Husband has Crohns Disease too so he often needs a bathroom.

What are people's thoughts? I have done WDW before without a DAS card so feel a bit of a fraud trying to get one now but it would certainly make life a lot easier now I know it's an option.

Any thoughts on whether I should be eligible or advice on how to obtain one would be greatly appreciated.

One final question - I have a Radar key to access disabled toilets in the UK as I need a toilet with a sink next to it for my bathroom visits. Do Radar keys work in WDW?

Thanks

Louise

When you get to one of the parks, go to Guest Relations and explain to the cast member why you need a DAS. You do not need to give a diagnosis, but rather explain why you are unable to wait in lines. The cast member will then determine if you qualify.

I had to google radar key. No such thing exists here in the US. If you need to use a larger stall, there are companion restrooms which look like the radar key restrooms except the sink may not be reachable from the toilet. You can also go to the first aid station in each park to take care of your needs.

Radar keys look like a UK specific thing. Since you would need the sink, you would likely need companion restrooms or first aid since the handicapped stalls in WDW are literally that - larger stalls in a community bathroom.

No one can answer whether you would receive a DAS or not. There have been varying reports of receiving one with Crohns, etc. Best you can do is go to Guest Services and explain why you cannot wait in a line.

the DAS is only for reasons why you cannot wait in line. any stamina or mobility issues would NOT qualify for a DAS and the standard response by Disney is to use a Mobility aid/device such as a wheelchair, ECV or rollator.

we do not use radar keys or restrict access to handicapped stalls/bathrooms to only those who require such facilities. only the companion restrooms are all in one facilities. you would probably benefit more by using a Touring Planner and fast pass + to minimize waits and being proactive about using restrooms before entering any lines.

as other have said got to GR and tell to them about what your needs are while waiting in line ( the DAS card is only to help with the lines for rides ) so think about what you will need and what will help you. If you are given a DAS card you do not have to use it so people just use it as a safety net in case they need it.

any one can use the canpaion ( handicap bathrooms here) also first aid

if standing for a long time is a problem ( and even with a DAS card you will be standing for long time) you might want to look into some type of mobility device like a wheel chair or roller ( the thing what has wheels and a set) you do not have to use it to sit in all the time ( most people find that walking helps with disabilities) so you can use it to walk you can park it in each land and go off with out it but if would give you a place to sit so it would be an extra salty net for it you need it.

Last edited:
No one can tell you if you are eligible for DAS or not except Guest Relations CMs at one of the theme parks.
You need to be able to explain what issues related to your disability you expect waiting in the regular line will cause.
The first post in this thread gives more information - don't bother reading farther because the majority of the thread was written just before and just after DAS was begun

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wd...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Hello everyone

We are booked for 2 weeks next July and although I have been to WDW 3 times I have not ever thought of seeing if I am eligible for a DAS card.

I have an Ileostomy bag (so need frequent trips to bathroom) and also have a Spinal Cord Stimulator fitted inside my back for pain control.

Both of these make standing in long lines tricky but I don't usually mention my conditions to anyone and don't class myself as disabled.

What are people's thoughts? I have done WDW before without a DAS card so feel a bit of a fraud trying to get one now but it would certainly make life a lot easier now I know it's an option.

Any thoughts on whether I should be eligible or advice on how to obtain one would be greatly appreciated.

One final question - I have a Radar key to access disabled toilets in the UK as I need a toilet with a sink next to it for my bathroom visits. Do Radar keys work in WDW?

Thanks

Louise
Your best best is going to be to use the rest rooms in First aid and companion restrooms. Companion restrooms can take awhile to access but first aid ones (in my experience) have always been readily accessible. Those are pretty much your only options to have a toilet and sink next to one another. Good luck and have a great trip!!

I think they should discuss this with Guest Relations to see if they will be granted the DAS. This is not a stamina or mobility issue.
Agreed! Not stamina or mobility related at all.

Hello everyone

Thanks

Louise
Another Crohn's patient here, I find the DAS to be very helpful dealing with my bathroom issues.

I also have severe Crohn's and fibro as well. I was looking into a DAS card for my upcoming trip as I have been having a flare and having accidents at the happiest place on Earth is not really on my list of things I want to do!

before you read this some of this might be TMI but thought I would pass along what a friend dose at disney with some similar problems ( I saw her over the weekend and we were talking about Disney and doing disney with a disability came up)

Gleep it looks like you will be at disney right before I will be. Disney is a great place when you get there just stop in to GR and explain your needs as to waiting in lines and see what they say the DAS card is not DX bsed but needs two people can have the same DX and the accommodation be different. I have a friend with fibs she has been to disney before ( I have never got with her) she rents an ECV as she just can not walk that much in the morning she dose more walking and will park the ECV close by and do a few things she then uses her ECV a little more as the day goes on she takes breaks in the afternoon ( I think she dose a late ADR lunch or lose back to the hotel to swim or get in the hot tub whitch she said help her)

I know she has something where when she has to go to the bathroom it is now ( I am not sure what it is I do not think she has Crhns tho) she will bring a change of cloths ( under were and shorts ) just incase ( she really has a change of cloths where ever she goes) and I think she said she lives the change of sloths in a small bag in first aid I know she leave some medication there but she was not that clear if she left the close too ( she has a pair of light weight cloth shorts that she has with her so it takes up no room at all) she also use panttie liners ( I hope this is not too much TMI but she has more of a problem with pee and and some with poop) so she say the liners do help.

I am not sure if she uses the DAS card if she even tried to get one or even know there is such thing.

This
the DAS is only for reasons why you cannot wait in line. any stamina or mobility issues would NOT qualify for a DAS and the standard response by Disney is to use a Mobility aid/device such as a wheelchair, ECV or rollator.

we do not use radar keys or restrict access to handicapped stalls/bathrooms to only those who require such facilities. only the companion restrooms are all in one facilities. you would probably benefit more by using a Touring Planner and fast pass + to minimize waits and being proactive about using restrooms before entering any lines.

This isn't a stamina or a mobility issue,
I myself have gotten a DAS for reasons s similar to this, and also know of quite a few people who have done the same

Bathroom issues should qualify, only way to be sure is to go to Guest Services and ask. As far as using a bathroom, while First Aid might be your best option, just remember it isn't always the most convenient to get to depending on where you are in each park. It may be better to wait for a Companion or Handicap one to become free

"" I need to go to the rest room frequently. It des not make sense to have to lose my place and have to start over at the end of the line each time and I am told that the DAS will help me.""

That is quite a long sentence. Maybe you could come up with something shorter to say to the Guest Relations CM.

OP bless your heart. of course you should qualify for a DAS. this has nothing to do with mobility or stamina issues. go to guest relation and explain why you cannot wait in a regular queue. because of very real medical issues. if the Cm disagrees, ask for a manager. not being able to control bathjroom issues is a very valid reason to shorten the wait time.

Bathroom issues are not a valid reason to enjoy shorter wait times. But the DAS serves a vital purpose here in minimizing the friction that would result had someone with bathroom issues waitd in line in the normal fashion, left the line to take care of those issues and then proceeded back to the point in the line he departed from.

Bathroom issues are not a valid reason to enjoy shorter wait times. But the DAS serves a vital purpose here in minimizing the friction that would result had someone with bathroom issues waitd in line in the normal fashion, left the line to take care of those issues and then proceeded back to the point in the line he departed from.
and if that option were available, I'm sure the OP would be happy. all the OP is looking for is assurance that they can leave the line to use the restroom often, and return where they were.

I do think that would be easier to accomplish in either the FP line or alternative entrance. you make it sound like "bathroom issues" are anyone with kids. yes. almost anyone could say their childre can't wait in a 2 hour line without using the bathroom. we get that, and there are numersou threads on that subject. and people swearing that they refuse to let anyone ahead of them who left to use the bathroom.
we are talking about someone who had a disablility. an illness . with crohns disease, when you gotta go, you gotta go. period. OP, I would explain your needs to the Cm, and a manager if need be. and ask for the DAS. perhaps if you get into the regular line and need to leave, you could get a pass to go into the exit line? but I do believe you are not trying to take advantage of "enjoying" shorter wait times. who can enjoy anything with diarreah type cramps? sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it is with these very real disablilities. (and the very real scare of an accident)
OP, you do what you need to do to advocate for you and your family.. and have a great trip!

I think the OP should talk to GR about there needed when in line I can see the CM going either way on this they can ask to talk to a manager ( if they say no) but even this may not do anything. I would suggest any one who thinks they might need a DAS or be able to get one also plane on not getting one incase the GR says no have your 3 favorite ( or at the tired parks 1) FP booked ( I find the first 60 to 90 minutes the park is open the park has the shortest waits) have a good touring plane so that you are not in long lines if you can take advantage of rope drop ( get there when the park opens) also during parades and fireworks the lines tend to be a little shorter.

there are some show and rides that are long and you can not leave Ellions universe of energy is about 45 minutes and you can not leave this at all. so make sure you know how long something is and if you can leave if need be before going on something or seeing a show ( the CM will know this so ask them)

Castmember at the guest services are better educated now, and also having a DAS does not mean you have to use it on every line, don't feel guilty is a assistance designed to help you enjoy without putting yourself under stress

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter