DAK - AM vs. PM debate

Bandit2018!

Earning My Ears
Will have a park-hopper and have seen a lot about Disney's Animal Kingdom being a 1/2 day park only, but now I'm trying to decide whether to do it in the morning or afternoon because I've heard conflicting reports. I've read that all the animals are more active in the morning if you want to go on the safari or see them in the various habitats. But - I've also read that seeing Pandora in the late afternoon/evening is truly beautiful, and there may be lower crowds. I have not been in over 10 years, so I'm mainly interested in riding rides and having some good snacks (because I've heard it's the best snacking park!). What is the consensus of this group in terms of better time to visit? Thank you for thoughts to help me decide!

For us, AK is a full day park at least, because we love to wander the trails and take in the ambience.

There are some variables that will affect you. Are you getting Genie+? Are you going to buy the FoP ILL? In general AK tens to close at 7 and it is not yet dark. If you are there after the time changes, or they extend hours, then there is the chance to see Pandora after dark. If you are there in the summer months, AK just gets hotter and hotter as they day goes on and you are better off to rope drop.

Pretty much was the previous poster said. Early closing time means you might not see Pandora in the dark depending on when you go.

I think rope drop is the best strategy for AK. When we rope drop (7:30am opening) we are finished by 3 or so and do everything we want. If we only focus on attractions (and not so much wandering trails, etc.), we are finished by lunchtime.

Thank you for the advice! We are planning to have Genie+, and will be going in the later fall. We will also be with a small child, so do not think we will be doing FoP, or roller coasters, but will want to take in Pandora and do the Navi River Journey - and see animals/slower rides in the rest of the park. From what I read we may skip Dinoland as it's a little lacking in worthwhile attractions? I'm sorry I forgot to add in those details!

We tried doing a half day last trip and it was okay but not great. The challenge was that some of what we wanted to experience ended early so even though we had time, the attractions were not running. In particular we missed Kilimanjaro Safari and The Lion King Show.

This trip we probably won't spend a full day in AK but we will arrive earlier than the 2PM we arrived last time. We aren't ones who do the trails or things like that. We mainly do shows and rides.

The last time we held out for a late Safari, there were so few people riding that they made us wait for enough guests to fill the vehicle before pulling out. Then we saw the backsides of almost all the animals as they knew that it was closing time and were headed to the barn.

Then the lion roared and made it all worth it.

we were in November and AK stayed opened late enough to see Pandora in the dark and it was truly stunning! to really maximize experience, we waited until about 5min to closing to get in line to FoP (regular standby line). the line wasn't bad - maybe 30 min? then when we were done, the park was almost empty and we slowly walked through Pandora on the way out and it was one of my favorite memories from DW.
But others are correct - watch your timing for other attractions - anything with animals will likely close around 5pm or so - Safari, walking trails, etc. Last Lion King show was also 5pm. Don't ignore Dinoland - the playground there was my kids' (8 and 4) almost favorite thing in all of DW. They spent a solid hour there. I think it might be closed now but should reopen by the fall. I was also surprised that my 4yo LOVED Expedition Everest! that was his favorite ride in all of DW! he didn't love FoP as the glasses were too big and kept falling off so it was a bit of a mess of a ride for him and for me.
My kids also loved the Affection Station and spent at least half hour chasing after pigs and goats and petting them.
Finally, they both did Explorers Badges and didn't finish all of them.
For us it was a full day and we didn't get to do everything. We did use Genie+ and it was helpful, especially for things like Lion King show where people lined up an hour in advance or otherwise you don't get a seat and we needed to be sure to catch the last show.
If just focusing on rides, you can do it in half day, but if taking it all in and going at slower kids' pace, it's easily a full day. There's also excellent food, so we'd rather take the time to have lunch and dinner there than elsewhere.

First, how old is your child? And will you have a stroller? (Big difference on distances in AK). If you don’t need to hop, and it were me, I would plan to take a slower morning, sleep in, and do a late breakfast at Tusker house. If you time it right, you could get both breakfast and lunch items. Then I would have Festival of Lion King and Safaris stacked back to back, go through Gorilla Falls trail, catch some of the street performers in Harambe, then depending upon showtimes, it would probably be time to catch the Nemo show, which has amazing puppetry, and then go play in dinoland playground.

Then it depends if your child is a Napper. If so, I would go get a drink at Nomad Lounge while the nap happens and ride Navi, assuming you don’t mind walking. If no I would go to Asia, see the bird show if you have time, do the Tiger trail, which name escapes me, and consider child swapping Everest if you want to have some fun.

I would then go to Navi, if you didn’t go earlier, Nomad for some dinner, and child swap FoP shortly before park close to see it after dark. When Pandora is empty and luminescent, it is truly magical. In our experience, they let us take some pics before driving us out.

If you have time in there, Rafikis Train to Affection Station is lots of fun, but might not fit the schedule. If a nap is needed closer to Dinoland, restaurantosaurus has terrible food , but is cool and dim, and has some adult beverages.

It’s Tough to Be A Bug is a classic, and my kids coped age 4 and up, but there is a scary scene with spiders coming down from the ceiling.

Also possible in there are character meet and greets, but you will have seen a number of them at Tusker.

Will have a park-hopper and have seen a lot about Disney's Animal Kingdom being a 1/2 day park only, but now I'm trying to decide whether to do it in the morning or afternoon because I've heard conflicting reports. I've read that all the animals are more active in the morning if you want to go on the safari or see them in the various habitats. But - I've also read that seeing Pandora in the late afternoon/evening is truly beautiful, and there may be lower crowds. I have not been in over 10 years, so I'm mainly interested in riding rides and having some good snacks (because I've heard it's the best snacking park!). What is the consensus of this group in terms of better time to visit? Thank you for thoughts to help me decide!
So my answer will depend what time of year you go. As of right now, AK closes at 7pm so if you visit over the summer months, it won't be dark so seeing pandora at night all lit up is a moot point. But at night, it does look great, and hopefully at some point AK will start to remain open later again.

Yes, I agree that the animals are usually more active early however, we've ridden the safari at all times of day and still enjoy it. The only really compelling reason imo to show up early at AK is if you decide to RD any rides. Beyond that, we can usually accomplish everything we want arriving around 11ish and staying until close to closing and that is with meandering and not rushing around at all.

I don't have little kids and even though my kids and I enjoy seeing the animals, we have a good number of zoos where we live so it's not really that novel for us to see gorillas and the other animals.

If you want to experience just about everything in AK, you need a full day, if not more. On our last trip, we spent two full days in AK. Maybe that's too much for some people, but not us!

I really wish they would keep AK open late year-round. I understand why they don't....but Pandora as a land is kind of like an E ticket attraction in and of itself and much different at night. I also wish they would bring some type of show to the outdoor theater as a successor to Rivers of Light. While it had its flaws, I think the park needs a night show and I actually thought some of the elements of that show were quite beautiful.

I really wish they would keep AK open late year-round. I understand why they don't....but Pandora as a land is kind of like an E ticket attraction in and of itself and much different at night. I also wish they would bring some type of show to the outdoor theater as a successor to Rivers of Light. While it had its flaws, I think the park needs a night show and I actually thought some of the elements of that show were quite beautiful.
I agree, it needs to be open later! Park hours are too short, you can’t get in everything in one day even if you tried. And they need one of the big shows, either FOTLK or Nemo to run later in the day! M

The last time we held out for a late Safari, there were so few people riding that they made us wait for enough guests to fill the vehicle before pulling out. Then we saw the backsides of almost all the animals as they knew that it was closing time and were headed to the barn.

Then the lion roared and made it all worth it.
LOL!

we were in November and AK stayed opened late enough to see Pandora in the dark and it was truly stunning! to really maximize experience, we waited until about 5min to closing to get in line to FoP (regular standby line). the line wasn't bad - maybe 30 min? then when we were done, the park was almost empty and we slowly walked through Pandora on the way out and it was one of my favorite memories from DW.
But others are correct - watch your timing for other attractions - anything with animals will likely close around 5pm or so - Safari, walking trails, etc. Last Lion King show was also 5pm. Don't ignore Dinoland - the playground there was my kids' (8 and 4) almost favorite thing in all of DW. They spent a solid hour there. I think it might be closed now but should reopen by the fall. I was also surprised that my 4yo LOVED Expedition Everest! that was his favorite ride in all of DW! he didn't love FoP as the glasses were too big and kept falling off so it was a bit of a mess of a ride for him and for me.
My kids also loved the Affection Station and spent at least half hour chasing after pigs and goats and petting them.
Finally, they both did Explorers Badges and didn't finish all of them.
For us it was a full day and we didn't get to do everything. We did use Genie+ and it was helpful, especially for things like Lion King show where people lined up an hour in advance or otherwise you don't get a seat and we needed to be sure to catch the last show.
If just focusing on rides, you can do it in half day, but if taking it all in and going at slower kids' pace, it's easily a full day. There's also excellent food, so we'd rather take the time to have lunch and dinner there than elsewhere.
This is such helpful advice! Thank you for the note about the Playground in Dinoland and Affection Station. I am looking forward to the food there since I hear nothing but good reviews about everything to eat in the park!

I agree, it needs to be open later! Park hours are too short, you can’t get in everything in one day even if you tried. And they need one of the big shows, either FOTLK or Nemo to run later in the day! M
Yes I agree! Why does it close so early especially since they have obviously created an experience with Pandora that is magical in the evening?

First, how old is your child? And will you have a stroller? (Big difference on distances in AK). If you don’t need to hop, and it were me, I would plan to take a slower morning, sleep in, and do a late breakfast at Tusker house. If you time it right, you could get both breakfast and lunch items. Then I would have Festival of Lion King and Safaris stacked back to back, go through Gorilla Falls trail, catch some of the street performers in Harambe, then depending upon showtimes, it would probably be time to catch the Nemo show, which has amazing puppetry, and then go play in dinoland playground.

Then it depends if your child is a Napper. If so, I would go get a drink at Nomad Lounge while the nap happens and ride Navi, assuming you don’t mind walking. If no I would go to Asia, see the bird show if you have time, do the Tiger trail, which name escapes me, and consider child swapping Everest if you want to have some fun.

I would then go to Navi, if you didn’t go earlier, Nomad for some dinner, and child swap FoP shortly before park close to see it after dark. When Pandora is empty and luminescent, it is truly magical. In our experience, they let us take some pics before driving us out.

If you have time in there, Rafikis Train to Affection Station is lots of fun, but might not fit the schedule. If a nap is needed closer to Dinoland, restaurantosaurus has terrible food , but is cool and dim, and has some adult beverages.

It’s Tough to Be A Bug is a classic, and my kids coped age 4 and up, but there is a scary scene with spiders coming down from the ceiling.

Also possible in there are character meet and greets, but you will have seen a number of them at Tusker.
Thank you for the thoughtful response! So helpful and OMG - I'm glad you included that note about spiders in Tough to be a Bug - I am NOT a fan and that would have been an unpleasant surprise for me!! Sadly naps are long gone; although my daughter is 5 we are going back and forth about brining the stroller for convenience if we need to get around quicker than her little legs can walk!

I don't think there is a wrong answer, unless park hours are late enough to allow you to see Pandora at night. If they aren't, it won't matter too much.

We have a 3 year old and love AK but never stay all day. During busy times, the animal trails are so slammed with people that you can't even see anything much less wander aimlessly. It's a really frustrating experience and we bail quickly - checking the crowd calendar might be helpful.

He LOVES the Dinoland playground and would never leave if we didn't make him. We've literally gone to AK and done nothing but the playground (we are AP's who live not far away - would not recommend for someone paying $$$!). It's got some shade and seating so I always grab a coffee and use it as downtime.

He also loves the "animal train" to the petting zoo area. This closes early so would be a plus to an earlier start.

100% bring the stroller. AK has a lot of walking and is always 10+ degrees hotter than the other parks. Plus it gives you a drink holder :)

I appreciate all the great advice - definitely going to rethink and start in the AM and see how we do - maybe will be a full day! Thank you!

With a little one, AK can be a full day for sure. You take the train to the petting zoo. If you get lucky, you can see the vets doing something with the animals. If they're old enough, they can watch the D+ about the vets too. They film it right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter